Character name change question?

skarvika

As overpriced as I think it is, I'm considering buying it. I want to know if it's reusable...it says there's a 30 day cooldown, so I'm imagining you'll be able to use it once a month, which I'm hoping is true, but I don't want to spend 10$ and just use up an item like that.:rak_02:

I'd say its one change mate - they don't want people chopping and changing names so they have priced it at a prohibitive price so that we now have the name change option but they really don't want many taking up that option.

I'd say its one change mate - they don't want people chopping and changing names so they have priced it at a prohibitive price so that we now have the name change option but they really don't want many taking up that option.

Hm, shame. Guess I'll get it and post results here as a "for the record" thing if anyone else is wondering.:)

• Dev Post

Hi there skarvika!

The tooltip for Renames seem to indicate that the item can be reused and has a cooldown. However, renames are consumable items, and name changes can only be applied once every 30 days. Sorry for any confusion; we are going to look at clarifying the tooltip in the future.

On a side note to clear up another question: one free Character Name Change will be given to each subscriber account at a later date, but this is not yet available.

On a side note to clear up another question: one free Character Name Change will be given to each subscriber account at a later date, but this is not yet available.

That was supposed to be in November, with 1.5 and then again today, with 2.1. Mr. Musco said that there were "issues" with the Free Name change being implemented, so I'm wondering if we'll be waiting a half year again?

Hi there skarvika!

The tooltip for Renames seem to indicate that the item can be reused and has a cooldown. However, renames are consumable items, and name changes can only be applied once every 30 days. Sorry for any confusion; we are going to look at clarifying the tooltip in the future.

Alright, thanks for the reply!:) Good to know we'll be getting one eventually.

Hi there skarvika!

a later date? when? we've been waiting an awful long time for name changes....... if it is a consumable item how hard is it to write some code that 1) checks if the character belongs to a subscribed account and 2) mails that character the rename thingy. its not rocket science

a later date? when? we've been waiting an awful long time for name changes....... if it is a consumable item how hard is it to write some code that 1) checks if the character belongs to a subscribed account and 2) mails that character the rename thingy. its not rocket science

I assume we'll be getting it very soon since the basic feature has already been implemented. I sure hope so...kinda bored with my current name.:(

Lol wait...you can BUY a name change...but the free one is scheduled at a later date...?

I don't even...

Lol wait...you can BUY a name change...but the free one is scheduled at a later date...?

I don't even...

I feel bad for all the subs that spent 10$ on it...:( The price is ridiculous, especially when there's no telling if the name you'd want is available...

Edit: I know some people love to belt out "WELL WARCRAFT DOES IT" like that's some kind of excuse, but before that happens, I'd like to state that an mmo that manages to lose over 1 million people in just one month alone should not be the example to follow.

Edited by skarvika

I feel like it's bait and switch. Those who really wanted a name change probably payed for it. If and when they get it free, it will be useless. This was a planned money grab.

Shame this keeps happening to a decent game with so much potential.

I just love how these companies can post it as a selling point all over(http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates) to be exact. And not deliver. They want the money from people wanting the free one for subbing, but dont want us to actually have it in game yet, to boost sales in the store for it. LOTRO did the same thing to boost sales for ROI they posted an all new PVMP area was coming, then just never mentioned it again. After sales went up, and they didnt put out, they just ignored they ever said it. These are sleazy advertising gimmicks and we need to start standing up for ourselves. We dont HAVE to pay for this stuff. But if people continue to pay, the company just wins. I am floored at how much better this game is than other MMO's but since I have joined, its slowly going down hill, and getting pricier. Im not knit picking, I justifiably mad at being lied to, whether some feel its futile or as important to me, its lying and is unfair and illegal. If you bought a product off a shelf that said free pack of gum inside, and there was no gum, as small as gum is, you could still sue them. Just saying. :rak_03:

I just love how these companies can post it as a selling point all over(http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates) to be exact. And not deliver. They want the money from people wanting the free one for subbing, but dont want us to actually have it in game yet, to boost sales in the store for it. LOTRO did the same thing to boost sales for ROI they posted an all new PVMP area was coming, then just never mentioned it again. After sales went up, and they didnt put out, they just ignored they ever said it. These are sleazy advertising gimmicks and we need to start standing up for ourselves. We dont HAVE to pay for this stuff. But if people continue to pay, the company just wins. I am floored at how much better this game is than other MMO's but since I have joined, its slowly going down hill, and getting pricier. Im not knit picking, I justifiably mad at being lied to, whether some feel its futile or as important to me, its lying and is unfair and illegal. If you bought a product off a shelf that said free pack of gum inside, and there was no gum, as small as gum is, you could still sue them. Just saying. :rak_03:

You're right. They always respond to each of my tickets within the hour, but since linking that page in my latest ticket it's been hours without a response. The last two were met with "We are unable to assist with name changes". My arguement beign of course, well you promised it for subbing.

Just so I don't spend another 1000 cartel coins for nothing, is the 30 day cooldown per character or account?

Sorry mate, it's a one time use item, so make it count.:D If you're a sub, I'd just wait it out though until the free one is implemented. Your cc would probably be best spent on something else.

I agree with you on all fronts; I really enjoy the game itself, but the business tactics could do with some fixing. Management has never been EA's strong suit, and it's the main reason many gamers unanimously consider them to be the worst game company. I personally don't ,as EA does put out quite a few quality games, but the business management is just terrible. The Cartel Market is a good system to have, but to put items up at such outrageous prices, especially when they were originally promised for free, is just a slap in the face to the players.

I'm going to put my faith in the company for a while longer however, they seem to be at least making an attempt to listen to the players lately. This last update has seemingly been a big mess though on all fronts...I do enjoy the appearance customization feature though... :csw_yoda:

How hard is it to add an unclaimed item in the market section on every account that is marked as subscriber? That's a dick move, saying "well, we'll give you one, just at some later date" and we don't know which date it is, so we have to stay subbed?

Hey where is BW's address? I got a few pennies I want to toss at you guys. You certainly wouldn't say no to money.

How hard is it to add an unclaimed item in the market section on every account that is marked as subscriber? That's a dick move, saying "well, we'll give you one, just at some later date" and we don't know which date it is, so we have to stay subbed?

Hey where is BW's address? I got a few pennies I want to toss at you guys. You certainly wouldn't say no to money.

That's actually a very good point. Why not just give subs the name change item via mail, like the items for pre-ordering Rise Of The Hutt Cartel? I think most people would be fine with that. :)

That's actually a very good point. Why not just give subs the name change item via mail, like the items for pre-ordering Rise Of The Hutt Cartel? I think most people would be fine with that. :)

I don't think it works by mail, because if the account is flagged to receive any mail, all characters receive it. However, if they could just add an unclaimed item (name change) in your cartel market panel, then it could be claimed by any character and only once.

But, it looks too damn complicated, so maybe they'll save the free rename when you buy the next expansion as a subscriber.

Edited by lpsmash

I don't think it works by mail, because if the account is flagged to receive any mail, all characters receive it. However, if they could just add an unclaimed item (name change) in your cartel market panel, then it could be claimed by any character and only once.

But, it looks too damn complicated, so maybe they'll save the free rename when you buy the next expansion as a subscriber.

Ay, hope it's not that long...