Scoundrel Healing 101

bshenkd

Afaik, presence only or mostly influences the abilities of your companions. Someone correct me if i am wrong :)

Yup. Presence only increases the "combat effectiveness of your companions".

Cunning is your PRIMARY stat as it increases almost everything across the board for Smugglers AND Imperial Agents. It increases damage dealt, healing dealt, your critical chance, and a couple of other stats; whereas, lets say Aim, only increases your tech damage (or range damage, can't remember which).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of comments from a FP PvE'er...

I found that I had to respec to pure sawbones to do Mandalorian Raiders, in order to get slow release med-pack. I also put points in diagnostic scan's critical and patient studies at that time. Before I had points in dirty fighting in order to get dirty escape, increase crit, and increase alacrity. At level 30, I find that being pure sawbones is difficult solo but not unworkable.

I find that in Flash Points, with a good tank in the group, I can keep up SRMP*2 and keep hitting diagnostic scan to keep the tank healed for most fights. With all DS points filled, it has a 50% chance to crit (I have about 25% chance plus 24% from points) and fills up power nicely. Then I burst heal when needed and place SRMP's on other members. On long fights, which generally has low sustained damage from one mob, you cant beat the combo of SRMP*2 and DS to keep a tank healed for most of the fight.

Just my 2 cents... Have fun!

Few things of note, from a 35 full sawboned spec:

For healing in flashpoints, it does help to do slow release * 2 on tanks before the fight. I use all +crit gear, plus the 2 relics which grant +crit because the reuse time on them alternate and you have one up almost every fight. Unless it's a boss fight that's about all the healing to be done, and I join the battle. Dunno if using all power would give the same effect. But it seems crits on HoT works. I'm guessing kolto cloud will work in the same fashion. Weak heals unless the tick crits.

Another way to look at emergency pack is to only use it when your target is below 30%. With emergent emergencies I just spam EP until they are safe again and I'm out of upper hand, then go back to SL or underworld med.

I have no trouble solo grinding when there's not enough time for a flashpoint. Bowdaar makes it extremely easy. If you're having any trouble use slice and tranquilizer for some cc.

For the OP, great reminder to always have pugnacity active and save keep cool for emergencies.

Has anyone found a use for kolto pack? Why cast this 0.5sec quicker and 5 energy less interruptable heal and not grant upper hand.

Overall I too love the mechanics of a healer and rogue class.

Oh gosh no! Power is definitely a good stat. I remember reading a tip during a loading screen that says that power increases both damage and healing dealt.

If you look at the Character sheet, under the Tech window (or any that lists Healing), and over over it, you will see that it incorporates Power as giving a boost. It will list Power as one of the modifier stats.

Couple of comments from a FP PvE'er...

I found that I had to respec to pure sawbones to do Mandalorian Raiders, in order to get slow release med-pack. I also put points in diagnostic scan's critical and patient studies at that time. Before I had points in dirty fighting in order to get dirty escape, increase crit, and increase alacrity. At level 30, I find that being pure sawbones is difficult solo but not unworkable.

I find that in Flash Points, with a good tank in the group, I can keep up SRMP*2 and keep hitting diagnostic scan to keep the tank healed for most fights. With all DS points filled, it has a 50% chance to crit (I have about 25% chance plus 24% from points) and fills up power nicely. Then I burst heal when needed and place SRMP's on other members. On long fights, which generally has low sustained damage from one mob, you cant beat the combo of SRMP*2 and DS to keep a tank healed for most of the fight.

Just my 2 cents... Have fun!

Soloing as a full sawbones is the easiest leveling of this class. Use a dps pet at all times, even soloing champion mobs and 2 man heroics. Once you get Risha it's cruise control to level 50 going almost as fast as a dps spec using a tank or healing pet.

Few things of note, from a 35 full sawboned spec:

For healing in flashpoints, it does help to do slow release * 2 on tanks before the fight. I use all +crit gear, plus the 2 relics which grant +crit because the reuse time on them alternate and you have one up almost every fight. Unless it's a boss fight that's about all the healing to be done, and I join the battle. Dunno if using all power would give the same effect. But it seems crits on HoT works. I'm guessing kolto cloud will work in the same fashion. Weak heals unless the tick crits.

Another way to look at emergency pack is to only use it when your target is below 30%. With emergent emergencies I just spam EP until they are safe again and I'm out of upper hand, then go back to SL or underworld med.

I have no trouble solo grinding when there's not enough time for a flashpoint. Bowdaar makes it extremely easy. If you're having any trouble use slice and tranquilizer for some cc.

For the OP, great reminder to always have pugnacity active and save keep cool for emergencies.

Has anyone found a use for kolto pack? Why cast this 0.5sec quicker and 5 energy less interruptable heal and not grant upper hand.

Overall I too love the mechanics of a healer and rogue class.

