Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So question...why does Whirlwind, Force Lift, Plasma Probe and Incendiary Grenade still have a 30 meter range, but Electrodart has a 10 meter range??? If they want to equalize it shouldn't all stuns be the same distance and time active?

I figured that be quite obvious. Electrodart is instant, where as the others have casting times. it basically comes down to...instant=10m or CastingTime=30m

Edited by WushuDragon_

Quick question to you poster.

When do you use Overload in PVE that requires you to scatter mobs in all directions rather than push them one way or the other. Because the only use of the all round overload is to scatter in PVE . This change allows you to be more tactical with your knockback and group mobs up for aoe etc... + knockbacks arn't a massive part of PVE compared to PVP so of course the changes should focus on PVP.

Nothing your 10s reduced Force speed cant handle to get away from things im sure..

This is why this type of thread before things are on PTS is a little annoying. no one really knows the impact until you see it.

This sounds pretty at first..except when you are surrounded by adds, throw overlap and see the adds behind you laughing at best. One try to run (using force run) to hide and heal myself (or my pet/teammate), but oh surprise the adds followed you and catched you up, and your mighty cone overlap is on CD!

And don't get me started about getting on 10 meter range just to throw electrocute, since we are at it, they can make it 4 mts and be in their face like melee classes.

EDIT: well, thinking it twice, your suggestion might have sense if I walked on a little so the cone affects all the adds, but I don't see myself doing that in a while. overlap was my "leave me alone" button all this time :( . I'm still mad for electrocute though.

Edited by metalfenix

Was hoping for some love for melee classes.

Just has a group unable to take down bonecrusher cause we just had too many melee types in the fight and his cleave and leap abilities just ment the healers couldn't keep up and to pull out range ment the fight went on too long and he enraged.

Talking of control there needs to be more options for melee classes to control a fight and either having to leave the fight oe just get hit.

Bonecrusher shouldn't require any particular mix of ranged vs melee DPS. Just keep him in the middle of the room (as best you can). Whomever has aggro stands still, while the rest of the group moves behind Bonecrusher (running thru him his quickest) to avoid swipes. Granted, the fight can get pretty frenetic because he swaps targets so often, but even when I am in KP on my ranged class, I still stack up with the group. It lets me benefit from AOE heals. And if I am on the edge, and Bonecrusher targets me, he is going to move away from the middle of the room (undesirable). You want him in the middle so he doesn't knock someone off the platform into the acid.

That said, the dev post was specifically mentioning only a portion of class balance issues. And it DID address some melee (Scrappers / Concealment Ops). But since we're still several weeks from 1.4 being released, there's plenty of time for BW to respond to feedback and make other changes. :) While I think it's good BW is communicating with us, and we are communicating back, all these Chicken Little (not yours, but others') posts ("OMG teh sky is falling!") are premature given we haven't seen the changes in action on the PTS yet. Hoping it will all be positive. :)

Edited by ArcaneXtasy

Force Cloak now has a 2 minute cooldown

as an assassin I cloak before I attack, taking down a mob doesn't take that long, but for argument sake, let's say it takes 30 sec

I am now going to have to wait 1½ minutes before I can attack the next mob

let's say I have to clear out 10 mobs in a mission, that mission will now take 15 minutes longer for me to complete

I play the game to have fun, not to sit around waiting

if this change is because of PvP then a simple if statement will fix that.. check if a player is flagged for PvP!

with this change, my assassin won't be fun for me to play

I like the changes, honestly. Considering this is an overview, not a complete patch notes list.

First up, in response to the people complaining about Mara/Sent and PT/Vanguard. Did you not notice that the whole overview was completely focused on mechanical changes? The more fine-tune info (i.e. damage nerfs/buffs and other tweaks) is coming later. Cool your jets until the full patch notes come out. >.>

Second, the resolve changes don't necessarily change a whole lot if you know when to use your CC breaker. If you get tagged with a 4 second stun, and then another 4 second stun .5 seconds into the first, you will get the .5 seconds added to your resolve (as far as I can understand). In essence, resolve functions more accurately to the actual stun duration. Really not a positive or negative, because we'll all be on both sides. Glad it didn't white out your target cause 3 people landed a stun at once; disappointed cause it didn't white out on yourself in a similar scenario. :p

On the same note, with the above in consideration, a large amount off CC is now only usable in the 10 meter range. People will have to get all up in your face to use CC that was originally usable at max range. The end result is likely to be less chaining, cause even groups coordinated on vent can't just whip the camera around while 30 meters away for a clutch CC. It's something we'll have to play with to see, but that's my guess. CC range nerf means less available for clutch chaining.

