Sorcerer in PVP, Weak

SassyJaxy

In truth I notice a lot of downfall to the Sorceror. That said it is still my main class and I love it. Problem is, it has practically no ability to stand on it's own. Even with my highest damaging companion (Ashara) with her highest available equipment at my level, I have more than once even had to request aid just to complete a story mission that is really meant to be soloed in the first place. That proves that they are weak even in PVE. I've even been blasted down to half health on some missions that were grey, ie far bellow my level. I have played many MMO's and this is one of the first that I've had this problem It's also one of the first where the caster has to stand there while the attack is happening unable to do anything. In others you'd have to stand rooted while casting, but once it was cast, you could move on, even if it was an extended AOE like FL. You sit for the casting time, cast it, and it's constantly running for it's duration while you go on to cast another spell or hit it with something else, which would often hit while the previous AOE was still going. This was to allow you to take out the lesser enemies a bit easier while still concentrating a decen amount of damage to the main threat, or boss. The balance to the high DPS for these characters has always been that they are squishy and often immoble between hits. That's the balance trade off. Further, the bounty hunter's AOE, that you get at a much lower level (as in before you even get off the starting world) packs a far harder punch than the sorceror's as it would often nearly kill entire groups before it was half finished with it's time, sometimes with the first strike of the damage, and they have heavy freaking armor and high *** defence to boot.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the comments are right because as someone said before, is not understood that DPS Sorcerer needs a Hybrid setting. And moreover, is a class that depends on a team to excel. I have relatively high DPS in most matches and the contribution to the team thanks to special abilities as Force speed (hutball), bubble and special stuns (instant wirlepool), is good

i dont see the logic in having the squishiest class have the lowest burst... plain and simple

i look at the biggest hits at the end of every match of the dmg leaders..

assasins usualy around 4-5k

pts usualy around 4-7k

juggs around 5-7k

and maras around 4-5k

sorcs.. usualy around 3-4k

we need something.. i mean back int he day i remember hitting 4-5k chain lightnings and and deathfields

now i barely see them hit 3k if ever... (mix of BM and wh gear)

i realize my gear needs small improvements but not to account for that loss of dmg

possibly even bring sorcs SHOCK up to assasin level dmg wise

somethin...

sorcs sustained dps is fine it just lacks burst IMO. When teamed with a good burst dps there dps is very effective if you're the sole dps on the team things can get a bit hairy especially against multiple healers.. Good dps sorc shouldn't be eating hits when played correctly ofc they can b e taken down really fast but thats just the nature of the class.

Pretty much this. When I played DPS spec, I had to string out fights to win. DPS Sorc does deceptive damage, versus the melee DPS and operative/sniper/smuggler which is just in your face with massive crits.

As a heal hybrid my dps is garbage but my escapability is quite good now. Basically, 1 on 1 fights I have to run from - and generally succeed in doing so.

Edited by islander

I hate that a DPS can kill me in 3-4 secs and I have 19.5khp and 1294 expertise and cannot even get him down to 2/3 of his health. I know we are healers but the need to defend ourselves in PVP should exist, worst class for Hutt ball too, too slow and very easy to stop and kill. Do other see this too. I going to level one of DPS chars to 50.

Healer sages probably one of the very good classes for hutball, non-rooted force speed, pull, heals, bubble stuns, knockbacks. I am afraid but this is a L2P thing.

So on this topic can any of you successful PVPers share some of your builds for sorcerer? I'm using a DPS sorcerer with most of my skills in lightning but I don't seems to be doing very well...

Can anyone please post a viable DPS sorcerer build link? I would really appreciate it...

So on this topic can any of you successful PVPers share some of your builds for sorcerer? I'm using a DPS sorcerer with most of my skills in lightning but I don't seems to be doing very well...

Can anyone please post a viable DPS sorcerer build link? I would really appreciate it...

Best spec you can go with is reroll marauder- BW loves them.

I'm aware that marauders are OP right now but I'm looking for a good sorcerer DPS build anyway...

21/20/0 works for me- I get innervate, stun bubble and chain lightning. Fair warning- your damage is kinda lolz... full BM with some WH, augmented and my CL doesn't even crit over 2.5k for the medal, it's a joke. Still- some CC, you're useful for your team and still have some healing capabilities.

Ultimately- any pvp spec must have the stun bubble, so you can't get any 31 point talents (which is fine- 31 points all suck for pvp anyway).

If you want to go DPS- you'll likely be going similar number just into madness rather than corruption until you get crushing darkness insta-procs.

Ultimately though- you're a bubble with a bit of healing or damage.

edit- you'll want 0/17/16 at the least- after that you can go 7 into healing for a faster DI, some crit and 10% more damage to death field, lightning storm and chain lightning. I'd suggest one more point in lightning for the instant CL procs after you get the stun bubble- you can go up to 24 to get forked lightning procs. Or, you can go a bit deeper in madness to get more crushing darkness damage, and the vital death mark talent for bigger dot damage.

Ultimately though, pvp without stun bubble and root KB is foolish- which is unfortunate since hybridizing means splitting your talent boosts rather than focusing, meaning any ideal build has subpar damage. Pure builds though don't do much more damage, and have such poor survivability it's not worth it- and going full lightning doesn't help either as long as thundering blast is as terrible as it is.

