Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

thomasbaxter

Yeah like I say each to their own. If I'm expanding on it slightly more, I've found the rep side stories a lot duller than the sith side stories but I think Bioware had more creative control over the baddies while the goodies have a sort of 'canon' they need to stick by.

The consular class I actually love. The story so far I've just not wanted to continue at all. The finale is quite cool and very star-wars 'return of the jedi' end but none of the bad guys are memorable. The Jedi Knight story I have only played to level 35 and it's not been as good as warrior or inq but there's at least been a few memorable bad guys :)

Qyzen I warmed to as when u do his side quests:

and go to his father's grave to pay tribute, then try to teach his other trandoshan friends about how to figth with honour etc

u start to like him. Still, as froid said the inquisitor first companion knocks Qyzen out the park. The other companions bar Nadia annoy me and I really don't even like seeing them on my ship haha.

It's weird. When I got Khem I absolutely hated him even tho' I went dark side. It wasn't until Chapter 2 that I started to like him.

So far I've played thru the Inquisitor, Agent, Bounty Hunter and most of the Consular story, and I have to say the Chapter 2 is kind of dull for all but the Agent. The Inquisitor story

has you playing Pac-man fer cryin' out loud.

Oh, and great post Allronix. :)

Edited by Kupo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, there's something else that bugs me: there are no consequences for saving the Jedi masters, either. Many NPCs mention that using the shielding technique weakens you, but when you use it nothing actually happens. It'd make more sense to me if shielding someone causes you to get a debuff that reduces your Willpower by 2% per shield, stacking to 5. The debuff would be removed at the end of Chapter 1. Of course, there'd have to be some warning before it happens.

So I finally finished the Consular story yesterday and came here to say what I thought about it.

But thanks to Allronix, I don't have to. Here is his post again for justice!

The Consular story takes a long time to get going, I'll admit. And there are a couple of gaping flaws. But here's where the moment of Fridge Brilliance hit.

Almost every class in this game was designed as an expy of an iconic character in Star Wars. Want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi? Play a Knight. Want to be Han Solo? Play a Smuggler. Want a return trip to Republic Commando? Play a Trooper!

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa. Ignore the Force Powers. They're just a means to an end. What are you doing? Through Act 1, you are going planet to planet stopping some crazy Jedi who are using existing local conditions and political tensions as weaponry. You're defusing the situation with words and/or lightsaber diplomacy and keeping the situations from going nuclear.

Since you proved your worth in the first act by defusing four political near-disasters, the Supreme Chancellor sends you the job (again, the Jedi are just there to act as the messengers) of impressing a handful of neutral (but VERY strategic) worlds. One of these is Manaan; anyone remember how important these guys were in the first game? There's also a planet that got screwed over by both the Imperials and the Republic (Balmorra) with massive weapon and droid factories where you coordiate with the Resistance (Zenith) to pull off a coup and install Republic-friendly leadership. There's Quesh with their medical supplies and stim factories. You rescue the monarchs of the Sarkhai from ambush (yeah, they're joining the Republic after this, and lending you some troops for that armada) You score major brownie points with the Rift on Hoth by defeating a White Maw pirate who was preying on their fleet and pick up a decorated Republic officer (Felix Iresso) as a kind of liason between the Rift, the Order, and the Republic military (relations between the Order and Republic military haven't often been smooth - remember how much Bastila and Carth could bicker). Belsalvis? It's crawling with a species the Rakata didn't even want to screw with...and you recruit a karking army of them! Off to Voss where you make yourself a Big Damn Hero by being a potential Mystic's honor guard. In the end, you have a Mystic (remember, the Voss consider those guys to be nearly godlike and they are considered too valuable to leave the planet) and his entourage added to your fleet. You can also fulfil a prophesy that may put an end to the centuries of Voss/Gormak warfare. By the time you reach Corellia, you have a ragtag flotilla in tow...and said ragtag flotilla is made of some of the scariest stuff in the galaxy. Mind you, none of these guys are loyal to the Republic. They're loyal to you. You just happen to be loyal to the Republic.

