Class Feedback

Lvl 35 commando Gunnery spec and I am on the verge of deleting this character over the state of its overall pvp performance.

1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes?

An easy kill but can be dangerous in a 1v1 situations wiht some classes but is utterly useless against juggs / maras in pvp.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

for PVE i was enjoying it, but in pvp it seems the further i go up the level ladder (lvl 35 now) the more useless it's becoming. despite supplying the character with the best possible equipment for the level via other characters with armstech and armortech skills.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a Gunnery Commando in both PvP and PvE first of all. I love the class, not sure why alot of the time but I've spent alot of time on him and its my only 50 at the moment and I've played since early access.

1. In PvE I dont think my dps can be beat by any other class. I always hear other guys say that we never get top DPS and other classes do so much more. Well, I've been on alot of raids, low end all the way up and I have not been beaten yet. So for PvE I say its working just fine for me.

PvP hmm, where to start. I'm V80 mostly coming from pre 1.2. If a melee gets on you, your in some serious trouble. Almost all of the usefull abilities a Gunnery Commando has can be interupted, you can manage a little but I said almost all. Defensive abilities in PvP are far lacking compared to other classes. Gunnery at the current time is just not a PvP class.

A few ideas you might could look at.

1. Make Reactive Shield a 40% damage reduction for 10 seconds. Up from 25% reduction and down in time from 12 to 10 seconds.

2. Adrenaline Rush on a 2 minute timer down from 3 minutes. 10% health regeneration over 10 seconds down from 15% regeneration.

3. Kolto Recharge in the Gunnery tree to grant 10% health over 10 seconds up from 7%.

4. Cover Fire in the Gunnery spec tree also add in a reduction of time on Cryo Grenade. 1 point into Cover Fire reducing activation time from 1 minute to 45 seconds and 2 points reducing time to 30 seconds.

I believe just making these minor changes or at least a few of them would make a world of difference in the long run.

Thanks ;)

(i actively play all specs of commando, so i'll answer each separately)

Combat Medic:

1. in both PVE and PVP, views seem to be polarized.

some really like commando heals while others feel it is completely out-classed by scoundrels as a single-target healer or by sages in general because salvation heals more people.

generally, raid groups i join utilize one sage and one scoundrel or commando, so a sage will always have priority over the other two.

2. i really enjoy playing as a combat medic and feel it is entirely viable. i feel that combat medics lack utility, however.

Gunnery:

1. in PVE, i think others perceive my class outputs a lot of damage and is very easy to reach its potential dps compared to other classes.

in PVP, i think others perceive gunnery is absolutely useless

2. i agree that in PVE i can hit very high numbers and do so quite easily: i generally use only 6 attacks in a fairly repetitive rotation.

i feel that i have good utility in PVE, but lack somewhat in PVP utility

Assault:

1. perceived in PVP as very common, very squishy, lacking utility, and lacking burst damage

2. assault is my favorite spec to play, but i feel it is the least viable. it's not as mobile or as hard-hitting as i'd like for it to be in PVP. in PVE, my gunnery spec typically outclasses my assault DPS by a significant margin (between 10 and 20%)

I've played my commando in PvP/PvE, at 50, I've been playing mostly Assault but recently switched to Gunnery, with offspec as Medic on occasion

PvP In General : Squishy, no adequate defense, easy target in melee... "Use your interrupts? ... What, no interupts ?" Not wanted in Ranked Warzone to lack of utility... Barely made for Group PvP if nobody else from guild.

• PvP Assault : Good damage on the move.
  • PvP Gunnery: Good damage, but sitting duck.
  • PvP Medic: Easy to identify (green beam of death), a little harder to kill since self heal.

PvE In General : They like to have you around cuz of battle rez, (3rd healer) Overall good at everything. Good DPS, can heal, can survive if "Tanks" are down, etc... They expect you to save the fight if something goes bad and another character dies...

• PvE Assault: They'd prefer you on gunnery until they learn your dps is more than adequate. A great asset in general.
  • PvE Gunnery: Solid DPS.
  • PvE Medic: As second healer only, but useful and on the run...

PvP In General : I was Assault for the most part of being 50. I like PvP but I find that I am too squishy, not interrupt and difficult to stay alive in general.

• PvP Assault : Good damage on the move. Fun to play if you can survive. Can shine in Voidstar !!!
  • PvP Gunnery: Good damage, but sitting duck. Useless in my opinion."
  • PvP Medic: Easy to identify (green beam of death). They don't give enough credit for it's use in Hutball... follow the ball carrier and you can shine !!!

PvE In General : I like to be the 3rd option for everything... I find that the commando is dynamic and can turn the tide around when all hopes are over. You can shine in PvE by going the extra mile to make sure the fight succeed ! I like it a lot !

• PvE Assault: I like the rotation. I like the dynamics involved with it especially fighting Kephess... It's a solid dps on the move.
  • PvE Gunnery: The rotation is a little bit harder to maintain BUT the dps is much higher, I'm getting used to it and my DPS has greatly improved. I now like it a lot ! I
  • PvE Medic: As second healer only. Not as useful as a Scoundrel or the like. I like to do it, but I'm not as good at it as other are so I will do it for my guild if they need me to do it ;)

And now... my questions to me and you :

3. How do you think Bioware perceived your Commando spec ?

I think that Bioware doesn't understand what is going on with Commando in PvP because they don't play the class that much. Heavy Armor, DPS and Commando ? should'nt die that easily in melee. You need to do something to resurrect this class in PvP. All characters should be fun to play in PvP and should have a reasonable amount of success at it... With all that has been said, it's not only the player skills that are at stakes here... Something is wrong and need to be addressed ASAP :) by someone who knows the class.