Edited by fungihoujo

21/20/0 works for me- I get innervate, stun bubble and chain lightning. Fair warning- your damage is kinda lolz... full BM with some WH, augmented and my CL doesn't even crit over 2.5k for the medal, it's a joke. Still- some CC, you're useful for your team and still have some healing capabilities.

Ultimately- any pvp spec must have the stun bubble, so you can't get any 31 point talents (which is fine- 31 points all suck for pvp anyway).

If you want to go DPS- you'll likely be going similar number just into madness rather than corruption until you get crushing darkness insta-procs.

Ultimately though- you're a bubble with a bit of healing or damage.

edit- you'll want 0/17/16 at the least- after that you can go 7 into healing for a faster DI, some crit and 10% more damage to death field, lightning storm and chain lightning. I'd suggest one more point in lightning for the instant CL procs after you get the stun bubble- you can go up to 24 to get forked lightning procs. Or, you can go a bit deeper in madness to get more crushing darkness damage, and the vital death mark talent for bigger dot damage.

Ultimately though, pvp without stun bubble and root KB is foolish- which is unfortunate since hybridizing means splitting your talent boosts rather than focusing, meaning any ideal build has subpar damage. Pure builds though don't do much more damage, and have such poor survivability it's not worth it- and going full lightning doesn't help either as long as thundering blast is as terrible as it is.

Thank for the info will try your DPS build advice tonight. I know what you mean about thundering blast... By the time that thing deploys I've already been killed 3 times by the sentinel/guardians alike...

Edited by MarkoJinn

Yes, well you shouldn't have to run. But what's up with the juggernaut, what's supposed to de the defensive tank, busting out the highest damage? Doesn't look very defensive with damage like that.

I agree, however, Bioware's decided we need to be a utility role. :/

I mean, I know it's valuable in group combat, so I'm okay with the trade off.

Thank for the info will try your DPS build advice tonight. I know what you mean about thundering blast... By the time that thing deploys I've already been killed 3 times by the sentinel/guardians alike...

I dont bother with the chain lightning. Ridiculous wait on it, or staring at the task bar hoping the instant proc happens and then you target a group.

I use this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhMRRdMzZf0RroMbZ0M.2

I've seen a version of this that skips out on the 2 willpower points and puts it into corruption (2 points life surge, usually) but I personally prefer the extra 80 willpower.

I agree, however, Bioware's decided we need to be a utility role. :/

I mean, I know it's valuable in group combat, so I'm okay with the trade off.

I did not roll dps to be utility I rolled dps to dps and lets not forget the fact that marauder has insane utility and dps.

Frankly- it would be nice if procs showed up brightly in the scrolling combat text- something saying 'lightning storm proc' floating up with the damage numbers would be fantastic- as looking at your row of buffs is stupid.

That'd be something that'd benefit everyone.

First of all the post is completely inaccurate but there are so many problems with it I will break it down for you.

Burst is what matters in pvp whether it is AOE or single target. Even if sorcs had the single target burst marauders have they still would not be as good as marauders. This is actually because of several reasons. First of all Sorc damage is unreliable. All of our good damage eventually relies on casting, which every class in the game has an interrupt off global cooldown so casting is not always an option. Due to our low defenses we are required to kite melee in order to survive, however since our casts make us immobile we can not produce good damage while kiting. Marauder has excellent defenses, reliable damage, excellent burst and THE BEST GROUP PVP UTILITY IN GAME. Even if marauders were the worst class in the game, they would still be taken for predation in rated groups.

You see while dotting up several targets using affliction looks nice on the damage board it doesn't contribute to the kill. You seem to believe that this AOE justifies the class, but in actuality the sorc aoe abilities are only good for pointlessly spreading damage over time. Forcestorm does low damage and leaves you immobile, and affliction tab dotting hardly causes a threat. Chain lightning only hits hard off of crit in full lightning spec, and you can only get a proc for it off of casts. So that leaves deathfeild as our best aoe ability, which that move alone far from justifies a sorc DPS in rated.

Sustained AOE does not matter in ranked when high burst focus fire nets a good team kills in seconds. Sustained AOE might get you the numbers at the end of the match, but in reality you did little else other than slightly pressure the enemy team.

QFT. I'll also add that the only justification teams have to bring sorcs now is the broken bubble hybrid.. until it gets nerfed. Then it'll be right back to the red headed step child of DPS in pvp. Lets also face it: PvE damage isn't much better. It's nowhere near that 5% disparity BS line that Bioware likes to harp on.

this is my experimental spec, its doing OK... Im still getting used to it, one thing I can say tho. I have a hell of alot more moveability and adapbility than I used to have running this one. The mechanics are easy, instant casts and lightning barrage has priority, fill with lightning strik/crushing darkness/force lightning as you yourself please, if they interrupt your channel, well guess what? Lightning strike is buffed up and usable.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsbrdRbhZcrzRsMz.2

But as I said, it is very much so experimental and in early stages, but it might work well for someone else as well, I usally dont share this stuff, or read other peoples builds for that matter... kinda want to find my own path, but as I dont feel that I suck in pvp, I thought I'd pitch in.