Camera Sensitivity is Out of Control

Wapner

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok can you explain your problem to me so i can try to recreate - i am having second thoughts on this game now as the movement is plain retarted - tell me how to move so i can understand what you mean exactly left mouse right mouse...

I right click and hold it down to move the camera. It's that simple. Just moving the camera while holding down the right mouse button is near impossible to control without using super-minute movements.

Just watch the videos in the first post. :p

I've been noticing more on this. I have vsync turned on, and run at 60FPS constant, most of the time. Anytime I'm in an area where my FPS dips (even slightly) the mouse sensitivity seems to go up. The camera is hard to control in cities, and easier to control out in the open.

This was a known issue during beta, and I was spinning around in the same fashion. Only thing that ever worked for me was going into windows mouse properties. I didn't have to lower it as much as you seem to have done.....but it was a pain

I right click and hold it down to move the camera. It's that simple. Just moving the camera while holding down the right mouse button is near impossible to control without using super-minute movements.

Just watch the videos in the first post. :p

ya i see what you mean mines bad at anything over 6% - i cant get over the fact that this is how you are to move around period - this is ridiculous, i dont wanna start any swg vs tor 'this isnt swg qq' but swg is the only mmo i ever played and now im stuck with this?

can they patch something as integral as movement? could they change it easily or is this it?

i wanted to try pvp server for the first time but i cant even imagine the frustration of trying to get past gankers with this setup

There were some issues during beta with permissions for win7 users. Where by if your mouse loader wasn't run as admin, binds or settings were not working. This was mostly a logitech setpoint issue, though it could hold true for the naga software. I didn't user my naga during beta so can't confirm. Best of luck.

I've had the same issue since beta, as well. I have to play at 1% camera move speed or it's not usable. I tried different DPI and enabling & disabling mouse accel. At 1% it's usable but often times there are "hiccups" of huge acceleration at the beginning of a camera move, but this happens in a lot of games so I figure it's something that can't be fixed. I wonder, is everyone running fraps that is seeing this issue? I have always had fraps on to show fps & take screens for the game so, maybe that it is? I'll check in the morning to see whether it helps to disable it or not. It's the only thing I can think of that would be an outside influence that might be common to a few users.

I've had the same issue since beta, as well. I have to play at 1% camera move speed or it's not usable. I tried different DPI and enabling & disabling mouse accel. At 1% it's usable but often times there are "hiccups" of huge acceleration at the beginning of a camera move, but this happens in a lot of games so I figure it's something that can't be fixed. I wonder, is everyone running fraps that is seeing this issue? I have always had fraps on to show fps & take screens for the game so, maybe that it is? I'll check in the morning to see whether it helps to disable it or not. It's the only thing I can think of that would be an outside influence that might be common to a few users.

I've tried it with 2 capture programs (Fraps and Dxtory). Both on and off, I have the issue. So it's not related directly to those programs.

I had the problem in the beta and I solved it when I noticed that I had overlooked one of the two settings that influence that. I think I had only set the ingame mouse sensitivity setting to min but I didn't touch the camera speed at first.

When I did it became manageable at the max dpi setting on my mouse (a 5600 dpi razer lachesis). I actually seem to recall that it was even too slow with both settings at the minimum.

So check if you lowered the mouse sensitivity as well as the camera speed.

edit: you might also want to verify that the pointer speed setting in the windows control panel is at the default value (the 6th notch), it's what works best with high dpi mice. If it's too slow, increase your mouse dpi setting instead.

Edited by Zlodo

I had the problem in the beta and I solved it when I noticed that I had overlooked one of the two settings that influence that. I think I had only set the ingame mouse sensitivity setting to min but I didn't touch the camera speed at first.

When I did it became manageable at the max dpi setting on my mouse (a 5600 dpi razer lachesis). I actually seem to recall that it was even too slow with both settings at the minimum.

So check if you lowered the mouse sensitivity as well as the camera speed.

edit: you might also want to verify that the pointer speed setting in the windows control panel is at the default value (the 6th notch), it's what works best with high dpi mice. If it's too slow, increase your mouse dpi setting instead.

Actually if you look at the two videos posted, you'll see that the mouse sensitivity slider is gone (unless it's moved to some hidden area) and I have the camera set at 0%. In addition, I stated on the second page, that I tried various windows mouse pointer speed settings. When that didn't work, I went back to default. :)

Thanks for the tips, though.

I'm running a Razer Epic Naga, and I am not having any problems. Could it be that this could actually be some sort of issue with video that just appears to be manifesting as an issue with your mouse?

It is quite possible. It could be an issue with just about anything. In fact, I really doubt it has anything to do with the Naga in particular, since I've tested with 2 other mice and got very similar results (one being another nice Razer mouse the the other being an old MS ball mouse). I think it has something to do with a combination of mouse acceleration (which is definitely there...and a terrible idea), and system power. Not trying to brag -- But it feels like it has something to do with a system being "too powerful" for the game. Specs:

AMD 965 BE running @ 4.0 Ghz

16GB DDR3 RAM (Yes, I know overkill for gaming, but I do more than play games :p)

2x Nvidia GTX 570 Superclocked in SLI

Game is running on an 80GB SSD drive

My friend who plays on a lower-end system has no issues. But another friend of mine, who plays on a system similar to mine (but with a single GTX 580 instead of SLI), has the issue. I have tried it with the SLI disabled and the issue does not go away, and doesn't seem to get any better.

