98% solo, I miss the player cities of SWG

Krisskar

Did you actually play the game or are you one of the thousands of sheep that just jump on the trash SWG bandwagon. The same could doubly be said for TOR , if it wasn't SW no one would still be playing. It's an average WoW clone with many basic features missing.

I played it and it was really bad.

Player housing was a ghost town. You would run into small guild cities or towns but they where always empty. Everyone always kept their doors locked so it's not like you could just walk in and see all the neat things they added.

I'd be happy with more player housing like EQ2.

I played it and it was really bad.

Player housing was a ghost town. You would run into small guild cities or towns but they where always empty. Everyone always kept their doors locked so it's not like you could just walk in and see all the neat things they added.

I'd be happy with more player housing like EQ2.

I played until the NGE and that wasn't my experience at all. Wherever you went people had taken time and effort in their homes and wanted to show them. Also, many had stores and it was great to see how they had used various game items to look like something else.

Our player city was a thriving community, everyone had stores, we had events and of course battles with opposite faction cities.

I don't know where these experiences of ghost towns comes from unless it was post NGE.

Edited by Cordelia

False, this is a 100% single player game with co-op mode. Even in FPs and heroic quests there's no indication of you being a team or a group of heroes rather than people combined their solo questing to be able to kill a boss.

WoW was 98% single player game. The 2% part was the fact that you needed to group up so often that more often than not you found yourself questing in groups (talking bout vanilla and TBC). This is even more a solo experience along with the companions added and heroic4 quests and FPs are optional.

As for me, I feel like playing KotOR3 but it's ok.

A MMO lets you trade, craft, quest, pvp, role play, but most of all DEAL with real people and not just toons or GTM machines. World PvP and city raids (with a goal) is a must. Bartering is a must. Being able to role play (supported with emotes) is a must. None are existant in SWTOR.

WoW is a single-player game with multiplayer co-op for PvP and dungeons. There are no group quests in azeroth anymore, or outland for that matter.

Secondly, you can RP with emotes. Type /e . Not rocket science.

I barter all the time. The only thing I miss from swtor is Pazaak with bets.

well i dont think swtor is a solo game... i played more mmos and all were like this.. at least here i have fun, and i want to play further so see what happens.. and not get bored killing pigs and bees...

You talking about Tera Close beta? lol If yes then yeah, It was horrible. Swords longer than your character......***

Edited by Volksworgen

I think it's it more the playerbase than the game, I am social 8, have been grouped since staring the game hang out with friends and guildies, it's only a solo game if you make it one.. over that last few years in mmo's there seems to be this new I want to solo everything in social game, i guess times are changing, not always for the best.. /sigh I agree to a point I would like to see activities in the cantina and such, not that much of fan of player cities, I used to enjoy swg when the cantina on coronet was hopping, after player cities all that died, but we held events in our city but just was not the same.. pros and cons to everything :)

yes i agree with this. Unfortunaly most people think the leveling process is just it, a processs, to an end, and when taht arrives its only when their fun begins. It is a shame realy, i have been doing some planets with some friends grouped togetehr and i can say the game its much more enjoyable that way, then solo.

How Bioware treats the game, they feel its also a solo game with multiplayer aspects.

When I cancelled my sub, they told me to try out a different character to experience their story.

The reason I quit had nothing to do with character story.

How Bioware treats the game, they feel its also a solo game with multiplayer aspects.

When I cancelled my sub, they told me to try out a different character to experience their story.

The reason I quit had nothing to do with character story.

I think this is what BW thinks is the difference between swtor and other MMO games is "We like stories" <said in a Homer Simpson voice>.

