Beginners Guide to PvP

Haldeross

Just thought I would create this guide to help newcomers adapt to PvP

Feel free to post replies stating your opinion on my guide, including mistakes I may have made at the time of this writing errr.. typing

I'm still learning some myself and am always looking for advice :)

This guide will run through the basics of attacking and defending in each WZ, as well as other useful tips to become a force to be reckoned with

Ancient Hypergate

At the start of this WZ, most pubs and imps will send most of their team to one pylon, and a couple to the other one. it is imperative that your team remembers to do this, as rushing a single pylon will only give the other team a free pylon. Even if no one is listening, you yourself can always attack on your own, while this is a suicide mission, it will stall their capturing and maybe give your team a chance to cap and head to mid.

The pylons in this WZ will detonate every 2 minutes or so( i can't remember the exact time, but the game gives you a timer upon entering the WZ). Be aware of this time and plan accordingly, giving yourself room to make it to the middle to escape detonation. There is also a 5 second-ish buildup to the detonation, so if you werent watching the timer, this will give you an instant warning to leave the area. NOTE: The spawn zones of each faction are also safe zones from the detonation.

Once the pylons are done detonating, ( you will know because the yellow shockwave emitted will disappear) they will reset and you must capture them once more. This is a great time to adjust your strategy and maybe attempt to capture both pylons. REMEMBER: points are awarded to your team depending on how many pylons you control at the time of detonation, So keeping the opposing team from capping a pylon will put your team nearly 150 points ahead of the other team. ( I believe you need 650 to win, need confirmation)

The middle is an important part of the game as this is where the power orbs spawn. These orbs can be captured and returned to your team-controlled pylon for a small point boost. While it may seem miniscule and useless at the time, the points will eventually stack and can possibly give you a 100 point lead over the other team. Lastly, always remember that the pylons will detonate maybe 5 or so times each match, so if you screw up the first time, you still have a chance to make up for the loss in points (you must work diligantly however to do this)

Alderraan Civil War

Anyone that has played a domination type multiplayer match in an FPS or other multiplayer game will be at home here. There are three turrets to control, and each turret inflicts 10 damage to the opposing ship every 10 seconds. Each ship has a total of 600 health, so you must control at least two turrets for a significant part of the match to win. NOTE: It IS possible to win with only one turret, the only way to do this however is to control TWO turrets for most of the match. If your team controls two turrets, and the other team controls 1, then you will be doing twice as much damage to the opposing teams ship. This means that, eventually, the other team will need all three turrets to win, since you will finish off their ship with one turret, before they can finish of yours with two.

There are many ways to approach this map, and different teams use different strategies. I myself have seen many different kinds work successfully, so mix and match and find what best works for you and your team. The most important thing to remember is that TWO turrets are required for most of the match to win, and attacking can be much more difficult then defending. Therefore, it may be in your teams best interests to cap two turrets in the initial attack, making the probability of winning much higher for your team. (it is and 8 second cast time to cap a turret, this cast can be interrupted by any type of damage, stun, knockback, etc.). Lastly, capturing any one of the two side turrets, will spawn an extra speeder in your ship. This speeder goes directly to your captured side turret, making defending these much easier. NOTE: there is NO speeder that heads directly to mid.

Novare Coast

The strategy to this WZ is simple, and works very similar to Alderraan Civil War, with a couple differences.

There are three turrets, each turret fires at the opposing bunker, dealing 2% damage per shot ( a total of 100% damage is needed to destroy the opposing teams bunker). The main difference however is that each bunker is shielded, meaning two turrets are required to inflict ANY damage on the opposing bunker (one to lower the shields, and one to inflict 2% damage). Capturing each turret requires only one person, but the more people capping at the same time, the faster you will cap it. It takes 18 seconds of uninterrupted casting by a single person to capture a single turret. REMEMBER: every little cast helps! even if you dont capture the turret, each time you begin capping brings the bunker closer to your control, meaning that casting in intervals will also eventually bring the turret under your control. Defenders can counteract this, and can also cap the turret to bring it more under their control. Also, the turret must be 100% under YOUR control before it begins firing on the opposing bunker. It doesn't matter if your team has it 99% under their control, the turret will still fire upon their bunker! NOTE: The control panel to capture a turret is inside the little bunker near each turret, the range for capping the turret is also quite far, so you dont need to be standing right up on the control panel to begin capping the turret.

