Sith Assassins Are Bad for DPS Raiding

jtkitche

Basically I was saying ops are only ones ahead of sins as far as burst, but we're close, and as far as what you were saying... Exactly sometimes my shock often crits for around 4k total (2.5k + 1.5k) maul is 3k+, discharge 3k+, assassinate 3k+ its great, not to mention all the stuns we have, if you went deception you add another stun "low slash" which is great. I love my deception sin, oh how I do miss death field though, if you crit on a mob you can hit everyone for 3k+ thats alot of damage output.... I'm not sure about the mechanics of operatives, haven't heard anything about stances though...

Mine at level 27 does not have the extra "aura" damage. I know that much. Madness isn't bad, but it's quite different coming from playing a WoW rogue. Once you get the rotation though you do feel like you're doing a lot of damage even though you don't see all the big numbers. Damage just comes in small to medium bunches instead of few instances of big ones.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? Deception DPS is good, you just need to set your priorities straight, Assassinate -> Maul proc -> Discharge -> Shock ( When 2x Induction and the Volcanic Slash buff ). With 3/5 T2 and 2/5 T1 stalker gear, I can crit 6k-7k without trouble, I am the only one that overaggroes the tank in ops / flashpoints. I'm using a 5/31/5 spec. On the council fight I finish my boss among the first ( they're putting me on the ones on the sides with 78k hp afaik ) but have in mind that I can't use my maul procs which reduces a huge amount of my damage outcome.

I'm the primary melee DPS/offtank for my guild (10/10 Nightmare working on timed runs) and personally I find no problems with Assassin damage. Our guilds dps always have competitions to see who can pull aggro from our tank with just damage and it's almost always a powertech or myself. I do a pretty good job at maximizing Deception rotation (IMO is pretty easy to play but with all the QQ about how underpowered it is other people might not think so) The bloodlust buff from Mauraders is very nice though and we do generally have one in the raid.

Maybe our Maurader isn't pulling aggro because he's bad? I haven't played one so I cannot speak to the difficulty of their rotation but in all my experience with SWTOR I've always been underwhelmed with the damage of the class (PVP and PVE).

This isn't necessarily to say that one class is the "better" melee dps and should be given preference in raid spots. What I'm trying to get at is that Bioware did a pretty good job balancing the DPS of all the classes and that if played competently, Assassin can make a great damage dealer in PVE. Also we make great backup tanks in a clutch :)

Hmm I've done operations with this build for a while:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MZhGMRkhMrtzZcMc.1

But after really checking out the talent tree, Is it really worth wasting 2 talent points to get Chain Shock? Since Crackling Charge doesn't affect Deception Assassin's Discharge.

Wouldn't this spec make more sense:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200Mc0MZhGMRkhMrtzZc.1

Atleast then you aren't wasting 2 talent points and there is less RNG than the Chain Shock build.

Or is Chain Shock so much better than Charge Mastery that it's worth wasting 2 talent points?

Edited by Aluano

Hmm I've done operations with this build for a while:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MZhGMRkhMrtzZcMc.1

But after really checking out the talent tree, Is it really worth wasting 2 talent points to get Chain Shock? Since Crackling Charge doesn't affect Deception Assassin's Discharge.

Wouldn't this spec make more sense:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200Mc0MZhGMRkhMrtzZc.1

Atleast then you aren't wasting 2 talent points and there is less RNG than the Chain Shock build.

Or is Chain Shock so much better than Charge Mastery that it's worth wasting 2 talent points?

Just looking at the talents themselves it does seem Charge Mastery + Electric Execution > Chain Shock. Some people at Sithwarrior did some theorycrafting and came up with Chain Shock being better because Shock is used so often in Deception build. That said, they also do not know (last I read at least) how to properly calculate armor penetration into % dps increase. Without meters it's impossible to tell which way is better. For now the difference is probably negligible.

Considering I often times pull aggro as madness spec in raids, without any aggro increase in shock or aggro threat building abilities. I would have to say this is false, there is no way I'm pulling threat of the tank and not be up there in damage.

