Writer's Rant Thread

irishfino

Why is it so difficult to plan out a story! I keep writing outline after outline about a story I so severly want to write ,but I love EVERY idea that pops into my head! How am I supposed to do everything into a single package. It is so difficult to do all of them. But, I will find a solution.... Even if it takes me all night *Maniacal Laugh*..

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are too many original characters in this stupid story!

Oh girl, preach it!! I am in the same boat....I have, count them 13...13!!!!! Original characters spread across part1 and 2 of Force of Wills PLUS companions, although I have omitted a great many companions, the amount of characters in my story, is too damn high!! but somehow, they all need to be there...all of them, all 13 of them. I have a problem.

I seem to be mostly alone in that I like the title of my story. I like it very much. However, I just wish I could work up the courage to post things on WTTB that, you know, AREN'T already in the short fic thread? But my self confidence is a wreck and I'm convinced no one will read them.

Why can't I make character who LIKE being evil? Its so much fun to be evil! Just ask the Sith Inquisitor Storyline.

But no, all of my BAD*** characters have to be angst ridden sob story souls...

I think I WILL write some 'evil for the sake of being evil' soon. For...something. Not sure what yet, but I WANT TO! I WANT TO BE EVIL!!!!

((Oh Vesaniae... I gave up counting my original characters after 50...Too much work. And A LOT of time invested.))

Edited by kalenath

I started Quick Quinn Quotes as a short, easy to read blurb that was funny and stupid and funny. Well, the weekly prompt Changes has brought about... some changes... Suddenly, there's a back story and it's long! Longer than I had intended. Meanwhile, Ninety Seven Percent is falling off the front page for the first time in like... ever and I can't for the life of me write anything but Quinn and Barnabus bickering back and forth with one another. It seems the fact that I have come up with an ending I like, my brain thinks the story is resolved. Well, it's not. You punk arse brain. Give my back my idea juice!

GAAH!

Being ill makes writing hard. Try to take a week off from writing? Feel stifled. Force some writing out despite not feeling it? Panic attack.

Follow the Quinn dissection? Decide to never play that female SW ever. Then get depressed.

Oh wait, you started that way.

Side note. Passed? Past?

We need to get past this.

We need to get passed this...?

Words. ugh. I honestly don't know which one is right.

Being ill makes writing hard. Try to take a week off from writing? Feel stifled. Force some writing out despite not feeling it? Panic attack.

Follow the Quinn dissection? Decide to never play that female SW ever. Then get depressed.

Oh wait, you started that way.

Side note. Passed? Past?

We need to get past this.

We need to get passed this...?

Words. ugh. I honestly don't know which one is right.

It's past. :)

I seem to be mostly alone in that I like the title of my story. I like it very much. However, I just wish I could work up the courage to post things on WTTB that, you know, AREN'T already in the short fic thread? But my self confidence is a wreck and I'm convinced no one will read them.

I'll read them.:) I love your stories!:)

Edited by SveinEternity

Why does writing have to be so addicting? All I want to do right now is work on the next chapter of Afterimages, but I have to do work for my 9:30 class tomorrow... :mad: Dropping out of college to be a full-time fanfic writer is a seriously appealing, if monumentally idiotic, idea. :rolleyes: To make matters worse, the computer I have at school can't run TOR so I'm in full withdrawal. aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh. Writing is like a drug to me, I just want to write all day and never do anything else. Stupid classes. :(

I still don't have a clue what will be the main plot of Afterimages: Sunset (arc 3). Only a few more chapters to go and I don't know! ARGH! Fortunately I have several interludes planned, so I can buy myself more time. :confused:

I'm trying to write the next bit of Running in the Family and it is just...not working. At all. I guess a lot of it has to do with stress in my personal life, and that I'm not feeling very well lately due to really, really terrible allergies...but I have got to find a way to get through this block.

Also, after I write chapter 3 I have no clue what happens, hahahaha my life.

Dear Imagination,

@$#% you.

Yes, you heard me. &$%@ you.

You abandon me when I sit down to write. You lead me in the wrong direction, assuring me that things sound really good, which I then read later and realize to be crap. You give me giggles in the middle of the night, but then steadfastly refuse to tell me what we were giggling about in the light of day. And, you horrible horrible attribute*, you never let me think of the right word just when I want it!

*That was a prime example. What do you call imagination? An attribute? A facet? A trait? Maybe an intellectual zone? See? You even abandon me now, when I want a simple adjective to describe what an imagination is.

So get on board with the program, or I'll pretend I'm married to Quinn (which would be awkward, since I'm a straight male in a state that doesn't allow gay marriage) and drink you into oblivion!

HEAR ME, YOU BASTARD!?!?