The Voidstar

The Voidstar WZ works like a Search and Destroy map (if any of you have played Call of Duty), except their are only two rounds

there are 3 rooms, and each room has two doors. Attackers jobs are to destroy the doors and recover the datacore behind the third room, defenders need to stop them. Attackers must plant bombs to destroy the doors, (8 second cast time to plant a bomb, uninterrupted of course) Defenders must defuse these bombs within 20 seconds or they will blow up (defuse time is 4 seconds). NOTE: You only need to plant one bomb on one door to destroy BOTH doors in that room. However, planting on both doors will raise your chances of success. It is also important to note that you must raise a bridge in the second room, and lower a shield in the third before you can begin planting bombs on the doors. Cast time for raising the bridge and lowering the shields is 8 seconds. NOTE: There are two bridges and three shields, raising one bridge does NOT raise the other, just like lowering one shield does NOT lower the other two. Most teams will usually have atleast one person telling you which door to attack, if your an operative or assassin, you may be told to "stealth plant" on the door the team does not rush. Defenders need to know call out incomings and STAY ON THE DOORS. It is imperative that your team watches for stealth plants! The easiest way to do this is to stand right on the door. Lastly, if the attacking team in the first round accesses the datacore, the time left on their clock will be substracted from the round two attacking teams time to access the core. ( starts at 7 minutes and 30 seconds, so if the round 1 attacking team doesnt reach the core, all the round 2 attackers have to do is make it further than the round 1 attackers)

Huttball

Huttball is the SWTOR version of football, with a little more death and a little less rules. At the start of the match, each player will be given a spell that says "Throw the huttball". This spell should be instantly put somewhere where it is easily accessible, as passing is the primary way to score here. once the pre match time is over, each team is unleashed into an arena, with the huttball floating right in the middle. Their are many hazards and platforms in this map, so you should watch out for the green liquid in the middle, and the fire that bursts from certain platforms (green pools deal low damage, around 500 per second, the fire does around 2k per second and must be avoided). NOTE: The fire that bursts from certain platforms alternates, meaning there is always a way to get past it, the platform that will shoot fire will begin to glow orange when it is about to burst, use this as your warning sign. Upon scoring, the Huttball will reset at the middle after about 3 seconds, therefore it is highly advisable that you keep 1 or 2 players at the middle, in the event of a score. Passing the huttball is an aoe type move, with a limited range (30m). Once thrown, the area the huttball will land in will be outlined with a bright blue line, and whoever is closest to the middle of the circle, will get the ball. For the team not with the ball, it is then advisable to stand right on top any potential catchers, raising your chances of an interception. Also, in the event that no one is on the circle, the ball will reset in the middle of the arena after about 3 seconds. The two most important things to remember in this WZ is to control the middle and dont let any enemy team member stand in your endzone. Stuns and knockbacks are you best friends here, and use them to your fullest and most creative extent.

TIPS TO REMEMBER FOR ALL WARZONES

Communication is the key to winning, teams that dont talk are asking to get destroyed, and unless everyone knows where their doing, your chances of losing are very high

Anyone new to the level 50 bracket should remember to ALWAYS PICK UP THE RECRUIT PvP GEAR. You may see a drop in your base stats (endurance, aim, cunning, Etc.) but the expertise you receive will help you immensly. Trust me, anyone going into an unranked WZ with PvE gear is just asking for a 9k force sweep crit.

Have fun and play smart, dont go charging in on you own unless it is to prevent the opposing team from capping an objective, you will just end up feeding them and putting your team down one man for about 15 seconds.

Well thats my guide, provide feedback in the form of a post and let me know if I left anything out.

Ancient Hypergate

At the start of this WZ, most pubs and imps will send most of their team to one pylon, and a couple to the other one. it is imperative that your team remembers to do this, as rushing a single pylon will only give the other team a free pylon.

