[DPS]Powertech's threat generation.

Amadon

Actually, and for as long I’ve played Powertech, my threat generation is a real nightmare.

I’ve quite a good DPS (Around 1K4/sec in Pyrotech) on average but my threat generation is so awful that I decided myself to try the AP spec.

In AP, I’ve no more threat issues, my leader and our tanks are happy because bosses stay where they’ve to. But, there’s still a problem, my DPS is around 1K1/sec in AP, it’s not enough.

In order to do PVE HL, we need to deals as much damages as possible and as fast as possible.

So, the dilemma is this : Playing AP and not dealing damages or playing Pyrotech and not being able to use our CD without being on the top of the boss threat list.

As far I see, there’s a simple solution : give us, as the juggernaut got, a detaunt in order to manage our threat.

Edited by Amadon

AP tree it self sucks, its need a good work over. The dps just isn't in it to be worth taking over Pyro.

I agree thou threat dumps should be class base line not AC based. It's only going to get worst in 1.2, the gap between DPS and Tank TPS will be even wider.

WoW fixed it with boosting tank stance threat and the Vengeance mechanic, what would be nice is a passive skill that boost tank threat by their stats. For ex:

Heated Armor: Increases threat generation while Ion Gas Cylinder is active by an amount equal to x% of your armor and x% of your defense/shield.

With something like this as tank boost their tanking stats they are also boosting their TPS.

Edited by Joefjr

Pyro threat will be fixed in 1.2 with the PPA nerf.

The PPA nerf doesn't fix that issues (i'm on the PTS also), we only have less DPS so less threat, but we're still on the top of the threat list if we're not very carefull

I raid 16 man nightmare EV/KP with my PT

What we do is, the tanks put guard on me for fights that could get me or other people around me killed if I pull aggro.

I stay on one side of the boss while the rest of the melee stay far from me. For example the 1st boss in EV, all melee stay behind him, Ill stay on the left and the rest will stay on the right.

There is no way around it. I see it as a big design flaw. Just because we could be tanks it doesn't mean we can pull aggro and live with it.

Within my guild we have problems with myself and a fellow dps juggernaut pulling aggro. All 3 tank classes lack aggro reduction skills :/

Lowering my dps to reduce threat is not an option, we need the DPS and there are no tools to let me know if I lowered my dps enough to not pull aggro, our damage is bursty and random.

Actually, and for as long I’ve played Powertech, my threat generation is a real nightmare.

I’ve quite a good DPS (Around 1K4/sec) on average but my threat generation is so awful that I decided myself to try the AP spec.

In AP, I’ve no more threat issues, my leader and our tanks are happy because bosses stay where they’ve to. But, there’s still a problem, my DPS is around 1K1/sec in AP, it’s not enough.

In order to do PVE HL, we need to deals as much damages as possible and as fast as possible.

So, the dilemma is this : Playing AP and not dealing damages or playing Pyrotech and not being able to use our CD without being on the top of the boss threat list.

As far I see, there’s a simple solution : give us, as the juggernaut got, a detaunt in order to manage our threat.

The issue is not that you have too much threat, but your tank doesnt generate enough. It's the tank that needs to do the adjustment, not you.

I am not saying you should NEVER pull aggro, but not to the point that it needs you changing to a subpar spec.

same stuff happened to me today, in EV HM. Went in with a group of guys from my guild, that normally have a sniper in my place. I pulled the second boss off the tank a few times while going full on with cool downs, and rail shot procs. I dial it down a bit, and he keeps aggro. No issue on killing the boss but to beat timers you want to be able to go full on. Im in columi combat tech with rakata pants and bracers, BM main and off hand, using power adrenal and relic and explosive fuel thats when it pulls aggro....so maybe adjust using the adrenal, and the relic and fuel separately? I like doing DPS so i dont have to respec for Raids I have columi tank gear as well that blizz typically wears. Id rather not tank though.

If the MT is knocked back or cc'd in any way, there may be a risk of pulling agro. But if the tank has been using taunts in his rotation, the risk is minimal.

In normal tank and spank phases, agro is not pulled, the main tank is loosing it.

Dps shouldn't, under any circumstances be expected to hold back, your job is to beat enrage timers and stay alive, not feather your attacks to pander to an inexperienced tank. That is like asking a healer to heal less.

Edited by Marb

This is a funny problem since you basically say that you do to much damage and that you carry everyone else as you do not have the option to pace yourself as your group need you to go full nuke.

Oh well... I suppose combatlogs from raids will sort this out eventually after massive outrages from mdps who will realize, and get facts that show, that they actually suck in effective dps in just about every fight.

I agree most of the melee guys think they are gods gift, but theyre not putting up #s in WZs. What that tells me is theyre probably not putting up #s on bosses either.

That is a bad basis to gauge them with, melee need to be on the target to do optimal damage. It's a lot easier for a melee to do that in PvE than PvP

This is a funny problem since you basically say that you do to much damage and that you carry everyone else as you do not have the option to pace yourself as your group need you to go full nuke.

Oh well... I suppose combatlogs from raids will sort this out eventually after massive outrages from mdps who will realize, and get facts that show, that they actually suck in effective dps in just about every fight.

LOL I think the outrage will be from all the rdps. It actually doesnt take a parse to see the obvious. Guards are often placed on mdps, and even with that Marauders/Pyros can still pull aggro. There is a reason why Pyro PTs are getting a nerf while Mercs dps actually getting buffed.

When as a Pyro always the first to finish in the infernal council in HM, followed by marauder, then merc then Sorc/sniper, then that tells me something.

I agree most of the melee guys think they are gods gift, but theyre not putting up #s in WZs. What that tells me is theyre probably not putting up #s on bosses either.

PvP? first of all, lets separate meaningful single target dps, from aoe farming to inflate scorecard damage.

And we all know that WZs are won because of range damage! LOL seriously?

Edited by Agooz

completely honest the problem is with ur tank :\ just tell him he must use the single target taunt in every CD, and all will be fine if hes not bad...

Tell me if i'm wrong, but the taunt doesn't increase the threat of the tank if he's on the top of the threat list, it only does if he is not, right ?

Btw, i don't realy think that our tanks are the problems, maybe the game design of them or ours.

Edited by Abysmo

Tell me if i'm wrong, but the taunt doesn't increase the threat of the tank if he's on the top of the threat list, it only does if he is not, right ?

Btw, i don't realy think that our tanks are the problems, maybe the game design of them or ours.

The most direct answer is yes and no. Technically it forces you to stay at the top, and gives you 6 seconds of no one able to pull threat off of you. Essentially giving you 6 seconds of threat building where no one can pass you. It's in every tanks rotation.

As a PT tank, I find this to be more important than anything else I can do outside of managing my heat. PT tanks have the worst threat generation. Nothing like weaving Rapid shots in to keep my heat down. Essentially weaving in both AoE and Single target threats is more efficient and effective than weaving in your non-heat/force/wrath attacks.

Remember most tanks stack endurance/defense/shield/absorbtion to the detriment of their damage which reduces their threat generation. This means that taunt weaving becomes essential to their rotation.

It's just like PVP. If you aren't using your taunt on CD you are limiting the rest of your team's ability to work effectively.