Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

invertedknife

Well we have 4 lvl 55 FPs, while actually we really need only 1 for gearing. Why not put the other 3 on CM if we can watch them on youtube anyway ;)

Ok, what does a little bit of background story content has to do with gear? Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game? Did that little bit of story help you win a PvP match? Did that little bit of story tear apart your guild with drama?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's polite to answer the PMs/emails/whatever. Ignoring people sends a message "you're so insignificant that it's not worth a few secs of my time to type a reply", even if it should be only a reply saying why they can't answer or that the answer was already posted somewhere else.

Maybe that is the exact message they are trying to send.

And honestly what do you even care? Other than for the sake of attempting to convince me that I'm wrong, you're right, and there's no way anything can be looked at from a different perspective?

Don't try to turn this into some petty you-vs-me adversarial drama.

I care because you were vague about what you wanted for a response AND you made a point of stating you have sent multiple PMs and received no response... and then editorialized that a lack of response did not look good to you. This implies you do have expectations about the response. And you gave zero insight as to what you PMed....so there is little to go on here...other then your dissatisfaction that you have not yet received a personal response.

Hopefully, you were polite, objective, and constructive...in which case you will likely receive a response (though it may not be what you want). Thing is... all we have to go on is heresay from you....and none of us actually knows since it was your PM.

As for.....do they understand the concerns expressed...pretty sure they do. Does that mean they are going to change course? Totally depends on if they agree with your concerns. Probably not. Just because a few of you are bent about it.. does not mean it is not working as intended.

If you expect them to drop everything and go patch the datacubes back out of the game...I think you overestimate your power over the direction the state of the game. ;)

Edited by Andryah

Ok, what does a little bit of background story content has to do with gear? Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game? Did that little bit of story help you win a PvP match? Did that little bit of story tear apart your guild with drama?

The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts fo the game.

The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts of the game.

Then don't use an example citing gear as comparable to storyline (really, back story. Something that is done in EVERY media). If you want to make a comparison, I'd like to point out that there is gear available to you in the game, and gear you can purchase (or win, a la Cartel Packs). So if gear and story are on an even ground, you just made an argument to include MORE story items on the CM.

So to my point, what about all the history leading up to SWTOR? Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?

Had this not even been posted or discussed, you would be clueless to it's existence. Much as with many things surrounding Star Wars universe and this game in particular. I'm sure that Wookieepedia must also be off limits, since you can find out anything about the Star Wars universe you like.

Honestly, complaining that it costs you money (it doesn't. You can buy them off the GTN) is really just silly. The argument is quite thin. This can be related to those who have the Security Key and Collector's Edition vendor access. The fact is, if you pay, you get more. Plain and simple.

The back story has nothing to do with the progress of the game and it's story. Many people who don't know about this will go on without it and still enjoy the game. It does nothing but add a little contrived background, narrated by a character that wasn't once encountered before 2.0. It would be Deux Ex Machina, but he really doesn't DO anything. The material is quaint, but ultimately useless (hence me asking "Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game?" It doesn't.).

Edited by Thylbanus

*snip*

So to my point, what about all the history leading up to SWTOR? Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?

*snip*

Comics/books are not in game content. This whole argument is about that story that is IN GAME should not be part of CM.

Then don't use an example citing gear as comparable to storyline (really, back story. Something that is done in EVERY media). If you want to make a comparison, I'd like to point out that there is gear available to you in the game, and gear you can purchase (or win, a la Cartel Packs). So if gear and story are on an even ground, you just made an argument to include MORE story items on the CM.

Had this not even been posted or discussed, you would be clueless to it's existence. Much as with many things surrounding Star Wars universe and this game in particular. I'm sure that Wookieepedia must also be off limits, since you can find out anything about the Star Wars universe you like.

Honestly, complaining that it costs you money (it doesn't. You can buy them off the GTN) is really just silly. The argument is quite thin. This can be related to those who have the Security Key and Collector's Edition vendor access. The fact is, if you pay, you get more. Plain and simple.

