Linux / Ubuntu / Wine

joenewbie

• 3 weeks later...

I personaly have not used it on Linux. I would like to and hopefully they will release it for linux eventually if the Steam launch goes well (I know they arent on steam but it might be a wake up call for minstream gaming on linux). I did some research and it will run but its not perfect here is a link to the winehq page for SWTOR http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13553

Please bioware release a Linux version. there are lots of linux gamers who really want a good mmo on linux if you want proof just take a look at the humble bundle: humblebundle.com I run windows just to play pc games.

Edited by computernerd

I've played games through wine before and results vary. There is also "Play on Linux" which I have not tried, and a paid service that does what is necessary to get the game working. What I don't know is do games run through Steam or separately, because iirc Steam and Wine go well together.

Try Ubuntu now. You can dual boot and set up Grub to, for example, load Windows automatically unless you choose otherwise at boot up. It's been a couple of years, but I got Warcrack to run on Wine with pretty decent graphics.

this one helped, make manual run of swtor.exe with dumped command line

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-9235.html

Game finally started.

I assume game and (or) wine have problems with default spaces in file name's path. Like c:\porgram Files

I had terrible sound over wireless headphones (it was like "trembling"), it was a bit better over embedded card and wires.

Fixed by globally disabling all sound devices except wireless, switching wireless into digital mode from analog and rising "HelBuflen" upto 512kb inside wine's registry (DirectSound key).

Now it is bad for 2-3 mins and later goes smooth enough.

I still suffer from long loadings, initial game start takes up-to 5 minutes.

Edited by alexzk
Update

• 1 month later...