So, about skipping Kotfe-Kotet..

DarthCasus

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been stated on the livestream if we can skip to the new content this fall? Are the new planet and dailies going to be gated behind 2 expansions worth of content?

No they haven't, but considering Iokath perhaps we'll have to go through the traitor arc first or just go straight to 5.10

...... then you should let the game be completely. If you can create a char and even mark the romances etc. Why then play?:rolleyes: I'm in favor of skipping Kotfe + Kotet. But then people should also live with what is given to them.

The issue is having to play it multiple times to get to the few significant parts. It's far too much, especially with the horrible mechanics they implemented to drag chapters on. It's a shame too, because the atmosphere and art used to create each of these chapters is awesome. I'd even have liked the Vaylin party chapter if they turn sprint on and allowed us to run whichever comp we wanted but switched to Theron for the cutscenes. But we don't have those.

So many things can help alleviate the issue and I don't think we should roll over and take the negatives with a half thought out feature such as skipping. We'd use the tokens to reach the content we want to play. Many of us already playing said toons who are of level or gear range to tackle harder content or picking up with a traditional Imp vs Pub story line. I don't understand why you think a half thought out implementation is what we should keep.

They would have to build a "save editor" that fits into the game's UI. And then they'd have to make it bulletproof.

Anyone who was around for 4.x ought to remember how many bugs were related to "character flags being wonky." Nice idea, not gonna happen, at least not in any plausible world.

Decisions made in what I'm going to call "Betrayal of the Alliance" arc (Iokath through Nathema) have been confirmed to affect the next story arc by statements in the live stream discussing the Fall roadmap. It was asked if people who chose the cross faction options would truly cross faction, and the answer was "no, but that decision will affect things in the next story."

This would also be perfect for the level cap tokens (Master's Datacron). I discovered too late that when creating an alt to level cap with the token, it locks you out of all romance options and other character defining choices. It almost felt like a punishment for wanting to save myself a ton of time levelling a new toon up from 1 to 70. Had I known this beforehand, I probably wouldn't have spent the CC and would have just asked my wife level up the toon (unlike me, she loves levelling toons, and has 16 characters compared to my 5).

Master's Datacron let's you run all story. If you don't wan to do the content, just don't do it. You both want and don't want story? Don't understand what you're wanting/expecting here.

Master's Datacron let's you run all story. If you don't wan to do the content, just don't do it. You both want and don't want story? Don't understand what you're wanting/expecting here.

I should have clarified that I used the free level 60 character slot, which essentially auto-completes your class story, then I used the datacron (because I hate levelling) to get that toon the rest of the way to 70. At the end of it all, I was locked out of the important choices that help differentiate the character, in particular, romance options. In hindsight, I should have just used the datacron I guess so that I could go back and play through his class story for things like his love interest.

My point was to support the idea of giving us another mechanism for making key decisions in our character's story.

I should have clarified that I used the free level 60 character slot, which essentially auto-completes your class story, then I used the datacron (because I hate levelling) to get that toon the rest of the way to 70. At the end of it all, I was locked out of the important choices that help differentiate the character, in particular, romance options. In hindsight, I should have just used the datacron I guess so that I could go back and play through his class story for things like his love interest.

My point was to support the idea of giving us another mechanism for making key decisions in our character's story.

Using the Master's Datacron to skip those 10 levels seems an extravagant use of CCs (your own or someone else's). Admittedly, I own a suit of the Fast Level armor that was a DvL reward, but still...

Using the Master's Datacron to skip those 10 levels seems an extravagant use of CCs (your own or someone else's). Admittedly, I own a suit of the Fast Level armor that was a DvL reward, but still...

I had purchased it a while back, but ended up never using it. Since it was just gathering dust in my bank, and my time is valuable to me, it was an obvious choice.

No I didn't. I asked why the studio made the insta 60s without options for previous character choices. What a waste.

The insta 60 was created so that you could quickly jump into KOTFE if you did not have a character high enough to play or if you did not want to risk your main characters yet. That is the only reason it was created. You were tolled that you would get NOTHING and would have no chance to get ANYTHING from your class missions or anything else. As far as I know it is still the same you get a level 60 character with NOTHING>..... Want a character with the whole story and everything done?.... Then Start One at Level "1".....Enjoy.