I only read this far and thought I'd point out that sending a few on a suicide mission to the other node (Which always seems to be the one right side of spawn) is only giving the other team kills... therefore giving them points.

The only reason one should attack the opposing node from the start is if they feel they can take it. There are no brownie points for holding it longer.. only points for holding it until detonation. So unless you feel like 3-4 players can safely capture a node on one side and at the same time, hold off the other node long enough for support to show up and cap both nodes... then the idea to send players to the opposing node is useless and only giving the other team easy points.

Enemy pylon caps should more commonly happen towards the end of the countdown in a last minute attempt to cap both before detonation. A couple stealthers can usually do the trick.

The safest approach to the map is to send everyone to one side... based on incoming from the other spawn... send the appropriate number to the node and the rest mid. Not only does this guarantee a pylon which is key, but it also improves your teams chances of having numbers at mid which results in more kills and more orbs which means more points.

Also, leaving a solo guard is never a good idea. Considering the sap cap potential behind a 6 second cap time. Rotating guards as orbs come in is ideal but hard to coordinate when relying on random players. the easiest approach in regs is to have 2 pylon guards and the rest own mid and score from kills and capture orbs when mid is free of enemies. Kills should be priority over orbs and orbs become the option when there is no one left to kill at mid.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I'll share a common strategy I see a lot in Pug Civil War.

When you get off the speeder, just stand there on the platform until you are sure that one person went to the left (Snow/Grass). If no one went, screw it. Go mid anyway.

If one person does go, it might be the person attempting to intercept for the second person, who should be running straight for the node to cap it asap. That is supposed to be you, but screw it, you went mid.

So the Interceptor gets halfway across the field, picks up the Expertise Buff, checks his minimap and knows that you decided to abandon him and go mid, because screw it, he went left so you didn't have to. The Interceptor now changes course and runs to cap the node. He sure took the long way around.

Since he took the long way around, the enemy players that your Interceptor was supposed to intercept, intercept him instead. He calls incs to that side. You spend half the match fighting over it, eventually lose it, and call the Interceptor a noob.

It's all downhill from there.

This is a common strat. And it works every time. GG

Edited by Arlanon

I only read this far and thought I'd point out that sending a few on a suicide mission to the other node (Which always seems to be the one right side of spawn) is only giving the other team kills... therefore giving them points.

Ahh i didnt know that kills give you points, I always wondered why the pylons sometimes gave more points, and not because of the orbs. Thanks for letting me know, i didnt realize the feeding was giving them the advantage

Edited by Haldeross

About hypergates... 600 to win I think. Or highest score if both go over 600 in a round. And, seconding what Ugly said, watch for cap attempts as the clock gets close to the 6 second mark. On my shadow I always go into Black Out around this time if I'm helping guard, hoping they won't be able to target me with a mez. And finally, I think the points-per-orb/kill go up each round. Not sure how much though.

Ahh i didnt know that kills give you points, I always wondered why the pylons sometimes gave more points, and not because of the orbs. Thanks for letting me know, i didnt realize the feeding was giving them the advantage

A couple of points, most often times, won't decide a win or a loss. With that said, as someone pointed out already, delaying the cap at the beginning of the countdown is kind of pointless unless you have a very coordinated team and they're immediately running orbs. The problem with that stradegy is that you spread your forces thin and if it's not perfectly executed, you're putting your team at a disadvantage. As an assassin, I will usually wait until about 20 seconds left and if the other team only leaves 1-2 to guard while everyone death matches in the middle, I will do a mind trap---> force cloak----> mind trap cap right before detenation. It works like a charm if the other team leaves themselves open for it.

Huttball

...The two most important things to remember in this WZ is to control the middle and dont let any enemy team member stand in your endzone.

I'd agree with the first one, and while the second is obviously important... I'd put "setting up for passes" as number 2. I've been in games where a stealther set in the enemy endzone almost the whole game and did nothing, because we were so outmatched that we could never get the ball close enough to pass to him. Mostly because hardly anyone else on the team was getting out in front for a pass to help move the ball in the right direction. IMHO, of course.