Love, Adwynyth (the player, not the stylish Sith)

So get on board with the program, or I'll pretend I'm married to Quinn (which would be awkward, since I'm a straight male in a state that doesn't allow gay marriage) and drink you into oblivion!

This, while not a solution to anything, is a hilarious coping mechanism.

I was going to object to the claim elsewhere that Quinn turns every Wrath into an alcoholic, then mentally reviewed my personal portfolio and realized it's true.

Why can't I make character who LIKE being evil? Its so much fun to be evil! Just ask the Sith Inquisitor Storyline.

But no, all of my BAD*** characters have to be angst ridden sob story souls...

Argh, tell me about it. Story!A'tro is nothing like the unstoppable ruthless ****** that Game!A'tro is. She's supposed to be Lawful Evil, dammit! :mad: And Nox has plenty of angst in her past that gives her an excuse for being the way she is. She also defies any attempt of mine to give her an alignment. I guess that shows that she's a well-developed character? :confused:

*sigh* I guess it's kind of my own fault. I don't believe in characters who are evil purely for the sake of being evil. There have to be reasons, damn it!

Quinn turns every Wrath into an alcoholic

Ahem. I'm not an alcoholic.

That's...actually true. I will however point out that compared to all the other Wraths I've read, you are the most similar to Quinn in personality/goals/temperament.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

*headdesk* You're hopeless.

*sigh* I guess it's kind of my own fault. I don't believe in characters who are evil purely for the sake of being evil. There have to be reasons, damn it!

NO!!!!!

NO! I REFUSE to accept that. I WILL write someone who is evil simply because it is fun to be. I have no idea who, mind you.

Me

What? Who was that?

Do you REALLY want to know?

Ah... Yes. Sort of...

Okay, I am the part of your psyche that LIVES to hurt other people.

What? I don't HAVE a part of my... Oh no... No... Don't tell me...

I am Will Kalenath's TRUE self. Not the whiny, self absorbed weak and puley man, but the TRUE man. The one who can nuke a spaceport filled with civilian and ENJOY it. Hehehe, I am going to have some fun now...

Oh dear... what have I done?

Oh shut up! You wanted me, I am here. And now, I get to slaughter, maim and basically cause as much havoc as I can while the story continues.... You creep! Only one more fanfic? I DEMAN-

CAN IT! ONE more story and that is ALL.

Wanna bet?

I said 'CAN IT!'

No! I am going to have fun, even if it IS at YOUR expense.

Listen you...

You wrote me to be an unstoppable, human sized killing machine. Do you really want to continue that sentence?

Ah... Look, we can...

Shut. Up. And. Finish. The. Fanfic.

*sigh* What have I done?

Edited by kalenath

Arc 2 is done and I still don't know what the main plot of Arc 3 will be. :mad: I feel like the solution is obvious, I just can't quite figure out what it is. I've already rejected one idea because it sucked. Arc 1 and Arc 2 were good! They were really good! At least, I thought they were good. :rolleyes:

The point is, that's a hard act to follow. This is going to conclude "Afterimages", at least until I do the sequel, and I want it to finish strong. I need something good to carry the readers through to the finale in a blaze of glory and general awesomeness.

I worry that I might be overthinking this, that I'm trying too hard for greatness when I really just need to write what feels right. Maybe I'll try that, see how that works.

Dear Flames of Old:

Why is that no matter how many times I read you over, there's always MORE I could add to you, more ways I can keep other people's characters in character.... MORE, MORE, MORE! WHY?!!!!! That's it, I aint reading you for another 9 years!!!! *falls over and faints*

Sincerely,

vadess40

Everytime I think to rant in here I erase what I typed.

I will wish instead:

I wish I could come up with more original characters that don't need an established character to riff off of to become lifelike. I have 1.5 OC's (Sorry Ninka you are barely a half character and that's combined with Vero, Zyel, Koa, and Nosc)

I wish my humor was more consistent or more something... not sure what but it's really hit and mostly miss.

I wish my ideas were more consistent. Sometimes my head feels empty for long stretches. It's not writers block unless that's what writers block is. I can think of things to write so I don't think it's writers block the ideas just don't feel the same.

I wish I had more words than pictures, I can't describe what I see in my head because I forget words, I have a thesaurus but I can't even figure out a similar word to look up the right word.

I tend to draw when I'm stuck at writing then as I draw I think of things to write. This has gotten to the point where I jump madly back and forth between 3 or 4 pictures and 3 open word documents. Then I wonder why my writing is inconsistent and my drawings are rushed :rolleyes:.

