Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Surely that's the perfect time to add to your ignore list? Personally, I don't care how good at the game you are, if you're racist, homophobic or misogynist, I don't want to play with you.

But reporting people in this game can be such a fart sometimes. Right-click, Report for Spam? Needs more options plz.

Actually, if click on the question mark to open a ticket, there is a drop down menu with an option for "report bad player behavior" or something like that. That's usually what I do. It takes more time but probably gets better direction than reporting for spam.

ps - a tweaker is what most people call meth addicts, not sure what that has to do with bisexuals, unless they're saying that meth addicts will sleep with anyone or something.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't know. Some general chat disuccion about Lord Cytharat is a guarantee every day on The Harbinger.

Yeah, I logged on to one of my imp toons on that server for maybe 15 minutes and he was the topic of discussion...some people were stating that they were reporting the flirt as a bug out of principle....then the discussion went to lesbians and how 'real' ones are ugly and all that.

Probably why I typically do Makeb dailies on the Pub side.

Answer: Because you keep hitting the [Flirt] button. Idiot.

Really, those people :rolleyes: It's almost as if the realisation that there are people playing the game who aren't (white) straight, cis-males somehow devalues their game experience and actual identity.

Oh no, I saw someone drinking coffee instead of tea and now I don't know what to believe anymore!

I always found it easy to ignore the [Flirt]s with males. It simply doesn't apply to me so I had no reason to even think about the option.

I think anyone who actually has a problem with this... might need to do a little soul-searching.

This add-on ( I refuse to call it an expansion) lacks on so many levels so far. I'm Lv 51 now and already moving into Lv 54 quest areas because apparently this is all there is. It's like this whole add-on consists of 20 quests (not enough to level appropriately) and they expect you to go back to other planets to actually reach Lv 55 down the line. And don't get me started about how crafting is useless with nothing to sell on the GTN and 1h wait until missions are finished.... wowee. Not really happy with this.

But yeah, SGR(A).... this is a joke. I said it before and I'll say it again, it seems like this add-on was created by 14 year old straight guys in puberty and when they think of SGR(A), voluptuous girls who sleep with other girls but love guys even better is the first (or only) thing coming to their minds.... I don't even know what to say to that.

Psst... women in this game are solely for the consumption of men... the study of (LS) Jaesa proves the rule.

If your life doesn't revolve around pleasing men, Bioware thinks you might as well just be a man.

I'm perfectly fine with this being added to the game, especially as a fan of lesbians!

I fully support this feature, it adds more control over your character which is fantastic for people interested in the RPG elements of SWTOR. I really have nothing negative to say, I'll be sure to check out some of the lesbian scenes myself... heheheh. I just hope that one of my male companions won't take something the wrong way and I'll be forced into a kissy scene with someone I consider a brother, I recall something like that happening in Dragon Age 2 where it put me in rivalry with Anders for not wanting to be more than bros with him.

So as long as there is a way to turn it off or avoid it if you're not interested, I'm fine with it.

Edited by Esperanz

Which has been repeated many times in this thread, so I'm a bit surprised by the quoted poster.

Well, I haven't read EVERY post in this thread, I was just told in game that Imperial side had male/male flirts and Republic got female/female flirts...

So, those are the full lead to a romance (one night stand) options (I realize they aren't companions, that's totally different), then there is some flirting Imperial women can do with other women, but they don't actually hook up like the Republic women can?

Is this correct?

Why there aren't more people like that in Red Eclipse? It would cheer up my day so much to see these! xD

Instead, every time my character steps her foot on the Volcanic Mesa, someone starts to insult Quinn in the general chat. Seriously. Happened to both of my imperial characters.

I'm cursed.

Wait, you actually LIKE Quinn and don't want to throw him out the airlock during a hyperspace jump?

So, those are the full lead to a romance (one night stand) options (I realize they aren't companions, that's totally different), then there is some flirting Imperial women can do with other women, but they don't actually hook up like the Republic women can?

Is this correct?

As far as I am aware, yes. Though I've not finished the Macro-binocular line, Evie Bo, with whom you can [Flirt] as a woman, dismisses your advances in the first conversation and Darth Acina, in the Seeker Droid line, you can also [Flirt] with and I am under the impression that you can, if you took the first option, invite her out to dinner.

That said, I do not believe either are comparable to the Republic line with Lemda Avesta.

As far as I am aware, yes. Though I've not finished the Macro-binocular line, Evie Bo, with whom you can [Flirt] as a woman, dismisses your advances in the first conversation and Darth Acina, in the Seeker Droid line, you can also [Flirt] with and I am under the impression that you can, if you took the first option, invite her out to dinner.

That said, I do not believe either are comparable to the Republic line with Lemda Avesta.