Edited by denavin

i don't support that wish, because choices should matter!

but i do understand you, but let me explain my position.

when i started playing swtor, i was forced to play the class story. of course this was entertaining,

but starting the game, my first goal was, to reach max level. so during this time, i would skip

the story, for a faster leveling. but all these class stories built a positiv view on swtor, because they

did the extra mile, writing this different stories, each class, with differences by your choices.

but yes! i was thankfull for getting the option to skip all that with a simple token and the most

chars i have are made with these.

but if i would start right now, i don't know if there would be any incentive, to play the story even once.

so there are only small incentives to play the story and maybe enjoy it. of course they are much

higher with the classic story, then the new storylines.

it is the same with kotfe and kotet. at the first time i enjoyed playing the new story,

the second time it was okay, too. and i really can understand, that you get bored, playing

it on and on; me too. and at first, i hated it, to be forced playing it so often, just to unlock

the eternal championship, when it was released with the special competition. so i'm totally with you,

that skipping story is a great thing, for player with some more toons.

but even here, i would not want the possibility to pick up the raisins of the story,

without playing it. this would downgrade the story, because playing it, you maybe

would not choose a option just to get a romance or a companion. so there should be a

small disadvantage for them, using the fast and easy way. i did that a lot and i'm fine with that.

but of course, i can understand your position.

but again...

if i could skip makeb, to unlock every h2 mission, i would do so.

if i could skip yavin 4, to unlock it, i would do so, too.

and at the end i would have skipped everything, just to use the

mmo-part of the game, not knowing, that there are great storylines

in the game, what would change my mind towards the game itself.

and because of this, i'm against a free choice with skipping everything.

the choice to skip the story should really matter. and the way they did

that now, is fine (for me).

Edited by fabsus

The insta 60 was created so that you could quickly jump into KOTFE if you did not have a character high enough to play or if you did not want to risk your main characters yet. That is the only reason it was created. You were tolled that you would get NOTHING and would have no chance to get ANYTHING from your class missions or anything else. As far as I know it is still the same you get a level 60 character with NOTHING>..... Want a character with the whole story and everything done?.... Then Start One at Level "1".....Enjoy.

Really? I had no idea... :rolleyes: Congrats on missing the point of the suggestion, Captain Obvious.

Edited by kodrac

i don't support that wish, because choices should matter!

but i do understand you, but let me explain my position.

when i started playing swtor, i was forced to play the class story. of course this was entertaining,

but starting the game, my first goal was, to reach max level. so during this time, i would skip

the story, for a faster leveling. but all these class stories built a positiv view on swtor, because they

did the extra mile, writing this different stories, each class, with differences by your choices.

but yes! i was thankfull for getting the option to skip all that with a simple token and the most

chars i have are made with these.

but if i would start right now, i don't know if there would be any incentive, to play the story even once.

The incentive would still be there. It's the experience. But I'm talking about skipping the two expansions which are massive drains of time, unlike the class stories which are widely known to be the best content in the game. If someone has played through them 0 times, BioWare found it reasonable to allow them to not only skip it all with tokens but also implement datacrons to allow you to play through it all with a maxed toon from the start (makes little difference with the easiness of the game now but it's something!)

so there are only small incentives to play the story and maybe enjoy it. of course they are much

higher with the classic story, then the new storylines.

The incentive is there and will remain there. No one is talking about new players taking the option, I've played through each class story a good 30+ times to the end of SoR. I thoroughly enjoyed each toon (that survived) and would love to bring the rest to the end-point after Iokath but 2 expansions are stopping about 27 toons from doing so because I have to waste any off time I have replaying the same garbage to make significant choices that the defaults would otherwise screw up. I'm at the point where I'd just stop playing if all rather than go through Kotfe-Kotet after my 4 finished runs and I don't want to quit. See? Issue is the new story's progression, not the old. :)

it is the same with kotfe and kotet. at the first time i enjoyed playing the new story,

the second time it was okay, too. and i really can understand, that you get bored, playing

it on and on; me too. and at first, i hated it, to be forced playing it so often, just to unlock

the eternal championship, when it was released with the special competition. so i'm totally with you,

that skipping story is a great thing, for player with some more toons.

but even here, i would not want the possibility to pick up the raisins of the story,

without playing it. this would downgrade the story, because playing it, you maybe

would not choose a option just to get a romance or a companion. so there should be a

small disadvantage for them, using the fast and easy way. i did that a lot and i'm fine with that.

The expac stories ARE downgrades already. The goal of an MMO is constant change and progression. I could toally see them implementing some sort of skip in 2 expansions that cover all of this JUST because they know that old content is OLD but their main selling points were the initial class stories. Everything else afterwards was gravy. RotHC. Skippable, no consequence. SoR. Skippable, few titles to scores for Yavin completion but you could 'recover' for Kotfe when it comes to romances. Kotfe-Kotet. Skippable, leaves you on Iokath with not even a menu for the Alliance, no recruit missions available (initially) and majority of choices for who LIVES AND DIES is decided for you. :rak_02:

but of course, i can understand your position.

