Medicine Operative/Sawbones Scoundrel Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Medicine Operatives/Sawbones Scoundrels.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase HPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)

• 2-Piece: Activating a healing ability has a 15% chance to grant Field Medic's Critical Bonus which causes your next Kolto Injection or Underworld Medicine to be a critical. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Reduces the energy cost of Kolto Infusion or Kolto Pack by 2.
  • 6-Piece: Reduces the cooldown of Recuperative Nanotech or Kolto Cloud by 3 seconds.

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty happy with the set bonus (once the 3.3 changes have occured) and don't see the need for any changes.

Maybe the only complaint I have is about the 2-piece; in boss fights I rarely make use of it since I don't always have time to watch my buff bar for the proc and there are too many situations where I have to be mobile and cannot stop and cast a UM just because I got the proc.

Something simple as highlighting the UM ability once we have the proc will go a long way I think because unlike the other classes, the Scoundrel healer doesn't make much use of abilitiy proc highlighting.

So in my opinion, leave the set bonuses as is. But if you feel the need to make changes, make changes to both the level 60 and upcoming level 65 tier. I don't like situations where I am forced to use some old armoring with less armor rating, endurance and main stat just because the new setbonus is worse than the old one.

Edited by Jerba

I'm pretty happy with the set bonus (once the 3.3 changes have occured) and don't see the need for any changes.

Maybe the only complaint I have is about the 2-piece; in boss fights I rarely make use of it since I don't always have time to watch my buff bar for the proc and there are too many situations where I have to be mobile and cannot stop and cast a UM just because I got the proc.

Something simple as highlighting the UM ability once we have the proc will go a long way I think because unlike the other classes, the Scoundrel healer doesn't make much use of abilitiy proc highlighting.

So in my opinion, leave the set bonuses as is. But if you feel the need to make changes, make changes to both the level 60 and upcoming level 65 tier. I don't like situations where I am forced to use some old armoring with less armor rating, endurance and main stat just because the new setbonus is worse than the old one.

I agree with Jerba's post on all points, particularly since I use the old 2 piece with newer 4 piece set and furthermore I like where your going with this on asking the community for their opinion. Please keep it up. :o

I know this may appear glib, but I don't mean it that way - I like to keep things simple. :)

2-piece bonus : +5% to all heals

Reason: Healing is what we do.

4-piece bonus: +2% to all damage

Reason: So we can help out on DPS races (eg. Underlurker)

6-piece bonus +2% to survivability

Reason: So we can live longer in hard-modes.

More Info:

I don't enjoy HM raiding, so I rarely do it.

I find my SM healing to be sufficient without the set bonuses.

So, I tend to defer gear drops to DPS and tanks since they seem more vital to raid success.

The faster DPS kills stuff, the less healing I have to do.

The more Damage tanks can mitigate, the more breathing room I have for healing.

Edited by Dohxuul
Swap the 2 and 4 piece set bonuses

Currently the six set bonus set is looking a hell of a lot better than the 3.0 set. Really agree with the UM proc talked about earlier seeing as I don't really use it in HM raiding unless there is urgent need for heals. Otherwise, reducing energy costs would be great. Only other thing is to make stim boost have a much shorter cooldown. In ranked it really can save an op's life if specced into correctly and operatives are pretty much squisy as hell. Give an operative to a dps guardian or Powertech and they'll stun block and kill you in seconds. stim boost shuld have reduced cooldown maybe a 30 second? even 15 would be nice.

I know this may appear glib, but I don't mean it that way - I like to keep things simple. :)

2-piece bonus: +2% to all damage

Reason: So we can help out on DPS races (eg. Underlurker)

4-piece bonus : +5% to all heals

Reason: Healing is what we do.

6-piece bonus +2% to survivability

Reason: So we can live longer in hard-modes.

More Info:

I don't enjoy HM raiding, so I rarely do it.

I find my SM healing to be sufficient without the set bonuses.

So, I tend to defer gear drops to DPS and tanks since they seem more vital to raid success.

The faster DPS kills stuff, the less healing I have to do.

The more Damage tanks can mitigate, the more breathing room I have for healing.

