Future Content...

Malckiah

Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5  

15,252 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5

yeah fine, sample pool, this is a fan sample pool of a non representative group, called SUBSCRIBERS.

Here I found a REAL poll done at the mmorpg.com forums where EVERYONE has a say, Unsubbers, Subbers, F2P, everyone. And what a surprise almost no one cares about "add more class story", what a surprise

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

370 votes, same sample size - almost 60% want a space sim, top answer followed by minigames and player housing

(other not listed, i.e. companions, class story, 16%)

here is another one

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384156/What-SWTOR-really-needs.html

That's still not a good sample. I'd be willing to bet that most players of this game and most potential players of this game never visit mmorpg.com.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah fine, sample pool, this is a fan sample pool of a non representative group, called SUBSCRIBERS.

Here I found a REAL poll done at the mmorpg.com forums where EVERYONE has a say, Unsubbers, Subbers, F2P, everyone. And what a surprise almost no one cares about "add more class story", what a surprise

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

370 votes, same sample size - almost 60% want a space sim, top answer followed by minigames and player housing

here is another one

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384156/What-SWTOR-really-needs.html

Both groups are self-selecting. Furthermore, mmorpg.com has a known bias towards sandbox MMOs which is not reflected in the greater market.

here is another one

You've pretty much won that argument. I totally agree though.

It seems that many of the people here on the forums who are still around, the majority seem to want more class story, simply because those who didn't like the class story left the game, which is why it went f2p and stuff ( the stuff you listed before)

Both groups are self-selecting. Furthermore, mmorpg.com has a known bias towards sandbox MMOs which is not reflected in the greater market.

Pretty much. Which violates a prime rule for polling methodology.

The other prime rule broken is selecting a polling group that is outside the interest aperture.

here is another one

LOL....

1. ok, first poll was over a year ago. A lot has changed since then both in this game and as far as other games on the market.

2. First poll is of horrible design, the options are very evilutionist in thought, not allowing the person to decide from real choices, but ones that are rather brainwashing in nature... I mean come on.....it doesn't say More class story it says, . "more interesting quests with variety in mission design"....that is already assuming to the poll taker that the quests were not interesting to begin with. This equals bad poll design.

3. Not to mention the reading material that swayed many of the votes to go along with it.

4. The second poll takes the cake as the worst poll ever......sure list some things that all seem to focus on one area of the game (in this case space content) and then only let the people choose from 3 answers that are also very evilutionist in thought....I mean wow....you have ALL or NONE....or I don't care.....ROFL!

The sad part is that you are trying to use these poor examples as a reason for something! Sorry try again.

Lets do a new poll: which do you want to be? A....a millionair. B..... A beggar. OR C.....you just don't care.

LOL.....LAWL....and ROFL

LOL.. dude... this is a poll asking subscribers what they would like in the way of new content for the game THEY ACTUALLY PLAY.

here is another one

Both polls represent an uncontrolled polling group (ie: you have no control or visibility over the polling group). As such, you cannot gain a statistical correlation to the actual playing customer base, much less representation of people who actually pay for the content to come in the future. The radical difference in results in fact demonstrate this. These two polls simply show that people who do not like and/or play SWTOR want EVE (or similar) free flight space play.

Look... your bias is clearly understood. We understand it. You don't need to go out and pick uncontrolled sample sets to validate your bias. Personally, I did not vote for class story as it's not that important to me.. yet I openly acknowledge that for the majority of polling subscribers... it IS important to them.

Edited by Andryah

That's still not a good sample. I'd be willing to bet that most players of this game and most potential players of this game never visit mmorpg.com.

Probably true - but it's more data that can be used.

The reality is, Bioware knows what the players want - there's an exit survey that I'm sure at least half of the 2 million subs who quit have filled out. They have the data...how they read it is anyone's guess. When players unsubbed and sighted "not worth monthly fee", Bioware assumed that meant the game should go F2P...not that they should work on making the game WORTH a monthly fee. They probably figured they could kill two birds with one stone with the GS Update - assuming both PvPers and players looking for Space content would be happy...whoever reads their data needs to also read the forums imo.

