Reusable Grenades worth it?

Noobishlord

I'm trying to decide between Biochem (reusable packs,) and Cybertech for my soon to be Powertech Bounty Hunter. I have a horrible time of deciding trade skills. I was even considering Armstech and Armortech for a while too. It's chaotic.

Anyhoo, I generally roam about on my own in PvE, though occasionally I'll take part in a Flashpoint or some Warzones (no matter how badly I get my arse handed to me, I enjoy them,) so I'm wondering if the reusable grenades would really be worth it, even if Cybertech would fit the theme of a tech-crazy Bounty Hunter with a lot of gadgets. I know Cybertech provides other things, like Mods and Armorings, but as a general rule of thumb, being able to create your own consumables is much cheaper in the long run and much more effective than making your own equipment and upgrades.

they are good utility, but have a 3 minute cooldown.

The root and snare grenades are quite useful for the reusables.

I think what most people would recommend, however, is going Biochem and then just buying/having an alt craft you some low lvl stun grenades to use.

Having full time stims, and a extra AoE stun even 3 mins seems to work pretty well for my alts.

So, the two best methods are:

Biochem. Full time stims/use the lvl 20-30 stun grenades crafted by an alt.

Cybertech. 3 minute reusable utility grenades (snare/roots)/ use crafted stims.

If you can afford the high lvl crafted 2 hour stims, you are better off going Cyber for the utility grenades you cant otherwise get, but if this is your first 50, you are probably better off going Bio for the full time reuseable stims, and just buying the low lvl stun grenades for use every 3 mins.

For PVE, go Bio. If you are serious about PVP, grenades are more economical. Either way, it's mostly an economic choice and not a player serious perk choice, so I would go with what you enjoy and find the most fun.

The damage and CC options of the grenades are negiglible in PVE, while the Biochem re-useables are great.

In PVP, the CC grenades are great and can save a lot of money in the long run. Also, you generally will use Exotech Stims (for the maximum stat boost) and Warzone Medpacs / Adrenals instead of reuseable ones.

Edited by DarthBuckets

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to decide between Biochem (reusable packs,) and Cybertech for my soon to be Powertech Bounty Hunter. I have a horrible time of deciding trade skills. I was even considering Armstech and Armortech for a while too. It's chaotic.

Anyhoo, I generally roam about on my own in PvE, though occasionally I'll take part in a Flashpoint or some Warzones (no matter how badly I get my arse handed to me, I enjoy them,) so I'm wondering if the reusable grenades would really be worth it, even if Cybertech would fit the theme of a tech-crazy Bounty Hunter with a lot of gadgets. I know Cybertech provides other things, like Mods and Armorings, but as a general rule of thumb, being able to create your own consumables is much cheaper in the long run and much more effective than making your own equipment and upgrades.

For a powertech, I'd highly recommend Biochem. If you're going the tanking route, the commendation/daily mods are biased towards tanking as it is, and you'll possess nice tech elemental damage anyway. It's expensive unless you have an alt who can provide the credits to get the materials via mission skills or GTN. Some of the laster blue stims can take at least 20 minutes to craft, and I've found RE'ing a stack of ten gives the best shot at getting the reusable version, but others can chime in if that is incorrect.

• 1 month later...

Wow. You have the exact same problem I had. I opted for boichem because it makes useful items for fights. I always have high tech stims and adrenals and home made implants, so I like that a lot cause it saves me money on those.

But cybertech is is a really good class for those of us that like to be prepared for anything. I have different sets of armor all the time on me for different purposes. If i keep getting killed in pvp, i throw on my armor with more absorb and defensive enhancements, while if there are a few stronger enemies, more criticals and power hit enhancements. But it costs me a lot to get those mods, and obviously i could just build them with cybertech.

I make my own grenades and sell them on the GTN and they always sell. I hardly ever give them to my alts, except maybe my GS and that's still rare.

On my Shadow I make stims, health packs, implants (low level) and adrenals and send those to all my toons. So far they are more useful than grenades and I can sell them on the GTN and they sell. Don't get me wrong tho...using a grenade in pvp is awesome for getting snipers/slingers out of cover and then jumping to them and causing mayhem. But that's why I use them on my mara and not my shadow lol.

Also keep in mind that if you have alts, you can send them *ear pieces*, *speeder bikes*, droid armor, ship armor and mods and armorings to keep them geared well. So you can't go wrong with either. Like someone mentioned, use BioChem on your main and Cybertech on an alt.

For PVE, go Bio. If you are serious about PVP, grenades are more economical. Either way, it's mostly an economic choice and not a player serious perk choice, so I would go with what you enjoy and find the most fun.

The damage and CC options of the grenades are negiglible in PVE, while the Biochem re-useables are great.

In PVP, the CC grenades are great and can save a lot of money in the long run. Also, you generally will use Exotech Stims (for the maximum stat boost) and Warzone Medpacs / Adrenals instead of reuseable ones.

My bio-stims work in pvp, but not the heals. I still have to buy them and the enhancements. Still better to go that way?

.....and OP, anything that stuns an opponent added to your arsenal is well worth it.

Also keep in mind that if you have alts, you can send them *ear pieces*, *speeder bikes*, droid armor, ship armor and mods and armorings to keep them geared well. So you can't go wrong with either. Like someone mentioned, use BioChem on your main and Cybertech on an alt.

Exactly what I use my CT for, alt gearing. Takes time and frustration to turn the patterns, but once done its well worth it there.

• 5 weeks later...

i have all the skills across all my alts, but if i had to start over, my first character would be cyber. stims are cool, but cheap on the gtn while levelling anyway (50 stims are a bit expensive). medpacks are everywhere for pve, and pvp medpacks cannot be made.

However, with cyber, you can keep your mods and armoring current as you level, which is invaluable for both pve and pvp. The grenades is an added perk while levelling pvp/pve, as you do not have too many cc's early in the levelling process. Plus you can make ship parts if thats your thing. oh, and you can keep your companions up-to-date with armoring/mods as well.

Low level armor/mods blue/purple can make you much more cash than low-level bio pieces. and then at 50 you have the money maker of RE for stabilizers. If this is your first character, this one can then outfit any alts you decide to make with mods/armoring.

Edited by mulzii

I haven't even touched biochem I am a gunslinger with cybertech my three reusable grenades even as an all spa class really seem to help to throw on another 2k/12sec burn damage really can do some damage especially if your not all the way geared quite yet any stuns an snares for you guys should be really useful I think right ? I haven't played a a bounty hunter past level 5 but you guys don't have very many stuns and snares or am I wrong ?:D