BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

psandak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of the "class stories" were the meat of the game sorts. I had to get over that, though as time went on although I did just take a stroll down memory lane with the class stories. I have NEVER been in a rush to end game in MMOs because that's where the troubles usually start (for me). I'm not a raider (EQ cured me of that) nor am I a competitive sort so gearing up isn't a priority. My stance on gear is so long as it's good enough to get me through whatever content I'm doing, I'm good and since I don't do OPs or PvP, I'm pretty easy on gear.

I think the folks I know are about 50/50 on this. Those who consider everything prior to end-game as something that needs to be done to get to end-game and those like myself for whom it's the journey, not the destination.

I like both the original stories and operations very much.

Personally, I think people should realize that this game needs to cater to multiple player groups to survive. Doing only group content is bad and doing only story content is equally bad. Same for PvP. Those who come here to maintain that group content is just a minor addition to the game or vice versa are deluding themselves. I am glad to see BW are looking at more things now at the same time. If they do that in a larger scale in the next expansion, then I think this game will fare a lot better than it has been this year.

Personally, I think people should realize that this game needs to cater to multiple player groups to survive. Doing only group content is bad and doing only story content is equally bad. Same for PvP. Those who come here to maintain that group content is just a minor addition to the game or vice versa are deluding themselves. I am glad to see BW are looking at more things now at the same time. If they do that in a larger scale in the next expansion, then I think this game will fare a lot better than it has been this year.

Agreed! Everything we do inside the game is just a mini-game. No mini-game is better than any other mini-game and some players like multiple types of the mini-games. They all need attention!

I'm a selfish pig. :) I want more story. Always more story. MORE STORY!

That said, whilst I don't indulge in OPs or PvP, I absolutely agree that content should be there and GOOD content, not just "oh here, go hit each other" or "here you go, a really tough boss with nothing special just a squintillion HPs).

Back to me being a selfish pig. I want more of the class type storylines. I didn't mind the whole KoTFE etc. bits but I really miss the more specific to "me" stuff. I guess that makes me a spoilt, selfish pig.

I can live with that.

@IoNonSoEVero,

I saw your post in "call for patience" a thread about RP and server merges. and I just have a comment about a statement you made:

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Before you jump on me as a "hardcore player" who wants nothing but group content, that cannot be further from the truth. I love the story aspect of SWTOR, I love the ability to play solo when I want to. But I also want new and challenging group content.

As someone that does everything.

If they'd cared about story oriented players, they wouldn't of made KOTFE. That KILLED the story. SWTOR had a great story going on, and, oh look squirrell!!!!!!

Storyminded folks went through just as big a drought as raiders and flashpoint runners, except now we still don't have story but there are new fp's and raids.

The DL mechanic and spawning special world bosses was raid content. So it wasn't just two years of story only, they added a lot of raid bosses that raiders some how ignore as having been made.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

I'm a selfish pig. :) I want more story. Always more story. MORE STORY!

That said, whilst I don't indulge in OPs or PvP, I absolutely agree that content should be there and GOOD content, not just "oh here, go hit each other" or "here you go, a really tough boss with nothing special just a squintillion HPs).

Back to me being a selfish pig. I want more of the class type storylines. I didn't mind the whole KoTFE etc. bits but I really miss the more specific to "me" stuff. I guess that makes me a spoilt, selfish pig.

I can live with that.

It's only selfish if you insist on it at the expense of others, which in this case is even counter-productive.

I would love a return to class stories myself. I played through the agent story again last weekend. I couldn' stop. Also made sure I stayed on level or just below. So much better that way. It was just really good. Of course I want more of that.

But there better be more operations, flash points, warzones, gsf maps and more improvements to keep conquest and decorating fun as well, so that there will still be a game to have these stories in.

Once this game closes it's doors (which I hope is still many years away) there will be no more replaying them. I want BW to do better so that this game will last a good while still.

It's only selfish if you insist on it at the expense of others, which in this case is even counter-productive.

I would love a return to class stories myself. I played through the agent story again last weekend. I couldn' stop. Also made sure I stayed on level or just below. So much better that way. It was just really good. Of course I want more of that.

But there better be more operations, flash points, warzones, gsf maps and more improvements to keep conquest and decorating fun as well, so that there will still be a game to have these stories in.

Once this game closes it's doors (which I hope is still many years away) there will be no more replaying them. I want BW to do better so that this game will last a good while still.

We are in accord. Whilst I don't avail myself of a fair bit of provided content in this game, I have no qualms about that content being in the game and supported.

Whilst I get frustrated sometimes and daydream about knocking some heads together at BW, I can also appreciate how much juggling there is to maintaining an MMO. The very idea makes me twitch.

We are in accord. Whilst I don't avail myself of a fair bit of provided content in this game, I have no qualms about that content being in the game and supported.

