Cybertech: Where are the Tanking Mods?

Anundir

Do your research, don't live in ignorance.

Shadow Tank stance.

------

Back OT though, I just crested 225 Cybertech and have been finding the exact same issue as the posters. I've also RE'd mass quantities (30+ I can think of in the last weekend alone) of Guardian mods bought from commendations hoping to get a recipe even for a low level one. This doesn't appear to work, or at least, isn't the way to get Guardian mods for Cybertech.

I'm not going to even think of changing though. As a Juggernaut the profession allows me access to more AoE damage and CC options, which i'm lacking. I'll live with that, the cool rides, and the fact I can't keep ship upgrades on the GTN because I can't make them faster than they sell.

Agreed. And Artifice has the same issue as far as I can tell. I haven't gotten terribly far, but even early on, these professions offer little for those who wish to dedicate their gearing toward a defensive style of play. This should definitely be changed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP is right currently there are no tanking mods available from merchant.

i think people are a bit confused when they say "mod" so ill break it down...

theres 3 slot in ur gear

armor

mod

enhancement

armor- there ARE armor tanking mods like guardian armor

mod- there are NO tanking mods only dps and what every other class would be

enhancement- artificer so im not sure what they can make. Gotta check vendor.

The only way i can think of to get tanking MOD is to get one from a quest or token vendor and RE that and hope get the recipe

There are tanking mods, infact you see some from quest rewards and as random drops. they exist, they just seem to have left a gaping hole in crafting to self fabricate them. In fact the item database has a whole slew of Elusive series mods with end, str, +defense. thats clearly a tanking mod. im sure theres an aim and will version as well for powertechs and assasin tanks. i would be very annoyed though if they were purely reverse engineered.

In my eyes, something that wears light armour will never be a viable tank spec against something like the Knight or the Vanguard.

Sure, it maybe be able to off-tank a little. But a main tank for end-game operations is always going to be a knight or vanguard.

<cough>

wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love my jugg, but you're talking out your rear end.

Assassins/shadow are just as viable as PT's or juggs/knight.

They do it differently is all.

Did you run around saying rogues in Rift can't tank too?

Guys, there aren't tanking mods because AUGMENTS and ENHANCEMENTS have tanking stats. Not to mention blue/purple crafted armor. Mods are just NOT for enhancing those type of stats.. if you have a crafted item that crits, i.e. has a item modification slot, it can vary from augments, mods, etc. Depending on which one it is, is the type of modification you can add to that slot.

So THAT is how the crafting system is devised. Most orange armor or crit'd armor has extra slots for item modifications. The tanking stats are assigned only to augments and enhancements (as far as I can tell), while the stats in general + armor go with cybertech mods.

Hope that clears this question up.

Not all defensive stats come from augments or enhancements... There are clearly mods that have defensive stats too. You have to wait until 30+ to beable to make commando plates which is bogus (I think you start being able to make 14's when theres 1-13 before that that you can only get by quests/vendors)

Okay well after you get that, you still never get deflecting or weighted mods (Mods that give + defense/absorption and End > Aim) and this is a huge issue. I am a 40 PT and I'm having to craft agile and nimble mods for myself which have + crit and + power... Complete nonsense. It's clearly a gap. I could understand mroe if we could only do the base resolve and skill mods, but why give us the special DPS mods and completely forgo the tanking ones?

Bioware fix it for the love of god.

Honestly, you don't even need Guardian mods until around 30+. You can tank fine all the way to 50 without any defense rating on your gear.

That said it's kind of annoying to see all the mods on TORhead and then see so few of them on trainers. Hopefully they're purchasable with raid tokens or something later. I'm 400 cybertech and I can only train up to mod level 22, and there are mod 25s in the database...

Here is a screenshot of the level 38 vs 43 tanking earrings. Notice the name changes yet again and the stats drop. I actually prefer the level 38 earring over the 43 one as it gives 21 more DEF.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc367/Xantrik/38vs43earring.jpg

You are not comparing apples to oranges. Each green earpiece can RE into three separate blue earpieces that add a different stat (or will boost an existing stat). Overkill gives +power, Critical gives +critical, and redoubt gives +defense. Your 38 earring is a redoubt, so you get additional +defense to the defense already on the green earpiece. Your 43 earring is overkill, which adds +power to the green version of the earpiece. If you RE'ed the green one some more you'll eventually get a Redoubt version that has a higher defense than the 38 version.

Guys, there aren't tanking mods because AUGMENTS and ENHANCEMENTS have tanking stats. Not to mention blue/purple crafted armor. Mods are just NOT for enhancing those type of stats.. if you have a crafted item that crits, i.e. has a item modification slot, it can vary from augments, mods, etc. Depending on which one it is, is the type of modification you can add to that slot.

