DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

djinnerman

good guide your spec i think is off. Get rid of heat damping you never use those as a healer enough to matter like maybe once per pull? power shield get rid of necessary evil to maximize your character. Put those points into systems calibrations, intergrated systems for 2% increased healing across the board. seems to me this guide is outdated maybe? missed some obvious stuff.

correct build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRMR0cdkqZrcoZb.1

Yeah, I've been as of late thinking about seriously reiterating major parts of this guide. I've done small sections of it and will continue to do some more large sectional changes. I believe you're right about being outdated since I first started when I was playing during early release.

I agree on the change on the tree since I have noticed that I haven't been needing to use the cc abilities as much but I feel it would have been more suitable towards pvp since I do play on a pvp server. I should note that there as well.

I just recently started doing HM Flashpoints and just did 4/5 Eternity Vault (will pick up tomorrow for the final one) and had a blast. During that time, I had a HUGE learning experience, especially the whole Kolto Shell healing bug bind-up where I get instant aggro until it gets attended to. So I wait to put that on until a little bit after the tank generates aggro.

As far as Power Shield, I'm not sure why I have that there, so I will need to pay some extra attention in the tree in getting things optimized right. I know my spec now doesn't have it set.

Hey guys just wondering for pvp which relic would you get alacrity or the surge & crit?

Thanks

I'm not too sure since I'm not huge on pvp, but I have absolutely no problem hitting over 5k heal crits, so surge shouldn't be your concern. I would focus on your power and crit. Even healing gear that BW gives you gives you an option between Power and Crit with a little mixture of Surge in it.

Just remember, this is a pve perspective since I do do both pve and pvp, I don't pvp as much as I intend to nor will I.

Edited by djinnerman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that this guide has such an unnecessary amount of witty text. For no reason. (I can criticize, but I can't make a complete sentence.) I think it's total garbage. I think you should clean it up, be professional, and stop trying to be funny because I have no sense of humor. No one wants to read through 30 pages of this when it could be 10. I also like to speak for everyone in spite of all the praise that this guide has been given and I like to really exaggerate too.

I fixed it for you.

I'm glad all of you enjoyed it.

Nice comment Tempestas :p

This guide has such an unnecessary amount of witty text. For no reason. Its total garbage. Clean it up, be professional, and stop trying to be funny. No one wants to read through 30 pages of this when it could be 10.

I appreciate your comment. As such, my main goal wasn't to reach a pure 'professional' approach. If I did that, the reading would be very dull and technicality isn't really my style of writing. My real style of writing is creative writing. Every paper in my college class for English Composition received an A and every single paper had humor. It's not about 'trying' to be funny, but having a light-hearted sense of humor. My main focus was to achieve a sense of entertainment as well as keeping the analogies practical in order to keep it simple and understandable. I do understand that I spent a straight 12 hours for the beginning portion of this guide because of how excited I was in writing it overnight and my brain started to shutdown overtime until my sleep went underway.

And I LOVE exaggeration, but sadly, I didn't implement it in the guide.

Also, I love to be a people pleaser, but this will not always happen. You win some and you lose some, but in the end, I gave it my very best to provide the best of my knowledge (newbish perhaps? maybe so. Ask Mario, the red damage dealer. If you read that far into the guide.) and my joy is the joy of giving. (Besides Christmas time).

Thank you! I'm here till Thursday, try the veal!

Edited by djinnerman

Some of your advice is incorrect, I'll just point out one for ya - you should not be spamming Healing Scan during SCG - you need to do HS > RS > HS > RS and that will be less heat generation and more healing.

I appreciate the comment there. As you mentioned, I never specifically focused on spamming Healing Scan when SCG is up, only that you can potentially cast it x amount of times. After I placed Critical Efficiency, that's when the note for casting Rapid Scan after Healing Scan for it to cost the same and more healing from the RS.

Just as a side note and to be frankly quite honest, I wrote this guide at level 21 as I was merely excited about the class mechanics for Bodyguard healing. As I leveled and eventually hit 50 and did raiding and pvping, I learned quite a lot. Also, I read your guide (which I found very helpful for me during my leveling process and overall) and I didn't want to go about reiterating some of the guide and saying I know what what I know as an egotistical individual, I'm a very honest person. So what I have been thinking of doing is linking and quoting your rotation for that cause and giving you credit.