Which is basically 4 flirts and a kiss scene, with her saying "Call me." and of course, no way to call her.

This add-on ( I refuse to call it an expansion) lacks on so many levels so far. I'm Lv 51 now and already moving into Lv 54 quest areas because apparently this is all there is. It's like this whole add-on consists of 20 quests (not enough to level appropriately) and they expect you to go back to other planets to actually reach Lv 55 down the line. And don't get me started about how crafting is useless with nothing to sell on the GTN and 1h wait until missions are finished.... wowee. Not really happy with this.

But yeah, SGR(A).... this is a joke. I said it before and I'll say it again, it seems like this add-on was created by 14 year old straight guys in puberty and when they think of SGR(A), voluptuous girls who sleep with other girls but love guys even better is the first (or only) thing coming to their minds.... I don't even know what to say to that.

This "add-on" is built around you doing Ilum and getting XP there. It's not built around you going from Corellia straight to Makeb and hitting 50 there.

Of course, this does nothing for those who ran Ilum before Makeb came out, so don't have the opportunity to get XP from Ilum. Having recently ran a Jedi Knight up through the levels, I finished Corellia at level 52, which leads me to either going straight to Makeb or going to Ilum.

On my Smuggler that was already 50 when Makeb hit, but hadn't done Ilum, I found I went back to Corellia to finish Planet quests there, ran Ilum, to get to 55, plus Makeb content.

SGR they put in may be a joke, but it's also a joke that players couldn't accept that it wasn't in to begin with. Make a character with the tools your provided, while asking for more tools, instead of making characters you can't make and complaing you can't make it.

I want a lightsaber user who uses a blaster as well. It's not an option, so I keep asking for it, I don't go into game trying to make it one though, as it's not an option. :p

Wait, you actually LIKE Quinn and don't want to throw him out the airlock during a hyperspace jump?

My favourite companions are Kaliyo, Quinn and Tharan, in that order. :p Doesn't hurt him that he's probably the hottest male npc I've seen in the game so far. (Yudrass gets the second place.) But I also like his personality. He's interesting.

My favourite companions are Kaliyo, Quinn and Tharan, in that order. :p Doesn't hurt him that he's probably the hottest male npc I've seen in the game so far. (Yudrass gets the second place.) But I also like his personality. He's interesting.

Quinn has that mole going for him. Unf.

Also, love him or loathe him, he's the man who launched a thousand fanfics. That has to count for something. (Also, the fanfics which explore the reasoning for the Quinncident can and do make him a very sympathetic character.)

Psst... women in this game are solely for the consumption of men... the study of (LS) Jaesa proves the rule.

If your life doesn't revolve around pleasing men, Bioware thinks you might as well just be a man.

I guess you're right. And by enforcing that view, it becomes part of the gaming world paradigm that plagues us 'til this day:

Women don't play. To play, you need to be independent, have time at hand and need to be able to thoroughly enjoy yourself doing something that serves no immediate purpose in terms of procreation.

Since women's lives only revolve around guys, the concept not only of gaming, but playing in itself is alien to the female DNA. They simply don't have the time and mental capacity. *bows*

:rolleyes:

Gosh, I hated writing this.

Edited by Lent_San

The next storyline expansion for bounty hunter should have Mako get addicted to a holonet mmorpg. Because she totally would. She'd become the most notorious bot user and griefer on her server and there would be rumours that her guild wins pvp with lag spike hacks and exploits. She would dismiss the accusations with a "learn to play": she doesn't have to hack to be this good.

Also I suddenly want to hear the SW or the companions refer to the Quinncident in game.

Edited by Bytemite

I guess you're right. And by enforcing that view, it becomes part of the gaming world paradigm that plagues us 'til this day:

Women don't play. To play, you need to be independent, have time at hand and need to be able to thoroughly enjoy yourself doing something that serves no immediate purpose in terms of procreation.

Since women's lives only revolve around guys, the concept not only of gaming, but playing in itself is alien to the female DNA. They simply don't have the time and mental capacity. *bows*

:rolleyes:

Gosh, I hated writing this.

As long as people don't think all guys think like this.

When the majority of their audience is straight males, what do you expect? Look at the complaining that goes on now? Now imagine it 10times as much, when players can't flirt with a character.

According to this survey forty-seven percent of all players are women. And unless there was the survey specifically made for SWTOR this argument is invalid.

Whenever someone claims there are no girls on the internet, I'm amused because it shows how times change. Girls were rare on the internet twenty years ago, sure, but current generations are pretty much required to have some rudimentary knowledge about computers and browsing the internet regardless of gender. Not just for the social aspects but for school and research. Games just follow along logically.

Although yeah, in game, probably not a safe bet for a straight male gamer to hit on that hot chick avatar and ask for cyber. Strongly advise against that and not just because it skeezes up the game experience for everyone.

