Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

LordExozone

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?

Why would a powertech want a rifle? All their weapons are built into their armour. Since you only resort to a side-arm when your armour overheats, carrying a bulky weapon would be stupid.

Because its a matter of taste. I prefer rifles to pistols in most cases even in RL. Plus, not all rifles have to be bulky. Go with carbines instead, similar look but less clumsy.

I really wished BHs used rifles and IAs used pistols. BHs usually go in guns ablazing, so a rifle would fit perfectly and IAs are more about stealth, espionage, assassination, that kind of stuff, so wouldn't it make sense for them to use discrete weapons like a pistol (Unless of course you go Sniper, but it would make sense for Operatives)? Edited by Ardim

Personally I dont have the pistol's I just hate their animations and overall size compared to a BH's HEAVY armor. Its like a tank with a 10mm grenade launcher instead of a main cannon. Alot of the time I wish I could just un-equip it or have a wrist laser equipped. Beyond that what I REALLY want is the wrist launchers and flame throwers to be their all the time not just "appear" then vanish after use.

In my opinion a rifle would be a nice, but purely "cosmetic" change.

However, powertech is very short range / melee class, we are right before/behind the enemy most of the time (rocket jump, grapple, flame thrower, retractable blade, etc., etc.), so I think vibroswords would be a logical weapon of choice. It's one handed, works well with almost all of our other abilites, practically only the basic attack and Unload are using the blaster itself.

It would be great to have a vibrosword to emphasize the melee-like style, also basic attack/unload can be easily mirrored to for example slash and hack&slash (should work the same as the above mentioned blaster-specific abilities but with vibroswords in melee range).

What do you think folks (and devs if you read this thread)?

That's a good idea! On the flip side, just make blaster rifles one-handed if they aren't already (from a game mechanics perspective) because only certain advanced classes can use them anyway and none of them dual-wield.

Blaster rifles only take 1 slot. My operative has kaliyo a merc subtype companion geared with a blaster rifle and shield. My operative uses a blaster rifle and has a vibroknife offhand.

Just be thankful powertechs correctly handle a pistol.

In my opinion a rifle would be a nice, but purely "cosmetic" change.

However, powertech is very short range / melee class, we are right before/behind the enemy most of the time (rocket jump, grapple, flame thrower, retractable blade, etc., etc.), so I think vibroswords would be a logical weapon of choice. It's one handed, works well with almost all of our other abilites, practically only the basic attack and Unload are using the blaster itself.

It would be great to have a vibrosword to emphasize the melee-like style, also basic attack/unload can be easily mirrored to for example slash and hack&slash (should work the same as the above mentioned blaster-specific abilities but with vibroswords in melee range).

What do you think folks (and devs if you read this thread)?

Do you like your heat free attack being a ranged attack. Functionally the most important thing of the main hand weapon is it drives your resource free attack being melee or ranged as the dev's implemented the game.

SI - Lightsaber - melee

Merc - Blaster - ranged

IA - rifle - ranged

etc...

ranged = better

Honestly, I think it's flat out silly that there's so many restrictions on weapon choices in the game, in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 you could use any damn weapon you wanted, lightsaber, vibroblade, vibrosword, pistol, carbine, rifle, sniper rifle, heavy repeater, et cetera.

Why shouldn't every ranged class get access to every ranged weapon practically?, Why can't my trooper use a blaster pistol? He has one right there on his hip. Why can't my Bounty Hunter tote around a Carbine like Boba Fett, or Bossk, Or IG-88, or Dengar, or Almost every bounty hunter we've ever seen in Star Wars? Why can't an Agent use a pistol like a real secret agent would be able to?.

None of it makes any gameplay sense and it's really mostly cosmetics.

Agreed wholeheartedly, It always made no sense to me that bounty hunters were restricted to pistols and agents used rifles. I think it would make so much more sense considering the archetypes the classes are built on if they would switch, BH use rifles and Agents use pistols. The mechanics are already in place for it to work since on the republic side vanguards use rifles and scoundrels use pistols. Why my stealthy agent carries around a blaster as big as he is while stabbing people with a knife is beyond me.

