Why did the Sith reveal themselves?

gtmach

This was a question that's always bothered me with the prequels.

The Sith revealed their existence in Ep. 1 when Maul was sent after the Queen and her entourage.

But I was always wondering why Palpatine chose to reveal the Sith at all. Wouldn't it have been better to operate in secret until the time was right in Ep. 3?

Not really, Palpatine needed something to occupy the Jedi with and cloud their thoughts with. If they were per-occupied with trying to hunt down the Sith and fight a war, they wouldn't notice Palpatine's gradual rise to power. Also, the movies would lose a lot of their zing without the Sith battles and good vs. evil vibe.

The whole behind Maul was to have someone Sid didn't care about losing, to throw in front of the Jedi so they'd start hunting the Sith. That gave him the ability to move around in the Senate without being interfered with by the Jedi.

Sid never had any intention of Maul actually becoming a Dark Lord or anything else, he was throw at the Jedi to keep them distracted and maybe do a little damage before he died.

The Sith revealed their existence in Ep. 1 when Maul was sent after the Queen and her entourage.

But I was always wondering why Palpatine chose to reveal the Sith at all. Wouldn't it have been better to operate in secret until the time was right in Ep. 3?

The tax deduction?

Actually Maul was suppose to kill the Jedi and the Queen. So if he succeeded, the Siht probably wouldn't have been revealed.

Actually Maul was suppose to kill the Jedi and the Queen. So if he succeeded, the Siht probably wouldn't have been revealed.

Well the holes in their guts or them being cut in half or whatever would have a been a good sign of either dark jedi or sith. Either way, the Jedi Order would have been on the lookout for evil force users.

Also when you consider that Sidious/Palpatine seemed to be working many steps in advance, it can be inferred that he knew Maul would fail.