Overload nerf isn't too much a big deal. 120 degrees in front is a pretty wide zone. And if you're mouse turning (like you're supposed to *coughcough*) then you're used to kite CCing and the like. With a buff to Force Speed, it all evens out, in my opinion. (And speaking as a tank, who hates when anyone uses that blasted knockback in PvE... Why you PvEers all up in arms about it? ._. If your sorc/assassin is getting mauled by mobs that completely surround them, it's probably the tank's fault. )

Rocket Punch/Stockstrike root is a major buff as an escape mechanism. Doesn't add resolve, and possible an extra second or two (provided no damage to target) as a means of creating distance. d(^.^)b

Last one off the top of my head, the issue of roots and snares. They currently don't add resolve because most (if not all) can be dispelled by at least one of the healer classes. The problem is that all dispells are on a 5 second CD, effectively limiting who gets free to 1 person per available healing capable AC. I see several solutions, but none that don't create other problems.

Solution 1 would be something like a blanket nerf to root/snare duration or %age effectiveness. This would cut down on a lot of the 'chaining' problem, but would be a huge nerf to sniper/slinger survivability. Unless it was a targeted nerf, leaving sniper/slinger alone, and nerfing other roots/snares? Solution 2 would be buffing dispells by way of lowering or eliminating the CD. But that poses the problem of shutting out several skill trees completely with one spammable ability. Roots/snares could be made to add resolve, but that would be a nightmare for resolve balance, in my opinion. Example: Sniper trying to survive via Leg Shot and Cover Pulse, whites out target's resolve bar, gets squashed before being able to hard CC. :/

Anywho, that was just my thoughts. Looking forward to 1.4, BioWare!

Yeah you don't know what you're talking about.

I gave up the highest skill in my pyro merc tree so I could buy Rocket Punch. It's essential for kiting for a merc.

Did you read what you just typed? If you are kiting then a root will suffice for melee, the INTERRUPT will suffice for ranged. All I see on these boards today are f'ing crybabies that arent thinking before they type.

as an assassin I cloak before I attack, taking down a mob doesn't take that long, but for argument sake, let's say it takes 30 sec

let's say I have to clear out 10 mobs in a mission, that mission will now take 15 minutes longer for me to complete

if this change is because of PvP then a simple if statement will fix that.. check if a player is flagged for PvP!

I think you read the update wrong... Force Cloak is your mid combat vanish ability. Not your usual enter stealth ability that you always use when sneaking up on someone. It's actually a buff. :)

I think you read the update wrong... Force Cloak is your mid combat vanish ability. Not your usual enter stealth ability that you always use when sneaking up on someone. It's actually a buff. :)

Thats the problem right there. A lot of people arent reading all of the blog and/or arent understanding it.

just like when 1.2 hot and all the sorc healers said, its all good sicne we have another healer to keep us up while we consume...

playing to weaknesses is a byproduct of PvP changes that never took PvE into account. when you say we parse higher, I assume you mean threat and not dps (becuse PT take the cake on this one too), but never when tanking on my shadow was I unable to maintain threat without a proper gaurd on sosmone.

Every fight is going to vary, but the only fights i prefer shadows are on firebrand and jarg.... for everything else I prefer a PT or a knowledgable jugg... for healing.

and the fact that you think armor doesnt matter when talking about mitigating damage is lulz.

I mean DPS. Shadows/Assassins out DPS VG/PT in a raid environment. Parses prove this. I don't want to sound condescending, but if you lost aggro to a melee (who didn't have Guard) then you were doing something wrong. The Sentinels in my guild do very high DPS, and I don't always have Guard on them. I don't lose aggro.

I will address your last two points in tandem. Armor ONLY affects energy and kinetic mitgation. Let me repeat that for emphasis: armor ONLY affects energy and kinetic mitigation. When I'm DPS gear my armor goes down (I don't have all 61s) and that is reflected in my damage reduction. But my internal / elemental? It only goes down to the extent that I lose my 4pc set bonus. Which means... yes... armor doesn't mean ANYTHING when you are tanking Zorn or Stormcaller. Why? It's nothing but internal / elemental which is NOT influenced by armor AT ALL.

Do we understand this now? I hope so.

If you really want to see the difference, run Stormcaller & Firebrand on 16 HM with each tank doing Stormcaller once. You will see the MASSIVE difference in mitigation.

This is why it has to be on a fight-by-fight basis. But even when you mix the damage types, the sheer enormity of a Shadow/Assassin tanking stats (29% defense, 64% shield, 64% absorb) more than makes up for the loss in pure armour. Not to mention, by the way the whole game is designed, Shadows aren't being supplanted for internal/elemental tanks ANY time soon.

Edited by Mavery

totally agree with you there. was always nice to knock a enemies away from my sage when they run up behind me in a fight. don't really understand why this is necessary.

The question I have is why does this effect PVE?

I will tell you they still havent separated the skill trees into 2 catagories.

Why is it so hard to have to different trainers?

Just give everyone at level 50 all the points they need to spend on abilities.

3 trees for PVE pree 1.4

3 trees for pvp post 1.4

The only thing i see thats good for PVE is trooper/commando interupts. This should have been added long ago..

The problem with resolve is there is no DR. You shouldn't be stunned then stunned again right afterwards and both be full duration. Or if you allow this then using the trinket should at least give you 2 seconds of immunity (outside of huttball). The problem ppl are complaining about is dying while in stunlock. This makes it even worse.