The Children are like the plague-addled Masters...many of them twisted and altered by a dark force working in the shadows to sow unrest and destabilize political situations so that the Republic is fighting dozens of enemies and cannot trust their friends. You're the guy making sure that the other three classes have the support of local government and puttiong and end to Darth Cuthulu's attempt to destabilize the Republic and the Order through a network of Manchurian Agents. You give the other three classes the support they need to finish the job.

Great write up Allronix. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Edited by ZeroPlus

I have several problems with the story or at least how it's played out so far for me.

1. I'm playing a jedi not a sith so I want to go LS. Killing the masters is darkside and not jedi way, period. Yes they were doing or trying to do bad things, but this while being controlled by someone else. You end up in a fight with every one of them, at the end of the fight they are still alive unable to fight further, very clearly at your mercy. So yes there is no justification to killing them as a jedi. If you want to become a sith then by all means kill away, but you should get a different title, not highest honor title of the order.

2. Companions. Why is the consular story set up to where all you do is piss off companions. Show mercy to any master afflicted by mind control curse, serious hatred, except Yuon, this makes Qyzen a hypocrit in my books and irks me to no end. Help out little kids, Qyzen hates. Be nice to officials and help out, Qyzen hates. Use your powers to stop an unnecessary conflict, Theran hates. It's like every companion you get has to be bribed to like you and I'm pretty sure that goes against jedi way. I don't want to go darkside, if I wanted to do that I would have played a sith. Without going darkside there's hardly anything you can do to make these ppeople happy. So most companions are completely incompatible with jedi way.

I always kept hearing people say really negative things about the consular story so I went into it with some low expectations and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how cool the story actually was, now guaranteed it's no agent storyline but I still really enjoyed it, in particular I enjoyed

Collecting an army during all of chapter two and three then using them towards the end, made me feel awesome

As for companions, I'll grant you they're pretty dull but I really liked Zenith and Nadia, the others are rather forgettable though.

Overall I actually enjoyed the consular storyline and won't mind going through it again whenever I can drag my shadow to 50.

Still, I must say if you go darkside the story makes absolutely no sense, PARTICULARLY being given the title of Bar'sen'thor since you become a complete mass murderer, the Jedi knight at least gets called out on going dark side during their story, the consular? newp, never really addressed

Edited by Twickers

I thought the story ranged from "kinda boring" to "meh, okay, I guess." Then I got to Corellia, and everything just sort of came together, and it was awesome.

I'm trying not to spoil anything here, but Corellia will make you feel like a boss. Not in some deus ex machina way, either; you personally laid the groundwork for it all.

Edited by nateslice

It's like every companion you get has to be bribed to like you and I'm pretty sure that goes against jedi way. I don't want to go darkside, if I wanted to do that I would have played a sith. Without going darkside there's hardly anything you can do to make these ppeople happy. So most companions are completely incompatible with jedi way.

Personally, I liked most of the Consular companions with the exception of Iresso: his personality is too vanilla, especially considering the extreme personalities of the rest. Of course, when dealing with your companions, the first thing you have to realize about them is that they aren't just going to bow down in worship because you're a Jedi, especially since they tend to have pretty strong personalities themselves and have vastly different value structures.

Qyzen is a hunter and sees you as the Herald of his goddess: as such, you're not supposed to show mercy or support weakness, but you are supposed to fight with honor. That's just how the Scorekeeper operates: she's not nice, but she's fair. Whenever he loses affection with you because you spared someone or helped out the less fortunate, it's not because he doesn't like you; it's because he doesn't share the same cultural values as you and is having to come around to your way of thinking (remember, he reveres you as a religious figure; he'll follow you, but if you tell him something that conflicts with his existing beliefs, he might not like it, even if he obeys).

Tharan is a scientist and a pacifist: as such, he's not really fond of Jedi mysticism or pointless confrontation and especially hates it when unique technology is destroyed. Solving problems with Force powers when words will do may seem like the "Jedi" way, but it's just as much the Jedi way to use your words when you can. As such, you can still be an LS Jedi with Tharan along for the ride as long as you're not trying to Mind Trick your way out of every problem you come across.

