To The Republic PvPers

xMaranathax

Here is a list of guides that help the beginning PvPer to become better. Although reading these guides will help, the best way to get better is by observing, watching, and keeping an open mind to help from those more experienced. And no, I don't mean just stand around and watch in the WZs. Try to find some good Twitch streams of good PvPers and watch them sometime. :p

Gearing for 55 PvP at Level 55- currently 1 tier off, may be outdated.

PvP Situation Awareness - Part 1 - Thanks Kym!

PvP Situation Awareness - Part 2 - Thanks Kym!

Novare Coast

Edited by xMaranathax
Removed faction title; changed introduction

I think alot of this stuff is real great, and would help alot of fresh 55's if they read it. Will definitely be passing the link around /pvp in TOR.

From my experience usually what Pubs lack is communication and teamwork, and a rather appalling lack of understanding of the point of the different warzones. For the longest time when I was managing <Titans>, we'd have two guys queued up for pvp, in instances of NC, ACW or AH and you'd see routinely 2-3 pub toons sometimes 4 running to cap the main node. (Either turret, or pylon depending on WZ).

In Hypergate this is brutal, when you get half your team running to the node closest to the Republic spawn point you give the Imps free reign to burn down the rest of your team and cap the middle objectives/node. Once this happens the outcome of the match is generally known.

#commfarmers

Edited by WhistDarkblade

For newer or infrequent PvPers, I highly recommend these posts (not videos), both by Geldarion.

PvP Situational Awareness Part 1

This post covers the bare basics of:

Number 1: Objective Control

Number 2: Enemy Movements

Number 3: Status of Allies

PvP Situational Awareness Part 2

Number 4: Buffs and Debuffs

Number 5: Healers and Tanks

Number 6: Support Skills

Number 7: To Kill or Not to Kill

I think alot of this stuff is real great, and would help alot of fresh 55's if they read it. Will definitely be passing the link around /pvp in TOR.

From my experience usually what Pubs lack is communication and teamwork, and a rather appalling lack of understanding of the point of the different warzones. For the longest time when I was managing <Titans>, we'd have two guys queued up for pvp, in instances of NC, ACW or AH and you'd see routinely 2-3 pub toons sometimes 4 running to cap the main node. (Either turret, or pylon depending on WZ).

In Hypergate this is brutal, when you get half your team running to the node closest to the Republic spawn point you give the Imps free reign to burn down the rest of your team and cap the middle objectives/node. Once this happens the outcome of the match is generally known.

#commfarmers

I dunno, I think there's a lot, lot more to hypergate than that, and I'd rather have a team that overcommits to cap our pylon at the start of a round than one that ignores it and leaves 1 non-stealther to try to grab it and inevitably be sap-capped on.

The ideal situation in hypergate is you have a stealther cap your pylon at the start of the round, and guard it from 1 or 2 attackers, easily able to call inc before he gets overwhelmed. Assuming both sides have this, THEN you can start worrying about the fight at mid, but I'd say 90+% of hypergates are decided by people getting capped on, not by the fight at mid.

Another serious problem I see in hypergate is people overemphasizing the value of orbs, to the point that they barely try to help the fight at mid. The orbs while technically worth more than a player kill, are more difficult in most cases to cap and take back to your pylon than it is to win the actual fighting. And by ignoring your teammates to try (and fail) to cap an orb, you're only giving them a greater advantage in kills.

Anyways, I could write a book on all the different aspects of hypergate (and it btw is probably my least favorite warzone because of the overwhelming advantage stealth has in it), but just saying, half your team going to cap your pylon at the start of a round really is far from the worst thing I've seen in that map, and in some cases can be beneficial, so long as half your team doesn't stay to defend that pylon.

Another serious problem I see in hypergate is people overemphasizing the value of orbs, to the point that they barely try to help the fight at mid. The orbs while technically worth more than a player kill, are more difficult in most cases to cap and take back to your pylon than it is to win the actual fighting. And by ignoring your teammates to try (and fail) to cap an orb, you're only giving them a greater advantage in kills.

Orbs are used to secure the win when you have it, not to turn the tide when you don't.

Thanks guys for taking the time to find and post these links. I agree there are things there that can benefit anyone. My only fear is that those that really need this are not the ones reading/replying to these threads.