Edited by Bytemite

As long as people don't think all guys think like this.

Who says I was talking about guys? I've encountered numerous women that gave me strange looks and raised eyebrows when they realized I'm a female gamer. This is something that pertains to both sexes, most certainly.

Who says I was talking about guys? I've encountered numerous women that gave me strange looks and raised eyebrows when they realized I'm a female gamer. This is something that pertains to both sexes, most certainly.

Ah, right. I have found that sort of thing as well, though I've met some considerable level of hostility when stating as much. Girls can be so damn mean to one another. Nonetheless, it still stands. The point you've made is salient, pertinent and really freakin' insidious. It's an attitude that I don't think the majority of games developers actually hold, but too often the products they create support that attitude without meaning to; that needs to change. On the same note I've met too many people who seem to assume that all gamer guys support that attitude, though (conversely I've never met a single person who's claimed all gamer girls think like that). I feel it worth mentioning now and then that not all guys support such a sexist viewpoint.

Please don't think I'm attacking you or your point. I completely agree with you. My comment was simply an additional point.

<fixes italics tags, reminds self this isn't RPoL>

Ah, right. I have found that sort of thing as well, though I've met some considerable level of hostility when stating as much. Girls can be so damn mean to one another. Nonetheless, it still stands. The point you've made is salient, pertinent and really freakin' insidious. It's an attitude that I don't think the majority of games developers actually hold, but too often the products they create support that attitude without meaning to; that needs to change. On the same note I've met too many people who seem to assume that all gamer guys support that attitude, though (conversely I've never met a single person who's claimed all gamer girls think like that). I feel it worth mentioning now and then that not all guys support such a sexist viewpoint.

Please don't think I'm attacking you or your point. I completely agree with you. My comment was simply an additional point.

<fixes italics tags, reminds self this isn't RPoL>

Highlighted the important point that I wanted to make. I don't even think the SWTOR creators purposely create this game with the mindset for it to be appealing to male straight gamers mostly, it's more the neglect of other options that's been shifting this game in the direction it has been heading in, with male straight gamers claiming this game for themselves, reporting maleXmale flirts as bugs just because THEY CAN.

I've been following Brian Audette and Hal Hood on Twitter. One is lead writer, the other is lead developer, I suppose. Both seem like reasonable guys, true nerds in the best sense of the word, with all due respect for women or LGBT people.

Why doesn't this adequatly translate into the game?

Could it be insecurity on dev's part to take the safe path instead of the risky one? Maybe. I've tweeted BAudette about how I was surprised that male X male flirts were missing from Rep side and he said they were aiming for more diversity in the future. He seemed honest and engaged. I truly believe he feels that way. Why they chose this non-inclusive path for Makeb though, it baffles me.

Right now, those silly straight males (presumably) who claim this game for themselves feel all justified to do so. And they will for some time to come.

That's the thing that really irks me, because even when this game gets more diverse (which I hope it will), those types will then feel as if this game was taken away from them. They will scream bloody murder with every addition that's not catering to them.

This is what entitlement is all about and this entitlement is infectuous and insidious indeed, unfortunately.

I know of course not all male gamers feel that way (and I know you didn't want to attack me ;)), many many do not, but to often they get drowned out by the noise those annoying types make and don't do enough to fight back. And girls may find themselves playing male characters all of a sudden and enjoying them, because it almost feels like a harassment-free gaming experience, at last. Which may reinforce the view that most gamers are guys and girls are in the minority, since it's an open secret that many guys play female chars. Not once has anyone assumed me to be a female gamer though, playing my male char. I'm automatically assumed to be male.

Strange, strange stuff. It almost feels like we're in the renaissance stages of Gaming and social norms are still negotiable, with the scales only very slowly tipping towards more diversity and inclusion.

Edited by Lent_San

Believe it or not, those are real games too.

I never said they weren't. My point is, that survey says gamers, and accounts for those who play any video game.

Example...that survey was pointed to, to suggest that's the numbers for every game. Now, and admittedly this is just my experience and I could be wrong, that's far from the case. Look at Madden Football, the poster I quoted would thusly use that survey to suggest that almost 50% of the players of Madden Football are female gamers, which is highly doubtful (note again, this is just in what I've seen).

So the survey linked to, doesn't stop a game from being more male or female player dominated, it just shows the video game market shouldn't neglect almost half of the people willing to play video games.

Current studies indicate 60% of MMORPG players are male and 40% are female.

Despite certain attitudes and behaviours that might be encountered in game, one of which I just related, MMORPGs are one of the more women friendly genres out there, in part because demand from males gamers for female avatars also happened to create an inviting first impression for women.

Not arguing one way or another, just putting that out there.

Edited by Bytemite