Zenith is a guerrilla freedom fighter and politico; he's all about fighting dirty to get what he needs done. Fighting fair is antithetical to him and he's not above blackmail and other unsavory methods, but he's all about making sure the truth gets out there, especially when it will expose corruption. He's not *nice*, but he's a good guy. As an LS Jedi, he'll support you when you help out the little guys, but, like Qyzen, is averse to showing mercy, at least to those that were in power and failed their trustees.

Iresso and Nadia are, quite obviously, LS companions: they're all about being on the level, fighting fair, defending the weak, and the lot. Pretty much the only things that *will* piss them off are the obvious DS options.

All in all, the 3 companions that most LS Consulars have a problem with are only problematic when you play the Consular as naive and prefers use their Force powers to solve all of their problems. If you use the Force as a last resort only when mundane means will be just as effective, you'll have a much easier time with all 3, even if some of you decisions aren't exactly popular with them.

All in all, the 3 companions that most LS Consulars have a problem with are only problematic when you play the Consular as naive and prefers use their Force powers to solve all of their problems. If you use the Force as a last resort only when mundane means will be just as effective, you'll have a much easier time with all 3, even if some of you decisions aren't exactly popular with them.

I was reading the "Power of the Jedi Sourcebook" Pen and Paper Star Wars game published by Wizards and there was a great line in there. The section was "Do you really want to be a Jedi?" It asked why. Do you want the lightsaber, the force powers? If so, then probably being a Jedi isn't for you. Because a true Jedi turns to those as a last resort, not as a convenience or to solve every problem.

That book explains much to me about the complaints people have with Consulars. Consulars are written like Jedi Consulars should be. It's just that many people really don't want to be a Jedi Consular.

"Adventure...heh. Excitement...hmph....A Jedi craves not these things." - Yoda

But MMORPG players do. ;)

That's not exactly what I meant. I use force persuasion very little. Naive and wanting to help out are also completely different. Qyzen loved it when you spared Youn and protected her from outside influence. Why would he have a problem with you doing it for the other masters. He understands what you are doing and knows they suffer from same sffliction Youn did. So sparing them shouldn't garner any negative affection what-so-ever.

Theran just rubs me all kinds of wrong. I don't find him charming or suave, just irritating. He knows you're a jedi. So if I have tried several means to end a conflict peacefully and my choices are to fight or use powers to persuade, you think the lil pacifist jerk would be happy.

The other 3 I can sorta understand but your first 2 companions are complete hypocrits.

That's not exactly what I meant. I use force persuasion very little. Naive and wanting to help out are also completely different. Qyzen loved it when you spared Youn and protected her from outside influence. Why would he have a problem with you doing it for the other masters. He understands what you are doing and knows they suffer from same sffliction Youn did. So sparing them shouldn't garner any negative affection what-so-ever.

Qyzen has a history with Master Yuon Par; he doesn't have a history with any of the other masters. As such, he's bound to be a bit predisposed to keeping her alive while not really caring if the other masters die for their weakness, especially since he *also* knows that each act of protection ends up weakening you. In short, he likes you because you were willing to sacrifice some of your own strength to protect someone both you and he are close friends with; he doesn't like how you sacrificed some of your own strength to help out someone you just barely met.

Theran just rubs me all kinds of wrong. I don't find him charming or suave, just irritating. He knows you're a jedi. So if I have tried several means to end a conflict peacefully and my choices are to fight or use powers to persuade, you think the lil pacifist jerk would be happy.

On Tharan's personal priority of "important things to consider", "not using the Force" is higher than "pacifism". He just *really* doesn't like the Force (mainly because he just doesn't understand it and is incapable of using it, most likely). He's an empiricist; as such, unless he can interact with and control it himself, the mere mention it perturbs him to no end. It should also be mentioned that, because of Tharan's personality and his likes and dislikes, you'll come across a lot of situations that are lose/lose: he's a pacifist, a coward, a Force hater, and a lover of technology. You, on the other hand, are a hero and a mystic. You're pretty much the diametric opposite of Tharan, which, rather than begging the question as to him being a hypocrite, begs the question as to why the hell he ends up dealing with Jedi so much: Jedi are pretty much, by definition, mystics that run around doing heroic things. If he so dislikes mysticism and heroism (and not just heroism *for the ladies*), why did he run around with Yuon Par and on to you? I always felt like there was some vein of masochism in his desire to join you (either that, or he's trying to convince you to give up your heroic, mystic ways and join him on the side of cowardly empiricism).

