The real reason Empire is more popular than Republic

MisterMT

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simply because they're perceived as "cooler". Not mentioning the fact that Darth Vader is the most popular character in the entire franchise.

not perceived.....

they ARE cooler in every single possible way

the reps are boring,monotone and most classes story are horrible and boring

best story goes to the agent.

not perceived.....

they ARE cooler in every single possible way

the reps are boring,monotone and most classes story are horrible and boring

best story goes to the agent.

wait IA's assemble and lead an army? Save royal families and diplomats, and uncover sleeper agents? Cause Jedi Consular Chapters 2 and 3 are white knuckle rides.

And Smuggler missions have hilarious dialogue, and quirky companions.

Edited by Likewater

wait IA's assemble and lead an army? Save royal families and diplomats, and uncover sleeper agents? Cause Jedi Consular Chapters 2 and 3 are white knuckle rides.

No they just uncover plots to undermine the sith, infiltrate terrorist cells, choose whether to let assets get away in order to better utilize their intelligence later and make decisions where thousands of lives are at stake. All in chapter 1. And that's the least exciting of their chapters. Once chapter 2 starts... well I won't go into it because spoilers, but its quite the story.

I personally am a Republic fan. I played a Knight as my main and he was a great ride. But nothing compares to the IA story.

To me the bad guys are almost always more interesting, and the good guys tend to be dull. Plus despite the incredibly impossible odds, the good guys always bs a way to win, which is lame. That is why I went sith, to make sure we win. :) Edited by LordTaral

When I played on Republic, there were many times an entire situation felt like a betrayal was coming. Saving people is all very well, but I still expected something to happen. Corrupt politicians is about the extent of what I got. Plus, for example, I don't see how my Jedi companion would just stand by and let me give some senator the means to further slavery in the Republic.

Playing as a Sith, everything seems much more rewarding. The beginning Warrior storyline is exactly what you'd expect. It's so much fun to do this:

My server seems to have equal numbers of Sith and Republic, so I guess I lucked out there. The ships and accents are much sexier on the Empire. The armor looks somewhat decent (I detest the Knight PvP gear (it looks like it would more appropriate on BH, but that's for another thread I guess)). The storyline choices often have amusing or satisfying results. I've always had much more fun destroying things than anything. It's more fun to swing a sledgehammer through a wall than to put a wall up, imo.

That all being said, playing full dark side often conflicts with my personal morals. Playing greyside is the best solution to this. Choose what you want to choose without worrying if you're going to lower your light/darkside score.

Edited by Pasaria

Nono, it's the clothes. We're fashionists. :p

Kira actually brings up a good point in the lower promenade: Nar Shadaa, its...

"All the sith look so stylish, its like all the fashion designers have gone to the dark side."

Hehe, love kira, i only stay republic because my guild is republic, the moment they bring legacy guild chat im going imp...

Kira actually brings up a good point in the lower promenade: Nar Shadaa, its...

"All the sith look so stylish, its like all the fashion designers have gone to the dark side."

Hehe, love kira, i only stay republic because my guild is republic, the moment they bring legacy guild chat im going imp...

By legacy guild chat i mean darkside version of republic guilds sharing the same chat panel as their republic counterparts.

Imperial Agent saves the entire galaxy from a shadow syndicate that's trying to eliminate both sides. So yeah, I believe that tops building an army or saving the odd diplomat/royal here and there. Just finished the IA Chapter 3, in fact. If you are an espionage fan AT ALL, then you owe it to yourself to play through it. James Bond? Check. Jack Bauer? Check. Jason Bourne? Check. Jim Phelps? Check. The story combines elements from all these franchises while still staying original and fitting well into the Star Wars universe.

Peter Graves' original version of Phelps, NOT John Voight. Ugh... Why did Tom [bLEEPING] Cruise have to go and mess up that franchise? /facepalm

Edited by Captain_Zone

• 1 year later...
Personally, I find the Empire to be highly unpleasant to play on the side of, but I do so in order to advance the Inquisitor story, which I personally find rather interesting. I've heard good things about Agent, but quite frankly, I don't want to do the Imperial-side questing again just for another set of class stories; far too much of it does not make me feel good or like I'm enjoying things.

I like to think of myself as a generally kind hear-ted person. I'm the guy who gives people jump starts when their car battery is dead. I'm the guy that help push someones broken down car if I see them having car trouble, I'm the guy that will go out of my way if it will relive someone elses stress levels.

I believe this to be the norm for most people on the planet.

So when it comes time to roll pay, guess what kind of person I'm not going to role play.

When I'm role playing, I'm gonna be that ******e who doesn't give a **** about the little guy, and will only help you if I am some how getting myself a leg up.

Role playing this is fun.

I'm the same way, generally. I've come up with some ruthless, cruel, and downright bloodhtirsty character concepts in my time. I can think of one character right now in another MMO. Everyone that meets her, hates her. and the feeling is definitely mutual. Hell, she killed her best friend in an arena in front of every RP'er on the server... and enjoyed it.

