Tank or healer?

sunsplode

So I will play my final class - smuggler - soon and I will also prolly start a L60 at the same time. All my toons so far are DPS heheh and I am undecided between a L60 healer or tank.

Any suggestions? I play solo but also pug a lot. The current tacticals seem to be hard on tanks, but I don't mind learning.

What are the pros and cons of either? Thanks!

Tanks are needed slightly more than healers for pugged content. But you cant be a smuggling tank.

Thanks but no, I am going to level the smuggler from scratch as DPS and I will also start a L60 tank/healer. Maybe the question should be what would cause me less grief in pugs ;)

You might also think about how you have a tendency to play.

I just had the same dilemma, as I have been a solo dps player. I have played ranged classes more than melee for some reason. But, I just finished getting a JK to 65 and had fun. So, when I started playing with someone local we decided to play one tank and one healer. I ended up with tank because it felt like more of a challenge, or more of a reversal of roles for me. Having had fun with the JK didn't hurt. To give myself a bit of a break I decided to use the JK tank for my learning toon.

If tacticals are what you like, healers are the ones with the power to carry a group through them. Tanks are nice, but without healing backup you'll just die a lot. A healer can get 3 DPSers through them easily.

That's true. It became clear with the tacticals after 4.0

You might also think about how you have a tendency to play.

I just had the same dilemma, as I have been a solo dps player. I have played ranged classes more than melee for some reason. But, I just finished getting a JK to 65 and had fun. So, when I started playing with someone local we decided to play one tank and one healer. I ended up with tank because it felt like more of a challenge, or more of a reversal of roles for me. Having had fun with the JK didn't hurt. To give myself a bit of a break I decided to use the JK tank for my learning toon.

I also agree. The healer is important but the tank is more action packed. I wonder how far the tank can survive in tacticals without healing on gold n silver trash. would be fun to find out.