If the Consular class quest had been a Khem Val as a companion or had a more relevant act 1 I don't think anyone would be having this discussion.

For example, with the Inquisitor you receive Khem Val as a main companion. Not only is he integral to your class story as a companion, but the entire premise of his character fits with the Inquisitor mindset. As a force-resistance Dashade who was the former servant/assassin of a sith lord, his lore and backstory are perfect for the class.

By contrast Qyzen is irrelevant. Hunting dangerous beasts for personal honor is as obscure and unrelated to the Consular story as you can get. They might have been able to do something cool with the companion plot, but don't instead just putting you on a generic Trandoshan hunter/scorekeeper thing. Not to say Qyzen is an inherently bad companion just compared to the Makos', Khems', etc he just doesn't really have any ties to helping progress your class story.

In and of itself this wouldn't be a problem (other classes have similar "meh" first companions after all), but the Consular class story itself is at its' weakest while the rest of the game is at its' strongest.

Back in the beta stages of the SWTOR, every new beta-test period was accompanied by a character reset for the playtesters. So most never really reached high level and instead ended up playing through and testing the low level planets dozens of times while almost never reaching high level. And we can see the results of this, on a planet by planet comparison, regardless of the lore or atmosphere of Voss, Corellia, Illum they're pretty underwhelming from a planet quest perspective.

So the Consular story is really in a bind when the planet stuff is great the Consular Act 1 is really dragging a long on the weakest of plots, and when it finally picks up its' a point in the leveling range where most players are forgoing planet quests completely in lieu of warzones/dailies/etc.. There's never really a sweet spot with the Consular story where you have great class quests on great planets. Which turns most people off from leveling their Consular alts unless they're just power-leveling, since the Consular companions/story just aren't that great early on.

Edited by FROIDBUSTER

On the note of Qyzen, I would actually say if you do the side story with him he's probably the only redeeming thing about the whole thing for me. Couldn't stand him at first but then felt for him

when you go to tatooine to make peace with his father by visiting his body etc

was quite sad and I liked it. The rest of the companions I hated (apart from Nadia but she was still a bit of a meh love interest compared to Ashara and Vette)

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

This.

There was potential in the story, if it had been done right. The fact that there were no repercussions was what really killed it for me. I was rather hyped on Coruscant, when I learned the ritual and the Sith mocked me, asking how many I'd be able to save before I die myself. I think he was guessing around the low digits of 2-3.

So, playing a light side Jedi, I naturally tried to save my master, even at the cost of myself. It felt satisfying. But throughout the entire chapter 1, not once did it feel like this special technique was lethal to myself. The only feedback I got was "Oh, I feel so good, but why do you look so weak?" ...

In the agent's storyline,

In chapter 2, your character is subject to a crude form of mind control, and trying to fight it causes him/her to lose his/her mind. On the ship he/she starts hallucinating, and ends up in the medbay. THAT gets you involved in the story and makes you care about your character. You grow concerned.

I was hoping to see something similar in the Consular Story. To see our characters become so weak that they'll have to rely on the Jedi Order to help stop lord Vivicar. Isn't that what being a Jedi is about, anyway? Sacrifice. And you should be rewarded with the Barsen'lol title if you managed to sacrifice yourself along the entire way, and the ones you rescue should be there to help you against the fight against Vivicar.

On the flip side, this also makes the dark side a bit more iconic. If you kill all the jedi and never sacrifice yourself on the way, you'll be strong enough to tackle a Sith Lord on your own. You should not be promoted to Master or Barsen'lol, though. Heck, the Jedi should scold you. But alas.