You really only use EM (Emergency Medpac) under 30%? I start fights with UM, pugnacity, double hot the tank, initiate pull. Cycle UM and EM 1:1 for high throughput at nearly sustainable energy rates. The nice thing about this combo is you can split the combo so you can land the UM on the tank and use the EM on a dps effectively keeping everyone alive and not focusing too much healing in one place. If you are expecting everyone to take damage a double hot rotation on everyone with sprinklings of UM and EM is better, but this is not typical of most fights.

You really only use EM (Emergency Medpac) under 30%? I start fights with UM, pugnacity, double hot the tank, initiate pull. Cycle UM and EM 1:1 for high throughput at nearly sustainable energy rates. The nice thing about this combo is you can split the combo so you can land the UM on the tank and use the EM on a dps effectively keeping everyone alive and not focusing too much healing in one place. If you are expecting everyone to take damage a double hot rotation on everyone with sprinklings of UM and EM is better, but this is not typical of most fights.

To start the fight and keeping the tank up, we are saying the same thing. Little difference is I'd use SRM first on the dps if they start taking dmg, thus increasing the chance of having upper hand active. If anyone gets low then it's EM time. The more people that have SRM, the better chance you'll have upper hand active. Plus each time you cast EM you are increasing the chances of losing upper hand completly and the 6% bonus. Kinda funny how chance is heavily involved in sawbone's healing.

Until recently I cycled the UM and EM, but there are times you pop pugnacity again and looks what happens. Now no upper hand. DPS starts to take dmg, cant use EM and you're doing 6% less healing. With all the aoe abilities of mobs, pats, random opps I broke cc, mobs that can't be taunted or cc, even at lvl 35, I'm finding that it is typical of most fight that not just the tank is taking dmg.

Edited by Porall

To start the fight and keeping the tank up, we are saying the same thing. Little difference is I'd use SRM first on the dps if they start taking dmg, thus increasing the chance of having upper hand active. If anyone gets low then it's EM time. The more people that have SRM, the better chance you'll have upper hand active. Plus each time you cast EM you are increasing the chances of losing upper hand completly and the 6% bonus. Kinda funny how chance is heavily involved in sawbone's healing.

Until recently I cycled the UM and EM, but there are times you pop pugnacity again and looks what happens. Now no upper hand. DPS starts to take dmg, cant use EM and you're doing 6% less healing. With all the aoe abilities of mobs, pats, random opps I broke cc, mobs that can't be taunted or cc, even at lvl 35, I'm finding that it is typical of most fight that not just the tank is taking dmg.

You lose 6% healing on at most 1 UM by using an upper hand on pugnacity every 45 seconds. Insignificant. After pugnacity my next heal is almost always UM, mostly for the healing needed bit also to get upper hand back from 1 stack to 2 so I can cast EM and get back to the UM EM cycle.

The 6% bonus should be looked at as a bonus, not a requirement. Upper hand is a tool to be used not saved for a rainy day. Sure try to make sure your casting leaves it up most of the time, but don't not heal someone who needs an EM just because you only have 1 upper hand stack.

Upper hand is a tool to be used not saved for a rainy day. Sure try to make sure your casting leaves it up most of the time, but don't not heal someone who needs an EM just because you only have 1 upper hand stack

Remember, if someone needs a heal with EM then it will automatically refresh upper hand. In fact keep spamming EM until they get to 30% then UM and SMR.

No need to cast EM and waste upper hand when a group member's health is > 30%. So why not try to make sure your casting leaves it up most of the time? There's nothing worse than needing an EM spamming cycle but you can't because you've lost upper hand. Yes it only happens 2-3 times a flashpoint, but it does happen and it can mean a wipe.

For anyone that wants to keep upper hand active: My suggestion is to not use EM until any group member is < 30%. UM and SMR is more than enough to keep a party alive at lvl 35. You really only need EM for those :mad: moments. It'll be interesting to see how the aoe helps with 40+ healing.

Remember, if someone needs a heal with EM then it will automatically refresh upper hand. In fact keep spamming EM until they get to 30% then UM and SMR.

No need to cast EM and waste upper hand when a group member's health is > 30%. So why not try to make sure your casting leaves it up most of the time? There's nothing worse than needing an EM spamming cycle but you can't because you've lost upper hand. Yes it only happens 2-3 times a flashpoint, but it does happen and it can mean a wipe.

For anyone that wants to keep upper hand active: My suggestion is to not use EM until any group member is < 30%. UM and SMR is more than enough to keep a party alive at lvl 35. You really only need EM for those :mad: moments. It'll be interesting to see how the aoe helps with 40+ healing.

You are missing the point of using EM in a normal rotation. It's a free heal that allows regen while you are waiting for the global cooldown. In the course of casting EM you gain 9 energy. In the course of casting UM you gain 12 energy. Together these are 21 of the 25 energy you need to cast UM. If you take zero break between casts you can continually use this losing 4 energy per set and heal for a very long time before needing to rest a spell.

Unless the fight is designed to make all members take constant damage I only use SRM on the tank generally. I never don't have UH up unless I've had to hit EM twice to save someone, otherwise I am always at 1 stack except briefly after casting UM.