Only some aspects, it seems.

but again...

if i could skip makeb, to unlock every h2 mission, i would do so.

Totally different goal to begin with. Who skips hours of content to run heroics?

if i could skip yavin 4, to unlock it, i would do so, too.

You can. We have the tokens. As for the dailies, I'm honestly not sure if it unlocks automatically once you start the expacs but they lock you out of doing any previous mainline stories so I'd imagine they do.

and at the end i would have skipped everything, just to use the

mmo-part of the game, not knowing, that there are great storylines

in the game, what would change my mind towards the game itself.

And that's your choice. I'm sure if you were to complain to reddit or the forums about being at endgame with nothing to do, someone would inevitably ask if you did all of the stories if you don't mention it. I don't know anyone who at this point in the game's life would spend any money on skipping content without having touched the class stories at all.

and because of this, i'm against a free choice with skipping everything.

the choice to skip the story should really matter. and the way they did

that now, is fine (for me).

There shouldn't have to be repercussions for skipping a widely panned expansion or two. There's plenty of reasons why there would be a slow bleed of players and putting restrictions on future content because of a series of poor choices by the developer won't help retain much at all.

Personally, I don't want to skip the whole of either expansion, but I would dearly love to skip individual chapters. There are some chapters I really enjoy, and others I hate with a passion. "Dragon's Maw" comes to mind. I have one character stalled at the start of that one. I'd rather go to the dentist than play through that dreck again, but I will have to if I ever want to get to later content that I do want to play through with him.

I strongly disagree that people should skip KOTFE/KOTET, but if you're the kind of player who has replayed these over and over again... perhaps there should be a way around this.

Across my 28 toons, I started the KOTFE/KOTET storyline on 8 of those, and I have only finished it with 2 so far. I wish I had never started it with any, to be honest. Or maybe just with some forgotten alts that I don't play with. I do not intend to start that storyline AT ALL with the rest of my 20 toons, and I don't see myself finishing the 6 I have already left unfinished. If anything, I strongly disagree with NOT skipping KOTFE/KOTET.

Personally, I don't want to skip the whole of either expansion, but I would dearly love to skip individual chapters. There are some chapters I really enjoy, and others I hate with a passion. "Dragon's Maw" comes to mind. I have one character stalled at the start of that one. I'd rather go to the dentist than play through that dreck again, but I will have to if I ever want to get to later content that I do want to play through with him.

+1

skipping individual chapters sounds like an awesome idea and maybe a good compromise (instead of skipping the whole expansion)

I finished KOTFE/KOTET on 3 chars now, 2 others are in the middle of KOTFE and oh boy it sure can be a drag... some chapters I actually enjoy everytime (Into The Void) or are interesting for certain classes but others I hate dearly (Dragon's Maw as well or Visions in the Dark, Wrath & Ruin, End Times)

+1

skipping individual chapters sounds like an awesome idea and maybe a good compromise (instead of skipping the whole expansion)

Yeah as long as you've already completed the whole KOTFE/ET story with at least 1 character, it could be nice to be able to skip some chapters on other characters.

i'd probably skip Kaliyo's chapter very often

I'm a KOTFE/KOTET fan/defender, and even I can say that after repeating it many times it gets very tedious to bring new alts through because it's almost identical every. single. time. It's been fun for me to see the differences with Sith/Jedi Commanders, and I like seeing the different KOTFE Alliance Alerts and the way those companions react, but that's not enough to want to slog through the same exact 25 chapters again and again and again.

And lest anyone use this as ammunition to slam KOTFE/KOTET, I feel the same way about Makeb, the story side of Oricon, Ilum. I LIKE that content. I like some of it a lot. But after playing through it so many times and getting the max reputation, it can be a bit boring.

It's like watching a favorite TV show. Most of the time even if you love the show and the actors, you don't want to watch the same episode over and over again. You want them to release new episodes.

What?

You probably do not want to understand. :rolleyes:

You are welcome to skip everything.

Then live with the final decisions that the system automatically makes for you. :rolleyes:

If you already have tens of thousands of chars, it should not really matter.

For laziness you should not be rewarded. Since I do not care how many chars have been pulled through by Kotfe / kotet.

I already got 18 through and? If I want a story where I want to make my own decisions, I play them another 18 times.