Funny thing;

When I played the story I kept saving the Jedi because I never saw any real repercussions. But at the very end of the story I was so f*cking tired of the bullsh*t that I decided not to try and save Vivicar. I didn't want my jedi to be a perfect example. So, despite being such a good jedi, I still caused the deaths of hundreds of jedi throughout the galaxy. Here's the interesting thing, though;

After the battle, Syo Bakarn tells me over the holo that my master succumbed. That made me feel some regret and for a short moment I actually felt something towards the story. Then I return to Tython, and she's there and very much alive, congratulating me on my success.

Later on, I get a mail with the death count of all the jedi deaths I was responsible for. The mailer sends his condolences for what happened to my master, suggesting that she died as well (which makes sense, since Vivicar said that not even the ones I shielded would survive, or something in the likes...).

Then! We come to chapter 3, and I'm reintroduced to the noetikons. They ask me if I managed to save my master, and my character can say yes...

The consular story is so badly done, there is no alternative path. There is only light side or dark side. Try to go inbetween and you'll be disconnected from the story because the story itself won't keep track of what's happening. It's a very, very bad story.

I played both the jedi knight story and the consular story and i personally loved the consular story.

Might include spoilers, so i'm going to tag these for my dear story loving friends.

Consular story is one of the best.

I have played both the jedi knight story and the consular story and compared two of them.

Consular story, starts with a conflict. It gives you power, and a reason to use that power. It gives you the feeling of doing what's right, it makes you the only qualified person for the job. You have a reason to go deal with all the "sick" people. People look to you as if you are a jedi, doing his duty. In your adventures, you start as a padawan, you gain power, and use it to do the right thing.

The story itself, was great, it made me feel i made a difference. I became more powerful in time and i used that power to make a difference. Yes it lacked the "grey" choices in conversations a bit and i played a dark consular and i can't wait to play the light version of it.

----------------------

Jedi Knight story is a scam. It is all about some guy being better than others at swordplay in an insane way, working his way to the top, facing the ultimate evil.

All the story was about "You are so awesome !" "You are so great !" "You are the saviour of the Republic", I kept asking myself, why am i doing these ? Why am i even here ? I want to be a gosh darn jedi, not a overpowered sword user, stopping any destructive weapon s/he hears to aid the Republic. It never gave me the feeling of being a padawan, improving in time. I always felt like i was special, i was powerful, and nothing can stop me. All that story did not give me improvement, just praises.

Edited by Hakkology

The ones who say it's the best story for making you feel part of the bigger picture are right. That's one thing I'll give you, you do feel more involved in the politics of the war. That said if I played a virtual accountant doing the jedi's tax returns I would be too, but that doesn't mean I'd want to play 50 levels of it lol.

The companions for the consular to me are just creeps.

That stuck up scientist whose obsessed with a computer sprite just gives me shivers, Zenith and Iresso are so dull and basically the biggest ******es ever, Nadia's cool but painfully underused and Qyzen is only likeable if you choose to do his side story

That said the problem also for me was the lack of interesting enemies. You know I remember every enemy from all the classes I've done but consular which, to me, indicates how interesting I found them. Heck I remember the first baddies the warrior, inquisitor, agent and knight all met but I can't even remember the final one for JC.

One of the biggest problems with the JC class like I've said previously is a lot of the class stories are so grindy (collect 4 leaves, touch 4 alters, kill 4 people) it seems the writers knew the story was quite thin they had to space it out. I remember one of the villains you battle on a ship, for example, was just this one guy at the back but u had to fight through like 10 rooms of the same mobs. Was frustrating.

Anyway obv each to their own but i still won't play the JC again. Well I have a shadow but I'm levelling him purely through space missions and flashpoints because the actual CLASS is amazing :)

Consular's biggest appeal for me is that he has the Obi-Wan bearing and outlook so utterly devoid from the Knight story who is just some botched attempt at a Luke Skywalker.

Obi-Wan's nickname is "The Negotiator" which is why chs 2 and 3 are about diplomacy and indeed you would not know the fate of places like Balmorra otherwise as the other classes breeze though looking out for their own class missions only.

