1.4: New font feedback

Rhesus_TOR

Man you know you are bored when you complain about font size...

Agree with everyone though, noticed it rather instantly when I had to do my skill tree again. I can still read the letters fine, but it gives me a damn headache and I had to even lean closer to the screen to notice a few things. It's really one of those stupid small things that is waaay down the list of importance, but still annoying nonetheless.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't read alien subtitled speak anymore , so I have to look at the 'other' chat window ( as that font seems readable ) and therefore can not read general chat much. Also I can't read the tiny white writing below each mission on the right of my screen. Not a really good update on those I believe. Can you fix it please ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Since 1.4 my eyes are in pain T_T I bet it's the font! The text in the chat is also moving when you're mousing over the letters or typing something in the chat box. It's small movement, but it does act 'shaky'.

Yes, I have noticed this too. The entire text in chat shifts when you type each letter in the text field.

I'm not impressed with any of the font changes. The shadows mostly look like crap, and I run on high graphics settings.

I'm with you. Most of the time, the shadow makes it look like the text is 'glitched' slightly. And anecdotal reports of it causing framerate issues.

Can we at least get some of the 'community team' to comment on this??

Either a 'sorry you aren't impressed, but you just have to suck it up and deal with it' or 'we're sorry, we'll reverse this ridiculous change in the next downtime'???

Can we at least get some of the 'community team' to comment on this??

Either a 'sorry you aren't impressed, but you just have to suck it up and deal with it' or 'we're sorry, we'll reverse this ridiculous change in the next downtime'???

+1. Can we add this to the (growing) list of undocumented patch notes? At least so we know if we are having to suck up and deal with glitchy fonts for the rest of our lives?

+1. Can we add this to the (growing) list of undocumented patch notes? At least so we know if we are having to suck up and deal with glitchy fonts for the rest of our lives?

I agree with the updating of patch notes. It's sloppy at best.

As for the font...pfft. Big deal. I'm sure there was a reason, even if it was the UI guy just trying to prolong his career.

Man you know you are bored when you complain about font size...

Agree with everyone though, noticed it rather instantly when I had to do my skill tree again. I can still read the letters fine, but it gives me a damn headache and I had to even lean closer to the screen to notice a few things. It's really one of those stupid small things that is waaay down the list of importance, but still annoying nonetheless.

No no ... this is not one of those small things. If you don't have the best vision this can actually make the game nearly unplayable.

So we have this "quality of life" "improvement" which makes things harder to read + "shadow optimizations" "improvements" which cause stuttering and frame rate drop = not impressed at all by this patch. :rolleyes:

I agree with the updating of patch notes. It's sloppy at best.

As for the font...pfft. Big deal. I'm sure there was a reason, even if it was the UI guy just trying to prolong his career.

I'm sorry, but prolonging the UI guy's career is not reason enough. Hopefully he's not the same guy that thought the original unadjustable UI was the best thing since sliced bread.... but I'm sure he is:X

For those of us with diminishing eyesight... this is a big deal! I'd like to be able to read the same stuff I could read with no trouble on the 25th. Whatever the reason, unless it was some type of exploit, nothing justifies the negative impact on players w/ less than perfect vision!

It would be cool to be able to select the font you want from a handful of choices. :D

THIS

I wouldn't say the new font gives me any serious problems, but I do find it a bit more difficult to read. If you're going to change the font on us, why not at least give us the option to go back to the old style or the ability to choose from several options? That way, we can at least customize and pick what works best for us.

If the text is either too blurry/grainy, etc you need to adjust the Anti-Alias settings for your video card. The in-game option sometimes works, and sometimes does not, you might have to manually force the card to be at a certain Anti-Alias setting. Raise and lower it until the font looks "clear".

Apparently we're stuck w/ the much smaller fonts, as there has been NO acknowledgement of an issue from BW or the 'community support team'.

I guess it doesn't matter that some of your subscribers can't read the much smaller text. After all this is a video game, not a book... so no big deal:X

They can't even give us a reason for making the change!

Well I would like some comment from someone at Bioware on this , as it is , it's very difficult to read whilst playing on a widescreen tv , it's even worse than when the game came out and that was very hard to read. My partially sighted friend ( who I have to read all the alien speak to , live and on the fly ) and I are finding it very frustrating indeed.

Can we at least get an option to increase all the fonts in the game ? ( as if anyone at Bioware will answer my question lol )

Well I tried , I guess its back to squinting then.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Guys, I figured it out.

I was playing a new character yesturday that I haven't touched for awhile and his UI was reset to default because of the patch if we all remember. He wasn't using the Custom UI that I was using just yet. I wasn't planning on playing him just doing stuff on the fleet and GTN and then I noticed the font problem everyone is having.

I see now what your talking about and it might have to do with the global scale. The 'Default' UI global scale seems to be built for someone with poor eye sight thats why I've always had my UI smaller because I don't need everything so big. I don't know what I'm at... .75 - .85 or something...

To me, it looks like something with the aspect ratio, like when you set your monitor in your Properties>Settings to something funky.

The 'Dafault' UI and font, to me, looks like when you get a new monitor and it isn't set to the native ratio. And when I switch to my Custom UI it's like.... "aahhh so that's what real life looks life."

I don't know...I'm playing with it now... lookin' for dat solution..

I'm curious to know if what we're noticing as a font change is related to the fps jitter with scaling nameplates as well. Disabling the nameplate scaling seems to band-aid the jitter issue but I'm wondering if there's some type of font anti-aliasing issues going on that are causing the poor font display and the fps jitter.

Just thought I would add an idea to the post to help get this issue resolved!