How does a sage healer defeat the Corrupted Bothrium Beast on Oricon

cfcstl

I finally gave up on this boss. I have tried everything I am used to using and cannot beat him. I ignore "obliterate" and interupt "extract" but when he uses "absorb", I cannot interupt it and he goes back to full health. It is not an issue of dieing, but I cannot get past his "absorb" . I have read this is a dps burst but for healer I don't see the mechanics working. I have tried Nadia and Cedrax , but neither is working for me.

If you are a sage healer and can beat him, please post some suggestions or rotations for this boss.

I know I can find a group, but this is supposed to be a solo mission.

Thats the mechanic that you have to beat. I just beat the Beast and by defeating the tenacle before the cast finishes he won't heal and you can beat him down. I used Cedrax and stood back to view the tenacle spawn, hit tab and fired a project. Took a while but as long as you dont miss the tenacle, you have plenty of time.

The problem I had was not so much killing the tentacle etc, but it was that he killed my tank companion too quickly, faster than I was able to heal him.

Healer in general have a hard time with this boss - it took me three tries with my Operative, and he can solo the Oricon H+2 (with luck & careful positioning).

You may have to let your comp die, because healing him, yourself, interrupting 'Extract', recovering from 'Obliterate', and killing the tentacle on time may just become too much.

This boss can only be beaten by strictly following the fight mechanics:

interrupt all 'Extracts', kill every tentacle before he can sacrifice it, keep yourself bubbled against his attacks, and DpS him in between for all you're worth.

If you fail to do that, even Heroic Moment won't help, healing yourself, or your comp, means healing him, and eventually, you'll run out of health, force, or patience.

A healer using a healer companion?

Yes, I noticed the Beast doesn't hit real hard, but as you dps him, don't miss a tenacle or you start all over, so its more about being ready for the "absorb" and saving your "project" for the tenacle. It took me about 5-6 rotations before I got him down, but that seems like the best combination for a sage healer. This means that you need to gear Cedrax though, so he has decent healing, and use his healing stance.

Maybe its my gear, 72/78 and my tank comp's gear 69/72 but I'm missing the hard part. its just a cpl simple mechanics to deal with.

Put your tank in DPS mode if he is geared better than Tharan.

This is roughly how I do it iirc

opening attacks would be mindcrush, ROCK, disturbance, forceproject. If your cooldowns are long, keep either your ROck or forceproject off of cooldown.

Now the Beast will start to absorb so use your Main Interrupt.(forget its name) trick is to catch it immediately which is not hard.

Go right back to doing dps using the same attacks making sure you have one of those ranged insta cast attacks on cooldown.

Its also obvious when he summons a tentacle, so notice it and immediately kill the tentacle to stop the beast from absorbing health from it.

Just repeat that until he is dead.

I dont bother trying to avoid or stop that knockback, I just run back up to him and force sprint if im out of range.

As Karmaforce just demonstrated, there is more than one way to beat the boss.

I would like to clarify a few technical points that I have observed.

The boss has three attacks.

Obliterate- this attack will push you back and can be interrupted BUT DON'T DO IT!

Extract- you will take damage from this and it lasts a long time so interrupt immediately.

Absorb- this is the tentacle spawn and he sends a beam to the tentacle with about a 5 second cast time. I don't believe anything happens during the cast time so you have time to target and kill the tentacle. As long as you kill the tentacle before the cast finishes, you should be good. After absorb finishes he seems to add about half is total health back. I would stand near Cedrax so I could drop my area heal when I had time, but I liked keeping the Beast targeted to follow his attacks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weird, I wouldnt dream of refering to him as a challenge so was this a bug or something? He has gone down super quick every time I've faced him on sorc/sage. I'm always using Nadia or Ashara.

Doesnt even sound like a gear issue.

Edited by MidichIorian

I killed the boss being in a pretty bad gear for 2.0 (Black Hole + some Rakata, used the Oricon mission to upgrade the gear). My advice - respec to a DPS tree, forget about heals at all (can use Heroic Moment or cast instant heals for yourself tops), use dps/tank companion. Be sure that the companion is geared at least to 58 (use planetary comms to buy Makeb gears). I'd say if you or your companion have less than 20k HP, don't even bother with Oricon solo (mostly the missions there are a gear check, no particular skills are required). I've tried to heal through Oricon missions and failed, respeccing to DPS allowed me to finish everything except last solo mission (it's definitely a gear check, after getting full Artifact gear the boss became a piece of cake).

Was a real pain for me, I typically run as healing spec and with Nadia as a companion because she's easy to gear with hand-me-downs.

As others stated the key is to interrupt Extract and kill tentacles, once you get the hang of that it's pretty easy, if not particularly fast. To the extent that it's hard it's a matter of not having a lot of spare time on your ability cooldowns, so if you miss the timing at all it's bad news. The wide area that the tentacles spawn in can also make target acquisition a bit of a pain.

If you don't have things like Target of Target and Focus Target set up on your display interface consider doing that. As a healer you'll be switching targets more than a DPS or Tank would but you still really want to be able to see a castbar for Extract somewhere on your screen.

It's very easy to run out to reset the encounter if you want to, if things don't seem to be going well on an attempt a reset is probably your best option.

• 2 weeks later...

Just fyi Jolt Does Not Work. This boss has the icon that tells you you cannot interrupt it.

It spawns a weak tentacle kill it. As for not learning all skill to max level...that is just weak and please if you do this NEVER ENTER A BG!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally giving up after 6 tries, it's just not worth the pain or effort. This boss is ridiculously hard for melee classes, by the time you see the tentacle and run to it he sacrifices it. No one in general chat seems to want to group up either to help or make it easier. Oh well. *shrug*

Edit: Tried it out on my Trooper and he went down in under 45 seconds. Being ranged gives you huge advantage on this guy, but I just can't for the life of me beat it with a melee character.

Edited by DaShuk

Kill the tentacle, interrupt his channeling heal. You just have to make sure to save your project CD for the tentacle and it should be ok. first time in there as 66/69ish geared Sorc I wiped with Treek, then i figured it out and it was easy. Second time in there was fine, third time I screwed up and had to wait through a cycle to get my rotation down and all CDs available. You can't solo brute force it.

• 7 months later...
If you are a healer you should run with a DPS companion and be the "tank", this way you generally only have to heal yourself.

Agreed. After 3 attempts with Qyzen, I let him die instead of running out and focused on healing myself and hitting the interrupt on the boos/killing the tentacles. After he casts obliterate and throws you to the ground, he will immediately drain you with Extract so dont even wait. The minute you get up, hit that interrupt and go back to casting. Use your dots on the boss, and use tab to change target and throw rocks, or whatever instant cast ability you feel like on the tentacles. They should be an instant kill. Keep your hots on yourself and your force armor and you should be fine. It took me a while but I made it and I'm not in the best gear.

I have to ask: why are you being hit with obliterate? As far as I can tell it has a 25m range while sage attacks like telekinetic throw are 30m. Inch forward until your attacks first light up and then send in your companion. Interrupt the extract, keep the companion healed and bubbled, and kill the tentacle when it spawns. About the only time you should be in range of obliterate is if the tentacle spawns out of range from where you started.