If you play LS, Chapter 1 is primarily about self sacrifice which is perhaps not a popular topic with a wider audience and even though it has no meaningful consequence it fits the vision of a well trained noble Jedi like Kenobi.

Personally I am enjoying the Consular story, but then again I majored in history in college :) I do agree that Qyzen is turning out to be really good as a companion. Out of all the classes my consular is the ONLY one to take down a "gold star" enemy without resorting to Heroic moments buffs. To each their own I guess.

Consular's biggest appeal for me is that he has the Obi-Wan bearing and outlook so utterly devoid from the Knight story who is just some botched attempt at a Luke Skywalker.

Obi-Wan's nickname is "The Negotiator" which is why chs 2 and 3 are about diplomacy and indeed you would not know the fate of places like Balmorra otherwise as the other classes breeze though looking out for their own class missions only.

If you play LS, Chapter 1 is primarily about self sacrifice which is perhaps not a popular topic with a wider audience and even though it has no meaningful consequence it fits the vision of a well trained noble Jedi like Kenobi.

This is pretty much exactly why I like the Consular story. We hear about the Jedi being healers and diplomats and counselors quite a ibt, but we generally only get to see them as action heroes. It's nice to have a class story that actually explores those other aspects.

I've been enjoying the consular story very much! I'm playing through as DS and loving it. I saved my master but killed the others. Why? Because all of them in my mind as I was playing crossed the line. Each of them plotted and killed many innocent people. Examples are the master on Taris, the daughter on the ship, etc...my master only attacked me on her madness not worthy of a killing blow. Seriously if I saved those Jedi after sacrificing my strength they shouldnt get a free pass for the horrible things they did. Thats why I was their judge and executioner and I loved that. I prevented in each way the Sith plague master from getting stronger. Now I feel like Commander Sheppard amassing this army to fight the empire and it feels great. All the dialogue for these moments is top notch. I know haters are going to hate but I hate when people have been saying on here that the cosular story line is not Star Wars enough and that The Jedi Knight is......seriously guys a sith lord companion?? He doesnt even turn to the LS...Same thing pissed me off avoit my Inq and the jedi padawan I picked up ***??? So in closing I think the Cosular is spot on in story and fitting companions!

I've been enjoying the consular story very much! I'm playing through as DS and loving it. I saved my master but killed the others. Why? Because all of them in my mind as I was playing crossed the line. Each of them plotted and killed many innocent people. Examples are the master on Taris, the daughter on the ship, etc...my master only attacked me on her madness not worthy of a killing blow. Seriously if I saved those Jedi after sacrificing my strength they shouldnt get a free pass for the horrible things they did. Thats why I was their judge and executioner and I loved that. I prevented in each way the Sith plague master from getting stronger. Now I feel like Commander Sheppard amassing this army to fight the empire and it feels great. All the dialogue for these moments is top notch. I know haters are going to hate but I hate when people have been saying on here that the cosular story line is not Star Wars enough and that The Jedi Knight is......seriously guys a sith lord companion?? He doesnt even turn to the LS...Same thing pissed me off avoit my Inq and the jedi padawan I picked up ***??? So in closing I think the Cosular is spot on in story and fitting companions!

Well, I'd point out that Yuon had a rather significant advantage in that she, literally, fell ill right in front of the Jedi Council and was immediately put under close supervision and care. The other Masters were operating alone, on worlds not fully controlled by the Republic, so there was no one around to keep them from fully slipping into madness.

This was my final story to play through and a big hats off to anyone that managed this without being bored to death. None of my choice seem to have any effect on anything in the game and what should have been amazing story was some how drained of any interest.

Getting my own army and separatist movement would have been excellent for the Sith Inquisitor but as a jedi it was just dull.

More so some of the difficult choices in the story were so meaningless as to be forgotten as soon as they were made. I killed every jedi and republic person I could and I still come out a hero.

12 Pages of dead Master, I probably killed more than any Sith character and yet I still get given the highest honour and its all but forgotten that there is a massive shortage of jedi masters in the republic now.

So really have to say if anyone is wondering if they should do this story, make sure you do it on double xp weekends or an already dull story will be so drawn out as to be painful.