Jesus christ

4-Piece: Reduces the energy cost of Kolto Infusion or Kolto Pack by 2.

The 2 piece and 6 piece are fine but the 4 piece does need to be looked at. This ability costs 20 energy and is on a 9 second cooldown. Reducing its cost by 2 means it only uses 18 energy, and since the ability has a 9 second cooldown (or 8. something depending on your alacrity) you are only using 2 less energy every once and a while. This reduction in energy is so miniscule that you are better off running (before 3.3) a 2 piece old and 2 piece new and using the other set bonuses on a different class or spec. I would much rather have this either changed to something completely different or put on an ability that is frequently used without a cooldown.

The 2 piece and 6 piece are fine but the 4 piece does need to be looked at. This ability costs 20 energy and is on a 9 second cooldown. Reducing its cost by 2 means it only uses 18 energy, and since the ability has a 9 second cooldown (or 8. something depending on your alacrity) you are only using 2 less energy every once and a while. This reduction in energy is so miniscule that you are better off running (before 3.3) a 2 piece old and 2 piece new and using the other set bonuses on a different class or spec. I would much rather have this either changed to something completely different or put on an ability that is frequently used without a cooldown.

This. The energy saving is negligible - I'd rather have something like decreases Kolto Waves cd by 4 seconds if you don't finish the full cast, something that makes the bonuses more dynamic and less static/passive.

The 4 piece bonus is the only one needing adjustment. At the very moment, I dont have a reasonable, balanced idea for the 4 piece, so I wont make a suggestion 'till I have some time to consider. After 3.3 hits, the 4 piece is the only set bonus needing adjusted (3.3 fixes the useless 6 piece bonus).

Thanks! I greatly appreciate these threads looking for feedback.

Not sure about the 4-piece, yes it doesn't have big of an impact but I don't have energy problems to the point where they'd have to buff it (at least currently; I haven't healed on the PTS enough to know how it is after 3.3). I imagine that if they buff it, they would have to reduce healing somewhere else, so I'd rather they leave it alone.

I also think that the setboni shouldn't be that big of a game changer that they force you to change your rotation; just because someone doesn't have the setbonus shouldn't mean he can't make use of the class guides on Dulfy etc. There are many casual players without the setbonus.

And by the way, if you are updating the 2-piece proc, in the German client the buff tooltip has an extra space before the buff name, it says " Kritischer Bonus des Feldsanitäters". Not a very big bug but it has bothered me ever since 3.0 came out and hope the typo can get fixed some day.

Edited by Jerba

I'll be Captain Obvious here, but the fact anyone would even consider using a 2-piece bonus from level 60 plus a 2-piece bonus from level 55 instead of a 4 piece bonus from level 60 should indicate that either the previous 2-piece was incredibly OP or the current 4-piece needs some work. I'm curious, if proc highlighting was added so that people were made more aware of when the 4-piece was triggering, would that make it more valuable than the two 2-piece bonuses combined? I'm far too casual to know or have any good suggestions

I'll be Captain Obvious here, but the fact anyone would even consider using a 2-piece bonus from level 60 plus a 2-piece bonus from level 55 instead of a 4 piece bonus from level 60 should indicate that either the previous 2-piece was incredibly OP or the current 4-piece needs some work. I'm curious, if proc highlighting was added so that people were made more aware of when the 4-piece was triggering, would that make it more valuable than the two 2-piece bonuses combined? I'm far too casual to know or have any good suggestions

You mixed up the setboni; anyone who is using an old level 55 2-piece will have the level 60 2- and 4-piece, and the proc highlighting we suggest is for the 2-piece which everyone has already. So it would not change anything for players who use the old 2-piece; it is just a small QoL enhancement.

I think it was more that the current 6 piece is so worthless that it was better to shoot for the 60 4 piece and a 55 2 piece instead. That said, the 2 piece 55 bonus was 15% increased healing by one of the AOE heals so it wasn't OP persay but still VERY VERY valuable.

Edited by Ilysanth

I think it was more that the current 6 piece is so worthless that it was better to shoot for the 60 4 piece and a 55 2 piece instead. That said, the 2 piece 55 bonus was 15% increased healing by one of the AOE heals so it wasn't OP persay but still VERY VERY valuable.