I agree with Maxvla on this one. I always follow up my UM's with a quick Emergency Medpac. As soon as you finish casting UM, you'll be able to hit EMP immediately. It's basically used as a healing buff for Underworld Medicine. I also spam EMP when my target is below 30%. It's amazingly fun to kite around a pole spamming EMP while a melee class tries his darnest to take you down. It's not happening :)

Just a little constructive criticism from my healing POV as a PvE healer.

I can see your tree being viable for pvp but in pve I can see spending your points in more useful area's. Black Market Mods is pretty huge for us that cast more than having to heal on the run in pvp. Reducing that UWM cast time has served me pretty effectively. Sedatives is pretty useless for pve considering most elite/champion mobs have non impairing effect buffs.

Also IMO alacrity is higher on the list of priority's stat wise (pve) due to all the crit we obtain though power cunning and talents.

Great write up for pvp sawbones for sure though!

triage is actually bugged or just OP with talent

here is your single target rotation

keep pugnacity up-keep hot up-medpac-triage-underworld medicine-repeat

basically always medpac if upper hand is active, then triage if it is off cooldown, otherwise UM

this is energy neutral

triage is actually a good heal it only costs 10 energy and its cooldown fits this rotation

kolto cloud is terrible it will dunk your energy bar and you will have to cool head if you use it

also dont use kolto pack there is no point to it if you have medpac, it costs 20 energy and still consumes upper hand

diagnostic scan is actually not needed at all it doesnt heal for anything, there isn't really a point to talent it over 4% damage reduction

some changes they need to make:

fix triage so it isnt a rotational heal

fix kolto pack so there is a point to use it

fix kolto cloud so i can reasonably use it without donking on energy

make diagnostic scan actually worth using instead of just standing there

Edited by Letsplayrift

triage is actually bugged or just OP with talent

here is your single target rotation

keep pugnacity up-keep hot up-medpac-triage-underworld medicine-repeat

basically always medpac if upper hand is active, then triage if it is off cooldown, otherwise UM

this is energy neutral

triage is actually a good heal it only costs 10 energy and its cooldown fits this rotation

kolto cloud is terrible it will dunk your energy bar and you will have to cool head if you use it

also dont use kolto pack there is no point to it if you have medpac, it costs 20 energy and still consumes upper hand

diagnostic scan is actually not needed at all it doesnt heal for anything, there isn't really a point to talent it over 4% damage reduction

some changes they need to make:

fix triage so it isnt a rotational heal

fix kolto pack so there is a point to use it

fix kolto cloud so i can reasonably use it without donking on energy

make diagnostic scan actually worth using instead of just standing there

what level are you? I use Kolto cloud off cd in some cases its all about being resourceful. Also telling people that Kolto pack / DS has no point is also false. If you have a stack of upper hand and you have your stats correctly both of those ability's work quite amazing.

Edited by Centerpin

I'm feeling here is a much better place to ask about a decent pvp Hybrid build with focus on a good amount on healing and a bit of close combat damage instant shot's. I give it a chance in the german forums but noone ever answering there.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701rffMzh0RzZGhMoZhM0z.1

Så im asking about offering 3 of the 6 points in Dirty Fightint to take the healing bonus ?

I'm not a decent theory crafter, but im going with this build in pvp now(most of it the healing tree and i like it så far.

After watching the WZ videos, this player has no situational awareness, and no idea how to properly position. Based on that, I highly doubt they are coordinated enough to appropriately and optimally use specific abilities. This person doesn't know how to play a healer in a PvP setting, and I would not trust anything they have to say on the matter. I vote for un-stickying. Edited by mujrim

A new video of bravofivezero (well, 6 out of 8 were in bravofivezero) taking down the final boss of the Eternity Vault in normal mode. Most of us are somewhat fresh 50s and are still very much so in the gearing process. Just a taste of PVE healing for Scoundrel :)

*Bare with me, I uploaded it from my livestream so the recording quality is a bit crappy.

After watching the WZ videos, this player has no situational awareness, and no idea how to properly position. Based on that, I highly doubt they are coordinated enough to appropriately and optimally use specific abilities. This person doesn't know how to play a healer in a PvP setting, and I would not trust anything they have to say on the matter. I vote for un-stickying.

I would agree completely. My positioning in those first few videos is terrible. They were my first videos uploaded so I was heavily focusing on making sure my computer was still running efficiently while running FRAPS and I wasn't paying as much attention to positioning and my situational awareness was sub-par. Now that I've sort of relaxed while livestreaming/recording, I can focus on actually playing the game and instead of making sure my computer can handle the extra weight that's added to my processor. I plan to be uploading more videos soon, so you should be able to tell the difference between my gameplay styles between then and now.

Edited by bshenkd

Maybe a dumb question but I watched your video, how do you make your group window larger? Mine is tiny on my computer!

The operation frames?

Esc > Preferences > User Interface > Scroll alllll the way down > Set width/height of Operation frames. Done!