This was my final story to play through and a big hats off to anyone that managed this without being bored to death. None of my choice seem to have any effect on anything in the game and what should have been amazing story was some how drained of any interest.

Getting my own army and separatist movement would have been excellent for the Sith Inquisitor but as a jedi it was just dull.

The thing is thought that you don't get your own army and separatist movement. The Republic gets allies and a planet lost to the Empire during the war is given back to its people. Being a Guardian of the Republic means more than just stabbing lots of bad guys in the face with your lightsaber.. Or for a Consular smashing their faces in with rocks.

More so some of the difficult choices in the story were so meaningless as to be forgotten as soon as they were made. I killed every jedi and republic person I could and I still come out a hero.

12 Pages of dead Master, I probably killed more than any Sith character and yet I still get given the highest honour and its all but forgotten that there is a massive shortage of jedi masters in the republic now.

Well, the thing is, however bloodthirsty and cruel you were...you still ultimately preserved the Order. Sure it would have been nice if you had saved the Masters, but if you hadn't intervened there would have been a massive surplus of insane Jedi Masters under the control of the Sith running around. A shortage of Masters is preferable to the Republic being completely unable to trust in the Jedi, and their relations are strained all ready.

Though I really appreciated the way the Consular story tried to reach towards the diplomatic and mystic aspects of Jedi work, I can't help but feel the story was a series of missed opportunities. Events would build to what I thought would be a great twist, only for things to play out in a much more mundane direction.

Where to begin?

- The First Son is possibly the most glaring. This is a character that probably ranks as one of the most potentially sinister villains in the whole of the Old Republic. Hints as to something wrong amongst the Jedi could have been dropped as early as Tython. The existence of a mastermind, some shadowy figure working against you from the start who's always one step ahead of you, could answer so many questions. What encouraged Nalen Raloch to start uncovering the secrets of Rajivari? How did Bengel Morr get on Tython? How did Terrek Morrhage's sickness manage to get at each of the Masters? Alone, all of these have seperate, fairly dull explanations, but I think linking some of these things to a mysterious enemy might have helped build up the First Son's threat.

- Yuon Parr. She was my Master for all of two hours and didn't teach me anything. I think that there's not enough screen time for the Masters of the two Jedi characters, and Knighthood comes too quickly - the Sith stories spend all of Act 1 as an Apprentice, and I think they're better for it. Orgus Din at least gets some time, but Yuon disappears from the story much too quickly. We barely know her. When the Consular story was likened to KOTOR 2 in an early pre-release article, I hoped to see some teaching scenes between the Consular and Yuon, similar to those between Kreia and the Exile. Travelling with your Master would have been a nice touch for Act 1, and I don't think the story would have had to change much to do it.

- The Rift Alliance. This was kind of weird. As soon as I heard about the Rift Alliance, my immediate thought was "Sith plot." It made perfect sense that the Sith, specifically the Children of the Emperor, would work this way - encouraging political dissent and secession within the Republic, weakening it from within. I think it would have made an excellent twist for the Consular to have been able to take that plot and turn it against the Empire. But in the end, it emerges that the Rift Alliance is actually completely legitimate and was not encouraged by the Empire or the Sith in any way. And even more bizarrely, one of the Rift Alliance's representatives is actually a Child of the Emperor. Blaesus is a villain seemingly without purpose; he's not responsible for the Rift Alliance, he just seems to be there out of pure coincidence.

- Nadia Grell. If the Consular is the Obi-Wan experience, then Nadia - a young, naturally powerful Jedi student late to training who exhibits emotional instability and suffers a recent parental bereavement - is clearly your Anakin Skywalker. And what are Obi-Wan and Anakin known for? Fighting one another, of course. Nadia's father's death seemed so pointlessly cruel that it seemed staged purely to try and turn Nadia to the Dark Side. When her father's will was read out, giving you custody of her, I half-imagined the will had been forged by the First Son, deliberately putting this reckless, unstable student into your hands with the intention of using her against you later. But again, everything turns out to be exactly as it seems. The reason for Nadia's father's kidnapping and murder is not explained. All very weird.

