Do we have another chance to get master Ranos (or another companions) ?

Jedi_guard

Well, the title above does speak everything. I hope BW can bring back a chance to get old companions for subscribers in the near future. I pay for the whole content each month so why don't you grant me the full content in-game. Many of my friends who come back the game for a long time also want to have another opportunity to get lost companions. You can make a quest or a challenge to let us have it. Thank you so much!!!

Short answer: No

Longer answer: No. BW has never offered limited time available anything once the chance has past. Never say never but chances are that if you missed out on a given reward - be it companion or something else - you are out of luck. That is not to say I am against them doing so, but if they ever do - just my opinion - they had better charge more for it than what someone had to pay (in sub fees) to get it after the fact, or else the "subscriber" and "event" rewards will have little meaning; "why pay for a subscription over the course of months when I can buy the reward later?"

you are not the first person to start such a thread, usually derails into a big argument. but in short: most likely not going to happen. while people ask for it doesn't seem likely, they never have, and honestly wouldn't want them too. takes away something from people who earned it, devalues it in my opinion. and I say that wanting things I missed out on. but its better to just leave it since its a waste of energy to ask for something I didn't earn

Short answer: No

Longer answer: No. BW has never offered limited time available anything once the chance has past. Never say never but chances are that if you missed out on a given reward - be it companion or something else - you are out of luck. That is not to say I am against them doing so, but if they ever do - just my opinion - they had better charge more for it than what someone had to pay (in sub fees) to get it after the fact, or else the "subscriber" and "event" rewards will have little meaning; "why pay for a subscription over the course of months when I can buy the reward later?"

And yet they've recently done it.

For the anniversary of KOTOR they gifted Shadow of Revan and the classic Swoop Bike... Which was a sub-reward.

Now will they do a second DvL, I don't know (And I hope not in the format it was in) but I wouldn't be against it even if I already have Ranos.

I have no issue with someone getting the worst voiced companion ever if they do the same stuff as I have before. And even if they don't.

If Bioware declares "Just loging-in at X date gives you Ranos" then fine. Their game, their choice.

OP: Master Ranos wasn't a subscriber reward. She was a reward for "winning" a certain level of winningness in an in-game event. Granted, the level of winningness required meant that it was effectively open only to subscribers, but the companion wasn't rewarded just for being a subscriber.

So I suffered through a pile of GSF matches, and a long list of flashpoints, and a couple of warzones, and a bunch of other things, and having done that, I got the reward.

The release of Darth Hexid for a small amount of activity was reasonable. Nobody had her before, and it didn't matter whether you earned Ranos or not.

But a new contest to get Ranos would raise interesting questions: so they release a new event that offers Master Ranos as a reward:

* What does it say if the level of winningness is reduced to Hexid-like levels?

* What do they offer to people who already earned Master Ranos?

* Alternative formulation of the above: what can they do to entice me to suffer through more GSF and run all those FPs again?

* How do they avoid epic complaints from people who missed the second bite at the cherry?

This is why I prefer the Star Trek Online model where every hundred days of continued sub time nets you something new... granted, it's been two and a half years since I was able to play STO :( but the point stands.

Instead of things being one time only, everyone can earn them... at least in theory.

But yeah, it is highly unlikely that they'll offer another chance to get Master Ranos, Darth Hexid, Nico Okarr, Shae Vizla, or to rebuilt HK-55 and do his bonus chapter.

Don't lose hope though. Always in motion is the future.

/signed

I have all the sub and reward comps, I believe they should be used to provide more content for current players in any way, current (or returning) sub rewards, new event, achievement, or mission rewards, cartel market sales, or whatever.

Swtor doesn't have the content to be holding out on anybody.

/signed

I have all the sub and reward comps, I believe they should be used to provide more content for current players in any way, current (or returning) sub rewards, new event, achievement, or mission rewards, cartel market sales, or whatever.

Swtor doesn't have the content to be holding out on anybody.

But what do you offer people who already have those things? What do they say for the next subscriber reward? "Be a subscriber on date X to get this, or wait a while and buy it in-game"? Doesn't sound very enticing.

No, while they do need to provide more content, they need to do so by providing *NEW* content.

But what do you offer people who already have those things? What do they say for the next subscriber reward? "Be a subscriber on date X to get this, or wait a while and buy it in-game"? Doesn't sound very enticing.

No, while they do need to provide more content, they need to do so by providing *NEW* content.

They obviously don't have the resources to provide the new content other AAA mmos generate.

I'd really like the chance to get Shae Vizla and HK-55's chapter. I missed a few months due to an unforeseen circumstance.

Perhaps a "buy-back?" for subscribers? Pay $15 for the month in question, get the companion. <heck, it would put money in their pocket when we weren't even able to play the game for that time>.

Would be nice for those of us that may have missed a few months along the way.

I still say, if someone has to have Master Ranos... giver her an alliance alert that's the DVL event. I had to run all that content for the event, you can run all that content for an alliance alert.

