Announcing the Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free Trial*. Now you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players up to level 15 with no charge or time limit! The Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial allows individuals, without a previously active Star Wars: The Old Republic game account, to see a portion of what the game has to offer with no payment method required.

Read More

When I click on the question "What restrictions, if any, will be placed on a Free Trial Account?" from this page , it just takes me to a list of Hot Topics on the Help Center. It doesn't lead to an answer to the question.

Hopefully there will be restrictions on which servers free players can choose, or at least a login priority for subscribers.

Edited by Kourage

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free Trial*. Now you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players up to level 15 with no charge or time limit! The Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial allows individuals, without a previously active Star Wars: The Old Republic game account, to see a portion of what the game has to offer with no payment method required.

Read More

Please give paying customers a priority in the login Queue.

Just one question : what about crafting? If trizillions of free players will be able to craft - it doesn't have any level restriction atm - GTN will be flooded with player crafted items or gathered mats and whole economy will collapse.

PLEASE INTRODUCE RESTRICTIONS TO CREW SKILLS LEVELS - ie. similar to cap for Valour Rank when pvp'ing with levels under 50.

When I click on the question "What restrictions, if any, will be placed on a Free Trial Account?" from this page , it just takes me to a list of Hot Topics on the Help Center. It doesn't lead to an answer to the question.

Hopefully there will be restrictions on which servers free players can choose, or at least a login priority for subscribers.

The link is wrong. This should work

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6411

The following game restrictions will be placed on your Free Trial account for the duration of the trial:

- A Free Trial character cannot exceed level 15. The player will be notified via in-game notifications and chat message once they have hit the maximum level for the trial experience.

- A Free Trial character will only be able to play on their Origin World, Capital World, the Fleet, all Warzones, and in their first Flashpoint. A message box will appear if a character attempts to go outside of these areas.

- A Free Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, and reply to whispers.

- A Free Trial character will not be able to send or reply to mail by other trial characters. However, your character will be able to receive in-game mail during the trial.

- A Free Trial character will not be able to use the Galactic Trade Network or trade with other players.

- A Free Trial character will only be able to level their Crew Skills ranking to around 40.

- A Free Trial character will not be able to earn Legacy XP.

Edited by skarr_tor

Just one question : what about crafting? If trizillions of free players will be able to craft - it doesn't have any level restriction atm - GTN will be flooded with player crafted items or gathered mats and whole economy will collapse.

PLEASE INTRODUCE RESTRICTIONS TO CREW SKILLS LEVELS - ie. similar to cap for Valour Rank when pvp'ing with levels under 50.

OK NVM - I've just read above....

Thanks for letting us know! We are looking into it.

As a player who played free weekends and trials prior to becoming a paid player, I do have a suggestion. Why not restrict trial players to "non-destination (busy)" servers. Since those players are mostly going to be on the starting and cap planets, they'd have the opportunity to play with lots of people who were also playing for free. It would also:

1. Keep fleet and planetary populations at the levels that paying subscribers are used to.
  2. It would keep potential players from reading the often scathing threads in General chat.
  3. It would also provide more of an incentive for trial players to take the plunge by allowing them to transfer their characters to a prime server once they start paying for the game.
  4. When trial players can't speak unless spoken to, they often resort to "rude" tactics to get the attention of other players, including sending random group invites.

I fully understand the value in allowing someone to play a game to a certain point to decide if he wishes to play. In my case I choose a server that was less populated for my trials as a courtesy to those who were paying for the game. It also helped me to establish that my computer would be able handle the hardware demands of the game while still allowing me to enjoy myself.

(edit) the free trial seems a good think to me.

Now hopefully paying customers will go through priorities queues or guess players will be upset.

I am a bit concerned about this also. Is there a login priority system that will be in place so paying subscribers will get in ahead of those on the trial?

As a player who played free weekends and trials prior to becoming a paid player, I do have a suggestion. Why not restrict trial players to "non-destination (busy)" servers. Since those players are mostly going to be on the starting and cap planets, they'd have the opportunity to play with lots of people who were also playing for free.

This. I second this idea.

Now the tens of players who haven't had a chance to trial this game for free will get an opportunity, and we will see a boon in populations the likes of which we haven't seen since Operatives were first nerfed.

Things are truly looking up.

read the info. they cant use GTN. restricted to skill lvl 40...cant use general or trade...not likely to be competition now will they?

use it to your advantage :p

shhhhhh!!! dont screw it up!! find a way THERES ALWAYS A WAY!!

Not to be anal but yall should probs change the display picture for this page. Last I checked marauders couldnt wear that armor anymore..unless juggs' can now dual wield. Its ok though, keep yanking the dee's of all the people who wanted to play marauders based upon what they saw in the "lvl up" preview videos and then a month before launch completely change they way we looked, its totally fine. I didn't want to look like a ****** until lvl 50 anyways and grind out my champion/battlemaster gear anyways (my apologies now you can just get the same gear for free so that problem is sovled but pre 1.3 omg) to get a damn hood.

Can I get some clarification to this:

A Free Trial character will not be able to send or reply to mail by other trial characters. However, your character will be able to receive in-game mail during the trial.

Does that mean a free trial can also SEND mail to other paying-account characters? It isn't specifically prohibited, and if so, let me just say - BAD IDEA!!!!! Credspammers are a small-ish problem now, let's not make it worse by giving them another avenue for throw-away accounts. But, on the plus side... if you can send mail, can trial accounts buy all of the bank tabs on a trial account?

If so... here's what I'm gonna do: create a new email address, sign up for the trial on that address, and make a bank alt there, since I really, really don't want to turn one of my "one-of-each-class" roster of characters into a bank alt. I may even make a guild, join the trial account character to the guild, and buy the first GB bay.