I've been busy with life, so I haven't had much time to keep up with the guide :S I still haven't even done Emergency Scan and SOOO SOOO MUCHO much much on the to-do list..wahhhhh.

Edited by djinnerman

good guide your spec i think is off. Get rid of heat damping you never use those as a healer enough to matter like maybe once per pull? power shield get rid of necessary evil to maximize your character. Put those points into systems calibrations, intergrated systems for 2% increased healing across the board. seems to me this guide is outdated maybe? missed some obvious stuff.

correct build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRMR0cdkqZrcoZb.1

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bfRMRbcdkqZrcoZb.1

I wouldn't miss out on the -4% dmg reduce of Powered Insulators for -16 heat every 2 minutes. With the AoE aggro as it is for now, you normally get some hits at every fight with multiple range mobs involved. In addition, this skill becomes crucial once you get hit by 7k to 12k frequently in nightmare raids (hi, Mr. Soa's electrical x-mas ornaments). You can even swap the 4% alacrity from Pyrotech for 2% end and 6% received heal in Arsenal, depending on how tanky you wanna be.

/edit: just read about the scg roation: scg, rocket, hs, rs, hs, rs, hs, rocket. Having nearly 30sec -10% dmg reduct on the tank is huge.

Edited by ntoday

Great guide, but am i missin something or that spec tree is horrible? i mean power shield and heat damping for pve healing?

i'm using this one atm

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300dfRMRbcdzqZrzoMZb.1

points in custom enviro suit are optional, i like them and since i haven't seen much need for buffed up cure don't really feel the need for it

Great guide, but am i missin something or that spec tree is horrible? i mean power shield and heat damping for pve healing?

i'm using this one atm

points in custom enviro suit are optional, i like them and since i haven't seen much need for buffed up cure don't really feel the need for it

you are missing out on 6% aim which is HUGE

There is no need to take the point in cure for pve but there might be in the future (i currently don't take it)

As a bh healer there is absolutely no need for increased endurance and armor for a pve environment however you may take these talents in a pvp environment but then there are also other points you would want to move around as well. It really depends on where you are playing, You definitely want the 6% aim since it's our strongest stat.

Edited by Chorusgirl

i'm using this one atm

1) I think heat damping was a mistake.

2) Powershield is not a bad choice. Optional, sure)

3) Someone who does not put 3 points in ironsights should not be allowed to call any spec horrible.

IMO this is the "proper" PVE spec (By Proper, I mean the one BW most likely intended for a PVE healer):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRMR0cdkqZrcoZb.1

I think the skills that are not "mandatory" are:

1) Cure mind. So far, there is not much use for this point.

2) Systems Calibrations. This would be a long discussion.

3) Integrated systems. 2 points for 2%...kind of lackluster.

4) Critical Reaction. See #2. IMO take both or neither.

5) Improved Vents. Depending on skill/gear 1 point or even no points may be enough.

Other skills that you could argue to choose:

(especially if you are new to 50, your gear is crappy, and you are having trouble staying live in HM FPs.):

1) Power Shield. Making your heals are uninterpretable can be a life saver, especially in PUGs.

2) Protective Field. Same as Power Shield.

3) Powered insulators. I can totally see taking a point out of Cure Mind and a point out of improved vents to put 2 points here.

4) Custom Enviro Suit. Fits in with 1-4.

5) Integrated Cardio. (Custom Enviro Suit is better)

Edited by TempestasSilva

you are missing out on 6% aim which is HUGE

There is no need to take the point in cure for pve but there might be in the future (i currently don't take it)

As a bh healer there is absolutely no need for increased endurance and armor for a pve environment however you may take these talents in a pvp environment but then there are also other points you would want to move around as well. It really depends on where you are playing, You definitely want the 6% aim since it's our strongest stat.

hmmm...you got a point there, dunno how i missed that talent xD

I'm still in the process of changing things around with the spec. There are some errors which are being pointed out, such as Heat Dampening. The reason why Heat Dampening was there in the first place was because of three possible points:

1. Starting off with leveling.
    • This guide was written during my early twenties and knew that there were changes to be had once I hit the endgame margin. This will lead into number 2.

