Alacrity for the Deception/ Hatred Assassin

Erlvist

What purpose does alacrity have now that melee dps no longer have any channeled abilites?

I've gotten 3 purples from command crates (yes i know, probably winning the lottery), a headpiece with set bonus, an implant and a main hand. All have alacrity, where i used to have crit.

My question is, is alacrity at all necessary for a melee dps in 5.0? I used to stack crit on my sin in 4.0 and if I equip these pieces of gear, I replace them all with crit. Is there really a point? I don't really see the point of alacrity for a melee dps anymore, if anyone could elaborate that would be great.

I usually main a tank, so dps stats isn't really my forte. I'm just wondering seeing that pretty much all the gear I've gotten from command crates thus far have had alacrity.

Not sure which is more sad, people who think alacrity benefits only casters, or people who thought that sin dps had casted abilities (that should be used anywhere besides precast).

This made me lol, thank you for saying it.

to the OP the answer is yes alacrity is still very good.

The same as it had in 3.0 and 4.0. Alacrity is hands down one of the best stat in game. It reduces your CD and the GCD allowing you to hit more in the same amount of time and let you use Potency more often.

i'd say if you were pure power adding a bit is fine and same for pure crit but not if your running a crit/power build any body ever done the math ?

• 2 weeks later...
It depends on your uptime I would think. From a strictly wz perspective alacrity can work very well, but remember that playing a melee dps in pvp basically ensures you won't have 100% target uptime if your opponents are decent. Alacrity is far less valuable if you aren't maintaining a high degree of uptime.

Ok, so I think it should probably be specified if we are talking PVE or PVP here. My guess is that we are talking PVP due to OP's mindset regarding alacrity, in which case he would be correct in thinking that alac is not so great. Alacrity is great when you can have near 100% uptime with no disruptions to your rotation. Otherwise...not so much. Edited by teclado