Khem Val gear questions

WingsofCrystal

I have two noob questions.

The first is what stats should I be stacking for Khem Val? Strength, endurance, and armor seem natural but it is not totally clear if that is the way to go.

The second question is even dumber than the first. When I pick up a piece of gear for Khem and mouse over to it in my bag it compares the stats to my gear. I end up having to pull him up and manually compare the gear to what is currently mounted. Is there any way to switch the comparison back and forth so that when I am looking at a piece of gear it will show the stat differentials base on his gear?

Thanks for any help.

The answer to your first question is that you pretty much have it right. Str/End and heavy armor type go to khem. If you want him to be a meat shield, defense is also good. If you plan to put him damage mode, crit and alacrity would be decent choices.

Second question is that in your preferences you need to turn on the feature 'show companion tool tips' - I can't remember exactly which category it's under (I can't log on from work /sadface). This will show his stat changes right next to yours when you mouse over a new piece of loot.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, I also have a noob question....how are we able to get khem's gear visible? i have seen some khems running round with armor, yet even tho mine is gaered, he appears with only his loin cloth...

Those Khems are using an appearance kit, you're not actually seeing the armor he's wearing. Otherwise his appearance never changes regardless of the gear you give him.

in your codex under "persons of note" you will see main and secondary stats for all your respective companions.

in preferences you have to enable companion gear comparison, this will make mouseover on gear compare it to your and your pets' gear at the same time (why this isnt enable by default i will never understand).

armour skin for khem is from taris iirc. you'll find a companion customisation vendor at the first place you land.

also if you have a security key enable i recommend taking the trip to ilum space station and checking out the security key vendor there for more skins.

Edited by Hatkake

The answer to your first question is that you pretty much have it right. Str/End and heavy armor type go to khem. If you want him to be a meat shield, defense is also good. If you plan to put him damage mode, crit and alacrity would be decent choices.

Second question is that in your preferences you need to turn on the feature 'show companion tool tips' - I can't remember exactly which category it's under (I can't log on from work /sadface). This will show his stat changes right next to yours when you mouse over a new piece of loot.

I'm pretty sure Khem Val has no use for Alacrity.

To the OP, once you get past level 30, tanking stats (defense, shield, absorption) become important as well. I'd go Endurance over Strength also as he is a tank.

• 5 months later...
Is anyone else having problems with finding gear on the Market for Khem... I'm at level 32 and he is woefully under geared.. making things rather difficult :(

Buy Orange gear and mod it as you can.

Edited by Ujest

• 3 months later...

Often this type of thing depends on your Spec. Class:

Sorcerer: Especially if you spec heals, make Khem defensive. Always go defense, and while he's drawing fire you can keep him healed and try and pick off the enemies.

Assassin: If you're a very stealthy, DPS type guy, you might want to also spec Khem defensively, but make sure to pay attention to his attack. If you're a tank, go offensive with Khem.

Hope this helps

Often this type of thing depends on your Spec. Class:

Sorcerer: Especially if you spec heals, make Khem defensive. Always go defense, and while he's drawing fire you can keep him healed and try and pick off the enemies.

Assassin: If you're a very stealthy, DPS type guy, you might want to also spec Khem defensively, but make sure to pay attention to his attack. If you're a tank, go offensive with Khem.

Hope this helps

I disagree with most of this actually

Sorc healer: You are more than able to flip Khem into offensive mode and give him gear with offensive stats on it. I went as far as giving Khem das boot as soon as I got Ahsara and had no problems with her dieing.

Sorc DPS: Yea, keep Khem defensive. Toss him a bubble and send him in. Rebubble as needed and you'll rarely have to throw an actual heal. Same goes fro Xalek once you finally get him, should you choose to go that route.

Sin DPS: You can use Khem defensively, but I prefer taking Andronikos as soon as you get him and stocking up on medpacks or grabbing Biochem for the reusable ones. When you get Talos, you can either use him or stick with Adronikos.

Sin Tank: I used Andronikos as soon as I got him all the way through 50. You really won't even need medpacks once you get your self heal off of FL.

Companions are more about selecting the one that compliments your class than just gearing up your favorite one for a roll that does not fit him/her. In general a healer will use a melee DPS, a ranged DPS will want a tank or healer, melee DPS uses a healer, and a tank uses ranged DPS.