Firebrand & Stormcaller Threat issues?

I was doing EC HM 8 man last night. I started on stormcaller every time and I would lose aggro at least twice (meaning I had no taunt up to change to firebrand or DPS would die on stormcaller side due to taking DD and getting one shotted by the cleave).

We gave up and went to go to EC SM just for easy black hole commendations and one shotted Stormcaller and firebrand with no aggro issues whatsoever on EC NM.

guardian tank (played by me)

commando healer & DPS

and sentinel DPS

the classes above where what we had on stormcaller

Wondered if anyone else had had aggro problems? or if I was just failing badly them few tries?

Edited by demoncookie

I'm ( jedi guardian aswell) are also losing aggro on stormcaller. But thats mainly becuase our dps are putting out to much damage at the start of the pull.

What bothers me most is that when tanking stormcaller i get no stacks of fully talented "Courage" and not a single Riposte proc when fighting hem. Its been this way at every try we made on this boss

Normally I'm okay with the group we are running worked fine with toth and zorn didn't lose aggro once unless i ****ed my taunts up at the beginning

doesn't really explain how we could go into SM and have no problem at all (though we did change the people play) changed a GS for commando and swap the sentinels around.

Other guardian tank said he has no problem which i find extremely weird :/

Not ashamed to admit it, but I had to switch to Firebrand and let our Assassin tank Stormcaller at the beginning. That pretty much alleviated all threat issues. I did start popping a power adrenal at the beginning of the fight as well even on the Firebrand side to ensure I held aggro.

I'm ( jedi guardian aswell) are also losing aggro on stormcaller. But thats mainly becuase our dps are putting out to much damage at the start of the pull.

What bothers me most is that when tanking stormcaller i get no stacks of fully talented "Courage" and not a single Riposte proc when fighting hem. Its been this way at every try we made on this boss

I'm not a tank, but as a Sentinel I do have Riposte. Take a look at the damage type that Stormcaller does and the types that have to be defended for Riposte to proc. Courage may be affected just the same.

If you are having threat issues, pop a power adrenal when you first jump in, and start off the fight using a STR stim. Make sure your rotation has hilt strike, guardian slash, and Master strike early. Order the dps on your side to use their aggro dumps.

If taunts and the extra damage from the power adrenal an str stim arent enough, then you might want to double check your itemization, spec, and rotation.

I tank SC on HM at the beginning of the fight as a guardian and have no issues.

• 2 months later...
If you are having threat issues, pop a power adrenal when you first jump in, and start off the fight using a STR stim. Make sure your rotation has hilt strike, guardian slash, and Master strike early. Order the dps on your side to use their aggro dumps.

If taunts and the extra damage from the power adrenal an str stim arent enough, then you might want to double check your itemization, spec, and rotation.

I tank SC on HM at the beginning of the fight as a guardian and have no issues.

when do you use your single taunt? also do you follow it up with the aoe taunt ?

If you're having threat issues I recommend the following:

1) DPS stim

2) DPS adrenal

3) Use your single-target taunt at the 4-6 second mark, then your AOE once the first taunt falls off

If you're still having issues, you'll need to defer to your other tank. Guardian threat gen is the lowest of the three tanks. That might be the issue as well.

edit: I'm also assuming you're 31 points up the Guardian tree and not hybrid. Hybrid has no chance to hold threat on SC.

Edited by Mavery

If you're having threat issues I recommend the following:

1) DPS stim

2) DPS adrenal

3) Use your single-target taunt at the 4-6 second mark, then your AOE once the first taunt falls off

If you're still having issues, you'll need to defer to your other tank. Guardian threat gen is the lowest of the three tanks. That might be the issue as well.

edit: I'm also assuming you're 31 points up the Guardian tree and not hybrid. Hybrid has no chance to hold threat on SC.

Last night i tanked 8-man HM Stormcaller and Firebrand on my Jugg ALT (main sniper) and I encountered this problem with stormcaller. I never had that issue with stormcaller before but i guess with the dps sitting at min max gear and the spec changes... hard to tell. I do 3) all the time. Well i do backhand->crushing blow->smash->scream->clipped ravage->single taunt.

Will try 1) and 2) next time if i get the chance to tank on my jugg again.

Will try popping adrenal and the stim next time! Thanks for the tip. Also we ran with TWO (yes two) Juggernaut alt tanks and as you can imagine, it did not work out too well the first few attempts to get rid of that annoying second DD.

We were able to get past this problem though by having the SM Jugg tank use his taunt (that he would otherwise use for the tank swap) to keep aggro, after which we do the tank swap (we have no taunters), and the other jugg tank blows Saber ward to tank both SM and FB, while positioning himself so no one gets cleaved for around 2 GCDs. (after some 2 GCDs ~ish, the other jugg tank is able to taunt FB back to him)

Hovertanks is one of the few boss encounters where I have ever had trouble holding aggro with just my normal attack rotation; firing both of my taunts a few seconds into the fight solves that problem, and gets the single-taunt back up in plenty of time to tank swap for Incinerate Armor.

I was doing EC HM 8 man last night. I started on stormcaller every time and I would lose aggro at least twice (meaning I had no taunt up to change to firebrand or DPS would die on stormcaller side due to taking DD and getting one shotted by the cleave).

We gave up and went to go to EC SM just for easy black hole commendations and one shotted Stormcaller and firebrand with no aggro issues whatsoever on EC NM.

guardian tank (played by me)

commando healer & DPS

and sentinel DPS

the classes above where what we had on stormcaller

Wondered if anyone else had had aggro problems? or if I was just failing badly them few tries?

What spec Guard tank are you? If you are losing threat to DPS on high end raids then I am guessing you are 31 Def tree spec'ed or near it. The problem I was having with that tree is that the talent points do not give significant returns on investment, and on top of that DPS gear scales well where as defensive gear does not. So really its a 2-fold issue, finding that balance between gear and spec. If you are spec'ed up the Def tree then consider swapping out your def/shield/absorb augments for DPS. Or vice versa if you hybrid, go crazy with the def/shield/absorb augments. Since 1.3 I found that the hybrid route is the best way to go (Overhead Slash + Commanding Awe) and I load up my gear with def/shield/absorb augments. I am able to single tank anything without using taunts. In fact I save my taunts for any swaps or when I get creative (Combat Focus + Enure + Focused Defense + Challenging Call/Single Taunt)

Edited by Kil-Gorbane

This is the only fight where i think threat is an issue in the whole game. I'm a PT tank and do sometimes get aggro pulled from me.

1. Make sure that mara is has guard(even have the other tank guard the mrec there is no range limit for guard in pve)

2. As many others stated wait 4-6 secs to use taunt or wait untill you maras blood thirst is about up

3. If u did taunt 4-6 in use your Aoe or single target if off cd at the end of the double destruction cast

4. If your dps is pulling the aggro 10-15 seconds in to the fight(right before DD cast) dont taunt back until DD is cast... u want it on the dps anywho

5. If you followed this u should be able to just use your single target on CD aoe for emergency's for the first couple times up on the tank after getting up on the tank for the 3rd and 4th times your threat should be high enough to not use a taunt

6. If all else falls roll a PT much more fun than a juggy IMO(have all 3 tanks at max lvl)

Couple suggestions.

1. Taunt from beyond melee range. You get 130% of the threat, instead of 110%.

2. Stormcaller is 100% tech attacks. You will never Dodge/Shield any of his attacks. You may have a couple percent chance to resist. You will never see a reactive from the aforementioned abilities because of that.