Yes but you know the 4 piece is worthless as well when people who can only get sm set bonuses are buying 198 comm armorings instead of using a 192 4-piece :D

2-Piece: While Tactical Medicine is active Kolto Probes that expire on targets will leave an Exhausted Kolto Probe(max 1) that would heal for 10% of a Kolto Probe for half the time of a normal KP, doesn't crit. If Kolto Probe or Surgical Probe is applied to someone with EKP the EKP instantly heals for its remaining healing and is transformed into a KP(normal limit for KPs apply here).

4-Piece: Using Kolto Infusion(or maybe Scamper instead?) makes your next Kolto Infusion cost 10 energy and a moving cast. Lasts 15seconds. CD 30(45)seconds.

6-Piece: When you use Cloaking Screen all of your current Kolto Probes apply all of their remaining heal and turn into EKPs(this time 2 if the character had 2 KPs before cloaking). Healing by EKP doesn't put you in combat(or they don't tick while you are in stealth).

I won't even try to balance the right numbers, percentages, timers. I'm sure you guys will do better job. I just wanted to give you a few ideas that would make one of the most boring healers for me just a bit more fun. :)

Edited by Ethior

2pc - Increases kolto cloud's healing output by 15%

4pc - grants an additional 3rd roll on scamper before its cooldown takes effect

6pc - fine as it is

4 piece - wouldnt it worth for scrapper/concealment to have only 2piece dps set bonus and get a 3rd roll?

2-Piece: While Tactical Medicine is active Kolto Probes that expire on targets will leave an Exhausted Kolto Probe(max 1) that would heal for 10% of a Kolto Probe for half the time of a normal KP, doesn't crit. If Kolto Probe or Surgical Probe is applied to someone with EKP the EKP instantly heals for its remaining healing and is transformed into a KP(normal limit for KPs apply here).

4-Piece: Using Kolto Infusion(or maybe Scamper instead?) makes your next Kolto Infusion cost 10 energy and a moving cast. Lasts 15seconds. CD 30(45)seconds.

6-Piece: When you use Cloaking Screen all of your current Kolto Probes apply all of their remaining heal and turn into EKPs(this time 2 if the character had 2 KPs before cloaking). Healing by EKP doesn't put you in combat(or they don't tick while you are in stealth).

I won't even try to balance the right numbers, percentages, timers. I'm sure you guys will do better job. I just wanted to give you a few ideas that would make one of the most boring healers for me just a bit more fun. :)

I say, keep the 4piece and the 6piece coming in 3.3. Make the 2piece grant EKP when KP runs out. Make it not do any, or very little, healing, but when you kolto probe someone with EKP it should give 2 stacks of KP.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but the listed 6 piece set bonuses don't match up with the in-game ones. Currently, the 6 piece is "Reduces the cooldown of Kolto Waves by 1 second" which is next to useless. Please tell me if I missed something.

It will be changed in 3.3

Agreed here.... 2 and new 6 piece are great... 4 piece imo is not all that much of a bonus for operatives... maybe put in something that increases heals for a certain amount of time or buffs healing of an ability like surg probe/ emergency medpac or reduces energy cost of those skills?

4 piece - wouldnt it worth for scrapper/concealment to have only 2piece dps set bonus and get a 3rd roll?

Yes because our 2 piece and 4 piece are pretty much worthless (1% dps gain and 2 energy off of an already almost free ability) so I would run this 4 piece and then 2 piece OLD pve set bonus of 15% more crit on backblast/backstab. This is in pvp of course. Having three rolls would be almost game breaking in pvp in a lot of scenarios from my experience.

I've posted this on multiple other set bonus threads but I feel like the entire set bonus system needs an overhaul. Almost every dps class has the same set bonuses. It's 1% dps increase 10% off of some abilities cost and your auto crit. Only a few dps classes have any real set bonus but most are just these super generic set bonuses that have no effect on the class or how it plays what so ever. Healing set bonuses are pretty solid but the dps and tank ones are in a pretty sad state since 3.0 set bonuses were introduced.