I have a different opinion of subscriber companions versus event companions if you go by some of my previous posts.

Edited by absolutetristan

I still say, if someone has to have Master Ranos... giver her an alliance alert that's the DVL event. I had to run all that content for the event, you can run all that content for an alliance alert.

I have a different opinion of subscriber companions versus event companions if you go by some of my previous posts.

The biggest problem with what you suggest is that the DvL event required all of that content to be completed with newly created characters.

How does BW put that into an alliance alert that is specific to a single character?

If BW wants to rerun the DvL event and give players a second chance to obtain Master Ramos as a companion, then that is up to BW. What do they offer those who already obtained Master Ramos, though? Do they offer a "choice" of companions if the light side wins and if they do, how do players make the "choice"?

What about the dark side companion? I don't think that Darth Hexid should be offered as the dark side companion again, as the means to actually acquire her did not revolve around DvL, as she was the "losing DvL companion".

What happens if BW reruns the DvL event and the dark side wins?

I'm not against BW revisiting the dark side event, just noting that it is not as simple as running that event a second time.

Even if they do revisit the DvL event, hat happens when the inevitable cries of "BW, give us another chance to obtain X reward. I didn't get the reward I wanted due to <insert random reason here>. You OWE me a chance to get the reward I wanted." start to appear?

• 10 months later...

Gree event coming back every few weeks.

THORN Rakghoul event coming back every few weeks.

Bounty Contact Week event coming back every few weeks.

Many subscribers have have all the reputation points for those event, and got all the gear they wanted, and the only reason they still do the event is for the Conquest points.

So why not something similar for DvL ?

New subscribers could have access to content they didn't have access to in the past, and there would still be incentive for old time subscriber to participate in the event.

I'm too new as a swtor player to know what was DvL (started playing in late december 2017, and subscribed around March or April 2018), but recently I took notice of Master Ranos, and I see that DvL legacy achievement I'll never get the chance to complete.

Two of my Republic players who completed Eternal Throne got Darth Hexid Alert mission that only requires me to talk to her in the Force enclave. Very happy about it. Why not something similair for Master Ranos ?

Edited by ytrenor

I think it's a great idea to release old content for new players. I know a lot of old players would be upset, but if it can increase the number of players, specifically subs, I'm all for it.

Would it increase new players though? I don't think saying to people that haven't played before that you get X for joining is that big of a draw card.

I also don't like the idea of 'exclusive' content being available again. I collect comps and I missed getting Darth Hexid for various reasons. I'd love to have the character but I'm not complaining about it as I didn't do what I needed to do.

I would prefer content like this be based on a time subbed model where if you're subscribed for longer you get better rewards (1 month some cartel coins, 6 months an outfit, 1 year an exclusive comp, etc). This doesn't locked players out of things like Master Ranos or Darth Hexid (or the HK-55 bonus chapter), it's just a time thing to get them.

Would it increase new players though? I don't think saying to people that haven't played before that you get X for joining is that big of a draw card.

I also don't like the idea of 'exclusive' content being available again. I collect comps and I missed getting Darth Hexid for various reasons. I'd love to have the character but I'm not complaining about it as I didn't do what I needed to do.

I would prefer content like this be based on a time subbed model where if you're subscribed for longer you get better rewards (1 month some cartel coins, 6 months an outfit, 1 year an exclusive comp, etc). This doesn't locked players out of things like Master Ranos or Darth Hexid (or the HK-55 bonus chapter), it's just a time thing to get them.

I think it would get some people to re-sub.

• 3 weeks later...

Its regrettable that they are not recruitable outside of the small window of opportunity, I really hope we get another chance, its a shame.

I hate the idea of timed content in general, especially in an rpg. Resources went into it and if had been armour or speeder I wouldnt care, but actuall companions with story bits and voiced lines, even a mission to recruit them only given to people who were playing at the time is just sad.

I was a long time player of swtor, subbed for years at a time and havnt played at all during that time because there have been no news of story content, didnt even know these companions were available until they were already gone, sure to an extent that is my fault, but why make us unable to obtain them after we have resubbed again.

Edited by Sorens

I didn't do DvL, but considering the huge amount of player effort that had to go into earning Ranos, IMHO people would probably get upset about her being made available for anything less than the same amount of effort.

But if they were to run DvL II, I think they could perhaps do that.

• 1 year later...
I didn't do DvL, but considering the huge amount of player effort that had to go into earning Ranos, IMHO people would probably get upset about her being made available for anything less than the same amount of effort.

But if they were to run DvL II, I think they could perhaps do that.

A version of DvL II IS being talked about/considered as of one of latest twitch streams.

I recently witnessed a player with Master Ranos and was very excited to find out how to get her.

I completely missed DvL the first time because I really didn't look into how to participate and didn't get much in the way of in game notifications? back then.. I would trade the dozens of companions I don't use from KotFE and KotET to help pave the way to earning Ranos :D