How should I be using my Flares?

hunterraaze

First, you need to be in a group with players that are putting out more or equal hate. It doesn't clear your hate, it reduces it a little, if there's nobody there with more hate built up than you (a healer or tank for instance) it means you're still going to be the main object of attention.

Knowing the situation you're talking about might help someone identify the problem and give you advice. I mean is it you're the healer and your group has a really horrible tank or you're spamming AOE in a crowded area or even you thought you could solo flashpoints by just firing off your flares a lot?

Post more details please

Edited by bahdasz

let the tank get aggro, then single hit THAT mob. don't AoE unless tank has situation under control. i'm talking about heroic stuff/flashpoints/Ops. regular pve should not matter. as soon as something runs for you, pop flare. you should NOT be pulling that much aggro.

If you are pulling aggro then it sounds like you have been with bad/inexperianced tanks. Ive run through many FPs and OPs and rarely pull anything, if I do it is usually during a boss fight and then I pop flares and the tank taunts or something and then the issue is fixed.

I use my flares if I pull aggro, once I got aggro I pop it. If everybody does their job correctly (including ourselves) we shouldn't be pulling aggro anyway. Just make sure you're not nuking something that the Tank only had a smash on. Always target the one that the Tank is slapping around unless he fails at doing his job and you need to get something off the healer.

Yeah, you've simply been playing with a tank that you either significantly outgear, or who's bad at his job.

You should of course be using your threat dump (especially early on when his first taunt is about to expire, after your initial burst), but a good tank should still be holding aggro, and if he's not he should put a guard on you to help reduce your threat even more.

• 2 weeks later...
I use my flares if I pull aggro, once I got aggro I pop it. If everybody does their job correctly (including ourselves) we shouldn't be pulling aggro anyway. Just make sure you're not nuking something that the Tank only had a smash on. Always target the one that the Tank is slapping around unless he fails at doing his job and you need to get something off the healer.

Well I'm glad some people realise this!

This really bugs me when I'm on my healer and I see some random DPS guys just taking their pick of targets exactly the same time as when the tank rushes in -- no waiting for CC, no waiting for build-up of aggro. And inevitably, the DPS pulls aggro and puts pressure on everyone else. Very frustrating.

But I suppose we'd get bored of an easy life, huh? :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. The ONLY times, in group situations, that the DPS should be attacking something other than the tank's primary target are:

1) It's a normal and you know you can burn it down in one or two attacks (5k health enemies in HM FPs that you can take out with a single Unload or a HSM crit);

2) The tank is (understandably) holding onto an elite and you and the other DPS are coordinating to pick off the other enemies one by one, as a team;

and 3) A mob is going for the healer and you see it before the tank does, and even then, you should probably only attack it until the tank regains aggro on him (unless he's almost dead by that point anyway, in which case - finish the job!)