My main role is normally as a healer. Healing pubside recently at 55, positioning and situational awareness is most definitely an issue. I like to move around lots. Too much according to many tanks that guard me :p. Anyways, I tend to generally occupy space between my ranged attackers and melee frontliners and then move back and forth according to need. I find that lots of folks pubside really over extend the groups position which wreaks havoc on the whole squad. Melee should not be bypassing enemy lines to attack respawners and then whine that they got globelled and had no heals. Also, I have no idea why commandos and gunslingers are running around within the enemy ranks unless pulled there, in which case you should be backpeddling the hell out. I try and correct this in ops chat when I see it occurring. Sometimes the team listens; sometimes they do not....

Ancient Hypergate became my least favorite WZ after one where we double capped one round and denied the other team in another round and lost during x7 because our team was tanks and healers with one or two ineffecive DPS so we couldn't get hardly any points for kills.

Back on topic. I'm working to gear out my Guardian so I can be effective. Will definitely be rough for a bit.

..... If more people knew when to CC, slow, or kill, the skill cap on TEH would go up ten fold, on both factions.

^^ This!! So many close matches would have been won if a plant or cap could have been made. At that point what it comes down to is simply not breaking the aoe stuns like flashbang that people throw out.

Enemy players might be grouped up nice and tight, all lined up for a sweet deeps aoe, but that defeats the purpose of the break-on-damage stun.

It's important for the people who do know what they're doing to speak up in WZs. This doesn't mean you need to yell and curse and scream when someone makes a mistake. As I've come to learn over the past few days, the knowledge level is pretty shallow on Rep side. Some people just don't know.

It's important for the people who do know what they're doing to speak up in WZs. This doesn't mean you need to yell and curse and scream when someone makes a mistake. As I've come to learn over the past few days, the knowledge level is pretty shallow on Rep side. Some people just don't know.

This is very good Moontayle. In my experience over the past while on pubside, success as it pertains to this has been very dependant on whether the folks on your team listen or not. Not that I necessarily know what I am doing all the time either, but if I see things going on that are blatantly incorrect, I have been speaking my mind in ops chat.

The most common things I am seeing is inability to focus targets. If every damage dealer on your team is attaking a different target, please do not turn around and complain that the healers on the other team are just too good. I have news; it is not hard to keep people on their feet if they are only taking damage from 1 enemy, especially if you are attackg a full geared tank, or a class with very good DCDs. This accompanies anothe issue is picking targets. Why are you all attacking the tank? The healing is not have a hard time keeping that tank up and you are allowing their damage dealers to pick you all off one by one.

Secondly is positioning. I have had to speak up in ops chat several times to try and stop people from either over extending themselves, which means I have to move out in the open to try and keep you alive, or I am forced to sacrifice you. The other scenario is giving up position for absolutely no reason. I am seeing this way too much. So many hypergates that are a dead stalemate at mid and then suddenly the team starts backing out. Why? You just gave the other team all the orbs and if you notice, as soon as you bottlenecked into the doorway the AOEs all let loose on the team. Novares, where its a stalemate at south, but suddenly the team pulls back down the hill, or gets knocked back and doesn't press back up the hill. Don't turn around and ask how the other team just managed to cap south. You let that happen when you allowed yourself the get pushed/pulled off the node and didn't do a thing to stop it.

Again, I am not going to claim that I know what I am doing, but people grouping with me will see me making comments in chat when I see these things happening. Triggle got it right to say that it seems lots of people just do not know. Those that want to learn I hope pick up on these things. Those that do not want to know or just do not care, will continue to be huge liabilities in WZs (regardless of faction). They are variables that the group has no control over so you deal with it and move on to the next WZ.

It has also occurred to me that not everyone makes their way through the official forums. There needs to be another way to reach out to everyone, maybe on Enjin, or through GMs at the next Guild Summit? Just throwing ideas around here..

I've noticed that the people that don't know make the loudest noise.

Added a link to the thread from the PvP forums about BiS PvE gear while grinding PvP gear.

Note: Title awaiting approval I guess? I see the title to the new one in my OP, but its not showing it on forum. Never changed a title before, so I'm assuming that BW has to approve the change? Hopefully it can get changed.