I have a hard time playing overly nice characters. Usually a strong independant lead is more my speed (usually female. always easier for me to write female characters for whatever reason. O.o) Of course, then it comes down to my favorite part of writing a character. Personal, fatal flaws.

I spent 5 years writing and adapting a character's story for this game, and loved every minute of it. I recently got her looking exactly how I had imagined her in my head all that time, and I swear I cried a little. It was an amazing moment.

If that sounds weird to you, You've never seen an idea you've carried in your head for half a decade come to life in front of you. It's truly an amazing feeling.

But back on topic. I play both, to be honest. Just whatever I feel like at the moment. Don't really find myself playing one side more than the other. But that's just me.

Here are my reasons:

1. The Empire side have more population and activity, its easier to find a guild and people to do fp/ops or pvp with (from my experience).

2. The Empire generally have better class and planetary stories, of course its fun being evil just to killing people or start you own world domination or something close to that, but being mixed or light alignment add dept into the story its show you the flaws of the Empire. For example i have alot of fun being light side Imperial Agent, who's very loyal to my faction but doesn't submit to the Sith's rules, disagree to have power hungry/mad sith rule over him, disagree with prejudice against alien, want to stop the infighting between the sith. While on the Republic the story just feels lacklusters, its plain and too simplistic for me. I personally think the writers try too hard to make it feels heroic while completly ignore the players alignment, and action even they choose the dark side option nonetheless you are the hero, but I still like trooper story alot and a few planetary story on the republic side are better than the Empire.

3. The British accents

That it for now :p

Edited by shamfurdispray

I like to think of myself as a generally kind hear-ted person. I'm the guy who gives people jump starts when their car battery is dead. I'm the guy that help push someones broken down car if I see them having car trouble, I'm the guy that will go out of my way if it will relive someone elses stress levels.

I believe this to be the norm for most people on the planet.

So when it comes time to roll pay, guess what kind of person I'm not going to role play.

When I'm role playing, I'm gonna be that ******e who doesn't give a **** about the little guy, and will only help you if I am some how getting myself a leg up.

Role playing this is fun.

I'm the same way, generally. I've come up with some ruthless, cruel, and downright bloodhtirsty character concepts in my time. I can think of one character right now in another MMO. Everyone that meets her, hates her. and the feeling is definitely mutual. Hell, she killed her best friend in an arena in front of every RP'er on the server... and enjoyed it.

When I'm playing pen & paper role-play, then I can only play, what I have in me, too.

That's why I can't play evil characters. I just can't. And I really don't know, why.

2. The Empire generally have better class and planetary stories,

[...]

While on the Republic the story just feels lacklusters, its plain and too simplistic for me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

1.The Republic is not exciting.

2.Jedi/Light Side of the Force are boring.

3.The animations are bad.

4.The american accents are bad.

5.The Voice Actors are not awesome(except Jennifer Hale ofc,but who the hell plays female trooper anyway)

6.When i log with one of my republic characters i wanna kill myself after 1 quest.Can't stand the atmosphere ,the ambient and the self-righteousness.

7.The male jedi knight and the male trooper are bearable but still the republic atmosphere is cheese incarnate.

8.The Republic warzone commentators make my ears bleed.

9.The Republic player ships suck.

10.Male Jedi Consular voice makes me fall to the dark side in real life.

11.I can't stand the male smuggler

12.The Republic armor models are terrible compared to the Imperial ones.It's not the developer's fault,its just the nature of the Republic.

13.The Jedi Code is useless unless you are a hermit that meditates all day in a cave.

At Makeb,after we found out that the Republic at that time had the upper hand in the war,the Empire became even more attractive.

Unfortunately a bit more profane version of the above mentioned reasons why the Republic sucks ,is why the Empire is kinda infested with kids and noobs,which is felt in pug wzs.

Edited by Kaedusz

I'm a diehard Republic player and RP'er. I tried making a few Imperial characters, but none of the classes, storylines, and environments stuck with me. The Imperial faction lacks substance and depth; just boring to me, IMO. The Republic side has an outwardly staid, modest appearance, but that's the main reason why I like the Pubs so much: the Republic is full of diverse but "normal" people doing extraordinary things, uniting more often than splitting apart like Sith do. I love slice-of-life RP, Star Wars style. While the Imperial faction enforces conformity and submission and dominance, the Republic (at least theoretically, as there are exceptions) isn't xenophobic and generally encourages diverse thinking, cooperation, and (dare I say it) altruism.

I'm only speaking from an RP point of view, though. The Empire is generally much better at playing the game than we are, at least on Ebon Hawk, but I'm fine with that if it means I can enjoy my RP. :p

In the Empire you are an either an evil bastard, always fun, or a good guy/gal in an organization that evil as most would define it. Both stories are incredibly compelling, much more so than the Republic, not that I'm not saying the Republic isn't enjoyable, far from it, but the Empire got more fun stuff built in.