The back story has nothing to do with the progress of the game and it's story. Many people who don't know about this will go on without it and still enjoy the game. It does nothing but add a little contrived background, narrated by a character that wasn't once encountered before 2.0. It would be Deux Ex Machina, but he really doesn't DO anything. The material is quaint, but ultimately useless (hence me asking "Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game?" It doesn't.).

If they created a new FP, named the unlock "datacube" and put it in the new cartel pack, I wouldn't be aware of it either unless I noticed it here on the forums. I would still be enjoying the game and if I bought it later from GTN, it wouldn't give me any advantage in the game either. Which means I don't quite get your point.

Don't try to turn this into some petty you-vs-me adversarial drama.

I care because you were vague about what you wanted for a response AND you made a point of stating you have sent multiple PMs and received no response... and then editorialized that a lack of response did not look good to you. This implies you do have expectations about the response. And you gave zero insight as to what you PMed....so there is little to go on here...other then your dissatisfaction that you have not yet received a personal response.

Hopefully, you were polite, objective, and constructive...in which case you will likely receive a response (though it may not be what you want). Thing is... all we have to go on is heresay from you....and none of us actually knows since it was your PM.

As for.....do they understand the concerns expressed...pretty sure they do. Does that mean they are going to change course? Totally depends on if they agree with your concerns. Probably not. Just because a few of you are bent about it.. does not mean it is not working as intended.

If you expect them to drop everything and go patch the datacubes back out of the game...I think you overestimate your power over the direction the state of the game. ;)

I'm not turning it into anything. You can't be subtly aggressive and expect silence. I don't play subtle games. What I expect is a response of any kind. And of course I was courteous. Here's what I said "I know you're busy answering many questions, but when you get a chance could you please get back to us on the forums about our datacube concerns. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear from you soon. Take care." Why would I send a rude message and expect a response? Addressing your point about whether or not they hear our concerns, how am I supposed to know that without them acknowledging it? Am I supposed to take your word for it?

It's not like I'm going to bash them for giving me a response I don't want. I can deal with them choosing to continue with the datacubes in the next cartel pack. What I don't like is that these admins are supposed to address players' concerns. That is their whole job. They are middle men between us and the devs. If they aren't doing that, they aren't doing their jobs. Jobs that my sub helps pay for.

Comics/books are not in game content. This whole argument is about that story that is IN GAME should not be part of CM.

I was having a discussion with someone else who claimed that the whole point of playing was for the story content and that it was a bunch of bull that some background story is only available through the Cartel Market. My point was that all those works are backstory and fit the same criteria (s)he cited.

If they created a new FP, named the unlock "datacube" and put it in the new cartel pack, I wouldn't be aware of it either unless I noticed it here on the forums. I would still be enjoying the game and if I bought it later from GTN, it wouldn't give me any advantage in the game either. Which means I don't quite get your point.

Our exchanges so far:

Personally, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like it's important story content. If you find that it is important, just do a search on the internet, there are HUNDREDS of videos with all the story content for the encrypted datacubes, or just visit one of the fan sites that summarizes all of it. I look at it as if I were going to receive one of the mission "rewards" like the credit boon, it's cool to get thrown a bone with some background stuff that really isn't all that important.

Well we have 4 lvl 55 FPs, while actually we really need only 1 for gearing. Why not put the other 3 on CM if we can watch them on youtube anyway ;)

You said you need it for gear, the others are extraneous. You seem to imply that I'm being silly in some way. The follow-up seems to indicate this.

The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts of the game.

I was pointing out that it is unimportant that it is being sold on the CM. If you didn't know about it, it wouldn't affect your ability to play the game. There is no advantage with this knowledge. If the knowledge is important to you, but you don't want to spend the money to get access, YouTube and Wookieepedia are viable options. Backstory is constantly being sold under other media. What is wrong with it being given out as a bonus to pack awards that already exist (credit boon and xp/valor boosts)?

You fail. We are paying money (we're subs) for the IN GAME story. Had to pay for the expansion (if you can really call it that, I get/got bigger expansions free with CO, CoH and DCUO) fine. Okay. I can understand that. You know, just because I'm used to patches that big being more of a update than an expansion.

