When should we expect the next EXPANSION?

Vagessel

There better be an expansion this year...I hate to see story being completely pushed back in favour of some ops and what not group content. My sub has been going 2 years and its mainly for story. A whole Year without story sounds bad enough...

During KOTFE there were always 2,3 instances on the fleet each day, now its barely one on rep side and sometimes 2 on imp side....good job with that focusing on group content...

Edited by ExarSun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Sam from SWTOR Central stated in one of his last streams that he asked the Devs as an influencer when the next expansion would be and he said he got the answer "we're not ready to talk about that yet". So I believe that is quite a telling answer something is on the way ;)

or they are stalling to keep sub numbers as up as far as they can with their continued incompetence.

Since we're halfway through the year and so far in the developer communication and roadmaps all comments are to a flashpoint here, an operation boss there... I've been wondering around when should we be expecting a meatier release such as KOTET or Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I'd like to see more classic companions (Jaesa!) return via a well developed story.

Is December wishful thinking? Maybe early next year? (Nooooo).

With a new Battlefront in November and a movie in December January or more likely February are most likely in my opinion. If that is the case we won't hear anything about it until Octoberish.

Since we're halfway through the year and so far in the developer communication and roadmaps all comments are to a flashpoint here, an operation boss there... I've been wondering around when should we be expecting a meatier release such as KOTET or Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I'd like to see more classic companions (Jaesa!) return via a well developed story.

Is December wishful thinking? Maybe early next year? (Nooooo).

I wouldn't expect to hear or even see anything on a new expansion till about April of 2018.

bw has way to much crap they have to change and adjust first. Way to much garbage design from the past 2 years needs to be changed and get things moving in a different direction and a game company like bw cannot do that on a dime. They do not have the resources be it money or staff to make that happen quickly.

My bet is February of 2018 we get our first tidbits of a news for a new expansion and then maybe before summer we see it released. That for me would be the best case scenario.

Worse case. We only hear about an expansion in April 2018 and don't see it till late Oct-Nov 2018.

As for expansions, NO MORE RAILROAD crap. Oh and less explosions, barely a chapter went by in KOTFE without a Michael Bay ****** going on.

Oh and yeah, more Malgus ...

Exactly, less flash more substance. If I want to watch something, I'll watch one of the movies or Game of Thrones or whatever. This game should be trying to compete with games, not movies.

Edited by annabethchase

or they are stalling to keep sub numbers as up as far as they can with their continued incompetence.

We know from 5 years of history that they do a new expac roughly once a year. Size, type, and exact timing of course has varied and so we are in the dark at this time as to the nature of the next expac and timing of release.

If we use past practice as a reference point... they normally announce and begin teasing out a new expac about 3-4 months before it goes live. They also release then somewhere around the Christmas season +/- a month or two. Last year the teased earlier and with a long run-up via DvL event, but there was so much complaining in the forums about the approach that I doubt they will do a long run-up event again. Hence I expect they will try things a bit different this time, particularly given there is a new producer in place who is more communicative (both listening and responding) to the players in the forum.

I expect we will begin to hear teasers sometime after 5.4 drops in late August... ie: sometime in September. Which would suggest at December-January release window.

Edited by Andryah

If were not getting an expansion this year my subs going.

Im not paying just to do old content.

Not picking you out in particular, just using your comment as an illustration point .... but ... ----> so much negative drama in this thread.

The thread topic wants to discuss players thoughts on when.. and the result is of course much off topic drive by teeth gnashing and threats... which bring absolutely nothing productive to the discussion topic.

Edited by Andryah

Oh it wasn't meant to be snarky, I don't know what 5.5 contains, it could have been a smaller patch. that's all.

Fair enough. :)

I do think we will have a 5.5 before an expac drops, maybe even a 5.6. But I doubt we will see any details on them before 5.4 drops and Keith pushes out a roadmap quarterly update.

Fair enough. :)

I do think we will have a 5.5 before an expac drops, maybe even a 5.6. But I doubt we will see any details on them before 5.4 drops and Keith pushes out a roadmap quarterly update.

Hmmm, I always assumed 6.0 to be an expansion.🤔 (Based on totally nothing I guess).:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

Hmmm, I always assumed 6.0 to be an expansion.🤔 (Based on totally nothing I guess).:rak_03:

6.0 would be the next Expansion, but (I apologize if this isn't at all what you meant) it doesn't necessarily follow 5.9 or anything - 6.0 might come after 5.4, or it might come after 5.83. These are all version numbers, so they don't work like decimal points.

That's why the "3.x" expansion cycle for SoR only went up to 3.3 before we got 4.0 as the next update to launch the KotFE expansion, whereas for the "2.x" expansion cycle it went all the way up to 2.10 (really up to 2.10.3a). Likewise, WoW's vanilla went up to 1.12 before the first expansion came out, whereas its latest expansion (7.0) came out after the prior cycle only went up to 6.2.

