Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

I saw this on Google news and its got me REALLY interested!

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1333873/swtor_lead_dev_most_excited_by_incoming_space_features.html

For anyone who hasn't read it, basically SWTOR's "Lead Designer has told NowGamer that "the next iteration of space is the single thing" he's most excited about across all of SWTOR's incoming new features."

The article also mentions how 3D space combat came out on top on the poll Bioware gave a few weeks back out of a list of features we want in the future.

Could this mean 3D space combat is in the future for SWTOR?

Edited by Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already picture all the complaining when they decide to implement it

"Why are they taking so long to finish it?!"

"Why is it so difficult?!"

"Why is the difference between a well geared and a "normal" starfighter so huge?!"

"Why did they spend time creating this when they should have fixed bugs?!"

"Where's capital ship combat?!"

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways

2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

Edited by Zertheron

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

the more stuff included at game launch , the farther away game launch ...and they were already a couple of *YEARS* late by adding full voice over (lol : how many aliens just repeat the same 4 sound files at random ? what kind of voice over is that ? )

I still want to decorate my own starship , ala Everquest II decorating your own home.

But yeah , upgraded space combat would be cool too.

I dont know if you ever played galaxies,but they had a whole expansion based on space flight called jump to lightspeed that didnt come out till well after launch....I voted for bioware to do this and im glad they are eventually going to implement it.The space game as it is now,is horrible!

2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

I disagree. While it is a completely different game, I see that as an awesome thing. This is an MMO and the more variety it offers, the better. If 3D space combat is like Rogue Squadron, it will be so amazing. I will be engaging in that so much.

Games like Rogue Squadron are also very popular so I dont see why you think people will not be interested. Especially Star Wars fans.

God I hope this is true.

they have different design teams for differerent aspects of the game..i see it as a huge benifit,seeing as there is currently no pvp space combat,and it came out as #1 in thier poll so i guess alot of people are interested in this feature :D

Could this mean 3D space combat is in the future for SWTOR?

A 3D space combat/open space expansion is the only new ground (well ignoring SWG JTLS) I can see open for SWTOR. It would also help reduce some of SWTORs flaws (the linearity).

It would be amazing if they didn't realise the potential of it.

Edited by Goretzu

I disagree. While it is a completely different game, I see that as an awesome thing. This is an MMO and the more variety it offers, the better. If 3D space combat is like Rogue Squadron, it will be so amazing. I will be engaging in that so much.

Games like Rogue Squadron are also very popular so I dont see why you think people will not be interested. Especially Star Wars fans.

God I hope this is true.

The point is: you have limited resources. You can create 10 new flashpoints or 3D space combat. Not both.

Excellent stuff.

One of my favourite games ever was elite closely followed by X-WIng.

They so should implement this.

Some people might find it too difficult some poster said on the front page.. sucks to be them TBH.

I am more than happy to continue my subscription if it means I can play something like X-Wing again

Edited by corbanite

I'm glad they are trying to strengthen the parts of the game that seperate them from the competitioners instead of adding new raids etc. which tiny part of the playerbase see.

That's the thing.

Star Wars has so much, trying to out WoW WoW is pointless, they should play to the strenghts of the IP!

I dont know if you ever played galaxies,but they had a whole expansion based on space flight called jump to lightspeed that didnt come out till well after launch....I voted for bioware to do this and im glad they are eventually going to implement it.The space game as it is now,is horrible!

Yeah, I spent most of my swg time in space. The fact that JTL came as an expansion, and proved to be so popular is one of the reasons full space should have been in tor at launch. They should have had that foresight.

I would rather have the focus on space 3D exploration, rather than just combat alone.

Using your spaceship to explore space opens up a whole new world within Star Wars.

I totally agree with you, there's so much they could do with this.

In my opinion Bioware put in the space combat they have now just for something to do until they completed the real deal that they always intended for and if that is the reason then I back them up 100%. :D

Excellent stuff.

One of my favourite games ever was elite closely followed by X-WIng.

They so should implement this.

Some people might find it too difficult some poster said on the front page.. sucks to be them TBH.

I am more than happy to continue my subscription if it means I can play something like X-Wing again

Totally agree. Rogue Squadron 2 on the GC was probably my favorite Starwars game (after the dancing Han-Solo on kinect, that is true genius). This is an MMO, 3D space combat will eventually lead to space exploration, guild ships and integration between ground and space. Or at least that's the way i see it. Although i do agree with the resource issue. EVE do space combat best as that's their specialty, if SWtoR hope to do it they will have to put in a lot of time and money to get it polished to similar standards...If your going to do something, make sure you do it right

:csw_vadertie: 3D PEW PEW! :csw_xwing:

Any new feature requires resources. Just because a new feature requires resources does not mean it should not be considered.

Different then what? The current space combat is "a complete different game". In fact, I would go so far as to say that other then borrowing from the art style the current SPACE game has nothing to do with the current GROUND game. Other then Fleet Commendations, some xp and credits there is little reason to do the current space combat game. There is no multiplayer element to it. It might as well be a single player game played off-line.

That remains to be seen. The discussion over the space combat portion of the game and the pushing of said "3D space combat" on the beta forums was one of if not the hottest topics. There seems to be a huge interest in 3D space combat DONE RIGHT. Also, there is only a small number of players CURRENTLY interested in the space combat in game at present.

I should point out that a change in the current space combat game is ONLY SPECULATION. What statements have been made have not spelled out a clear path either way. Don't get overly excited whether you want this feature or not.

Edited by Gruug

The sad thing:

They were excited about space combat on rails - it failed.

They were excited about Ilum - it failed.

What can we expect?

Anyway, if they do space the right way* I'll resubscribe in an instant .

*i.e. the right way is the Jump to Lightspeed way with a huge chunk of Battlefront 2

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Took SOE 6 months to get Space Combat in Star Wars Galaxies.... At least Bioware gave us a mini space game to hold us over....

Took SOE 6 months to get Space Combat in Star Wars Galaxies.... At least Bioware gave us a mini space game to hold us over....

I'd have rather they did what SoE did, hold off on space altogether and then work on it ASAP.

SWG JTL was well underway long before SWG went Live.

With the best will in the world I can't see a big space change this year (unless they have been doing what I said, only for some reason being very quiet about it). :(

The sad thing:

They were excited about space combat on rails - it failed.

They were excited about Ilum - it failed.

What can we expect?

Had to comment on this.

Would it have done any good for them to come out and say "we are NOT excited" about either of those? The point of being in business is to be excited about what you are doing and hoping that your customers will share that excitement. It doesn't always happen but if a business ISN'T excited about what they are producing I would call that business uninspired.

Anyway, did not mean to derail the discussion.

Yeah, I spent most of my swg time in space. The fact that JTL came as an expansion, and proved to be so popular is one of the reasons full space should have been in tor at launch. They should have had that foresight.

It as not suppose to be an expansion, it was meant to be in the game from the beginning, they just didn't have time to finish it before the launch date...... Greedy SOE just took the opportunity to charge people for it....

1. It won't, they have a space team to do it.

2. The benefit is something else to do, and star wars mmos really should have space. I understand that some people may not see a benefit, though.

3. I think you underestimate people, and even if a small percentage were to play, you can't exclude content based on percentage of involvement. I could say that ops are only done by a small percentage, and should not be included.