- The end confrontation. Every other class story seems to have some epic showdown in a specially designed location that's not on Corellia. Not so the Consular, who fights the First Son in a cave under a building. Bearing in mind that this is Corellia, a heavily urbanised world, and this is Syo Bakarn, the alleged master of defensive architecture, and it seems so out of place to end up abruptly fighting him in a natural rock cave. What happened? Did time run out on making the end of the questline?

- Gaden-Ko and Hallow Voice. They're aliens from two secretive races; one secluded, the other from ancient history. Their cultures both have strange, unusual views on the Force. These guys are practically made to be Consular companions. And I can't talk to them outside of story dialogues! Argh! I know it would be weird to have a melee tank at the end of Belsavis and a healer at the end of Voss, but I think I would happily trade Tharan and Qyzen (sorry, guys) for these two!

... so yes. The Consular story was adequate, but it's the story so far that's left me with the most 'wouldn't it have been cool if...' thoughts.

A "competent" story is any piece of writing with proper punctuation and grammatical syntax. Green Eggs And Ham is a competent story. Teletubbies have competent writers. Which is where I suspect BioWare dug up the writer(s) of the consular arc.

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

I mock the order, murder it's most prominent servants, bring about the deaths of hundreds of masters and deliberately disrespect not only the council but every person in my path at every given opportunity and am subsequently granted the highest honors the order has to offer.

THAT, by definition, is bad writing.

How any individual with an IQ greater than that of a turnip could defend that kind of story telling is beyond any level of understanding I possess.

You must hate the movies.

As far as this thread overall... just look at every last one of you that's stated you hate the Jedi Consular story.

#1 Almost all of you have stated the Jedi Consular was not your first play through, making you otherwise familiar with much that occurs in some way. Which severely limits your ability to enjoy the story the same way.

#2 Almost all of you have stated that you enjoyed other classes stories that are much -less- subtle, much more focused on your own actions, choices and situation and more 'personal' in some way. Almost all of them have direct goals, plots, consequences and choices to be made.

#3 You've all displayed in what you've written a clear disposition towards high octane action scenarios, grandios enemies and memorable climaxes.

You don't like the Jedi Consular story because it does not suit you, it does not fit your personality type and your expectations of it do not coincide with what it's attempting to do what so ever.

The Jedi consular story plays out as a mystery/suspense story with a lot of self-sacrifice or philosophically based judgements for the greater good that otherwise affect you as a character very little. They do on the other hand affect the grander scale of the world in a much more impactful way than most of the other class stories.

I could dissect it, and you further. But please, at least have the objectivity to understand that not every story appeals to everyone.... Guess what... I find the vast majority of action movies arbitrary naive and stupid rollercoaster rides for ignorant people and children, I felt the Jedi Knight, Sith Inquisitor and BH storylines were the exact same way.. stupid 'thrills' for the sake of thrills with absolutely no backing or purpose behind them. Stupid entertainment for stupid people too busy being stupid to put thought into their actions.

Not to say you're dumb, but that's my equally biased and naively stated opinion of those stories...

The fact of the matter is.. based on my expectations of Bioware, a good book, and Star Wars.. the class story for -every- class blows the fat chode of a alpha male babboon rubbed in poison ivy. And if you think any different, good for you.. Not to say it's -terrible- (It is, generally), but it comes no where near the potential that I know it could have met.

Really, and this will sound rude.. the biggest complaint I see coming from people stems from the inability to think for themselves. Like truthfully, if you chose to kill all the Masters, made sensible choices in conversations to fit what your character would do.. all it takes is a basic understanding of the Philosophies behind the Jedi Order to understand why it was 'Ok' to kill them. Not ideal, but not inherently 'evil', simply the darker of two paths.

One last edit. I -completely- agree with the guy above me. The biggest true flaw of the Jedi Consular story is those missed opportunities.. it has the makings and backdrop for easily the most engaging and best story of the entire game, but so many missed opportunities to capitalize upon it. Luckily, I have this thing called an imagination. :)

Edited by Oogtug