Smuggler inherently light side?

Hawksworth

Hello

Started a smuggler to get my Han Solo on but the class just seems to be cast as a bit of a lovable rogue/comical character. I don't want to be a murderous douche bag for the sake of it but more the Han who shot first and looks out for numero uno above all else. Is there the option to be like that or is it just comic relief or psychopath?

Cheers

Yeah, there is some definite in between. My character was generally good, but greedy. There are typically three conversation options open to a smuggler. There's the "Boy oh boy, golly I'll sure as heck help ya mister!", the "I'm going to kill you and feed your corpse to my wookie" option, and the "Well... I suppose I could help you.... For a price... Eh?"

Yes, there's usually the lovable rogue option with the context-appropiate witty line, the stock "what's in it for me?" line that you may or may not grow to hate, and the equally stock "you know you're a dead man, right?" line. So unless you wanna be a "stock" character using the same line of dialog over and over, you will want to to for the witty and comical lovable rogue.

And as for the "Han shot first" thing, as a Scoundrel our main opener attack is called "Shoot First"

Edited by RendValor

My Scoundrel is full neutral. There are some really satisfying and rewarding dark side choices throughout the class story. They aren't really dark in the fanatical, psychopathic Sith sense, though—it's more about, as you mentioned, looking out for number one. Edited by HansBrolo

And dark side decisions don't always have to be evil, really. Or greedy.

Like at the end of the Taris Bonus Series (though it's not a smuggler quest, the point still stands...). My smuggler took the dark side option, but not out of malice or anything. But he's a pragmatist. It's more like, "Yeah, I'm not stupid... Dark side choice it is then..."