PvP class question

ElevenBfour

Hey guys, Been here since headstart, at lvl50 I have a Vanguard, Jugg, Shadow and PT. I've never gotten serious about PvP but I would like to start. Right now I'm thinking between a Sniper, Commando, Op(for heals) or a Mara.

Could anyone give me a rundown on how they are to pvp with? In my experience classes that are fun in PvE doesn't mean it will be fun in PvP also.

To be honest, I dont' know who is strong or not in PvP. I rarely read forums of any game because sometimes there is a lot of negativity. The main reason I like Commando's is for their looks, heavy armor and huge freakin' gun. I was leaning Mara because i've always like a 'Charge' like skill when playing pvp in WoW. The only reason I was thinking of one of the Agents is because I haven't done their story yet. Smuggler do not appeal to me at all.

you might be better off taking one of the toons you already have and starting them out on PvP.

all of those classes you listed as having are all in very good places right now.

it would also be a shame to start leveling a new toon, only for bioware to nerf the crap out of it in a few weeks.

Hey guys, Been here since headstart, at lvl50 I have a Vanguard, Jugg, Shadow and PT. I've never gotten serious about PvP but I would like to start. Right now I'm thinking between a Sniper, Commando, Op(for heals) or a Mara.

Could anyone give me a rundown on how they are to pvp with? In my experience classes that are fun in PvE doesn't mean it will be fun in PvP also.

All the classes you have are the totally fine for pvp as it stands now. Juggernaut in range tree, vanguard/powertech in assault/pyro, shadows have quite a few builds but better ask on a separate thread for advice or have a look as they will be definitely thread as such. On the new classes you mention operative healers are unkillable on the hands of an experienced good player but dps wise only exceptions excel. Snipers are pretty good and in my opinion well balanced. Maras are the fotm class for months now. Commandos is a no go for pvp. But this the current state of the classes and many things might change with 1.7. So the question is do you want to pvp sub 50 or 50 level? If you never prod before you will start at a gear disadvantage at 50 but with the recent changes it is very quick to gear up. So don't get disappointed in the beginning.

you might be better off taking one of the toons you already have and starting them out on PvP.

all of those classes you listed as having are all in very good places right now.

it would also be a shame to start leveling a new toon, only for bioware to nerf the crap out of it in a few weeks.

Yeah I thought about that too. I'd hate to level a class for pvp then in the end get nerfed like crazy. But, I'm wanting to level a new toon. Kind of tired of the ones I have. I haven't level'd a new alt in probably 4 months.

All the classes you have are the totally fine for pvp as it stands now. Juggernaut in range tree, vanguard/powertech in assault/pyro, shadows have quite a few builds but better ask on a separate thread for advice or have a look as they will be definitely thread as such. On the new classes you mention operative healers are unkillable on the hands of an experienced good player but dps wise only exceptions excel. Snipers are pretty good and in my opinion well balanced. Maras are the fotm class for months now. Commandos is a no go for pvp. But this the current state of the classes and many things might change with 1.7. So the question is do you want to pvp sub 50 or 50 level? If you never prod before you will start at a gear disadvantage at 50 but with the recent changes it is very quick to gear up. So don't get disappointed in the beginning.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm half tempted to level a Commando just because they suck now. By the time I get to 50 I could hope that it will change.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm half tempted to level a Commando just because they suck now. By the time I get to 50 I could hope that it will change.

You know what you really want to level? A class that hits like the Death Star, can win any 1v1, requires lots of skill, keeps your heartrate pumping, can heal, can kite, can even fight 1v2s, controls the entire map, can get with all the girls (or guys; don't want to be gender/heteronormative), solo-defends objectives against 3 attackers, and brings new meaning to the word "stunlock".

Who is that? The Scrapper.

A lot of people are under some misconception that the Scrapper, or in their eyes, "Crapper", is a terrible and gimped DPS class down there with Commandos. That is not true. Although we do suffer from a sustained damage problem (which you will notice in long fights) and a survivability deficit (which you will notice when 3 guys jump you, or you fight a Pyrotech), this class is overall an excellent one. If you have the skill to play the class, and the time to invest in getting decent gear (Recruit scrappers are unusually awful, even for recruits), you can be a major force on the battlefield.

Moreover, this is a class that is very unlikely to be nerfed in the near future, so it's a safe bet.