LOL....

1. ok, first poll was over a year ago. A lot has changed since then both in this game and as far as other games on the market.

2. First poll is of horrible design, the options are very evilutionist in thought, not allowing the person to decide from real choices, but ones that are rather brainwashing in nature... I mean come on.....it doesn't say More class story it says, . "more interesting quests with variety in mission design"....that is already assuming to the poll taker that the quests were not interesting to begin with. This equals bad poll design.

3. Not to mention the reading material that swayed many of the votes to go along with it.

4. The second poll takes the cake as the worst poll ever......sure list some things that all seem to focus on one area of the game (in this case space content) and then only let the people choose from 3 answers that are also very evilutionist in thought....I mean wow....you have ALL or NONE....or I don't care.....ROFL!

The sad part is that you are trying to use these poor examples as a reason for something! Sorry try again.

Lets do a new poll: which do you want to be? A....a millionair. B..... A beggar. OR C.....you just don't care.

LOL.....LAWL....and ROFL

Doesn't matter how old the polls are. The fact is this poll on this thread on this particular forum is simply an opinion poll. It will never lead to anything. The people who voted are only a small minority of the community. The majority of people who voted in this poll seemed to prefer more class story content, probably because they are hardcore KOTOR fans, or whatever other reason.

The majority of players who left probably didn't care about the story content, which is why you see a high vote in more class story content, because it seems the people still remaining enjoy story content.

I think its clear from this thread that what we want in a full fledged expansion that continues the class stories, adds a new class, adds minigames like swoop racing and pazaak, continuation of companion conversations and cool new planets aswell as operations. Thats exactly what an expansion is. ^^

Though i just noticed the important flashpoints are not listed in the poll. I'm sure we all want more of those aswell.

Now to see if Bioware/EA will do it...

Edited by Nemmar

LOL.. dude... this is a poll asking subscribers what they would like in the way of new content for the game THEY ACTUALLY PLAY.

And this poll only represents a MINORITY of subscribers. I bet if every single subscriber playing was forced to vote on this poll, the results would be much, much different. This is a user made poll, not an official poll. It is simply an opinion poll, and this poll will never lead to anything other than for the subscribers just to discuss the results.

yet I openly acknowledge that for the majority of polling subscribers... it IS important to them.

THank you captain obvious for telling us the poll results which we can clearly see on the first page?

>The people who are paying the play the game

>Non Representative group

I don't think I have a picture that can represent the amount of fail in your post.

And this poll only represents a MINORITY of subscribers. I bet if every single subscriber playing was forced to vote on this poll, the results would be much, much different. This is a user made poll, not an official poll. It is simply an opinion poll, and this poll will never lead to anything other than for the subscribers just to discuss the results.

THank you captain obvious for telling us the poll results which we can clearly see on the first page?

Polls can be representative of a population without being a majority of the population. The main issue with this poll would be that its self-selecting, not the size.

Probably true - but it's more data that can be used.

The reality is, Bioware knows what the players want - there's an exit survey that I'm sure at least half of the 2 million subs who quit have filled out. They have the data...how they read it is anyone's guess. When players unsubbed and sighted "not worth monthly fee", Bioware assumed that meant the game should go F2P...not that they should work on making the game WORTH a monthly fee. They probably figured they could kill two birds with one stone with the GS Update - assuming both PvPers and players looking for Space content would be happy...whoever reads their data needs to also read the forums imo.

Half? That's overly optimistic. Target number would be around 20%. Still, that's plenty to get at any over-arching issues.

This is a user made poll, not an official poll. It is simply an opinion poll, and this poll will never lead to anything other than for the subscribers just to discuss the results.

... Yeah, any more Captain Obvious moments yourself? The OP said as much, with "your top three... what you would like to see expanded".

At the end of the day, all polls are merely about opinion.

LOL.... I am starting to think that someone has 2 forum accounts.

Ok, if you wanted to do a poll to find out what the Asian people in New York prefer to eat on a daily basis would you ask...

