Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I play the game the way i want to, why cant you?

Cause when we put our point across that we want to RP or even just not have every troll, griefer and gold spammer on the same server as us, some people keep telling us we're playing the wrong game.

Yeah, like the man said, you're probably playing the wrong game and the wrong genre.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you are playing the wrong game??? This is an MMO after all. :confused:

You know, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Despite your protestations that you want to "save the game" you seem bound and determined to drive people away and hasten its demise. At this point we are going to loose something like 25% of the people playing the game as a result of the mergers between the people who can't play it anymore, the people who are mad about their pings increasing, the people who feel betrayed by the game, the people who will lose stuff in the merger, and the people who did not want this massive a server consolidation. There is not going to be any kind of substantial influx of "MMO players" to fill that void just because of server mergers or even a "focus on group content". In fact, server merges are almost always seen as the end of a game not its resurgence. Everyone who subscribes to this game (along with anyone buying stuff from the cartel market) helps to keep the doors open so you can play the game you want regardless of how they play the game.

You know, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Despite your protestations that you want to "save the game" you seem bound and determined to drive people away and hasten its demise. At this point we are going to loose something like 25% of the people playing the game as a result of the mergers between the people who can't play it anymore, the people who are mad about their pings increasing, the people who feel betrayed by the game, the people who will lose stuff in the merger, and the people who did not want this massive a server consolidation. There is not going to be any kind of substantial influx of "MMO players" to fill that void just because of server mergers or even a "focus on group content". In fact, server merges are almost always seen as the end of a game not its resurgence. Everyone who subscribes to this game (along with anyone buying stuff from the cartel market) helps to keep the doors open so you can play the game you want regardless of how they play the game.

But, they aren't calling it a server merge- this is a massive new expansion!!! United Forces!

See, not a bad thing like mergering/consolidating servers due to massive player loss and eliminating data centers (and removing the APAC player base as a result) to save money and prep for maintenance mode - it is an expansion! It has a name!

Edited by Jamtas

Maybe you are playing the wrong game??? This is an MMO after all. :confused:

I'm sorry, where in the definition of MMO does it state that players MUST group or even play on what they feel are over populated servers?

MMO simply means a capable of supporting multiple people in the same online environment.

That said, we all know these mergers will be happening, so we must all live with them and ALL that those mergers entail. Anyone who is inconvenienced in any manner need look no further than the pro merger crowd to see the most likely cause of their inconvenience.

First off I didnt read all 300+ pages , so if this was already stated then whatever.

Having it split as it was posted with a eastcoast and westcoast server is pointless, the lag is the same for each now that they are in the same physical location.The population should be the factor now that they are already done with the move.The number of servers should be based on that, as in open another if needed and not stick to a 2 server set when the number of people deem it viable to have say 3 or even 4 { wishful thinking on the numbers there}..

Name changes could be addressed by letting people know in advance that they are going to have to think up a new name. the factors are already known and the ones that will need to do this can have advance warning.and not have to come up with that one awesome name without warning.

Having say three instances one could be the one used by the RP players and the trolls would have to be dealt with in some manner on that one instance, but I am not a RP player and I don't speak for them. They would have to move to that instance like it is done now but without an dedicatted server for them I really dont know what else can be done to make them happy.

Everyone who subscribes to this game (along with anyone buying stuff from the cartel market) helps to keep the doors open so you can play the game you want regardless of how they play the game.

I agree. Server merges are happening. I want the game to thrive. I've played for five years, subbed for about 4.5 of those years, because I enjoyed it and to support the game. About half of that time in group content, and half as a solo player. I liked being in a small community, and may stop subbing after the merge. My leaving the game now means little. One player gone. Who cares? But, shrugging off the possible loss of a number of players (and by extension, the money they put towards the game) should stop.

Maybe server merges will bring a huge influx of new player cash to the game. More than enough to offset the loss of players who decide to stop playing because of the server merge. I hope so. I'd like the game to still be here should I decide to return. But, blithely dismissing those who currently are with the game, because of their preferred play style, isn't supportive of SWTOR's future.

Pro-server merge supporters: you won. Posts by players who aren't happy about the merge isn't going to change that. I'm not asking you to sympathize or understand why some folks aren't happy about the merge. Just to resist the urge to tell them to leave the game, and by extension take their dollars with them.

Edited by Nmyownworld

But, they aren't calling it a server merge- this is a massive new expansion!!! United Forces!

See, not a bad thing like mergering/consolidating servers due to massive player loss and eliminating data centers (and removing the APAC player base as a result) to save money and prep for maintenance mode - it is an expansion! It has a name!

^this.

Also - sad irony; pvp/ops ppl want busier servers, but these merges drive off those who would que up/play with them because of new ping rates, and those who don't pvp/ops won't que up anyway or if they do it might be just to mess with the pvp/ops just to spite, (not that I would ever do such a thing :rolleyes:). Pre-mades won't be any better off either. lose-lose. I'm sure these points have been made by others on this thread (329 pages! :eek:).

The much-touted fact of this being an MMO (all hail the definition that is written in stone by pvp-ers) is moot. The pvp MMO commandment: "Thou Shalt Group. Any Refusing to Group Must Depart to Hell Immediately. The Righteous PVP hath spoken." (This is how the adamant end-to-discussion "THIS IS AN MMO, you are in the wrong game/genre" pronouncers comes off as, IMO :cool:). Lol, so sad. "Massively Multiplayer Online" doesn't dictate how people play.

Edited by Everrgreen
update for accuracy - 326 pages, not 368

^this.