[*]FPs (leveling phase)

• During FPs, the problem with Kolto Shell is the aggro draw on first contact with the enemies. What's happening is that the tank will "heal" themselves from the proc which will cause aggro from the enemies, next thing I know, I am taking the hits (with Powered Insulators), line of sighting (not straying far), and/or using CC abilites (in which CC section and Damaging needs to reiterated.)

[*]PvP

• I am currently in a PvP server environment. Because of this, I had to sacrifice some placement in points in order to stay alive during my leveling encounters. I also pvped occasionally for a change of pace. This is where Energy Shield helped out in numerous occasions to keep my teammates alive while I'm taking hits. Keeping my heat down as well as my downtime (casting being lengthened) as much as I can was my priority.

Now that I am in HM FPs and raiding, things change. Therefore, I had to focus on what was best for me to heal while leaving some PvP skills for my little side fun.

Cure Mind also contributed towards the PvP environment as well as possible future raids that will require curing. Curing also cuts off any movement impairing effects which contributes both in PvE and PvP. There are times that the tank is knocked far back and placed with a slow movement debuff that I immediately remove off him to optimize their threat. I'm expecting (once the custom UI update comes out) that the Buffs and Debuffs are sizable (making it much easier to see) and future raids and FPs require some sort of negative debuff removal at some point. I still use it a lot, but mostly in a PvP setting.

With Ironsights, that is definitely an important skill to have as mentioned from the two posters above.

Custom Enviro suit is more suitable for PvP as well as a DPS spec in the PvE range (I'm hoping dps isn't taking hits, but it's subjective.) Having some more heals from me can certainly help me out a lot.

Edited by djinnerman

Yeah, I've been as of late thinking about seriously reiterating major parts of this guide. I've done small sections of it and will continue to do some more large sectional changes. I believe you're right about being outdated since I first started when I was playing during early release.

I agree on the change on the tree since I have noticed that I haven't been needing to use the cc abilities as much but I feel it would have been more suitable towards pvp since I do play on a pvp server. I should note that there as well.

I just recently started doing HM Flashpoints and just did 4/5 Eternity Vault (will pick up tomorrow for the final one) and had a blast. During that time, I had a HUGE learning experience, especially the whole Kolto Shell healing bug bind-up where I get instant aggro until it gets attended to. So I wait to put that on until a little bit after the tank generates aggro.

As far as Power Shield, I'm not sure why I have that there, so I will need to pay some extra attention in the tree in getting things optimized right. I know my spec now doesn't have it set.

I'm not too sure since I'm not huge on pvp, but I have absolutely no problem hitting over 5k heal crits, so surge shouldn't be your concern. I would focus on your power and crit. Even healing gear that BW gives you gives you an option between Power and Crit with a little mixture of Surge in it.

Just remember, this is a pve perspective since I do do both pve and pvp, I don't pvp as much as I intend to nor will I.

No problem getting over 5k heal crits? Is that with relic and adrenals up?

if not, do you mind listing out your stats (aim, crit, surge, tech healing) for me? It would be really helpful.

Thanks for the great guide btw!

Mercs really need a talent to have a chance on crit to reduce some heat. Would really make us more sustainable healers, especially in oh **** moments

Usually in a pvp setting, definitely been hitting 5k heal crits no problem. Sometimes I don't realize it until I see the final stats for the match. I rarely use relics and I don't use adrenals sadly. During pvp, I have been known (to me at least lol) to never use relics at all and I still hit the 5k mark. I really just focus hard on healing my teammates the best I can.

This was pre partial raid gear with zero pvp gear but this is what I have right now (still no pvp gear):

Aim: 1407

Crit Chance: 27.73%

Crit Mult.: 64.68%

Bonus Healing: 424.2

Activation Speed: 8.38%

Usually in a pvp setting, definitely been hitting 5k heal crits no problem. Sometimes I don't realize it until I see the final stats for the match. I rarely use relics and I don't use adrenals sadly. During pvp, I have been known (to me at least lol) to never use relics at all and I still hit the 5k mark. I really just focus hard on healing my teammates the best I can.

This was pre partial raid gear with zero pvp gear but this is what I have right now (still no pvp gear):

Aim: 1407

Crit Chance: 27.73%

Crit Mult.: 64.68%

Bonus Healing: 424.2

Activation Speed: 8.38%

That's weird, I have higher stats all across the board with maybe 250 expertise and can't seem to break 5k, at least I haven't noticed, and I doubt I have.