Mercenary. worst pvp class in the game

shammah

6 months no real buff and other classes like -sin and marauders get buffed. 6 Months of playing a pvp worthless class.

Stop making stupid post up, you offer no real information to the class or thread, its just a childish rant and there are many post like this.

Mains are Guardian and Marauder (not touching Rage/Focus since 1.2 - Vigilance hybrid and Carnage respectively for rateds), and Commando is pretty much my most-played alt right now.

I'm having metric sith-tons of fun in Assault (Pyro) spec, because... it's just too fun. 100% mobility, heavy damage spikes at max range, lol@ leg shot roots, tech/physical DoTs, explosive probes because of cleanse, excellent AoE spikes from safe distance, LoS-dancing factor, decent shake-off factor.

Definitely in my top 3 favorite classes to solo-queue with.

Edited by Helig

KInda yeah but i was thinking the way HK companion does it, that commando style roll to a friendly :)

An escape like that would be very handy. Great idea.

As per the OP. We are the worst PVP class and everyone knows it. Last night i was healing alongside a sage and who did they focus on? I took almost 3 times the damage he did, and it is not like he was kiting/escaping. Everyone just focusses us as we are easy kills, and easy to interrupt.

Edited by SkinzOCAU

Mains are Guardian and Marauder (not touching Rage/Focus since 1.2 - Vigilance hybrid and Carnage respectively for rateds), and Commando is pretty much my most-played alt right now.

I'm having metric sith-tons of fun in Assault (Pyro) spec, because... it's just too fun. 100% mobility, heavy damage spikes at max range, lol@ leg shot roots, tech/physical DoTs, explosive probes because of cleanse, excellent AoE spikes from safe distance, LoS-dancing factor, decent shake-off factor.

Definitely in my top 3 favorite classes to solo-queue with.

without railshot every 6 seconds your effective damage is trash.

pt's get to spam flame burst. mercs have power shot. if you're not trying to get your rail every 6 seconds you're the same as a pt that has flame burst removed from his bar, but with a weaker rail.

this 100% mobility is severely hurting your damage.

what assault has over arsenal is they can still do mediocre damage while a melee is on them.

Edited by cultivatedmass

I have a merc I'm doing good not great but good and I hardly use railshot. If I were to go strictly PVP I'd go juggernaut. Since I am not into PVP but PVE I enjoy playing my merc. After all isn't the point of TOR to have fun. Edited by fortsmithman

if you're not trying to get your rail every 6 seconds you're the same as a pt that has flame burst removed from his bar, but with a weaker rail.

I must disagree. I have stated this before, but the constant use of Power Shot in an attempt to proc Rail Shot is misguided. It is heat ineffcient. It is damage output inefficient given even minimal levels of opposition attention (i.e. stuns, interrupts, kockbacks, mezz, etc.). And worst of all, most of the time it actually DECREASES the rate at which you can use Rail Shot. Yes, DECREASES.

I presented the math in a different thread, but the crux of the matter is that even when you succeed in proc'ing Rail Shot with PS, all you have done is delay the point at which you can do a RS-Unload-RS combo which is the Merc Pyro's best move. You are better off from a damage output, heat and mobility standpoint if you just focus on RS-Unload-RS. Take Power Shot off your toolbar unless you do PvE.

Considering how crucial it is for mercs to be at maximum range (30 m) away from the target to get off a few good attacks before the distance is closed, shouldnt we have either an extra stun or another pushback, possibly even a jump-back for us to go back another 30 m. I hate having to spend extra money (good ones are pretty expensive, like 60,000 credits for 10) on seismic grenades so that I know I'm not dead when a guardian leaps at me. Or better yet, bring back the knockback on rocket punch.

Not to worry, assassins are garbage in 2.0

Both their DPS trees got hammered into the ground. That being said, tanks become more effective in 2.0 due to DR changes and assassins tank tree gets a little buff here and there, but they are still pretty poor.

If they see you and are beelining to you, you've already failed strategically.

Location Location Location. Hitting them on top off a cliff, jump up, i knock em down, they gotta suffer rains of missiles unless they walk up or wait for jump to finish charging. Either way, plenty of time to kill them. The smartest ones just run away.

If they see you and are beelining to you, you've already failed strategically.

Precisely.

without railshot every 6 seconds your effective damage is trash.

pt's get to spam flame burst. mercs have power shot. if you're not trying to get your rail every 6 seconds you're the same as a pt that has flame burst removed from his bar, but with a weaker rail.

this 100% mobility is severely hurting your damage.

what assault has over arsenal is they can still do mediocre damage while a melee is on them.

You're not a PT. You're Merc. Get over it. 100% mobility doesn't mean running like a headless chicken spamming basic attack when you have power shot openings. Do I get the same burst/spike as PT? No I don't. Do I live to do more damage? Almost always. Without a pocket healer and/or tank.

Effective damage is damage per kill. Setting up the spike and unloading when it counts and the fact that I get controlled and die a lot, *a lot* less than melee effectively brings me on par with lolsmash in damage done, kills and damage-to-kill ratio. Damage uptime is close to 100%, spikes are predictable and easy to set up/execute while being light on your feet.

Granted, Arsenal/Gunnery frontloaded damage is excellent, and setup is minimal. I do play this spec as well, for the sake of playstyle change. But it's too exposed, at times, no matter how well I position myself.

Edited by Helig

My fisrt class at launch was a merc I lvled to 50. I really loved it but I pvpd a lot and with the server deaths and no pve to do I hung it up and rolled a jugg which was what I knew as a class and playstyle from my wow warrior. It is a disappointing pvp class dipite the 1 or 2 people who insist its some how relavant which it isn't. I crush mercs all day long on my jugg so I feel your pain. When I heard about electro dart I thought that sounds great they are going to tear it up now, but then I learned the cd on it is waaaaay to long. This class doesn't even have a slow that I'm aware of. Unload doesn't cont because you can't move either. So we need a slow. And an ability similar to inquis sprint call it rocket boots, or lower the cool down on electro net. I don't want all classes to be the same but I feel balance should be a full time gig for developers and nvr understood why they pick favorites. At least it feels that way. I know juggs get way more love for sure.

• 2 weeks later...