So THAT is how the crafting system is devised. Most orange armor or crit'd armor has extra slots for item modifications. The tanking stats are assigned only to augments and enhancements (as far as I can tell), while the stats in general + armor go with cybertech mods.

Do you have some type of inside knowledge you can back this up with? All other classes can use Mods to increase their primary stats, so why do tanks have to forfeit the right to do the same? I've been thoroughly searching the GTN for days, still sporting rated 28 Mods while other slots are at 40-44 until I finally decided to see if there were any usable mods, or if I was going to have to suck it up and purchase strength mods.

Enhancements seem to be the only modifications you can't stack a specific stat other than endurance, but you can stack power/crit/etc. It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Ya i have lvl 400 cybertech and none tanks mods or armor.... bioware must get this fix asap... i allredy read in every foruns i can find and alot of ppl talking about this.... why i have cybertech and im a tank if i cant do anything for me... but for dps healer and so on i can do it... and other thing no 50 recipes....

You are ignorant. Please do not comment further. There are plenty of tanking mods available from commendation vendors and quest rewards. I have RE'd many of them, and never obtained a schematic. Even if I were successful, it would grant a purple version, there's no known way to get blue or green.

There is no indication that this is by design. It appears to be an oversight on Bioware's part, and I hope it is fixed soon.

You guys are taking the OP's post out of context. The OP is referring to the items called "mods." He is NOT talking about the whole set. There aren't any "mods" in the game built specifically for tanking stats. They all have power on them and only increase the class-specific base stats AND endurance. There are, as of right now plenty of tank modifications (Not "mods") in this game but you don't see them until at least 30. Crafting mods are also on par with planet commendation mods of the same level so that argument is moot as well.

And finally the whole RE to make different types of items doesn't work as a "RE this three times, get three different blue recipes" and instead requires a specific green to be RE'd. On the mods that actually do anything to your secondary stats for your role, they always come out the same so building greens to RE after the first blue is learned becomes pointless. A tanking item will turn into a Redoubt blue item then into the purple equivalent to Redoubt (Veracity at 50). Again, the Redoubt, critical, etc items come from items that already have the specific stats on them for that role. Proof is in the game itself, go do it.

Misinformation is strong with these people.

This is flat out untrue. There are plenty of modifications with tanking stats that drop from quests. For example, the 2+ heroic daily on Belsavis, A Lesson Is Learned, rewards several mods including this one: http://www.torhead.com/item/92iHI9E

Edited by noachr

bumping this.

Its stupidity of the highest magnitude for there not to be craftable mods with defensive stats. There is ONE, YEA ONE, mod prefix with STR on it and guess what? No tanking stats and substantially lower END than STR in all its branching versions. I can get "Elusive" from quests, vendor bought gear, but i'll be damned if its craftable.

I am curious if the mods with DEF from vendors or quests can be RE'd into higher level recipes or not too. Once reply a few back said they tried about 30+ with no luck.

I am also wondering if anyone has seen DEF Mod schematics drop out of Operations or HM Heroics. Any other Level 50 End gamers with 400 Cybertech have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rizar

50 Agent

Death Wind Cooridor

I have RE-ed about a half dozen of the mods with Aim/End and +defense or +absorption, most of which have come from droid parts as quest rewards. I have yet to get a schematic from them, but I still feel my sample is still too small to say for sure if it is possible.

Those series should have been available from the trainers, probably starting about the same time the higher endurance series of armoring became available.

I've been wondering the same thing. >.<; I want to outfit Blizz with my cybertech skills, but I don't have the mods with defense or absorption. Why leave out an entire role from a crew skill? I have level 400 cybertech btw, and I have done a lot of reverse engineering and never seen tank stats appear on Mods. However, I've seen defense show up on armorings that were not the tank ones. Real useful there.

The thing that all of you poor misguided people are missing is that...

The QUEST REWARD armoring/mods have MORE ENDURANCE than strength/aim/willpower for tanks.

For example:

DPS mod might have:

11 strength

4 endurance

Tanking mod might have

10 strength

14 endurance

DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE.

Why can't I learn the 10 str, 14 endurance one as a SITH JUGGERNAUT who needs the endurance more than the strength?

This is unacceptable and is making me regret taking cybertech as a way to enhance my armor - I should have gone synthweaving at this point.

Wait till you get to 49-50 and get handed mods from a daily quest that A you can't make and B are better then what you could make if you had the same mod.

Elusive

end

Shield

Def

and i forget the absorb one's name. but it's

end

shield

absorb

you can also get the advanced deft or advanced potent mods.

Wait till you get to 49-50 and get handed mods from a daily quest that A you can't make and B are better then what you could make if you had the same mod.

Elusive

end

Shield

Def

and i forget the absorb one's name. but it's

end

shield

absorb

you can also get the advanced deft or advanced potent mods.

Yea, thats unnacceptable. I would like to level using appropriate stats, not be a half-arsed tank on my way up, thanks.