Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

--Grim--

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

Edited by --Grim--

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storlines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work becaues they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies... :D

I found the imprial side boring and one dimensional for the most part. Ok, I'm a slave i get it already, do

Like the republic side a lot more. The JAX moment is the single best moment in this game and by far the toughest choice i've seen

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I found the imprial side boring and one dimensional for the most part. Like the republic side a lot more.

The JAX moment is the single best moment in this game and by far the toughest choice i've seen

I..... almost cried.

>.>

<.<

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storlines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work becaues they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

I played a Jedi Shadow all the way to 50 and as far as levelling in MMO's go, I enjoyed it, even with the predictable twist near the end of the class quest line. Currently levelling a Bounty Hunter and gotten to the mid 20's and I must say, I've giggled more than I thought I would. The moustache on my Bounty Hunter and the voice acting are amazing.

Edited by Krashh

They could have tried to be more original and have less of a cliche based story for Jedi, but they failed immensely at that. And it doesnt help that 90% of the robes and armor for jedi look stupid as hell. Plus..the races for Jedi are boring...if there was Nautolan, Kaleesh or Kel Dor options I would roll a jedi in an instant...but I already have a human Mandalorian BH, I have had enough of humans..this is Star Wars.

They could have tried to be more original and have less of a cliche based story for Jedi, but they failed immensely at that. And it doesnt help that 90% of the robes and armor for jedi look stupid as hell. Plus..the races for Jedi are boring...if there was Nautolan, Kaleesh or Kel Dor options I would roll a jedi in an instant...but I already have a human Mandalorian BH, I have had enough of humans..this is Star Wars.

I like the jedi, it fits in for me exactly how i thought they would be. I also like the obi wan robe. Races i'd like to see more of.

Honest question.

Because being "the good guy" got old after about age 12

As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies... :D

Ol Luke Skywalker had a pretty good story.. "Luke, I am your father", "NOOOOO!", losing his hand and all that. Pretty dramatic stuff.

So the Devs couldn't come up with anything similar?

Edited by --Grim--

Ol Luke Skywalker had a pretty good story.. "Luke, I am your father", "NOOOOO!" and losing his hand and all that. Pretty dramatic stuff.

So the Devs couldn't come up with anything similar?

You want every Jedi Knight to have incestuous thoughts of his sister, get his hand cut off, and watch his already decaying father die in his arms?

Kinky.

It seems like the best storylines are for character archetypes we haven't seen a million times in a million other Star Wars properties.

You know exactly what to expect from a Jedi, so it can't seem fresh the way something like an Imperial Agent or Trooper can. Either of those (and to a lesser degree, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter... even Sith) are coming at the Star Wars setting from an angle we haven't really seen much (or at all).

I think that's why Republic seems less interesting. The two most popular classes are the character types we all know already.

It seems like the best storylines are for character archetypes we haven't seen a million times in a million other Star Wars properties.

You know exactly what to expect from a Jedi, so it can't seem fresh the way something like an Imperial Agent or Trooper can. Either of those (and to a lesser degree, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter... even Sith) are coming at the Star Wars setting from an angle we haven't really seen much (or at all).

I think that's why Republic seems less interesting. The two most popular classes are the character types we all know already.

I think to a certain degree that's true, which is probably why my favorite stories are commando, smuggler and imp agent. But 2 of 3 are still republic!

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I watched episode 1 the other day and I was surprised how interesting the characters were compared to the jedi in this. Making jokes all the time, getting angry pretty often, tricking people constantly, Qui-gon even immediately said "Are you an idiot?" the first time he met Jar Jar.

I never thought I'd refer to the starwars movies as a better way to do anything but there you have it. All in all the Jedi are too calm and straight laced and the overall story is a bit boring and pointless (at least for the first 20 levels). When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall. When I log into one of my jedi I think "why am I collecting chemicals?" or something like that.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.

I actually like the Jedi Knight story so far, just finished Chapter 1. Can't speak for the Consular though as I've only got to level 11. Personally I don't see what the issue is, to me it's no more boring than any of the Imperial story lines and I like all of them so far. *shrugs* Each to their own I guess.

If you go by episodes 1-3 maybe. Obiwan and Yoda were not party animals but there were not as tedious as Jedi in this game.

I find the Republic to be just as fun as the Empire. My Trooper is much more entertaining than my Bounty Hunter, and my Knight isn't as fun as my Warrior.

It's all a matter of opinion and personal preference. Also, it depends on how you play. If you go full Light/Dark BECAUSE of your faction, and not your character, you'll have a different experience and preference over somebody who follows a set personality.

Also, I tend to find a lot of the Dark Side choices on the Republic make more sense than many on the Imperial side. Of course, I'm biased because I can't bring myself to make a Dark Side character, I just don't like the options.

So, while you may not enjoy the Republic as much as the Empire, others feel differently.

When I log onto my sith I remember how I was going to force smash some guy who betrayed me's head into the wall.

Anyway that's my 2-cents.

To me that's sounds extremely bland, standard and juvenile. I'm not saying it is, just pointing out how people have much different opinions regarding the stories.