There's a guild on my server that always invites me to DPS on 16m raids and such.

Whatever the raid is where you have to all solo a mob 1on1 I didn't have a problem with.

I'm usually the only Assassin there and they keep asking me to do more so personally I feel I am contributing fairly well.

Maybe I'm just fooling myself :p

Forgot to mention I have 0 PvE gear.

Edited by Acindo

I have heard a lot of discussion around this, that for DPS in any of the operation Hard Mode/Nightmare Modes that Sith Assassins fail compared to Operative DPS and for raid purposes a Maurader would be selected over operative and operative over assasin, but maurader over both in most cases due to the threat/dmg reduction buff they can create on MT or MH.

Thoughts? My best bud has rolled a Sith Assassin and I want to incorporate him into our raids, but don't want to gimp the group either...

Please shed some light here on the DPS builds by Sith Assassins and why they should be viable for Raiding compared to their other Melee DPS counterparts the Operative/Maurader/Juggernaught

-Thy (Hedarr Soongh - Dark Souls)

No offense but if you're worried about "gimping raids" then your group must suck.

HM operations are a joke and can be done with orange gear and daily mods. Also, assassins are beast in PvE just as they are in PvP but they require someone who isn't an idiot to play them properly.

Sounds like the issues you're running into start and end with "stupid".

Edited by Kurfer

Assassins do fine DPS; I can say this as a tank (as let's be fair - tanks are the closest you'll get to DPS meters at the moment! ;)).

In our 16 man raid we have a Deception Assassin; he gets my Guard, and if anyone pulls threat it's typically him.

Bosses die very quickly, so I know our raid DPS is very good. I also know that my damage is fine and as a result I know my threat and that I know I out-threat other raiders consistently who do a lot of damage... so if this particular Assassin can pull threat off me from time to time then his damage must be notable, right?

There's nothing wrong with the class. Geared and in the right hands it can dish out damage.

• 7 months later...
Wow, a lot of people can't play a Sith Assassin right...I roll a Madness spec and have no problem at all throwing out high DPS. Use MoX or SWMonitor. If you want to know who's lacking in DPS in your raids, I suggest you use one of those. SWMonitor is a lot better IMO. More information in the logs. If you know how to play a Madness Assassin well, you will definitely throw out a ridiculous amount of DPS. Edited by Renata_Roselli

Wow, a lot of people can't play a Sith Assassin right...I roll a Madness spec and have no problem at all throwing out high DPS. Use MoX or SWMonitor. If you want to know who's lacking in DPS in your raids, I suggest you use one of those. SWMonitor is a lot better IMO. More information in the logs. If you know how to play a Madness Assassin well, you will definitely throw out a ridiculous amount of DPS.

You necro'ed a thread from Feb...this will be my last post in it lmao...

Edited by Dierdrea

Why is the advanced class called Assassins again?

Because we are here to assassinate the strongest Jedis and the commanders of the Republic. Assassinating a Jedi can require a long fight,thats why we are not LOLBURST, we are made to stand toe to toe with heavy forces user and lightsaber masters. Being too aggressive will cause our death. Once the target is dead,we have to stay alive and go back home so we have to take hits and stay alive,we use light armor because we need agility. Also when you have to kill a jedi or a commander protected by one or more jedis, everything wont go well everytime.

We have a good offence but we need a good defense too if we want to achieve our duty and stay in one piece.

Thats why we are not LOLBURST and have the title of assassin

Class is good but not that good. Unless I'm wrong, but we cannot battle res, that's on Sorcerers. I'm also not sure taunting mobs off healers when we're in Lightning Charge is a good idea. We're just as squishy as the healers and if we pull that aggro off them it might take less time for the mob to kill us than the healer. You be better off to try to kill the mob instead, and that's harder to do with a Maul build when target is facing you.

We can battle res. Force cloak + res = battle res

I've done this many time as a deception assassin to the love of my raid group... for any bit we lack in sustained dps we make up for in burst/utility.