1.4: New font feedback

Rhesus_TOR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must have been an 'undocumented' change, because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I thought it was me or simply a bug when I couldn't see half the UI that I was able to see the day before the patch. At least it's NOT my imagination or my eyesight diminishing overnight:X I had to go in and make some of the stuff larger just so I could read it!!

Did anybody ask for this?? Was this some type of problem??

Please change the fonts back to the way they were!

What size monitor do you have? I have tested out 1.25 just for fun when I was messing with my UI and it's overwhelmingly huge. I'm at somewhere between 0.80-0.85.

Do you mean your font looks like this? (at 7)

Perhaps you need a bigger screen. Our receptionist at work got a 24 ince screen because of her cataracs. Can you post a screenshot?

I wouldn't be too surprised if it is a monitor size/resolution problem. I'd venture to guess that the developers are on dual 24"*, so it would be easy to neglect how the font would affect someone with a smaller monitor.

*Seems like the de facto development standard. The last three places I've worked have had the same setup.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it is a monitor size/resolution problem. I'd venture to guess that the developers are on dual 24"*, so it would be easy to neglect how the font would affect someone with a smaller monitor.

Not a problem to me as long as they send me a 24" monitor for free. Otherwise i firmly request a rollback to previous setting or an option to set my font size for tooltips and all the things that have been changed. And not because i decided so but because a 24" monitor is not listed as a minimum configuration requirement, neither in recommended configuration.

Not a problem to me as long as they send me a 24" monitor for free. Otherwise i firmly request a rollback to previous setting or an option to set my font size for tooltips and all the things that have been changed. And not because i decided so but because a 24" monitor is not listed as a minimum configuration requirement, neither in recommended configuration.

Just to clarify I'm not saying that you should have to buy a new monitor to read it properly, I'm saying that's a possible cause as to why it doesn't work properly on smaller monitors.

I play the game on a little 16" Dell laptop (im not using a gaming computer, sue me), and honestly, the font is fine for me, its not blurry, its not too small, its just different, and will take some getting used to. Playing on a 1600 X 1200 rez, i believe. I really dont see the problem, i dont know if it is much different for everyone elses screens though.... or maybe you just play too much video games :D

I play the game on a little 16" Dell laptop (im not using a gaming computer, sue me), and honestly, the font is fine for me, its not blurry, its not too small, its just different, and will take some getting used to. Playing on a 1600 X 1200 rez, i believe. I really dont see the problem, i dont know if it is much different for everyone elses screens though.... or maybe you just play too much video games :D

Have you seen the screenshot that i posted before about tooltip fonts?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/screenshot2012092717484.jpg/

How is this tooltip on your laptop?

I find the new font harder to read. I have not done a comparison but it looks as though the font is actually a tiny bit smaller, and more square shaped, all the letters look like they've been compressed or something and it is harder to distinguish the letters at first glance even with the added shadow. I don't understand why a change like this was needed the text from before was fine, why fix something that isn't broken? A questionable improvement if you ask me.

The black offset shadow on flytext is a nice touch, thanks.

The black outline on all of the now-horizontally compressed chat hurts where before the black outline wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, the change in character names to ALL-CAPS on the operations frames makes the names pointless for characters with names longer than say, 5 characters.

Is there any way we can turn off the black outline for the small horizontally-compressed text? Is there a way for us to pick a more legible font? Is there a way for us to be able to get back the UPPER/lower case in the operations frame?

Except for the offest shadow on flytext all of the UI changes I cited are steps away from accessibility. Please help your players out here.

I agree with this post. :cool:

I question why they bothered with this. There's no improvement, it's just different. Change for the sake of change it seems. The programmer time might have been minimal, but QA time was probably not insignificant. I noticed yesterday that the bottom of the letters was cut off somewhere. I think it was the on progress bar dialog when accessing the galaxy map but can't remember for sure. Edited by RAVM

I am actually having trouble discerning different letters in the new tooltips. Their font has a weird ratio thing going on, where some letters which are normally taller than others (like lowercase L's and T's) are put at the same height as all of the other letters. This really throws me, as I am not really a reader, I am a skimmer. I don't look at individual letters, I see the shape of the word and know what it is. This allows me to read things like textbooks really quickly, but makes me misread things in game now.

After all of the nightmarish changes that happened with the cooldown animations (which prompted the excellent solution of having it changable in the User Interface options), you would think that Bioware would've put a little switch in the UI editor for this kind of thing.

Also, I can't right click people's names in chat anymore to invite and send tells to them and such.

I am wondering how long it's going to take someone to make post claiming they are barfing in their toilet due to this and can't play the game or else they will get nauseous, barf, faint, get a headache, need to get airlifted for traumatization to the eyes, etc....

I am waiting for that post. :p

I don't know what everyone is talking about...font colors and sizes mean nothing. ;)

Seriously though, what was the reason behind the change in the first place? Whether it's still readable to some/most folks doesn't mean it's worse for others. I'm fine with it either way, but if it is causing some folks problems, then by all means change it back.

hmm...maybe the black font color on black in the first line isn't readable...hmm...

Edited by Caligari

I have to ask, what was the meeting like where someone offered the, 'hey, why don't we change the font?' idea.

This may sound silly, but sometimes changing things suggests instability. If it fixes something, great, otherwise 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Familiarity = comfort.

YMMV