But these were specifically put into the RNG PACK, which one has to spend creds people may not have the creds for (depending on the server this could be expensive) to get it off the GTN or pay CC and hope to get it. They couldn't even sell these additional storylines separately, they put them in a pack.

Then to add to that, they're rare. So look at it from the perspective of someone buying the packs and maybe wants the story.

Yay! Got it. Oh look, it's a common rare like the Jawagram and now it's just as worthless to me! Or it is now, because they got rid of the one good reward.

It was a failure of an idea and they're going to continue that failure, because they won't stop from putting them in the next pack.

I sent Amber a PM today but as anyone on the forums would be able to tell, she's been pretty busy today so she might not be able to get to us to give us a response.

This thread in on the front page for weeks now, I don't think your PM will change anything. They actively ignore this issue. Yes, it is an issue for some. If it isn't for you, move along (that's for people trying to convince others that lore in CM is nothing to worry about).

Edited by Mike_Bluesky

This thread in on the front page for weeks now, I don't think your PM will change anything. They actively ignore this issue. Yes, it is an issue for some. If it isn't for you, move along (that's for people trying to convince others that lore in CM is nothing to worry about).

I'd hate to say it, but I think you may be correct. No response for weeks. It's been on or near the front page this whole time. I've reached out multiple times, and we've gotten no response. I haven't even received a PM about it. It's hard to have faith in the team when they continue to ignore this thread.

You fail. We are paying money (we're subs) for the IN GAME story. Had to pay for the expansion (if you can really call it that, I get/got bigger expansions free with CO, CoH and DCUO) fine. Okay. I can understand that. You know, just because I'm used to patches that big being more of a update than an expansion.

But these were specifically put into the RNG PACK, which one has to spend creds people may not have the creds for (depending on the server this could be expensive) to get it off the GTN or pay CC and hope to get it. They couldn't even sell these additional storylines separately, they put them in a pack.

Then to add to that, they're rare. So look at it from the perspective of someone buying the packs and maybe wants the story.

Yay! Got it. Oh look, it's a common rare like the Jawagram and now it's just as worthless to me! Or it is now, because they got rid of the one good reward.

It was a failure of an idea and they're going to continue that failure, because they won't stop from putting them in the next pack.

You didn't explain how I failed. You went off on a tangent and didn't hit ANY of my points to illustrate why it is a fail. And has anyone else found his signature a bit funny, considering what he just posted?

(Provided below, just in case he edits it)

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry
Edited by Thylbanus

Your reasoning is flawed if you give books as example. It's more like situation when you buy a book and a couple of sentences is on paid website from publisher. Is a couple of sentence a big deal? Probably not. Would it piss off readers? For sure.

All lore is integral part of the game (small or not) and should be accessible without CM (at least for subs).

Also argument about CE and SK vendors is not valid - they have nothing to do with lore.

Edited by Mike_Bluesky

Your reasoning is flawed if you give books as example. It's more like situation when you buy a book and a couple of sentences is on paid website from publisher. Is a couple of sentence a big deal? Probably not. Would it piss off readers? For sure.

All lore is integral part of the game (small or not) and should be accessible without CM (at least for subs).

Also argument about CE and SK vendors is not valid - they have nothing to do with lore.

It's not reasoning, it's a response to someone else. Read the post I responded to for context. Going by the context of the post I responded to, you are comparing apples and oranges. Books don't have a subscription rate (comics do, and if you want their additional backstory, you DO have to buy that backstory comic series)

It is accessible without the CM. I pointed out the GTN, YouTube, and Wookieepedia.

Pointing out that CE and SK vendors are only available to those who have spent additional money, just like the encrypted datacubes.

Edited by Thylbanus

It's not reasoning, it's a response to someone else. Read the post I responded to for context.

It is accessible without the CM. I pointed out the GTN, YouTube, and Wookieepedia.

Pointing out that CE and SK vendors are only available to those who have spent additional money, just like the encrypted datacubes.

