Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

No complaining that it:

1. Looks like it's "bolted on" (much like the legacy system ( I am looking at you legacy levels 26-50)).
  2. Not retroactive (penalizes long term players, poor design).
  3. Nothing new (WoW and other games have rep grinds).
  4. Yet another thing that "won't have an effect" on your character ( vis a vie "choices have consequences").

Same old same old ... unless it's in the cash shop and shiny it's not scottish (or so we are lead to believe). :rolleyes:

I always find number 2 an odd critiscism.

If BW applied the Rep unlocks retrospectively, many players would simply automatically unlock everything based on previous gameplay....and have no extra content to play / grind through???

Surely that would penalize long term players more?

Can you imagine the outcry then?

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think Makeb is not going to get boring after a day?

On Makeb you will have real advancement, you know level up, FP, OPS, WZ, new usable (better) gear, not just empty shells, a story with more than just 8 quests wich will take more than 1 day to complete unless some freak spend 20 hours straight in the game.

Oh and Makeb will not disappear after 2 weeks like this event right now or the rakghoul on tatooine.

I always find number 2 an odd critiscism.

If BW applied the Rep unlocks retrospectively, many players would simply automatically unlock everything based on previous gameplay....and have no extra content to play / grind through???

Surely that would penalize long term players more?

Can you imagine the outcry then?

Driz

Imagine the outcry? I can actually given I've had experience with this on another MMO. You see, I was part of that fiasco when PW/Cryptic did this with Star Trek Online for 7th Season (by adding a grind reputation system much like this one). All the work that I (and many others) had done for the Elite STF missions were removed from my inventory and then the equivalent points for the new system given to me in a box that I wouldn't be able to open until I reached at least Tier 3 in the New Reputation System. Their forums went up in flames the likes of which you thought an H-Bomb of epic proportions had been dropped on PW's Home Office. Hell, they were trying to stop the disparaging remarks and flames from users (free & subscriber) by deleting the messages in question only to find themselves fighting a hydra in cutting off one head, three were popping up in it's place.

In the end, they took so much flack for this (and the half-dozen other issues that they created) that they couldn't back out of the system they created fast enough. But even then it ended up with significant player bleed-off (another reason why I'm here more than STO).

I can easily see the same thing happening here if this thread is any indication of what's to come.

Personally, I find myself dubious of the new reputation system. It seems like the sort of grind I don't want to do when I'm playing a game... Especially at end-game levels. Grinding when it doesn't feel like a grind is fun (like DCUO's reputation system that seems more like an afterthought than an actual reputation system)... When it feels like work -- as it is with STO -- well, I will vote with my money and go elsewhere. Not with a lot of drama, and even less in forum-related threats. I will simply disappear and delete any "we miss you" e-mails you might send me when I'm no longer playing.

Listen to that if you want EA...

What the Heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no solo reputation missions? Not everyone can group with people to do quests. I find it hard to group with others to do difficult quests. mainly because no one is interested in helping or grouping and it takes forever to get to someone on the other side of the planet. there is no group finder for these new reputation missions. Yes this is a mmo game but for those of us that like to quest quietly alone and use group finder for the multi player missions this just is pathetic. On Wow you can solo every reputation daily, or group. Here there is no choice. this needs to be rethought. and changed!!!! I was looking forward to doing the rep but now i have to wait for who knows how long to get into a group and do these reputation missions. seriously it makes me sick to have to wait for a group, Just what were you people thinking? I enjoy this game for the story etc and really am not interested in doing OPS every week as some do. (i did that for 7 years on Wow) and needed a break from it and this was my enjoyment. Now i can't do Reputation missions cause i have to find someone or two. to do it with, which could take awhile to get in a group. Come on Guys this is ridiculous!

I was really looking forward to the legacy rep. system until I saw how painfully limited the earning method is. (Doesn't help that they tacked it onto the exact content I didn't want to do in the first place.) I like other games' rep. systems better where every quest dealing with that faction gives out rep. as well as mobs. At least that way I actually got rep. I"m going to give it a big pass unless they revamp it to give solo players a way to earn rep as well. And hopefully by then they will let sub-50 characters participate too.