Discuss the Revan book! **SPOILERS**

Riotus

**Spoilers for both the book "Revan" and the game The Old Republic ahead***

I just finished Revan and thought I would see what everyone else thought. I really enjoyed it. Picked it up after finishing The Maelstrom (if youve been you know why) and i must say i dont think ive ever read a book with charactors that I was so invested in. I play a Jedi Knight and the part where both Scourge and Revan were talking about a Jedi to rise against the empire in the future just greatly enhances my storyline in the game. I must say this is one of the best books Ive read, probobly due to the intertwined story with both KOTOR and my charactors story in TOR.

So what did you guys think?

• 2 months later...

He was never made to be like that, that was just the fans doing to him what they did to Darth Maul and Boba Fett. He wasn't really special, but back in this time era, he is because he was the first one who was able to transcend the boundaries of the force. By walking the dark and light path.

I don't like all the fanboyism over him either but he certainly wasn't pathetic.

It did a bit to both increase and decrease the immersion for me. I finished the Revan audio novel, which had ****** voice acting for Scourge just before I got to that point the in game on my Jedi Knight.

I meet Scourge in the game and his voice is much less ******. He sounds more like a calm Jedi than a guy who has spent the last 300 years in agony as a result of the emperors immortality spell.

I played and loved KotOR 1+2 a few times and the book increased my excitement factor of seeing Revan's return even more. The flashpoint to save him was so damn epic, then.. poof! up in smoke? Was kinda hoping for a bigger role from Revan but who knows, maybe he is still around.

The fanboyism was because of his creators. Drew Made him into something he really wasn't.

Hum no i think it has much to do with the player being revan in KOTOR and what the player made revan into in a RPG.

Then comes along drew with his book and he isnt that special anymore. It was expected to happen in sooner or later.

He certainly wasnt a god of the force but in his time he certainly was a legend and a hero, and one of the greatest jedi of his time so i dont understand the "hate" arround him.

I think the book is mediocre and its only a markting move to set the stage for SWTOR.

On the other hand i was happy to read for the short time it was about the characters that i realy liked in KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

Edited by Spartanik

The book is more about Lord Scourge than it is about Revan. Just change the title and I have no objections.

In essence, the book just shows Revan being a selfless idiot and then getting curbstomped twice in a row because he refuses to learn.

Now Lord Scourge on the other hand kicks *** from page one.

As for what happens to Revan in this game? Note that in the end dialogue he's talking about a space station that he managed to keep hidden from the emperor for all those years?

The foundry, there is a flashpoint for the empire side called that, it's pretty much the mirror FP for maelstrom prison.

Let's just say things does not work out well for Revan.

Edited by Morticoccus

The fanboyism was because of his creators. Drew Made him into something he really wasn't.

Drew his "CREATOR" "MADE" him into something he reallly wasn't ?

The hate of BrandonSM for Revan is strong oh yes , so strong it makes no sense !

I have a example for you

Luke was not a completely over powered God because Lucas didn't make him as such .............Lucas his creator

EU "NOT HIS CREATOR" made him into a "GOD" , so your line would work here but not on Revan being Drew made him into what he wanted to make him into and always maybe intended to make him as such............................so he made him into something he was ...... ok just though I would try tp break that bubble .

So far Drew's work is cannon and there for Revan is canon .

Revan's even most extreme fans are just the same as any extreme fan for any character in any Book/Comic/Game/Movie , Personally I think OldSchool SW fans hate Revan because of how KotoR was able to reach the videogame crowd in a way no other SW game did before .

Now we have Galen Merak who is very Powerful and owned Vadar x2 and Galen has a big fan base .............. Just the Oldschool cannot attack Galen in the way the attack Revan because Lucas had alot to do with Galen's creation .................. Oh well I tried :cool:

I think Revan's story is at its end personally , as we seen in Foundry the guy has lost his mind from 300years of Vitiate beating on it . I think Meetra did her best to keep him alive but in the end Revan is a extreme character who believes in Sacrifice of thousands to save millions .

