Playing after Lv 50

triputean

I reached level 50 last month and have done some of the opps and WZ and am quickly realising there is nothing to do, whats the point in doing the same missions over and over, to get better gear big woop. there has to be more or why do so many Lv 50s keep playing. i even tried ilum and what a waste of time that was. stayed on the planet for two hours in the battle area and nothing, the only fun is tatooine, getting an opps group together and causing havoc. there has to be more to this game surely.

Well, you're touching on one of the main subjects that has the SWTOR community really debating. You're not alone!

I think the devs recognized that "alting" is a very common form of gameplay that most MMO gamers like to do. To that end, I think they saw the Legacy System as a way to foster that sort of gameplay in a new and fresh way. Also, I think that they believed it would make up for the lack of gameplay variety at end game.

However, most of us (me included), see this as a missed opportunity. BioWare relaized it a bit too late and has been trying to develop more end game content while developing quality of life systems we all expected to be in at launch (ie: LFG system)

I reached level 50 last month and have done some of the opps and WZ and am quickly realising there is nothing to do,

For MOST people, I think it's safe to say the game begins at 50. That's when you are the exact same level as all your friends and you can really enjoy the game. Not everyone feels that way.

From your lack of interest in gearing up (AKA, PVE end-game) and also from having done "some" of the warzones (there's only 4), you sound either burned-out of MMOs or just not interested in end-game.

If you've played MMO end-game before, then you are burned out. Everything feels like a grind when you face MMO burnout. Nothing is as good as that first MMO you loved so dearly you thought about it in your sleep after PVPing or raiding for hours on end. Take a break from the game, minimum a few weeks. Don't think about TOR at all and only come back to it when a new patch or something interesting brings you back. The magic returns just like that.

If you've never reached max-level in an MMO before, you've never memorized every nook and cranny of a PVP area and you have never memorized the names and timings of all the boss mechanics in a raid... then you might be just one of those people that doesn't like end-game. You just want to see cool stuff, not grind until you are some kind of master. In which case, roll an alt to see a new class story (if that's interesting to you) or try another MMO. Afterall, a new MMO is a whole new world full of content you haven't seen yet.

For MOST people, I think it's safe to say the game begins at 50. That's when you are the exact same level as all your friends and you can really enjoy the game. Not everyone feels that way.

From your lack of interest in gearing up (AKA, PVE end-game) and also from having done "some" of the warzones (there's only 4), you sound either burned-out of MMOs or just not interested in end-game.

If you've played MMO end-game before, then you are burned out. Everything feels like a grind when you face MMO burnout. Nothing is as good as that first MMO you loved so dearly you thought about it in your sleep after PVPing or raiding for hours on end. Take a break from the game, minimum a few weeks. Don't think about TOR at all and only come back to it when a new patch or something interesting brings you back. The magic returns just like that.

If you've never reached max-level in an MMO before, you've never memorized every nook and cranny of a PVP area and you have never memorized the names and timings of all the boss mechanics in a raid... then you might be just one of those people that doesn't like end-game. You just want to see cool stuff, not grind until you are some kind of master. In which case, roll an alt to see a new class story (if that's interesting to you) or try another MMO. Afterall, a new MMO is a whole new world full of content you haven't seen yet.

Changing a few words here and there, this also sounds like advice for a drinking or drug problem. :D

Edited by arunav

I reached level 50 last month and have done some of the opps and WZ and am quickly realising there is nothing to do, whats the point in doing the same missions over and over, to get better gear big woop. there has to be more or why do so many Lv 50s keep playing. i even tried ilum and what a waste of time that was. stayed on the planet for two hours in the battle area and nothing, the only fun is tatooine, getting an opps group together and causing havoc. there has to be more to this game surely.

Nope. It's why SWTOR has had subscription troubles. The endgame is rather limited, though I enjoy 50 PvP (it takes some time to get geared for it, though). If raiding is not your thing, and it doesn't seem like it, and you don't enjoy running a hamster wheel of the same flashpoints, try out leveling another class or two. Especially if you do so on the opposite faction, it offers a pretty different experience.

Other than that, you might need to find a new game.

Edited by arunav

Every MMO that isn't a sandbox has this issue of a "Dead End"

WoW has it, TSW Has it, Gw2 has it, AoC, Tera, Rift..... Etc

SWG didn't really have it, EvE doesn't really have it but these are Sandbox MMOs

From the sound of it man you might want to do one of the following: Try a new MMO (Likely Sandbox), Make an Alt and enjoy the other stories, do some world pvp (Which people will whine is griefing, but It can be fun), try to do some of the harder operations (Tfb is especially fun), or give up on MMOs and play single player games with high replayability and multiplayer games like CoD or BF3.

If you get the chance and you like shooters but also want an MMO I would suggest Planetside 2. It is an MMO Shooter with a progression system unlocked with time played / how well you play. It is free to play with no pay 2 win system, it is released fully this month. (Currently in Closed Beta)

From our guild's website...

When you reach 50 you can either level an alternative character, or you can participate in the end game. Of course there's no reason why you can't do both!

If you want to participate in the end game, the most important thing you must do is start running the hard level instances. There are two reasons to do this. First, and most important, it will help you gear up for the operations (the eight man instances). Second, and closely related to the first, if you use the group finder once a day you can earn black hole commendations which help you gear up with black hole gear. This gear is the second best gear in the game.

The second most important thing to do when you reach 50 is to earn credits to fund your activities. The primary way you do this is to run daily missions. These are missions you can run once a day. Some of them pay as high as 16k credits! You will find these missions on Ilum, the Black Hole, and Belsavis.

Another way to earn credits is to do the daily space missions. These don't pay as well as the dailies, but hey, a credit is a credit.

Another way you can earn credits is to run heroics. These can be run once a day as well.

At 50 you have a choice to make. You can stay with the guild as a teacher, or you can be placed in a raiding guild (allowing you to run operations). The guild will not run operations so if you want to participate in that part of the end game you will need to be a part of a raiding guild.

There are two kinds of raiding guilds. The first kind is the hard core raiding guilds. These usually raid three or four times a week and require you to attend them all. The second kind is a casual raiding guild. These may also run three or four times a week, but attendance is not required.

Whether you stay or not, another important end game activity is to help other players. Social interaction is an important part of an MMO (Massive Multilayer Game). You can help others level, run heroics, and gear up for operations by running instances with them. You can also just be available for answering questions leveling characters ask.

Another important aspect of the end game at 50 is crafting. You can make a lot of credits on the GTN by selling your crafted items. You can also help people in the guild by making items for them.

Something else you can do at 50 is to search for all the datacroms in the game. If you didn't get them as you leveled, this can be very satisfying. The datacroms increase your base stats and make you a better character. BW has made finding the datacroms challenging and fun. To find out where the datacroms are and to get some help in finding them go to this site: http://www.swtor-spy.com/datacrons/

Finally, when you reach 50 you can pvp. I know, you don't think you're any good at it; but, the only way to get better is to do it. PVP requires special gear so will want to buy the recruit set first (about 130k), and then earn the next two tiers by pvping.

Life after 50 is good! Enjoy it!

I only consider there to be 3 as two are the exact same concept, except one is better. (Novare Coast having the better concept than ACW)