Bioware please CHANGE the WZ medal system.

nophere

Ok so the current method of getting Valor is by collecting medals and winning games. This system is BROKEN in a really bad way. Here are a couple reasons why.

I was playing a Hutball the other day and my team was playing pro hutball. Grabbing, passing and getting in good spots to receive passes. Score became 5-0 really fast and I look down and noticed I had ZERO medals because I was just trying to help win the game. At this point our team was forced to stop grabbing the ball and start farming the opposing team. This is neither fair to EITHER team.

Secondly this system seems to favor people who do not care for objectives and hurt the rest of your team. A lot of people just run around trying to kill people and they ignore everything else. Those people usually end up with the most Valor/commendations at the end of the match which is wrong.

Third and I will add I am not a healer but healers really get screwed here. Healers are arguably the most important members of your team and they are always getting the least medals on the team and a lot of the time they are the whole reason you win said match.

There are probably more issues with this system but you get the point. I know you guys have a lot on your plate with other issues but Id like to see some sort of change in the future on how rewards are handed out.

Anyone elses thoughts?

I agree with this completely. I myself am guilty of ignoring objectives, especially with the lead in order to maximize valor, which is silly. Seems like a simple fix would be to add in new medals for scoring, taking a node, completing a pass, planting a bomb etc. I also don't like having to farm my own faction after going up 5-0 and agree it's not fair for anyone (however I don't mind it on the rare occasion I'm in a huttball with pubs lol). The things you bring up though have been constant, consistent gripes since release, and afaik they haven't commented on whether this is something they're considering or not.

I agree with this. I was low man on the totem pole in Alderaan after capturing and defending the left turret during the whole game when everyone else ran for the middle. I was highest in objectives, and squat for everything else.

Yeah this is a real problem with Alderaan. You do not get rewarded at all for standing and protecting a node where people running around killing people no where near a turret are getting huge rewards.

I agree as a healer I get like half the medals dps specs do and most of the time i'm the reason we won the damn warfront.

for this reason a lot of people will vote for healers for mvp

if I see a useful healer (and not just one dmging and healing himself) he gets my mvp vote

and on the original topic - it would be better to reward objectives more in wz, but it isn't that straight forward...

say you put in something like time spent near a turret, well what if the whole team just gives up and sits next to a turret - do you want to reward that?

Edited by Internicio

for this reason a lot of people will vote for healers for mvp

if I see a useful healer (and not just one dmging and healing himself) he gets my mvp vote

I also vote heals for the MVP but heals still get the shaft pretty hard.

Agree .... this is like the 10,000th post on this I'm pretty sure its on every single page of the pvp forum. BW should have taken notice by now. Til they do I will continue my support for the cause.

Ahh I have not seen it before or I would have just bumped an older thread with my thoughts.

My bad.

Good players get medals and win objectives. The system works fine

Why are you all so concerned about what the next man is doing.

Because the WZ's are only 8 people deep and every person makes a big difference for the TEAM.

And obviously if there has been threads and threads about this very issue the system does not work fine.

The medal system works fine in voidstar and alderaan because the fighting usually takes place were you need to be anyways, yes sometimes you get unlucky and your door or your canon gets completely ignored but that is not often the case. In Huttball though focusing on medals is completely detrimental to your team, you can't even make the medals huttball oriented because that would lead to selfish play (pass the ball? hell no i get a medal for scoring, etc).

The medal system works fine in voidstar and alderaan because the fighting usually takes place were you need to be anyways, yes sometimes you get unlucky and your door or your canon gets completely ignored but that is not often the case. In Huttball though focusing on medals is completely detrimental to your team, you can't even make the medals huttball oriented because that would lead to selfish play (pass the ball? hell no i get a medal for scoring, etc).

it does not work fine in any WZ. People still chase people all the way across the map in alderaan trying to kill fleeing enemies when they are are the only 1's on the turret only to have someone sneak in from behind to cap it. In Voidstar they are fighting on bridges instead of watching doors. Hell half the time there is 2 whole teams on the same door and nobody watching it at all.

The medal system is mostly fine - it's a decent counter to someone AFKing their way through a match. The 'players running off' problem has a little to do with medals, instead it's mostly due to boring guard duty.

I would suggest:

- cap the number of medals (or the rewards from those medals).

e.g. >6 medals, and you'd only get 6 medals. So you aren't playing to game the system.

- award medals in huttball more logically. (damaging the ball carrier, carrying or being near the ball carrier etc).

- award "turret defender medals" if <=2 players are defending a turret. Leave the existing medals for turret defense in.

- look at providing another map-specific stat or 2 for MVP voting. e.g. "length of time guarding a turret with <=2 players" on alderaan, distance ball carried, carrier 'sacks', bombs planted, plants/bridges interrupted or disarmed.

Agree, but not enough and nor do the relevant people care.

They lost 15% subscribers in the first month. Will see what happens in the next few months.

LOL they lost a lot more than that. I have no "facts" but Im going to say as of now its around 50%.

LOL they lost a lot more than that. I have no "facts" but Im going to say as of now its around 50%.

Well 2 down to 1.7 Million in the first month, you do the math.

And to those that say that the medals systems works fine, they are just numbless brain dead people who like gear grinding by farming medals but do not care to partake in any real engaging PvP.

Edited by RobyBaggio

Agree, but not enough and nor do the relevant people care.

They lost 15% subscribers in the first month. Will see what happens in the next few months.

Because no MMO has ever lost subs after the free month.

Medal system is ok in theory, they just need to tweak some medals so that each archtype(dps/heals/tank) have access to the same number of medals.

Ok so the current method of getting Valor is by collecting medals and winning games. This system is BROKEN in a really bad way. Here are a couple reasons why.

I was playing a Hutball the other day and my team was playing pro hutball. Grabbing, passing and getting in good spots to receive passes. Score became 5-0 really fast and I look down and noticed I had ZERO medals because I was just trying to help win the game. At this point our team was forced to stop grabbing the ball and start farming the opposing team. This is neither fair to EITHER team.

Secondly this system seems to favor people who do not care for objectives and hurt the rest of your team. A lot of people just run around trying to kill people and they ignore everything else. Those people usually end up with the most Valor/commendations at the end of the match which is wrong.

Third and I will add I am not a healer but healers really get screwed here. Healers are arguably the most important members of your team and they are always getting the least medals on the team and a lot of the time they are the whole reason you win said match.

There are probably more issues with this system but you get the point. I know you guys have a lot on your plate with other issues but Id like to see some sort of change in the future on how rewards are handed out.

Anyone elses thoughts?

So what?

You get commendations for winning, and winning quickly is better than qinning slowly.

The guys not paying attn to objectives probably lose more games than win and the 'medals vs commendations' thing ends up a wash.

Not really caring about this.

Nothing wrong with healers... I play a Sorc healer and I average 8-11 medals a game. People just need to learn to deal damage when everyone is above 80% hp.

2.5k heal, 5k heal, 2.5k damage, killing blow, 75k healing and 75k damage is obtainable during every game if you spec and play right.