Whilst I get frustrated sometimes and daydream about knocking some heads together at BW, I can also appreciate how much juggling there is to maintaining an MMO. The very idea makes me twitch.

Then I fear you may not be a selfish pig after all ;)

I play mainly for the story and strongholds, as a solo-er. Story is awesome and for me the best part of the entire game.

I suppose though, in the interim, the changes they're making to the servers structure/populations is the dominating task at hand. I'm hoping once that stuff is cleared away they'll announce more about story, as I do look forward to that and hope it won't be months and months away, as there are resolutions that I care about, like Theron.

I also hope that they'll make a great story for Scourge and possibly make him romanceable, many of us have wanted him for like 6 years...but I'm willing to wait if they do the story and the character justice.

So, I guess, typical to this game, there is waiting involved...*waits* :(

Then I fear you may not be a selfish pig after all ;)

Drats.

I really want this game to carry on but I want it to carry on with stuff that I like which is, unfortunately, not even half of what's on offer. I'm nervous about my beloved story content. I kind of feel like we're not going to see the likes of the class stories again which, if true, is sad. There were bits of the KoTFE etc. that I quite enjoyed and bits that I ground my teeth and slogged through.

Eh...no sense in worrying over what is to come. Time enough to react when it actually comes to fruition.

I don't get why the people that want story are upset.

They are getting new story chapters, but now the studio is also adapting them to be flashpoints that can be either soloed or done with groups.

KotFE and KotET style story is still happening, it's just being developed so that it can do double duty as a flashpoint.

So why are solo players upset about that?

They are getting new story chapters, but now the studio is also adapting them to be flashpoints that can be either soloed or done with groups.

KotFE and KotET style story is still happening, it's just being developed so that it can do double duty as a flashpoint.

Those really aren't chapters. They are glorified breadcrumb quests. The story quality of FE/ET was mediocre at best and the quality of the story in Iokath took a nosedive from there. Umbara is playing limbo with story quality. So telling people they are going to get another very brief piece of crap is hardly comforting.

Those really aren't chapters. They are glorified breadcrumb quests. The story quality of FE/ET was mediocre at best and the quality of the story in Iokath took a nosedive from there. Umbara is playing limbo with story quality. So telling people they are going to get another very brief piece of crap is hardly comforting.

The only way to really make a satisfying story, is remove the deviation towards this new story from SOR, then start from there.

Make a story where each class is just a part, and no one is the center. Put us back to our companions as a family, sticking together. Leave betrayals to temporary companions that get introduced, but keep our crew limited, and loyal.

A mad sith making an uprising on Ziost, the Republic taking advantage and invading the world: essentially a reverse situation of Correllia, this is where the story could of and perhaps should of gone after Yavin.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

How long did it take you to complete the last story flashpoint? 20 minutes? And it is one of only two story updates we received so far for the entire year. How much does it cost to subscribe for the year? And you wonder why some story players are upset? There was also no expansion or even one new planet with quests and a planetary arc.

In the other story content we received this year two companions returned, but they had very little part in the story and almost no dialogue. Compare this with the chapters where the companions were part of the story and had dialogue. I am now worried that other major companions such as Vector will return in an alliance alert instead of being part of the story. :(

How long did it take you to complete the last story flashpoint? 20 minutes? And it is one of only two story updates we received so far for the entire year. How much does it cost to subscribe for the year? And you wonder why some story players are upset? There was also no expansion or even one new planet with quests and a planetary arc.

In the other story content we received this year two companions returned, but they had very little part in the story and almost no dialogue. Compare this with the chapters where the companions were part of the story and had dialogue. I am now worried that other major companions such as Vector will return in an alliance alert instead of being part of the story. :(

Kudos. As I said before for the first time in years I am beginning to wonder what I stay subsribed for...No expansion, no planetary arcs, no side quests, no meaningful roles for returning companions....2 crappy FPs with almost no story in them...its that bad. And seeing this roadmap 2018 is more of the same. Also such group content in the likes a of a few fps, barely half an ops and 1-2 maps is nothing if it is all we receive for an year...if it was 3-4 months fine, but an year - no. I enjoy group content...but the one we received for a whole this year i can grind a week or two before i get bored from it....what do people suggest we do for the remaining weeks of the year...

Edited by ExarSun

how long does it take to do rav or TOS? an hour? they were crap so we can say that the last real ops were df/dp 3 years ago. 2 hours of content that is supposed to keep us subscribed for 3 years?

Just out of curiosity, what did the players preferring story and solo content do before 4.0/5.0, once they were done with the expansion story? Played RotH one time as a Rep and as an Imp, did SoR once? Stopped playing or replayed what was there?

Back then there was one bigger chunk of story with the expansion release and the rest until the next expansion was the same "5 min" little pieces of the introduction of either new daily areas, like Section X, Czerka and to a degree Oricon (as there it was the introduction of the two Ops), events or FPs and Ops?