Force Cloak currently has a three minute cooldown.

They're buffing you.

The problem with resolve is there is no DR. You shouldn't be stunned then stunned again right afterwards and both be full duration.

The funny thing is, that's how GW2 is doing it. Don't just go ripping on one game when people are fine with it in another.

Or if you allow this then using the trinket should at least give you 2 seconds of immunity (outside of huttball). The problem ppl are complaining about is dying while in stunlock. This makes it even worse.

Now... That's actually not a half bad suggestion. It'd be useless after getting whited out resolve, but as a preemptive device when predicting CC... I likey!

Quick question to you poster.

When do you use Overload in PVE that requires you to scatter mobs in all directions rather than push them one way or the other. Because the only use of the all round overload is to scatter in PVE . This change allows you to be more tactical with your knockback and group mobs up for aoe etc... + knockbacks arn't a massive part of PVE compared to PVP so of course the changes should focus on PVP.

Nothing your 10s reduced Force speed cant handle to get away from things im sure..

This is why this type of thread before things are on PTS is a little annoying. no one really knows the impact until you see it.

I use it everyday, with mobs not always in front of me.

Oh, wow, where to even begin?

First, to all of those of you PVE-focused people complaining PVP whiners are killing the game, kindly find me where you see any of these suggestions in the PVP forum.

Go ahead, I'll wait. We've been "whining" about two things:

1) PVP is a stunlock fest and the resolve do nothing, with the suggestion that resolve needs to be completely overhauled and most of the stuns removed ENTIRELY and replaced with something better and more fun.

2) TTK being to short and Marauder damage.

I'll put it bluntly -- some PVP players like these changes, some don't, but none of them are what we were asking for or "whining about". It's neat y'all want to blame someone, but you need to blame whoever decided these changes would be a net positive for PVP.

As for me? Done with PVP. In fact, I'm going to pay my sub a while but not even bother logging in, and when I come back I'll decide if it's still worth my money. Apparently, the developers -- who have access to all these threads and feedback about issues that actually piss PVP players off -- ignore them and go after things that adversely affect PVE.

No one asked for them.

No one whines about Overload and says it's OP, or that sorcs having a 30-ft electrocute is.

Lastly, catering to PUG's in PVP is akin to trying to herd cats. 90% don't even bother to understand what the skill names are (particularly hilarious was the guy throwing a fit thinking his basic stealth ability had been nerfed when they were talking about the IN-COMBAT one). They won't organize and coordinate...and these changes just made it even simpler for my OP to stunlock some guy in recruit to death, yay.

I think I'll go play a game with better PVP for a while. Like Anarchy Online, or perhaps Star Trek.

Hi. Please stop nerfing PVE in order to balance PVP. I like my Overload.

I know every MMORPG designer in the world is totally obsessed with making PVE more lame to please the .001% of your customers that actually care about PVP, but for the love of god, stop it.

No, no and no.

Bioware, you do understand that some of us DISLIKE the stun system? They way it normally works is someone stealths in and pops stun after stun on you, the republic side is notorious for this, especially against Juggs and other melee classes.

From what I'm reading you're just making things worse? No. Look short of removing stuns (I'll be honest I'd love that, since I reckon the system will be broken for a long time) could we decrease stuns instead of increasing them!

On the flip side, I don't intend to PvP forever, I'm just doing it with one character until Renown 90 or so and then that's it. From a PvE perspective this sounds all fine and dandy. But for PvP...this update is going to hit us hard, and bad. No biscuit for you today. :( This is why I never am for games that attempt to make PvE and PvP the same system...it annoys one side while attempting to please another

Edited by Imperius

1) PVP is a stunlock fest and the resolve do nothing, with the suggestion that resolve needs to be completely overhauled and most of the stuns removed ENTIRELY and replaced with something better and more fun.

2) TTK being to short and Marauder damage.

1) I'd wait to see how the CC range nerf turns out before quitting. I think it's a step in the right direction to reduce chaining. From there, we can further feedback to make the system better.

2) This was a mechanics and balance overview. Very general. The nit-picking, fine tune, detailed information on damage nerfs and the like is coming later. Again, I'd wait around before quitting, to see how things shape up, and for the actual patch notes. Not just a narrow preview.

Hi. Please stop nerfing PVE in order to balance PVP. I like my Overload.

I know every MMORPG designer in the world is totally obsessed with making PVE more lame to please the .001% of your customers that actually care about PVP, but for the love of god, stop it.

As much as I love this game and don't like to bash it....I agree with you.

LMAO r u kidding me?

1. Merc gets an interupt.... ranged DPS with heavy armor... w/o a backside anymore

2. No nerfs on Marauders??? that so lame they r so IMBA in both PvE and PvP

come on BW wake up!

EDIT: oh and one more thing... if ur gonna make all the classes the same then why dont u just remove classes all together???

Edited by TonyTheTiger