Edited by DarthDymond

I don't think that there will be another proper expansion coming. They have been wrapping up the original Swtor story for quite a while. At the moment, they are killing off the last remaining important NPC from the original game. The last one standing will be Satele. But she will also fall.

After Iokath, the Outlander will have the super weapon and the control over the whole galaxy, both Republic and Empire.

The next expansion would need a threat from outside. There is still this tiny open story left from one of the class stories on Rishi with something being in the Rishi Maze. Before KotFE, I thought that this could be the new threat, but it turned out to be Zakuul (a missed opportunity in my opinion). Thus, this could be something. However, it would have to be a massive external threat, because the player char is so powerful now. I don't see this happen in a believable way. But neither was Zakuul, so...

From a story-point-of-view, the game is in a dead end. We're at the top of everything. Who would like to be pushed to the bottom once again (like they basically did before KotFE)? Not me.

It's be become standard for EA's games to announce expansions about 6 weeks before they're released. IIRC, KotET wasn't announced until 6-8 weeks before it was released. Same with KotFE. So with that in mind, I'm willing to bet we'll hear something either this month or next month about a new expansion coming out November-Decemberish.

6.0 would be the next Expansion, but (I apologize if this isn't at all what you meant) it doesn't necessarily follow 5.9 or anything - 6.0 might come after 5.4, or it might come after 5.83. These are all version numbers, so they don't work like decimal points.

That's why the "3.x" expansion cycle for SoR only went up to 3.3 before we got 4.0 as the next update to launch the KotFE expansion, whereas for the "2.x" expansion cycle it went all the way up to 2.10 (really up to 2.10.3a). Likewise, WoW's vanilla went up to 1.12 before the first expansion came out, whereas its latest expansion (7.0) came out after the prior cycle only went up to 6.2.

It is what I meant and I agree.:)

it would make sense to be around this time of year or the start of next year, ET came out a year ago and development cycles work between 6-12months between large content releases with little bits in between. assuming bioware has been working just as hard as i expect they would be, november to janurary is my only prediction on the issue, spring 2018 is a bit late for them considering their previous expac cycles.

14 april 2013 - RotHC

9 december 2014 - SoR

27 october 2015 - FE

2 december 2016 - ET

if you noticed the dates for the previous three expacs, they are within 9-12 months of each other, the next one is expected within the next few months. i wouldn't expect bioware to leave it for over a year and half for the next one and frankly the community back then were so eager to get into SoR after the long delay between expacs that the servers almost crashed on each instance, the servers were so severely lagged so much so it was literally unplayable with lag delays every 2 seconds...

Edited by Celise

It's be become standard for EA's games to announce expansions about 6 weeks before they're released. IIRC, KotET wasn't announced until 6-8 weeks before it was released. Same with KotFE. So with that in mind, I'm willing to bet we'll hear something either this month or next month about a new expansion coming out November-Decemberish.

So I thought I remembered KotET having a crazy-short lead time as well, but:

KotET was announced on July 15, 2016 and released on December 2nd (early access November 29).

KotFE was officially announced on June 15, 2015 (and had been teased as early as mid-April) and released on October 27 (early access October 20).

That's about 4 1/2 months between announcement and release for both.

I don't think that there will be another proper expansion coming. They have been wrapping up the original Swtor story for quite a while. At the moment, they are killing off the last remaining important NPC from the original game. The last one standing will be Satele. But she will also fall.

After Iokath, the Outlander will have the super weapon and the control over the whole galaxy, both Republic and Empire.

The next expansion would need a threat from outside. There is still this tiny open story left from one of the class stories on Rishi with something being in the Rishi Maze. Before KotFE, I thought that this could be the new threat, but it turned out to be Zakuul (a missed opportunity in my opinion). Thus, this could be something. However, it would have to be a massive external threat, because the player char is so powerful now. I don't see this happen in a believable way. But neither was Zakuul, so...

From a story-point-of-view, the game is in a dead end. We're at the top of everything. Who would like to be pushed to the bottom once again (like they basically did before KotFE)? Not me.

Honestly, 5.0 wasnt a proper expansion. There was very little new content, gear grind was all that they had. That wont work again.

So I thought I remembered KotET having a crazy-short lead time as well, but:

KotET was announced on July 15, 2016 and released on December 2nd (early access November 29).

KotFE was officially announced on June 15, 2015 (and had been teased as early as mid-April) and released on October 27 (early access October 20).

That's about 4 1/2 months between announcement and release for both.

Wow. Yeah I thought it was much shorter than that!