Ziost is the only exception being a bigger addition story wise, while on the other hand it was at the same time introducing the daily area and the one boss raid too. So not stand alone for only one niche either.

Czerka story is essentially the little conversation at the fleet, doing dailys and the FPs one time and then another conversation at the fleet. Same for Sec X, though with HK there is something one could sort it into the story category but with FPs needed (befor the solo mode) and the searching being easier in groups it also was a group activity.

From 1.0 to the 3.0 cycle the story coming with patches was never stand alone, it was always also an introducing element for new activities like daily areas, events, FPs and ops, Strongholds and so on. It was always a mix.

So why is going back to this mixed and as such more balanced approach to all activities this bad and such a surprise? Or are those who yell for story like that all new players since 4.0 and don't remember the way content was released before?

The quality of the content or if you like it or not, is a whole other discussion and that there is not enough new coming on all fronts is something we all know. Though with the limited resources a mix with something for everyone is way better than waiting months and years for new stuff for your specific niche.

At least in my opinion, but after all I dabble in all activities in-game even the occasional WZ once every few months, except for Uprisings, I just don't do them.

To keep things in perspective, raiders complained bitterly the entire time they were neglected. They did not suffer in silence. It shouldn't come as any surprise that story players will similarly complain while they are being similarly neglected.

Raiders always complain. the dev's could release 20 full raids and the raiders would still *****. It's in their nature.

That said, as a story/pvp player, I agree.. it's about time to the others groups get some love.

Just out of curiosity, what did the players preferring story and solo content do before 4.0/5.0, once they were done with the expansion story? Played RotH one time as a Rep and as an Imp, did SoR once? Stopped playing or replayed what was there?

Ran alts though. Made different choices, and different LI's. Also RP'ed. And PVP'ed.

I raided for 10 years in WOW. I play this game so I don't have to raid.

After I finished 3.0 story content with my two toons, I did a few group content on the said planet annnnnd stopped playing SWTOR for a bit. Then came back to start a new toon and level that one.

I usually came back to SWTOR for the new story update and went off to play a single player game that was on my list to recent releases to play. Or another MMO. Oh, I also had this another game called real life to take care of. Such an annoying game out of all I've played :D

Despite the lack of meaty story content, now compared to FEET and vanilla, I'm of the camp that the devs need to tweak and continue the multiplayer aspect since SWTOR is marketed as an MMO. I would love for more meaty story contents, but still ... this is an MMO.

Recently, someone asked me what MMO I play and I said SWTOR. And the best way to recommend that person to jump into SWTOR to take a break from WOW was that it's one of the few MMOs with great story content. But what about after the vanilla and FEET? There's barely anything... I can't recommend SWTOR for its raids or heroics ... because I can't think of it being awesome vs what's in WOW?? I can't sell SWTOR for its graphics to ... let's say BDO? Or Ashes of Creation? Can't sell it for character creator...

That's my two cents tho...

instead of giving us new story, I want them to focus next on gameplay improvement in vanilla game.

Lets be honest: new stories released are short or lame. Paying a sub for Iokath? Or Umbara? This is a joke.

KOTFE and KOTET gameplay with hordes of skytroopers was poor. (On veteran it is a bit more fun as we can actually die. )

With limited resources as they have, I -a story player - want them to release new content for group play. Let it be new pvp or raid, don't matter. They are poor in stories now -and the stories are very short or have boring gameplay. So no new stories please.

What I'll be doing in this game, and I imagine new players too is going through vanilla stories again. This time on merged servers (aplause for that -great idea, great effort -hope it goes well) , so lowbie flashpoints and pvp will be present.

If they want to do something for us, story players: look at the vanilla gameplay. See how dumbed down, easy, "streamlined" in a bad way it is. Add veteran mode to vanilla stories (class, planetary and quests), or balance xp gain better, or whatever.

Keith, Musco, Charles, or any office temp -go create a level 1 any class character and go through prelude and chapter 1. Say the comp strength, mob strength, boss strength, leveling pace is ok. That it is fun and engaging experience.

It is not. It used to be. Look at it and fix what needs to be fixed. Instead of trying to come up with new stories with your limited resources

Keith, Musco, Charles, or any office temp -go create a level 1 any class character and go through prelude and chapter 1. Say the comp strength, mob strength, boss strength, leveling pace is ok. That it is fun and engaging experience.

It is not. It used to be. Look at it and fix what needs to be fixed. Instead of trying to come up with new stories with your limited resources

Just about finished doing this. It had been years since I did all the original stories. Have to disagree, I've had a lot of fun re-doing the stories.

I don't know if they have the staff to bring out new content like those original stories or the budget, no idea but I would love to see more like it. KoTFE etc. was okay but I'm not crazy about being funneled down as we were.