So I wish I had more focus on writing when I have time and I feel like it:)

Not writing related but I wish I could draw faster so it could match my writing speed. 1 page in 2 days for a 1k word prologue = 14 days. Math-Capable-Self warned me but Artist-Wannabe-Self ignored her :eek: Sometimes I wish someone would just write stuff for me because I suck at writing and I'm more inspired by what other people write (Earthmama, bright_ephemera, iamthehoyden, Vesaniae, EVERYONE HERE :mad: at you) but dangit I want my story! and and if I found a writer half the time I'd go uhh ya I can't draw that are you crazy? then they'd be mad at me. :(

I deleted the above twice then rewrote then deleted then rewrote then thought I closed the browser but I closed the wrong one so

I wish I were more confident in what I post.

Rant done get to your day job Kabe.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh what have I done?! :eek: Too many stories going at once! Brain...shutting...down...nnngggh...

Hmm, looks like Vesaniae's gone catatonic. How very unfortunate.

Indeed. And here I was so hoping that she would quit going off on these tangents and focus on "Afterimages".

You just say that because you're the main character.

You have your own spinoff now. Stop complaining.

A spinoff with one chapter. Big deal.

Vesaniae can only write one thing at a time, you know.

I'm well aware of that. It seems that she must choose between you and me, A'tro.

That's hardly a contest. I'll win easily.

Don't be so sure. Vesaniae loves the adulation of the readers, and the readers love me.

"Afterimages" is Vesaniae's crowning achievement, the epitome of her writing thus far. I hardly think she'll abandon it now, on the cusp of glory, just to natter on about you flirting outrageously with anything vaguely male that moves.

What do you mean, "anything that moves"? I have standards!

Let's take a look at the men you've interacted with in the story thus far. You've flirted with Quinn, are implied to have slept with Pierce, and you give off extreme vibes of sexual tension whenever you and Ravage are within forty feet of each other. Point proven.

I interacted with Necrosion, and I didn't flirt with him!

You burned half his face off. Some men like that sort of thing. *coughravagecoughkabeoneisageniuscough*

My goodness, I think you're coming down with something.

Yes, I'm withering away from neglect.

I thought Quinn was very attenti--

I mean from our writer, you idiot!

Oh.

*returns to consciousness, rubs eyes blearily* Wha-- Okay, what the hell happened in here? You two just totally derailed my entire post!

:rak_03:

We were simply discussing how you seem to have suddenly started spreading yourself thin.

Oh, okay. Well, it's nice of you to be concerned, but I'm over that now. From now on, "Afterimages" is my top priority.

You sound like Malavai when you say that. *giggle*

Spare me.

What about my spinoff?

I'll write in it when I feel like it.

What about that story you said you'd post in the Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread?

I...um...I guess I'll have to finish that one?

I see.

Well, stop wasting time here and get cracking!

Yeah!

Okay! :D

Whyohwhy...?

Why can't I just have the bad guys KILL one of the good guys once in a while? It's always 'capture' this or 'take prisoner' that or 'brainwash' whoever... It would be SO much easier if the bad guys just offed people once in a while.

My GOOD guys are actually MUCH more destructive and homicidal most of the time.

Uh...

Hmm...

I don't know what that says about me. I don't think I want to know.

Edited by kalenath

Whyohwhy...?

Why can't I just have the bad guys KILL one of the good guys once in a while? It's always 'capture' this or 'take prisoner' that or 'brainwash' whoever... It would be SO much easier if the bad guys just offed people once in a while.

My GOOD guys are actually MUCH more destructive and homicidal most of the time.

Uh...

Hmm...

I don't know what that says about me. I don't think I want to know.

*psssttt* hey kal over here

alternate universe :D

then MURDER EVERYONE

Sometimes I wish I could convince my best friend to give me real advice on my work, beyond 'that was really good.'

I know she likes my stuff, but I don't get any real feedback. I don't want to produce a terrible idea and no one stop me from causing a train-wreck of a story.

We could make a critique thread. Post a snip of anything and have everyone to take a hard look at for, ideas, execution, wording, etc. Maybe you we could have a format like:

Post excerpt/summary/thing of max words (500? 1000?)

Ask for critique with focus on (literary things that I can't remember the name of)

Problem is, doing a critique is hard, takes time, and confidence in the idea that you know enough about writing to critique someone else, but I'd be interested in something like that if other people are.

it's probably a dumb idea, i'm going to get back to work now.

Edited by kabeone

We could make a critique thread. Post a snip of anything and have everyone to take a hard look at for, ideas, execution, wording, etc. Maybe you we could have a format like:

Post excerpt/summary/thing of max words (500? 1000?)

Ask for critique with focus on (literary things that I can't remember the name of)

Problem is, doing a critique is hard, takes time, and confidence in the idea that you know enough about writing to critique someone else, but I'd be interested in something like that if other people are.

it's probably a dumb idea, i'm going to get back to work now.

I would gladly participate in this. I mean, I don't claim to be an expert on writing or anything, but I wouldn't mind helping people. :)