I think the class is balanced in PvE. I've gotten good results in DPS compared to other classes (gunsligners, sentinel) who are usually strict DPS where we are utility dps.

The latest buff have addressed part of the issue, BUT PvP survival is an issue that needs to be corrected.

1. How do you think your Shadow spec is perceived by other classes?

Thank you!

Gunnery, PvP and PvE

- pros: sustained damage from range, aoe damage from range

- cons: depending on the team but a liability in PvP

- pros: fun game-play both PvP and PvE

- cons: miniscule and poor D/R, extremely easy prey in PvP, to much focus on HiB and in general poor sound / visual effects

I am a level 40 full gunnery skilled commando.

I started playing this toon about one month ago.

I posted a forum thread recently "Commando in PVP" and received the responses to quit, give up, start over as a smuggler. I really enjoy my trooper and don't have the time to start over. I will not give up on him. Bioware can make this class usable and competitive to the other classes with some good input from the players who also love their commando.

1.How do you think your Shadow spec is perceived by other classes?

This class is not good in a 1 vs 1 combat. Always have to allocate another to guard a point. I can see how this class will not be favorable in the ranked warzones because it is easy to interrupt and shutdown. (Told to re-roll as stated above)

Difficult to keep melee class at a distance. Once in melee range it is easy to interrupt and kill us.

As I haven't played ranked warzones yet, I have heard that my class are not welcomed which is discouraging.

Wish I had a little more dps in flashpoints and a way to keep the mobs off my ranged dps class,

I have learned that if you complain about a problem, you should be ready to provide a solution.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Allow pulse cannon to be fired while moving to allow more mobility at close combat. Similar to the Bounty Hunter flame thrower.

2. Allow concussion charge to have a root. Many times I have knocked back a Jedi to only have him right back on me. The root allows some ability to counter the melee ability to close quickly to its target. A 3 sec root would be nice with a 25% 3 sec slow after root broken.

3. Make full auto be uninterpretable like the Jedi Guardian master strike. This is one of our key skills, but any hit will cause it to stop and makes it pointless to use unless at range. (Also maybe give the full auto a little more damage as well)

4. Allow stock strike to have an interrupt similar to the Jedi Guardian force kick.

5. Up the protection of defensive shield to give the commando gunnery spec some survivability in those tight moments.

Lastly, I don't play a combat medic, but have seen them in warzones. Get rid of the green beam. I just says to all around "Here I am Kill me please".

I am glad to see a post that may bring some change to this class to make it more capable in the game.

Thank you

I play a Combat Medic.

I feel like I am looked down upon as the bottom of the barrel of healers. Without many of the AoE healing abilities that the Sawbones Smugglers and Seers have, I have to work a bit harder to keep everyone afloat at one time. Bosses with powerful AoE attacks are something that Combat Medics truly fear. In PvE, that's a big problem sometimes.

In PvP, it's not as much of a factor, but the giant green beam can really hurt me. It instantly makes me a target and there's not real way to hide it or be sneaky about it unless I'm 3 metres or less from my target.

I enjoy the gameplay and the look (other than the assault cannon, which I do not use).

In PvE, I feel like I can generally do just fine. As mentioned before, it certainly seems like I have to work harder than some of the other classes. One of my best friends in-game plays a Sawbones and she can throw up her kolto packs to heal people over time while she focuses on other targets, which is something that I can't do. Seers clearly have the advantage with Salvation, which heals a great deal of people at once. I'd certainly like to be able to have either HoT abilities or more AoE heals. My suggestion would be to give Kolto Bomb a HoT in addition to the Kolto Residue that it leaves on the targets.

In PvP, I can put up the numbers, but I can usually get outshined by a good Sawbones that stays consistent with just throwing out those kolto probes on anyone that walks by. It may not be the biggest heal, but it certainly gives them a bit of an advantage, especially in Huttball where the Smuggler can lose line of sight and still be healing someone. In matches like Novare Coast, Voidstar, and Alderaan, Seers have an incredible advantage over me by being able to throw down a giant healing circle near the target (door, turret, or bunker) and rack up good healing points that way. I can throw out a bunch of Kolto Bombs, but I don't feel like it gives me the numbers that Salvation gives Seers. I will admit that Kolto Residue does make my Kolto Bomb a pretty good utility for the team since it increases their healing received from any healer.

All in all, I think we need some adjustments to put us more on par with everyone else. A few tweaks to some of our existing abilities would be very helpful, especially some kind of HoT from Kolto Bomb.

I suppose I might as well pitch in, even if it's a bit late. I'm a gunnery spec PvE commando with the standard 5/31/5 build.

Aside from being rejected/booted from a Lost Island HM group a couple of times a while back on the basis I lacked an interrupt, just fine. I'd say we're still somewhat regarded as two-button facerollers, but that's still got some truth in it. Damage wise, I don't think we're perceived as any less viable than other classes.

The little smuggler who couldn't: I feel like commandos were intended to be akin to gunslingers and snipers, in the sense that they'd set up in a largely fixed position and do their best damage whilst stationary, whilst being able to keep enemies at range. Since I haven't done any PvP in a while I won't comment on that, but for PvE I feel like we just lack versatility compared to other classes. Utility wise, there isn't really anything we bring that others can't do better and the lack of an interrupt personally makes me feel like a liability whenever I'm doing content that requires one, which is quite frequently.