Commando dps sucks. But commando heals can be good and exciting. I heal on my commando, and get top heals in warzones 95% of the time. (Level 50 PvP)

You know what you really want to level? A class that hits like the Death Star, can win any 1v1, requires lots of skill, keeps your heartrate pumping, can heal, can kite, can even fight 1v2s, controls the entire map, can get with all the girls (or guys; don't want to be gender/heteronormative), solo-defends objectives against 3 attackers, and brings new meaning to the word "stunlock".

A lot of people are under some misconception that the Scrapper, or in their eyes, "Crapper", is a terrible and gimped DPS class down there with Commandos. That is not true. Although we do suffer from a sustained damage problem (which you will notice in long fights) and a survivability deficit (which you will notice when 3 guys jump you, or you fight a Pyrotech), this class is overall an excellent one. If you have the skill to play the class, and the time to invest in getting decent gear (Recruit scrappers are unusually awful, even for recruits), you can be a major force on the battlefield.

Moreover, this is a class that is very unlikely to be nerfed in the near future, so it's a safe bet.

Wow, sounds really fun. Well, looks like I'm going to be running back and forth between a commando and a Scapper. You made me really want to play one. What is the Empire equivalent to this? I know OP but what tree?

Wow, sounds really fun. Well, looks like I'm going to be running back and forth between a commando and a Scapper. You made me really want to play one. What is the Empire equivalent to this? I know OP but what tree?

Concealment is the Scrapper tree for Imperials. Glad to hear that you are inspired to play one. They really are quite fun, especially during the leveling process.

A few warnings just so you are prepared. From levels 10-36 you might be a little dismayed at your DPS and warzone performance. We just don't have a lot of oomph until we get our big opener at level 36. Even then, you still might feel a tad underpowered, at least until you hit 40 and gain access to the awesome Flechette Round/Acid Blade. Once you get that, from levels 40-49, you won't want to do anything BUT PvP.

Level 50 is a reality check until you get War Hero gear (moreso with this class than with others because our survivability is pretty poor), but once you do, you will be back up and dominating WZs again.

As a quick leveling tip to get up to 50 ASAP, try and grab Field Respec (200k Legacy Perk) and you can respec between DPS and healer whenever you need. As you level to 50, this will give you insta-pop queues as a healer to complete your daily, while still giving you the ability to play DPS as you PvP and level. Of course you don't have to, but it's always nice to be able to knock out your daily with a 20 second queue instead of a 10 minute one.

:o

My main was a 50 operative and now play a gunslinger. It by far and away is the most fun class I have played in both pve and pvp. Slinger/snipers have so many tools to be so good yet I find it funny so many suck at playing them.

I for one have gigglegasms each and every time I mess someone up at 30-35m. I also love huttball now as a gunslinger is so much more viable there than operatives. I lost count on how many people I have killed knocking back into fire/acid and snaring over fire pits. Marauders become your (rhymes with ditch) too which is always nice.

Edited by Tamanous

I don't know that I'd bother with a Scrapper, especially if you're new to PvP. There's definitely some good ones out there, but it would be one of the more demanding PvP classes in terms of finesse. Even still, scrapper scoundrels/concealment ops are sub-par until 36, and that's a whole lot of time to be lousy at PvP (if you plan to do it while leveling).

Then again, the commando isn't a much better choice. If you're picking between commando or scrapper... good luck. I would suggest going Sniper if you want ranged, or Mara if you want melee (from the choices you had in your original post). Maras/sentinels can do fairly good damage early on, get their defensive CDs spread out among the levels (so you feel like you're constantly improving with your skill choice), and the same for Snipers/Gunslingers.

If you're new to PvP, I'd definitely suggest one of those or a PT (but you already have one). PTs are extremely simple but effective (but I see you already have one, so you might want something new).

I for one have gigglegasms each and every time I mess someone up at 30-35m. I also love huttball now as a gunslinger is so much more viable there than operatives. I lost count on how many people I have killed knocking back into fire/acid and snaring over fire pits. Marauders become your (rhymes with ditch) too which is always nice.

That's a good thing to realize about Scrappers/Operatives. If you like Huttball and want to be awesome on that map (especially if BW eventually lets us choose our WZs), then Scrapper is not the route to go. That is a downright terrible map for us; Shadows do almost literally every single thing better than we do on that map including offense (Resilience, Force Speed, tank stance, kinetic ward), defense (guard and taunts), and general utility (knockbacks and force pull). I would still take a good Scrapper over a good Shadow any day of the week on Voidstar or Civil War, but Huttball is terrible.

As to finesse on the class, yes it requires skill and yes it requires some practice. But it is just so fun when you get it down. You really feel like you are in the fight, with you and your trusty fists/shotguns against those silly Sith and their lighstabers and those big bad powertechs and their armor.