DPS Shadow stats confusion

KuroshimaiHD

Alright, I'm totally confused over which stats take priority for a dps shadow. I've heard will>power>surge, will>crit>surge, will>power>crit>surge, and it's frustrating trying to find a concrete answer. I'm level 46 right now, and I've been taking will>power>surge, is that correct? Should I continue doing that? I'm infil spec.

Also, I've been told that the dps shadow endgame gear is the stalker sets. They come with +accuracy, something I thought was of very low priority for a shadow. Am I supposed replace the +accuracy mods/enhancements with more suitable ones, or just keep the gear as it is? Or am I just being really dim?

Edited by KuroshimaiHD

Also, I've been told that the dps shadow endgame gear is the stalker sets. They come with +accuracy, something I thought was of very low priority for a shadow. Am I supposed replace the +accuracy mods/enhancements with more suitable ones, or just keep the gear as it is? Or am I just being really dim?

Accuracy should be at 100%. This is important because of your procs you need by using clairvoyant strike or double strike. Anything more isn't necessary unless you're rolling in a pvp premade as the "tank killer".

Stats should go will>crit(until deminishing returns)>surge>power. I have surge at 74% and am swapping out any new surge to power. Works out really nice in combat.

Accuracy should be at 100%. This is important because of your procs you need by using clairvoyant strike or double strike. Anything more isn't necessary unless you're rolling in a pvp premade as the "tank killer".

Stats should go will>crit(until deminishing returns)>surge>power. I have surge at 74% and am swapping out any new surge to power. Works out really nice in combat.

I guess I'll need to start swapping out my power mods for crit ones, then. Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

For PvE: Will > 100% accuracy > ~250 crit rating > ~250 surge > power.

You'll be switching mods in and out trying to get the best stat balance as you improve your gear. As you do so, you want to maximize your will and power without gimping your other stats. So what I do is try to find a combination that keeps my stats near the targets above, while letting me stack as much will and power as possible.

You want melee accuracy to be close to 100%, and no more. I feel it's ok to even be a little less, around 99%. This only affects Claivoyant Strike and Saber Strike. Everything else is a force attack and always hits. I'm currently running with 99% hit, and find that I pretty much never miss for an entire boss fight.

Get crit to between 250 and 300. More than that and the diminishing returns make it a waste of points. Same with Surge. And then stack as much power as possible. 250 is good as you gear up. In full Campaign I've got 300 crit and 300 surge. My power is about 550, and Will is about 1875 self-buffed. With stims it's close to 2k.

Edited by Darkoath

Not doubting anyone's replies to this post. The way I handled gearing my dps infil shadow is going all power in the very beginning for that all out punch combo. This makes you useful in pvp because you can 1v1 with your relic, adrenal, force potency etc. Now that my gear is looking a lil better ill be balancing out power for higher crit. Taking crit to 30-31% unbuffed. Aug's probably WP. That way when your dps cooldowns arent up or if you couldn't pressure/kill your target, your normal CS CS project rotation is going to spike more with 35-36% crit. Just my playstyle maybe. I try and play smart w/o popping cooldowns until I absolutely have to. Accuracy im not rly all concerned with. Earpiece and maybe 2 other pieces will leave me at 95+ish?

TL: DR 35-36% crit buffed, then power. For infiltration

Edited by Robpwnz

People make the mistake of prioritising stats. Don't, instead find reasonable levels.

Now we have four stats which effect our damage output.

Willpower

Critical Chance

Critical Multiplier (Surge)

Power

Two of which are effected by diminishing returns; Critical Chance and Surge

The levels of which these two stats start to see a significant diminishment is about;

Critical Hit - 30%

Surge - 75%

So ideally you want to make sure these two hit those values before you concentrate on other stats.

Once you have those two numbers, all you have to do, is stack as much willpower/power as you can, job's a gooden.!

Just to clarify how much Accuracy you need for PvE...

There's three "base" hit rates you're looking at:

Basic White Attacks - 90% (Saber Strike)

Special White Attacks - 100% (every other white attack)

Yellow Attacks - 100% (all yellow attacks)

In PvE, there is normally no accuracy debuff to worry about, but there is normally 8% avoidance on bosses - and in this game even applies if attacking from behind. So, adjust hit rates for that...

Basic White - 82% (need +18% to cap)

Special White - 92% (need +8% to cap)

Yellow - 100% (already capped)

So, a PvE player really needs 8% accuracy, and can get very minor returns up to 18% just on Saber Strike.

I play an infiltration shadow, and have found that the crit/surg vs Power discussion to be a matter of taste. However if you are around 33%/75% crit/surg you don't need any more diminishing return makes it so . I personally worry about Power more on my PvE gear and Crit/Surg on my PvP gear. Accuracy should be at about 103% but the teir gear you will get will have that already. Edited by Dreamsinger

I see everyone giving out percentages for crit/surge/accuracy. For some of these since its made up of several parts what would be more helpful is the actual rating to aim for.

Ratings:

Accuracy rating = 250ish

Surge rating = 260ish

Crit rating = 350ish

These are my guesses, once i reach those numbers i then pump WP and Power. What ratings do you all reccomend? Does it matter if its PVE or PVP or build?

For me I am doing PVE Balance spec(no project) for OPs. I been using simulationcraft to try and come up with some ratings to aim for, but simulationcraft hasn't been updated in a while so I am intrested in seeing what others reccommend.

I see everyone giving out percentages for crit/surge/accuracy. For some of these since its made up of several parts what would be more helpful is the actual rating to aim for.