I think the problem with this is strategy is you are just targetting mostly the Star Wars fans not MMO gamers. IMHO, MMO gamers have been conditioned to not like stories because it slows down levelling to the endgame. Stories extend the leveling grind to be more painful for most MMO veterans.....I'm sure I'm not the only one who has overworked my space-bar when the stories start rolling. :)

But back to the original OP comments:

I agree with other posters that said SWG is something to forget and I can't think of one example where housing in an MMO actually helped grouping in the game. (Which, btw I think WoW is doing the right thing of refusing to add housing)

Another post thread that I agreed with is the game is what you make of it for grouping. Just like if you want to keep and hang out with friends in the real world you have to put effort into it yourself...you can't just wait for people to call you.

Edited by GranitePlanet

Old copy from the original game -- Choose your own path, and define your role as you prepare to take your rightful place in the Star Wars universe. You're only limited by your imagination.

Build everything -- your own weapons and droids to houses, factories and shops -- live in a world entirely of your own creation.

Experience the greatest Star Wars Saga ever told -- Yours

I played before the revamp and came back several years after. The problem seemed to be people too stubborn to give it a try again after the changes. Most that bad mouth SWG either didn't play it or did but don't enjoy the sandbox type of game.

The player cities with shops scattered throughout. People actually waiting for that perfect resource to spawn and able to make the best products for their customers. I'm not sure why people spaz about the housing. I never ran into issues with too many houses scattered around -- why? because the planets were so vast. When player housing came out sure people created and put down alot of them but it leveled out. And toward the end they had a blow up houses that had been marked as abandoned and then they were gone and out of the way.

Player/guild bases were great. Remember those where you set up people keeping watch and getting the message in guildchat that the enemy guild was in mass outside the spaceport and looked like they were heading to our base. Get back there quick to defend and of course rebuild after it was over. Great times! You had purpose and worked together as a group.

I also miss the complexity....current mmo mechanics seem to be tailor made for toddlers....

and yes, player towns actually had players in them ALL the time, often more people than in the main cities (theed, coronet)

people that diss (pre-curb) SWG either did not play it, or are pissed that it wasn't a brainless, linear game with cookie cutter everything, and not need to think how to handle your char/gear

Ya know what's interesting? This game isn't SWG. I know. I was shocked too. :rolleyes:

The only thing the two games have in common is that they are both set in the Star Wars Universe. That's it. SWTOR is a completely different style of MMO. (ie: modern)

We're all very sorry your game is gone. We truly are, but there's a reason for that. Those "old school", pre-WoW style MMOs just aren't profitable anymore. It's just the evolution of the genre. MMOs now are about linear questing, relatively easy content, frequent rewards and solo friendly play. Most people don't want/have time to grind mindlessly for hours on end, spend 30min running to our destinations, decorate houses, or emote endlessly at people in a Cantina. Get with the times or shut up already.

"In my day we had to actually go out and buy our music on records. You spoiled kids just click a button now and there it is. Spoiled lazy brats, the lot of you"

"Shut the f up Grandma!!"

Stop bashing SWTOR for not being the game you miss. It's inane, meaningless and it's getting damn annoying.

1) swtor seems to be 98% a solo game, with occasional pugs (if you can find one).

2) I"m biased I know, because I was mayor of Tuskn Flats in SWG, but the social aspects of swtor seem ..... very weak.

3) sigh

You were the mayor of Tuskan flats? Wow, I hated you. Think I still do.

Edited by maxetius

I think it's it more the playerbase than the game, I am social 8, have been grouped since staring the game hang out with friends and guildies, it's only a solo game if you make it one.. over that last few years in mmo's there seems to be this new I want to solo everything in social game, i guess times are changing, not always for the best.. /sigh I agree to a point I would like to see activities in the cantina and such, not that much of fan of player cities, I used to enjoy swg when the cantina on coronet was hopping, after player cities all that died, but we held events in our city but just was not the same.. pros and cons to everything :)

^Agree.

So you played a game you thought was bad for 8 years? Some people are just weird.

90% of us 8 year vets hated the game.

Most of us had no where else to go (i loath fantasy genre) and / or stuck around just in case SOE got it's act together and fixed the game.