'Revan' book question

Kirasavior

I'm considering picking up the book because it looks like a good. But I have a quick question about the story. I haven't played either KOTOR games, and are not sure if playing them is necessary to understand what is going on within the story.

In a nutshell. Will it be necessary for me to have played KOTOR in order to follow up well with reading the book? Answers greatly appreciated!

It will help you understand, but I don't think it is necessary. The book works in summaries of the backstories. Also, you can find the back story for both games somewhere online I'm sure. The games are great, though - you should try to play them at some point if you have the time! Edited by zdiggy

I would play the games myself. But then again I have... numerous times. :rak_tongue:

I recomend sticking with the pc versions, however. Aside from the Xbox game on Xbox 360 bugs, the included dlc and restored content mod for #2 make the pc prefereable.

It will help you understand, but I don't think it is necessary. The book works in summaries of the backstories. Also, you can find the back story for both games somewhere online I'm sure. The games are great, though - you should try to play them at some point if you have the time!

I actually would REALLY like to if I could get my hands on them at some point. I've just been especially hungry for something good to read lately that is Star Wars oriented. Plus he is a large character I really would like to know a lot better of. I would like to play the KOTOR games at some point though, definately. :)

it's a terrible novel that pretty much disregards anything that happen in the game series this mmo was based on that didn't suit the author's odd taste aka 90 % of the game lore why bioware would include such a poorly written novel is beyond me

but they obviously have no respect for their pre established lore

As others have said, you don't need to have played the two KOTOR games to understand the novel, because it does do a fairly good job at summarizing the major points of the games. It might increase your enjoyment of the novel to have played the games, though, since you'll have a more firm grasp on certain characters.

Both games are absolutely worth playing. KOTOR I is a classic good versus evil Star Wars tale, while KOTOR II is more of a deconstruction. KOTOR I can be downloaded via Valve's Steam platform, so that makes it very easy to get. If you do play KOTOR II, I highly suggest doing so with The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod installed. Obsidian Entertainment, the developers, were rushed to ship the game by publisher LucasArts, so there is a great deal of content that never made it into the retail version of the game.

As for Revan itself, I do think it's worth reading for someone interested in Revan and the Jedi Exile (the player character in TSL, who gains a name in the novel). I'm a big fan of both games, and enjoyed the novel quite a bit. The author has worked for BioWare for years, including on the writing team for KOTOR I and on the writing team for SWTOR, so he wasn't some outsider hired by Del Rey and/or LucasArts who isn't intimately familiar with the lore.

As has been mentioned already, it's not necessary to play KotOR or KotOR II to understand Revan (it has enough reminders of what happened in the games to make it reasonably easy to pick up). But having said that KotOR is one of the best RPG's I've ever played and if you get a chance to play it first I would.

don't matter its total trash and bioware should be ashamed of them self the other novels are similiar ... *** moments maybe they should think of firing that novelist

You mean the novelist who wrote KOTOR and worked heavily on TOR? The one who created the Revan character and his story?

don't matter its total trash and bioware should be ashamed of them self the other novels are similiar ... *** moments maybe they should think of firing that novelist

You do realize that without that particular author, nearly every game that Bioware has released would not be remotely as good as they are, right? Writer for Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire. Lead Writer for KOTOR (Revan is his character), Mass Effect and co-lead writer for ME2.

I thoroughly enjoyed Revan myself. I had a bit of a concern with the pacing in a couple of spots, but outside of that, it was a good read. As for the comment that most of the book was about the Sith character portrayed, for the first half of the book, the chapters alternated between Revan and Scourge and, after Revan's dropping out for a few chapters, Meetra (The Exile) took his place until he more completely rejoined the story. And, frankly, Revan doesn't completely leave the story after the first half. (Deliberate vagueness due to not wanting to spoil the story for those who may not have read it.)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However, it might be more respectful to let others make their own decision whether or not to pick up the book, give it a read and form their own opinions...as that's really the only opinion that matters.

You do realize that without that particular author, nearly every game that Bioware has released would not be remotely as good as they are, right? Writer for Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire. Lead Writer for KOTOR (Revan is his character), Mass Effect and co-lead writer for ME2.

I thoroughly enjoyed Revan myself. I had a bit of a concern with the pacing in a couple of spots, but outside of that, it was a good read. As for the comment that most of the book was about the Sith character portrayed, for the first half of the book, the chapters alternated between Revan and Scourge and, after Revan's dropping out for a few chapters, Meetra (The Exile) took his place until he more completely rejoined the story. And, frankly, Revan doesn't completely leave the story after the first half. (Deliberate vagueness due to not wanting to spoil the story for those who may not have read it.)

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However, it might be more respectful to let others make their own decision whether or not to pick up the book, give it a read and form their own opinions...as that's really the only opinion that matters.

the novelist may have been good once upon a time but rewritting the eitire lore of kotor pretty much .... not cool