I'm getting a bit more used to it at the absolute lowest sensitivity running at 300 DPI. But the mouse cursor is pretty dang slow at that low of DPI, and I still have to use very small movements (keeping my mouse within a 1/2 inch) to keep the camera under control. It's frustrating that every other game does this right, but I have to alter the way I use my computer, for this game to work properly with basic inputs. :(

Edited by Wapner

Where are the extra mouse options in the full release ? i hate mouse acceleration.

The mouse is over accelerating, that is 100% the cause of this. What is causing the over-acceleration is the question. Since it seems to be a minority of people that are experiencing the issue, it has to be some combination of software or hardware and the game not liking that combination, that is causing it.

If there was a "use raw mouse input" checkbox, that seem to be fairly common in newer games now days, it would probably fix the issue.

Actually if you look at the two videos posted, you'll see that the mouse sensitivity slider is gone (unless it's moved to some hidden area) and I have the camera set at 0%. In addition, I stated on the second page, that I tried various windows mouse pointer speed settings. When that didn't work, I went back to default. :)

Thanks for the tips, though.

Ok, I now have access to the game and indeed the mouse sensitivity option is gone (I'm actually starting to wonder whether it was actually there in the first place or if I did just remember stuff from some other game).

However it still seems ok for me, even at 5600 dpi with the camera at 0% speed (which the game seems to revert silently to 1% actually) it was a bit too fast but usable.

I have no idea what would cause the difference. I tried to enable or disable vsync to see if it had any effect, it didn't.

The only thing I can think of might be if you have enabled acceleration in your razer profile. I haven't. I tried with it and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference but maybe it's handled differently on the naga than on the lachesis.

I've been doing my tests on a rather crap pc here at work but in the beta it was also fine on my much better pc at home, so I don't think framerate is a factor either.

Edited by Zlodo

Ok, I now have access to the game and indeed the mouse sensitivity option is gone (I'm actually starting to wonder whether it was actually there in the first place or if I did just remembering stuff from some other game).

However it still seems ok for me, even at 5600 dpi with the camera at 0% speed (which the game seems to revert silently to 1% actually) it was a bit too fast but usable.

I have no idea what would cause the difference. I tried to enable or disable vsync to see if it had any effect, it didn't.

The only thing I can think of might be if you have enabled acceleration in your razer profile. I haven't. I tried with it and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference but maybe it's handled differently on the naga than on the lachesis.

I've been doing my tests on a rather crap pc here at work but in the beta it was also fine on my much better pc at home, so I don't think framerate is a factor either.

I despise mouse acceleration, so I disable that in everything possible -- This includes my Razer profiles. :) The lachesis is pretty much the same sensor system as the Naga/Mamba, so it should be very similar.

Windows 7 has some built in mouse acceleration, and I used the "MarkC acceleration fix" to get rid of that: (http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html) But even with that disabled, returning the Windows 7 acceleration to normal, I get the same thing. It's actually worse because it feels like it's multiplicative acceleration at that point. haha

I've been complaining about this issue since beta as well. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

I have a logitech G700 mouse and it happens wirelessly or wired. I also would like to turn off mouse acceleration please.

Come on Bioware. PLEASE FIX THIS.

I briefly scanned the posts in this thread and I think someone else had this issue too.

In the beta, I used to also have an issue where once in a while my mouse look camera would feel like it was very "heavy". like the camera had "weight" to it. My camera all of a sudden went from waaay to fast to waaaay to slow. It would take a LOT of mouse movemet to start it moving, and then to stop my camera, I had to counter-turn my camera, like firing retro rockets on a spaceship. I could fix this issue by going into options and changing any key binding, but then the issue would come back randomly later.

It hasn't happened so far, but I am only level 13 and just starting questing on Drommund

I have a Logitech mouse and I have it on the middle DPI setting and I dropped the camera rotation down to about 3 and it seems fine for me. Was a bit fast at first but I found I quickly got used to it.

I'm getting more and more used to it (although I have to manually set my mouse DPI to be insanely low when I log into the game, and then back when I log out. It's annoying. Besides that, it seems to freak out at certain times -- In cities it's nearly impossible to control, no matter what the settings, and then the camera will randomly shoot around. Sometimes it feels like the sensitivity randomly decides to add a factor of 500, and the camera just shoots to the extremes (looking up or down) in an instant. Other times, it feels OK, but frustrating at the same time.

I have a big mouse pad for a reason, i like to use broad strokes for mouse movement. With this game, even on ultra low DPI and 1% camera speed, I have to keep my mouse inside of 1/2 an inch.

I have exactly the same problem with my generic wireless logitech mouse. Don't think the mouse makes a difference but something is badly wrong with using a mouse to move.

Trying to run through doorways and such can cause a lot of problems! :mad:

Yea i run into walls and I have a logitech gaming mouse g500. Most of the times in buildings where i not worried about fighting i just walk and it's easier to control.

Yesterday I was feeling like this was a very uncommon problem. But today with the posts on this thread, and with the reaction my YouTube videos are getting (I have at least 5 or 6 messages in my YT inbox asking me if I've found a fix), I have to now assume that this problem is far more widespread than I originally thought.

It would be nice to just get a "we are aware of it, we are working on it." Since it persisted through several beta builds, I hope it's on their list. If it's not, and they are just ignoring the people with this problem, the game feels like a waste of money. I'm still sticking to my plan of cancelling my preorder on the 19th if there's nothing being done about this. :/

While it's tolerable at certain times, it is extremely frustrating at seemingly key times during combat. Games that frustrate me, quickly get uninstalled. I don't want to spend $80 just to be hitting the uninstall button in a week.