1. The Asian people who live in New York?

2. The non Asian people who live in New York?

3. A combination of both Asian and non Asian people who live in NewYork?

4. Anyone Anywhere?

The obvious correct answer is #1.

Same rules and theory applies here.... It is not rocket science.

And as far as your comment, "This is a user made poll, not an official poll."...LOL....The poll is the same nomatter who issued it. If Bioware had issued the poll do you think everyone would have answered differently? Or are you referring to the mmorpg polls as official?....because that is just some guy at a totally different company making a poll that made little sense and reached out to a lot of people who probably never even played the game.

If a poll is unbiased and complete then it doesn't matter who makes it, the results are the same.

Its a multiple choice poll, which means people could choose to vote 1-5 things.

Class stories happened to be the most popular vote because the majority of people who voted happened to have selected class stories, along with up to 4 other possible votes, but it doesn't necessarily mean it was their first/most desired choice.

Half? That's overly optimistic. Target number would be around 20%. Still, that's plenty to get at any over-arching issues.

You're correct - I should have edited. I assume it is probably higher, closer to 25%, but I assume that based upon how many players quit within the 30 day window. 20-25% is probably quite accurate.

... Yeah, any more Captain Obvious moments yourself? The OP said as much, with "your top three... what you would like to see expanded".

At the end of the day, all polls are merely about opinion.

Sometimes you have to state the obvious because SOME people take things too seriously/literally :rolleyes:

LOL! Wow... that was... an ignorant reply. Sorry, couldn't think of another word for it.

So first, all polls are opinion polls. If empirical data could be gathered that did not require a user response absent their own biases there wouldn't be a need for a poll.

Second, in any poll sampling necessitates that your poll size is a "MINORITY" relative to the entire population. However as long as the sample is statistically significant, you can extrapolate what this means for the larger whole. In this case everyone that replied was a sub, and the size is statistically significant.

Polls are imperfect mainly because the tend to be subjective in execution and are only a snapshot of a particular moment in time. But your assertions only reveal your own biases.

Edited by Rafaman

LOL! Wow... that was... an ignorant reply.

Second, in any poll sampling necessitates that your poll size is a "MINORITY" relative to the entire population. However as long as the sample is statistically significant, you can extrapolate what this means for the larger whole. In this case everyone that replied was a sub, and the size is statically significant.

Insults...typical.

You're claiming that 369 people voting in a poll (less likely since we all know how easy it is to refresh your IP address and vote more than once) is "statistically significant"? LOL! No...it's miniscule.

Insults...typical.

You're claiming that 369 people voting in a poll (less likely since we all know how easy it is to refresh your IP address and vote more than once) is "statistically significant"? LOL! No...it's miniscule.

I wasn't trying to be insulting. Ignorance is not necessarily an insult. It just means simply you don't understand. And yes, this is a statistically significant sample. But, I won't teach you what that means here. Google it, you will see the math and methods.

Edit: BTW, just because a sample is statistically significant doesn't make it a good sample.

Edited by Rafaman

it would be quite nice if their was an option to only allow 1 or 2 votes for this poll. This information really is only significant in judging how individuals who frequent forums consider as important, not necessarily the games community. A proper sample size would have to be advertised to the greater community and not just the socially outgoing individuals that these forums tend to attract.

Still, this was rather interesting to see what these forums think are of high value for BW to contribute their development resources.

Well, regardless of the divisiveness of this particular poll, it has attracted attention and results, so hopefully Bioware can at least use that as a starting point and email out their own poll.

Which people will then proceed to complain about when the results don't include their favourite thing at the tippy-top. But at least it would be a wider sample size.

I wasn't trying to be insulting. Ignorance is not necessarily an insult. It just means simply you don't understand. And yes, this is a statistically significant sample. But, I won't teach you what that means here. Google it, you will see the math and methods.

Well I'm not gonna try to support your theory, my opinion is that the sample here is terribly small and statistically unreliable, not to mention extremely vulnerable to manipulation.