Ratings:

Accuracy rating = 250ish

Surge rating = 260ish

Crit rating = 350ish

These are my guesses, once i reach those numbers i then pump WP and Power. What ratings do you all reccomend? Does it matter if its PVE or PVP or build?

For me I am doing PVE Balance spec(no project) for OPs. I been using simulationcraft to try and come up with some ratings to aim for, but simulationcraft hasn't been updated in a while so I am intrested in seeing what others reccommend.

I notice the armor rating where does it say this bit?

Hover mouse cursor. :)

For example if you hover mouse over critical chance a window pops up:

Critical chance : 39.56%

Base : 5.00%

Bonus : 34.56%

Strength(147) : +1.17%

Willpower(1920) : +12.18%

Critical Rating(385) : +13.20%

Skills/Buffs : +8.00%

The above is from my character. What you want to look at is the Critical Rating that is on diminshing returns. What I am trying to find out and hopefully those more knowledgable will be able to give insight too is what is the ideal critical rating to aim for.

Same for surge, acc, power etc.

Lucius

Edited by ICSWOR

Surge is the hardest hit stat for diminishing returns. I am not sure what the rating is but you want to get it so you get a 25% bonus from surge rating, and thats all you need for pve. For crit rating around 450 is good and you want to start stacking some power, though I am going to let my crit build up a little bit more to almost 500 I think, but that is once I have more stats from higher end gear so I am not losing out on too much power. Accuracy rating I don't remember right now, but make sure you max out your companion affections to gain bonuses to your stats since that will reduce how much accuracy you need once you have the melee tank one. I would suggest getting the melee dps and ranged dps first though for better bonuses. If you have hit the markers you need with crit, accuracy, and surge then everything else should go into willpower/power. Edited by WoruulKeei

Hover mouse cursor. :)

For example if you hover mouse over critical chance a window pops up:

Critical chance : 39.56%

Base : 5.00%

Bonus : 34.56%

Strength(147) : +1.17%

Willpower(1920) : +12.18%

Skills/Buffs : +8.00%

The above is from my character. What you want to look at is the Critical Rating that is on diminshing returns. What I am trying to find out and hopefully those more knowledgable will be able to give insight too is what is the ideal critical rating to aim for.

Same for surge, acc, power etc.

Lucius

Thanks and where should it show that the diminishing returns i assume it will say minus or %? lol :)

Crit continues to give health return up until it starts to gently flatten out in the 600-800 range.

It's unlikely anyone's gearset is in a range of having crit reaching up into significant DR unless they've been purposely stacking crit up to the moon for some strange reason.

Having crit in a range where they might be able to beneficially trade some of it for Power is realistic, though.

Crit continues to give health return up until it starts to gently flatten out in the 600-800 range.

It's unlikely anyone's gearset is in a range of having crit reaching up into significant DR unless they've been purposely stacking crit up to the moon for some strange reason.

Having crit in a range where they might be able to beneficially trade some of it for Power is realistic, though.

I stack a mix of power and crit i think my crit is about 25% in a Wz.

You can't see DR directly on the paper doll but you can see its affects.

For example :

Try this test, remove 100 crit and see what the percentage changes to, you will see a big drop. Next experiment add 100 crit you will see that the increase isnt as large i.e DR.

From my limited experimentation around 350-400 crit rating power becomes more viable on a point for point basis. That is the crossover you are looking for when does a particular rating now give less than another one.

Power/Willpower has no DR but it provides less benifet on a point for point basis to crit ONLY when crit rating is below a certain number, same for surge and acc. What would be nice to have is where are those break even points.

I've been batting this question around a bit in my head since I started playing again this week.

(I am ridiculously rusty, but that's another topic)

I've lost all my gearing notes, but I'm wondering if its possible to get Crit% to 32 (Unbuffed, untalented)** and still have Surge at the DR (75ish), Accuracy at 98ish, while still retaining at least an acceptable amount of Power/Willpower?

Being a full Madness (Balance) spec, I'm curious if a buffed/talented 40% crit** would be worthwhile given heavy use of Thrash and, more importantly, Self-heal on DOT crit. I'm not sure whether the trade-off will significantly impact DPS in the wrong direction, or whether it would significantly impact staying power in the right direction.

**Talent: +3% from Charge Mastery; Buff: +5% from Agent - thus 32%.

Yes you can. Below is my character.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/fcf0f2c2-2e7c-4dbf-b22b-d4d75c4991bc

As you can see I run 31.05% crit unbuffed, untalented**. Surge is 75% and Acc is 98% with 501 Power and 1817 WP(buffed) which equates to an additional 363 bonus damage.

What i am still trying to work on is do i sacrfice some crit or surge or acc for more power/wp?

I haven't augmented my weapon or chest piece yet, that would give me an additional 36 power/wp

**Talent and buff would increase this by 8% to 39.05%

Yes you can. Below is my character.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/fcf0f2c2-2e7c-4dbf-b22b-d4d75c4991bc

As you can see I run 31.05% crit unbuffed, untalented**. Surge is 75% and Acc is 98% with 501 Power and 1817 WP(buffed) which equates to an additional 363 bonus damage.

What i am still trying to work on is do i sacrfice some crit or surge or acc for more power/wp?

I haven't augmented my weapon or chest piece yet, that would give me an additional 36 power/wp

**Talent and buff would increase this by 8% to 39.05%

I am level 33 and unbuffed i am at 21% Crit

crit multiplier is at 57%

I run a hybrid spec incorporating all three to maximise DPS

I think it works out to 13/3/8 so far

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcr0kZhZf0c.1

There is my spec does anybody have any better suggestions for my level currently?. i want a mix of survivability with DPS