I personally see Revan as a Star Wars Hero but not nowhere as Godly as Luke .

(Revan is also intresting because he can be defeated , where Luke seems to be able to kill everything streight of of acoma)

If EU Revan and Luke got into a fight it would be done in seconds just because Luke has no one who can beat him. He is currently Neo of the Matrix and has nothing that can really stand in his path .

Kinda why I am hoping for Mara Jade to drive him crazy , there needs to be balance in the force so none Gods like Jaina can take her rightful place at center stage and we can see REAL stories about a Character that can be defeated and can't beat everything. That is what makes a GOOD READ .

Just my opinion.

Luke was not a completely over powered God because Lucas didn't make him as such .............Lucas his creator

EU "NOT HIS CREATOR" made him into a "GOD" , so your line would work here but not on Revan being Drew made him into what he wanted to make him into and always maybe intended to make him as such............................so he made him into something he was ...... ok just though I would try tp break that bubble .

So far Drew's work is cannon and there for Revan is canon .

Revan's even most extreme fans are just the same as any extreme fan for any character in any Book/Comic/Game/Movie , Personally I think OldSchool SW fans hate Revan because of how KotoR was able to reach the videogame crowd in a way no other SW game did before .

Now we have Galen Merak who is very Powerful and owned Vadar x2 and Galen has a big fan base .............. Just the Oldschool cannot attack Galen in the way the attack Revan because Lucas had alot to do with Galen's creation .................. Oh well I tried :cool:

I agree with this post. Galen could have been a better character though. Didn't need another whiner. But that's besides the point. I love Revan for what he is and has done in terms of lore. I do not like that the fanboys think he is a God. He is not.

I agree with this post. Galen could have been a better character though. Didn't need another whiner. But that's besides the point. I love Revan for what he is and has done in terms of lore. I do not like that the fanboys think he is a God. He is not.

I actually like the idea of a character like Galen. The way hewas actaully presented... not so much.

I thought the book was great. I think Karpyshyn did justice to all the characters that appeared in it, even the exile (and I was a KOTOR/KOTOR II fanatic before SWTOR was released).

I personally think the reason people don't like the book because Revan and the Exile aren't the near-infinitely powerful ******** they CAN be in the games IF u use cheat codes. I also think people hate the book because they still cling to the opinion of the ******* who pirated the book before it was released and than put the most biased review possible on the internet.

I thought the book was great. I think Karpyshyn did justice to all the characters that appeared in it, even the exile (and I was a KOTOR/KOTOR II fanatic before SWTOR was released).

I personally think the reason people don't like the book because Revan and the Exile aren't the near-infinitely powerful ******** they CAN be in the games IF u use cheat codes. I also think people hate the book because they still cling to the opinion of the ******* who pirated the book before it was released and than put the most biased review possible on the internet.

Well said.

I find Demi God characters to be less intresting.

Even most Greek Demi Gods have a end or die at a point, thats what I find intresting in them . Makes reading how they lived much more intresting .

Edited by mefit

I didn't like it. I found almost all of the characters to be boring, and I got the impression that the writer had never played K2 or even read the wookiepedia article. And I frankly would have preferred Revan to have died at the end of the book rather than set up the whole Maelstrom/Foundry mess.

I didn't like it. I found almost all of the characters to be boring, and I got the impression that the writer had never played K2 or even read the wookiepedia article. And I frankly would have preferred Revan to have died at the end of the book rather than set up the whole Maelstrom/Foundry mess.

Am I the only one who occasionally likes characters to pwn?

Honestly I get tired of the weakling somehow killing the overpowered big bad. Sometimes I just want my hero to come in and wipe his butt with the big bad. Not always, but sometimes. I get sick of watching them whine, watching them get their butts kicked, only to have some horrible writing make the big bad lower his guard for some unknown reason and then it's over.