Also - sad irony; pvp/ops ppl want busier servers, but these merges drive off those who would que up/play with them because of new ping rates, and those who don't pvp/ops won't que up anyway or if they do it might be just to mess with the pvp/ops just to spite, (not that I would ever do such a thing :rolleyes:). Pre-mades won't be any better off either. lose-lose. I'm sure these points have been made by others on this thread (329 pages! :eek:).

The much-touted fact of this being an MMO (all hail the definition that is written in stone by pvp-ers) is moot. The pvp MMO commandment: "Thou Shalt Group. Any Refusing to Group Must Depart to Hell Immediately. The Righteous PVP hath spoken." (This is how the adamant end-to-discussion "THIS IS AN MMO, you are in the wrong game/genre" pronouncers comes off as, IMO :cool:). Lol, so sad. "Massively Multiplayer Online" doesn't dictate how people play.

While what EAware has done to the APAC players is disgusting and deceitful, it mostly impacts players on the Western US servers. The UK and us Eastern US players wont see much of a drop off at all and with the consolidation of servers, we'll only see an increase in pops.

No one is forcing players to group up of play PvP or Ops but this is a multi player game and people are paying for a mutli player experience. The studio is also focusing on multi player content so they would also like pops to happen at a reliable pace. If there is a problem with that, then there is indeed a problem with the genre because the studio isnt spending money on creating RP or solo content at this time.

Not talking about Everrgreen specifically but why do the anti merger people have to be so salty? Merges are happening, they were inevitable and probably should have happened years ago. Theres no need to act as if the pro merger crowd are somehow shooting themselves in the foot for any reason, because they're not. Its going to be good for the population and for queues of the new content.

While what EAware has done to the APAC players is disgusting and deceitful, it mostly impacts players on the Western US servers. The UK and us Eastern US players wont see much of a drop off at all and with the consolidation of servers, we'll only see an increase in pops.

No one is forcing players to group up of play PvP or Ops but this is a multi player game and people are paying for a mutli player experience. The studio is also focusing on multi player content so they would also like pops to happen at a reliable pace. If there is a problem with that, then there is indeed a problem with the genre because the studio isnt spending money on creating RP or solo content at this time.

Not talking about Everrgreen specifically but why do the anti merger people have to be so salty? Merges are happening, they were inevitable and probably should have happened years ago. Theres no need to act as if the pro merger crowd are somehow shooting themselves in the foot for any reason, because they're not. Its going to be good for the population and for queues of the new content.

No. It might be good for the pro merger crowd, but even that remains to be seen.

It also remains to be seen if these mergers will be good for the RP community or those that prefer a quieter server with a more respectful, responsible community. I highly doubt that the merges will be good for either of those two groups, at least initially.

We shall have to wait and see, won't we.

You imply that a "Multi-player experience" is only pvp/ops. Thinking the game is only about one way to play is not accurate. RP is also a multiplayer experience, inviting to group in order to kill off Valen Korik at the sith temple - then disbanding to do other things is also a multiplayer experience, doing quests solo with others running around you doing the quest or other stuff is also a multi-player experience - just having other people around you in the game at the same time is a multiplayer experience. Therefore I and others like me are ALSO PAYING for a multiplayer experience!!!

My response before was to the closed-end, adamant, merge-pro pvp-ers who are putting others down and effectively saying get out - this isn't the game for you, which is the kind of juvenile, self-absorbed, nonsense thinking that should be called out for what it is.

That being said, I don't begrudge the East Coast players their fun. I'm in the West, but mostly play on East Coast servers just because I like the vibe better. Ping rate never (well almost never) bothered me. The times I pvp'd (for DvsL event) the lag was so bad it was misery just trying to move around (I don't know if that's ping rate or not). I will probably que for pvp this month to get the companion. I don't care if I win or not which means whoever gets me on their group is not going to be happy. There will most probably be West Coast people from BC and Bastion who can't stand Harb who will level chars on SF as an alternative. What will they have to lose since all the servers are on the East Coast now? If they que to group then East Coast players will also have to suffer their presence because of their higher ping rate.

In the end I think we actually agree - ppl should not put others down for their feelings/opinions on the merges. There was not a lot of good analysis by players who thought merges would be one thing and they will get another because they did not have the information needed to judge adequately. Don't blame the anti-merge crowd for their disappointment about it. No one has to post on these forums, that includes people who don't like other's position about the merges. To those who only want to connect with others who feel good about it, make a merge-positive <3<3<3 only thread if that will stoke your coals.

Oh well, I've said my piece and counted to three. I'm glad that at least I can play vanilla for a bit longer. I hope the increase in population will not totally make it unpleasant enough to go elsewhere.

Hate to break it to you guys, but it is likely going to be dead on Satele Shan when even former Harbinger players transfer to the other east coast server due to the fact that most of the population of the former west coast servers has quit playing (by force or by ping or both) and Satele Shan is now a ghost town. Edited by ZakiBasara

Anyone know what is going to happen to the personal cargo hold tabs that were unlocked for a specific character instead of legacy-wide after the merge? I know these are usually removed with server transfer, and BW's United Forces explanation did not mention these, only the legacy unlocks.

Just wondering if I have to move items between characters before it's too late.

No. It might be good for the pro merger crowd, but even that remains to be seen.

It also remains to be seen if these mergers will be good for the RP community or those that prefer a quieter server with a more respectful, responsible community. I highly doubt that the merges will be good for either of those two groups, at least initially.

We shall have to wait and see, won't we.

The groups you mention are a minority in this game, they make up such a small amount that if BW is willing to kill off an entire region's servers, do you honestly think they care about the RPers or "people that want low populated servers?" They are in a scurry to hold onto their base, the majority of thier base is not people wanting low populated/dead servers.