Jedi using slave army

Thorsfire

Deos anyone see any wrong in the Jedi using this clone army that were only breed to serve them? Them being the Jedi.

Sure, but they were made to serve the Republic - not the Jedi.. so they aren't the Jedi's slaves so much as the Republic's. Also, the clones aren't entirely human, they're more biological robots then real people as they don't seem to have any free will.

Regardless, what other options do the Jedi and Republic have? Quickly draft an army of untrained civilians to die in greater quantities then the well trained clones? If the Jedi want to stop the sith and save lives the best option is the clone army - regardless of them being 'slaves' or not.

Sure, but they were made to serve the Republic - not the Jedi.. so they aren't the Jedi's slaves so much as the Republic's. Also, the clones aren't entirely human, they're more biological robots then real people as they don't seem to have any free will.

Well they actually do have free will.. seeing as in one of the clone wars episodes one of the clones actually deserts the army and raises a family.

Also, the clones aren't entirely human, they're more biological robots then real people as they don't seem to have any free will.

I seriously recommend you watch a few Clone Wars episodes. Clone Troopers all posses some degree of free will. They are nothing like robots however, they can think creatively and make choices, and decisions all on their own.

The Clones were trained from "birth" to believe in what the Republic stood for, and as such they actually wanted to defend the principles of the Republic.

Deos anyone see any wrong in the Jedi using this clone army that were only breed to serve them? Them being the Jedi.

I think you are misinformed. The Clones were not bred to serve the Jedi, they were created to protect the Republic. The Jedi merely commanded them in the field because the Jedi already were the peacekeepers of the Republic.

I seriously recommend you watch a few Clone Wars episodes. Clone Troopers all posses some degree of free will. They are nothing like robots however, they can think creatively and make choices, and decisions all on their own.

The Clones were trained from "birth" to believe in what the Republic stood for, and as such they actually wanted to defend the principles of the Republic.

I think you are misinformed. The Clones were not bred to serve the Jedi, they were created to protect the Republic. The Jedi merely commanded them in the field because the Jedi already were the peacekeepers of the Republic.

In fact it was the Jedi who treated them like people and fought to ensure they had rights. People forget that the Jedi serve the republic too. The republic, as a whole, overrides the Jedi.

this is a topic that has been so talked to death on the forums. Though not like you would know with the thread wipe of prelaunch threads that talked about this to death and the lack of a search function not showing how many since then have been made....

In short no since it was not a slave army. The clones were paid given pensions retirement and even medical benefits by the republic. Yes they were clones yes the were done behind the senates back by a plot to destroy the republic and set up a new galactic empire. However the clones themselves were not treated as slaves during the clone wars. The only issue the clone armies had was they were breed for war and consequently that's what they liked best hence issues in a none military life for them. Luckily for the clone or unlucky from how you may look at it. The sith won in the end of the clone wars rebuilt a military dictatorship and the were guaranteed their favorite jobs being elite storm troopers.

Edited by atlasstar

In fact it was the Jedi who treated them like people and fought to ensure they had rights.

That applies to some Jedi, such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. It does not, however, apply to all Jedi who served as GAR commanders. Pong Krell, for example, treated the clones under his command as expendable, acting more as if they were droids than living human beings. Quinlan Vos also treated the clonetroopers with disdain.

I think the crux of the issue is the fact that the Jedi did not approve the creation of the army. Had they, before these clones were created, decided to make a clone army, it might be morally wrong.

But since the army was already created, I think it would've been worse to free the army.

1. The Republic would most likely fall

2. The clones are bred for war, and one could guess they have an attraction to combat. A freed army would then most likely turn to mercenary work or other forms of combat related occupations (since they have no other skills) and would probably end up causing problems with their potent combat abilities.

I also think part of the morality of this situation would lie with what the Jedi decided to do with them after the war was over. We obviously however didn't get to see that outcome.

• 1 year later...
I find it EXTREMELY for Jedi to use Clone Troopers as a slave army, I do not count "The Clone Wars 2008 TV Show and Movie" because it breaks to many canon and made my favorite author, Karen Traviss to stop writing Republic Commando Novels. The Jedi led many Clone Troopers to their deaths and took the Clone Army at free will and gave it no second thought, This was their war and they sacrificed Millions even killing Rogue Clones like ARC Trooper Sull. I only respect two Jedi, Etain Tur-Mukan and Bardan Jusik who we're sympathetic with the Clones. Jedi and Sith, Republic and Empire all about politics and use the "grunts" , getting them all killed.

Yes this thread is old but I think its part of why the republic fell to the emperor

The were so caught up with themselves they did not help naboo because it was no there problem and the took he clone army to fight because it was dooku.

The army are slaves bred for death and they were used that way

It was the Jedi that failed to see the forest for the trees even with palatine running the show

Had Mace Windu brought anakin to the fight against palpatine instead of leaving him behind would things have been different

The Jedi needed to die off they were tainted

I don't think using the clone army was morally wrong. I see it as a far better alternative then the only other conceivable option to stop the CIS, starting a draft, and leaving the galaxy full of orphans, widows, and broken families. Edited by LordGarmaZabi

I don't think using the clone army was morally wrong. I see it as a far better alternative then the only other conceivable option to stop the CIS, starting a draft, and leaving the galaxy full of orphans, widows, and broken families.

So you are sayin that a grown life is of less value than a naturally born, yet both have self awareness. A clone could value his life and existence just as much as anyone else

Edited by kirorx

So you are sayin that a grown life is of less value than a naturally born, yet both have self awareness. A clone could value his life and existence just as much as anyone else

And yet, were they not created to fight the war, the clones wouldn't have a life to value. Start a draft, or clone an army, either way, you're forcing someone to fight and die in a war, so when it comes down to it, there is very little distinction morally. However, from another stand view, using the clone army will prevent the streets of countless worlds from being filled with war orphans, and leave a far more stable Republic (One can only imagine what kind of effect the losses incurred to the Republic population fighting endless droid hordes could have on the Galaxy), as well as give a far more effective fighting force to use against the CIS. If you want to look at this in this in the most black and white way possible, yes, I suppose I am saying that, however, wars are always full of tough decisions, and as I see it, it really comes to picking the lesser of two evils.

Given the choice, what would you think is right ? We already ruled out the aclone army, so, is starting a draft better ? Or perhaps the right thing to do is to forgo the creation of a Grand Army altogether, and leave the individual Republic planets to fend for themselves against the droid onslaught ?

Edited by LordGarmaZabi