The CE and SK vendors are a false argument. They have nothing in them that isn't aesthetic or cosmetic content just as the CM was supposed to be. They have once again placed non-aesthetic, non-cosmetic content on the CM which the Dev's stated wasn't going to happen after the Starship parts debacle.

Content is content, no matter how small and insignificant people think it is. It doesn't matter if it is available on the GTN, YouTube or anywhere else. What matters is that content is being put on the CM against what EA/BW said previously about content being placed on the CM that isn't a cosmetic or aesthetic item.

Seems like we're talking about different things. Cubes contain lore content which is not accessible without CM involvement. That should never happened. We can argue about GTN (which relies on players and also should not be place for lore stuff in the beginning). We already discussed YouTube and other sources - you can read/watch whole story of every class there. That is simply not the point of this discussion. This is about what BW is trying to do or test here - shards of story on CM.

If it's not a problem for you - ok. But it is for me and a bunch of other people who believe all lore in this game should be accessible by normal means.

Edited by Mike_Bluesky

The CE and SK vendors are a false argument. They have nothing in them that isn't aesthetic or cosmetic content just as the CM was supposed to be. They have once again placed non-aesthetic, non-cosmetic content on the CM which the Dev's stated wasn't going to happen after the Starship parts debacle.

Content is content, no matter how small and insignificant people think it is. It doesn't matter if it is available on the GTN, YouTube or anywhere else. What matters is that content is being put on the CM against what EA/BW said previously about content being placed on the CM that isn't a cosmetic or aesthetic item.

Again, that was a response to another post. Please see the previous post for context. The argument was made that backstory was as important as gear, that being the case, the argument is not flawed.

As for content (my whole argument is that backstory is NOT content), respond to my previous post:

Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?

It is all pertinent backstory to the game and is available to those who want to spend money on it.

Again, that was a response to another post. Please see the previous post for context. The argument was made that backstory was as important as gear, that being the case, the argument is not flawed.

As for content (my whole argument is that backstory is NOT content), respond to my previous post:

It is all pertinent backstory to the game and is available to those who want to spend money on it.

Backstory is content if it's part of the game.

Seems like we're talking about different things. Cubes contain lore content which is not accessible without CM involvement. That should never happened. We can argue about GTN (which relies on players and also should not be place for lore stuff in the beginning). We already discussed YouTube and other sources - you can read/watch whole story of every class there. That is simply not the point of this discussion. This is about what BW is trying to do or test here - shards of story on CM.

If it's not a problem for you - ok. But it is for me and a bunch of other people who believe all lore in this game should be accessible by normal means.

And you missed my argument that there is lore that is available outside the game that is more pertinent than the lore provided by the cubes. They are the books: SWTOR: Fatal Alliance, SWTOR: Deceived, SWTOR: Revan, SWTOR: Annihilation, the comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns. No one seems to want to answer this example. What makes the information provided by the cubes different, or more important, than the lore provided by these other sources? Because it comes on the CM?

OK BioWare, stop giving out these bits of lore and start charging for them out on the open market via your shop. Still make them, but charge for them, not on the CM, but the SWTOR shop

And you missed my argument that there is lore that is available outside the game that is more pertinent than the lore provided by the cubes. They are the books: SWTOR: Fatal Alliance, SWTOR: Deceived, SWTOR: Revan, SWTOR: Annihilation, the comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns. No one seems to want to answer this example. What makes the information provided by the cubes different, or more important, than the lore provided by these other sources? Because it comes on the CM?

OK BioWare, stop giving out these bits of lore and start charging for them out on the open market via your shop. Still make them, but charge for them, not on the CM, but the SWTOR shop

What makes it significant is in-game vs. other media sources. In-game lore should not be charged for, with the exception of an expansion. I hope this addresses your question satisfactorily enough.

Then back to my previous argument with another, gear is part of the game.

Gear is cosmetic. The gear needed for the game can be found in the game. If you want to wear something specific, you can find it through the CM. This is still a completely separate issue from lore being on the Cartel Market.