IMO

Powertech could conceivably use rifles with all the same skills and they could simply be swapable with a slight cooldown of two or three seconds - holster and unholster other weapon- so it can be exploited in combat.

With blaster equiped, Powertech has access to off-hand generators and would not have a penalty at close range using the weapon. (Close range being within 5m).

With rifle equiped, Powertech would lose off-hand bonus, but gain higher DPS advantage. However, once an enemy would be within 5 meters, keeping a rifle equiped would affect blaster damage considerably to the point where it's not a good idea to keep the Rifle out.

This would encourage a Powertech to either get more range by moving, stunning, etc, or swapping for blaster/off-hand, suffering the cooldown (which could be mitigated by a well timed stun) and then continue on.

I would actually think this an elegant solution for the other Blaster only / Riflle only classes.

Dual wielding classes such as the Merc and Gunslinger, would not have access to Riffles however.

Something like that could probably work.

Cheers!

Honestly, I think it's flat out silly that there's so many restrictions on weapon choices in the game, in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 you could use any damn weapon you wanted, lightsaber, vibroblade, vibrosword, pistol, carbine, rifle, sniper rifle, heavy repeater, et cetera.

Preventing loot etc... from rolling need on items better for other people and the resulting arguements.

Functionally I think that's the main reason. Call it the hunter factor.

Actually you CAN use a blaster RIFLE in one hand, and a shield/genorator in the other.

My agents first pet does that. Plus on republic troopers, I think at 10 commandos get assault cannon, but the tank ac (vanguard?) use rifle/shield.

I agree whole heartedly with BH's having access to blaster rifles.

Obviously mercs shouldn't be able to dual wield them, but it makes a lot more sense on powertechs (either tank or dps).

You don't graphically see the shield or power generator, so why not use a blaster rifle?

Just make it an option to use either, and have the difference be more aesthetic.

HOWEVER I think one raeson they may have done this is to set bounty hunters / troopers apart more. We're more unique from eachother this way.

easy solution...

make it a legacy talent say you need legacy 15 or whatever for your BH to use a rifle lol

See, this is a good idea. Allow characters to have access to the weapons of other classes which you have played to whatever level(say, 35 or 40), with the obvious restriction that non-force users can't get lightsabers.

So if you have a 50 BH Powertech, and a 45 Agent Operative, your PT can buy training from a new "legacy skills" trainer to use Blaster Rifles, and your Operative could go to the same vendor and buy training for a single Pistol. Restrict access to the legacy skills vendor to Legacy Level Y or above. Boom, players who feel that the aesthetic difference is something they care about have an avenue to acquire the weapon they want, but it still requires some effort.

However it's done, they really should open up which weapons are available, the restrictions as they stand are completely arbitrary, and frankly the way they use PvP'rs as an excuse(identification of class) is a little insulting to our intelligence.

YOU DO THE SAME DAMAGE WITH A PISTOL, THEREFOR YOU ARE BETTER THAN PEOPLE THAT USE RIFLES.

How is this hard for people?

Pistols are much harder to use than rifles. If you shoot better with a pistol than some one that uses a rifle you are more skilled than they are.

So why not something like a shotgun? These are close range weapons but looks totally bad***.

Scatterguns do not have the Tier 1 and Tier 2 Prefixes, meaning the crafted versions will not have +Power, +Shield or +Defense + Shield, etc. I'd rather the devs allow the Vibroknives and Scatterguns get the proper prefixes first.

easy solution...

make it a legacy talent say you need legacy 15 or whatever for your BH to use a rifle lol

I think this is the winner. It does seem like customization is going to be an aspect of the Legacy system; we did see a Miraluka Sith Warrior in the video after all. I know it makes loot management a little bit messy, but hopefully that can be overcome in some fashion.